Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

Also no, that first picture shows my exhaust, based on two facts: The Milkyway is not beige, and I moved my ship around a lot before making that screenshot, so I know how my loving exhaust looks like.

…but… the Milky way often is beige, especially when lensed, and exhaust is grey if anything (not to mention not very visible at long range). Also, why would it lens your exhaust unless it's on the other side of the black hole. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Photex posted:

Someone talk me out of buying this game, I've been looking at it forever and

Read the few posts right above yours. Do you want a game that demands fifty hours of your life to advance a ship?

This is a game you buy and then not touch until an exploit goes public.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
To be fair it's really fun to bumble around in a Sidewinder doing odd jobs and finding the odd upgrade and being blown up for parking wrong until you get the hang of the game. If you try and sprint to the end game you'll have a bad time as the end game doesn't exist.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Zigmidge posted:

Read the few posts right above yours. Do you want a game that demands fifty hours of your life to advance a ship?

This is a game you buy and then not touch until an exploit goes public.

I really don't understand this kind of attitude, especially as the smaller ships are way more fun to fly than the bigguns. Anyone who has to get the biggest ship as quickly as possible is seriously compensating for something...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Okay so change "50 hours" to "complete stagnation"

Mu77ley posted:

Anyone who has to get the biggest ship as quickly as possible is seriously compensating for something...

It's a video game, son.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 8, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

…but… the Milky way often is beige, especially when lensed, and exhaust is grey if anything (not to mention not very visible at long range). Also, why would it lens your exhaust unless it's on the other side of the black hole. :confused:

Well, I realize I kind of hosed over myself by only making one single (and not very good) picture of this phenomenon, so let's file this discussion until I stumble over another black hole and then I can hopefully remember to record this on video. Until then I guess this question has to remain unsolved! :shrug:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Zigmidge posted:

Okay so change "50 hours" to "complete stagnation"

Riiiiiight. I prefer to call it "having fun playing the game".

Maybe you just don't like Elite games? That's fine though. Just play something else.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

No I quite enjoy flying spaceships and I enjoy when there's an exploit to allow me to try new and different things in a reasonable amount of time such that my perspective doesn't get warped to the point where I'm throwing around car ownership idioms in defence of blistering grinds.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

Well, I realize I kind of hosed over myself by only making one single (and not very good) picture of this phenomenon, so let's file this discussion until I stumble over another black hole and then I can hopefully remember to record this on video. Until then I guess this question has to remain unsolved! :shrug:

Yeah, the location of the hole is a bit too obtuse in that picture to really show anything, but if you could find a good showing of exhaust seen through the effect, that would be neat.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Libluini posted:

Tippis posted:

Yeah, the location of the hole is a bit too obtuse in that picture to really show anything, but if you could find a good showing of exhaust seen through the effect, that would be neat.

No question about it, that is the milky way in your picture. Exhaust is not lensed by black holes at this time.

Asp exhaust trails visibly unaffected. Also visible in the last few seconds of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USoXfHbY4zM&t=158s

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Zigmidge posted:

No I quite enjoy flying spaceships and I enjoy when there's an exploit to allow me to try new and different things in a reasonable amount of time such that my perspective doesn't get warped to the point where I'm throwing around car ownership idioms in defence of blistering grinds.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. Personally I find cheating at games cheapens the whole experience.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Mu77ley posted:

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. Personally I find cheating at games cheapens the whole experience.

we have a channel on the discord exclusively for moneymaking because people hate grinding that much, grumble about how it breaks your immersion there

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Good Dumplings posted:

we have a channel on the discord exclusively for moneymaking because people hate grinding that much, grumble about how it breaks your immersion there

I don't recall ever mentioning the dreaded "immersion" word, and I especially don't give a poo poo about what other people do. I just personally don't cheat in games as I find it just them for me. So, I won't exploit in Elite in the same way I won't use a console command to give myself tons of money in Skyrim, or infinite ammo in Doom, etc.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They aren't exploits, they are gold rushes and should be treated as such.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

TomR posted:

edit: I've been doing this poo poo since Unicorn runs and I agree.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 8, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

No question about it, that is the milky way in your picture. Exhaust is not lensed by black holes at this time.

Asp exhaust trails visibly unaffected. Also visible in the last few seconds of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USoXfHbY4zM&t=158s

Your exhaust trail is kind of hard to see. I watched the last few seconds multiple times and I couldn't see anything except some slight wavering behind the engine glow. Since this bothered me somewhat, I made a recording of my own engine glow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQTYNyroKg

So, I think that trail can get bend by a black hole. Of course this video also in fact proves the galaxy is beige out here at Colonia. So my dumb picture looks to be really just the galaxy getting twirled up behind my exhaust, oops! :v:

But really, the next time I visit a massive black hole like my last one, I'll make really goddamn sure I have documentation for every claim I make. (Also this way I can make sure I'm not just an idiot.)

