Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

After The War posted:

Here, this will keep me from emptyquoting:

Clive Merrison :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Eddie Robson, without a doubt.

Yeah, he's consistently really drat good - his 8th Doctor Adventures stuff in particular I've loved.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, I've found that Big Finish to be in a bit of a rut for the past few years. My appreciation for most of their main range scripts seems to hover about a 7/10, and it doesn't really feel like they're trying to push the envelop much any more.

Have you heard Aquitane yet?

Definitely gonna second Simon Guerrier here too, his work in the Companion Chronicles range (especially Home Truths ) is some of my favorite material that BF has ever produced. He's got a knack for writing fully realized worlds/premises and dropping the Doctor and friends into them, kind of like Robert Holmes but without the passion for scaring kids

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Definitely gonna second Simon Guerrier here too, his work in the Companion Chronicles range (especially Home Truths ) is some of my favorite material that BF has ever produced. He's got a knack for writing fully realized worlds/premises and dropping the Doctor and friends into them, kind of like Robert Holmes but without the passion for scaring kids

The Sara Kingdom stuff, oh God yes. If anything, he's good at coming up with things that scare adults - the framing backstory in The Drowned World and Guardian of the Solar System would resonate more with lived experience, especially for parents.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Currently listening to Doctor Who and the Pirates and it might be the best thing I've ever heard. Every audio I listen to I love Colin Baker more and more.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cargohills posted:

Currently listening to Doctor Who and the Pirates and it might be the best thing I've ever heard. Every audio I listen to I love Colin Baker more and more.

That's such a good audio. I know some people find the tonal shift towards the end jarring, but it makes sense if you've been following Evelyn's character arc.

And worry not, there is no end to Colin love. Soon you too will be grabbing everyone with a vague interest in Doctor Who ("I think I saw something with David Tennis once?") and telling them they need to be listening to Colin Baker audios. I was proselytizing to geek friends who helped us move over the weekend, but they're still biased from the TV stories and don't seem interested in BF. :smith:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh no, you are going to sing!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BSam posted:

Oh no, you are going to sing!

Yes, I am.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Have you heard Aquitane yet?

Yeah, I've heard most of the past year's releases. I didn't really bowl me over, tbh, though I liked the main robot character a lot. I might try it again, though, given that several people have mentioned it, and that trilogy in general, to be better than the rest of the year's material. (God, Absolute Power was just completely atrocious).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've heard most of the past year's releases. I didn't really bowl me over, tbh, though I liked the main robot character a lot. I might try it again, though, given that several people have mentioned it, and that trilogy in general, to be better than the rest of the year's material. (God, Absolute Power was just completely atrocious).

Oh, I thought it was just the Terrible Big Finish American Accent (patent pending) that was throwing me. I just started that one the other night.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just realized the only Big Finish story I actually own on CD is The Maltese Penguin.

I have no idea why that's the one I own in a physical format. Was it a subscriber bonus or something? I've only ever bought the download versions of stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 12 Days of Christmas promotion is over and as usual they've done a repeat day for everything, so I could buy what I needed in one go. Looking forward to River Song Volume 2... it's got Colin Baker in it! :swoon:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The 12 Days of Christmas promotion is over and as usual they've done a repeat day for everything, so I could buy what I needed in one go. Looking forward to River Song Volume 2... it's got Colin Baker in it! :swoon:

They brought back Commander Maxil?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just realized the only Big Finish story I actually own on CD is The Maltese Penguin.

I have no idea why that's the one I own in a physical format. Was it a subscriber bonus or something? I've only ever bought the download versions of stories.

I think that one was never released as a download?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The 5th Doctor will be so thril-

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Got a cheap Audible credit and not sure if I want to grab another series of Jago & Litefoot or the audiobook of Big Bang Generation. I like Jago & Litefoot but I still haven't listened to most of the four series I already have of theirs, whereas a Twelve and Benny story read by Lisa Bowerman is something a bit different and pretty appealing.

vegetables posted:

I think that one was never released as a download?

Nah, it's