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Krycek posted:

The game is good. Play with goons and make pubbies cry.

Play with goons and try to make pubbies cry, but they'll just log out and back in to solo mode then happily fly off into space with no consequences. Then you cry.

Dumb game is dumb.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TomR posted:

The actual missions that are triggered by the background sim are not exploits. The whole mode-switch to stack as many missions as possible and then suiciding to get back to the station bit is the exploit bit.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mu77ley posted:

The actual missions that are triggered by the background sim are not exploits. The whole mode-switch to stack as many missions as possible and then suiciding to get back to the station bit is the exploit bit.

It's not an exploit, just really loving lazy programming.

Believe me I hate it as much as you.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

It's an exploit that comes from a weird design decision made from a broken promise when the game was in kickstarter, ergo, kickstarter ruins everything.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Meatsicle posted:

Play with goons and try to make pubbies cry, but they'll just log out and back in to solo mode then happily fly off into space with no consequences. Then you cry.

Dumb game is dumb.

The ability to completely avoid and/or troll gankers if you want sounds like a great design to me. ;)

The salt must flow...

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

You sound rather emotional. It's just a game.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Mu77ley posted:

The ability to completely avoid and/or troll gankers if you want sounds like a great design to me. ;)

The salt must flow...

Yeah what the gently caress. Why would you be upset you don't have the ability to ruin other people's playing if they want to play singleplayer.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Bilal posted:

Yeah what the gently caress. Why would you be upset you don't have the ability to ruin other people's playing if they want to play singleplayer.

Elite is a great game because instead of pubby tears we get ganker tears.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mu77ley posted:

You sound rather emotional. It's just a game.
Nice meltdown. :ironicat:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought this game on a whim, what do I do?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shoot poo poo at poo poo and blow poo poo up is one option to start with.

Seriously, run through the tutorials (they're proper tutorials now) for the basics, and then for some fun early earnings you can head to a RES (resource extraction site) and follow the cops around and help them to kill bad guys for some bounties.

This is a little dated now, but should give some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLsHmTe-4MU&t=1s

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This guy has a good channel on stuff to do in the early game and how to build a narrative in your head to care about any of it. They are pretty dated now, so there is a lot more content not covered and new mechanics, but for just general "flying my spaceship" stuff, he dabbles in a bit of everything.

The tutorial missions are supposedly well done now, with scripting and voice acting and everything. Finish all of them except the combat tutorial (only Cmdr JamesTK ever beat it) and do whatever sounds fun. Try to have a couple of goals you can chip at so you don't pigeon hole yourself into a single grind. Maybe try to get rank for a Sol permit while saving up for a Diamondback Scout. Do smuggling missions around the starter systems while trying to gain rank with a certain faction.

Get on Discord. Other people make the game much more fun, so find some goons and hop in a res to shoot stuff. They will also explain what all of that means!

Do not take any missions to Hutton Orbital in Alpha Centauri.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Meatsicle posted:

Dumb game is dumb.

:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

:allears:

such :salt: today!

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Mike the TV posted:

Elite is a great game because instead of pubby tears we get ganker tears.
This, but unironically.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

reminder that if you judge the value of a game by how much you can gently caress with "pubbies" you're probably a broken human being :dings:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

reminder that if you judge the value of a game by how much you can gently caress with "pubbies" you're probably a broken human being :dings:

that's also the entire gimmick of ~the~ most successful SA game group, so :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

that's also the entire gimmick of ~the~ most successful SA game group, so :shrug:

yes and my point still stands

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've never understood "pubbie / ganker" talk becaus, playing online and generally flying around populated areas, I rarely see players at all. If I'm lucky I'll see a player docked at a station. I used to see a few players in RES back when that was the best way to make money, but I don't think I've ever seen a player outside of a station since then. I'd love to annoy pubbies, get interdicted by players, etc, but it never happens!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

DancingShade posted:

The Marco Qwent invite will take 2-3 days of mission board scumming before it spawns.

That's not a joke.

That's just bad luck. I got mine in less than 10 board refreshes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's not even a gimmick, people just play eve online within the rules of that game, like you know, normal people do. That just happens to make some people *extremely* angry because it goes against their own e-honour code. Also because teamwork is overpowered af, but they want to be some kind of good player and that doesn't really show as much when you're in a group.

Krycek posted:

That's just bad luck. I got mine in less than 10 board refreshes.

:same:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Check out the diamond frogs thread in PGS. Jump into the discord and we'll get you started.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

The most fun I've ever had with online games was when rival player groups were at odds with each other to the point that loving with each other became THE game over the actual designed mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Lol my e-morality reeeeeee

• Locked thread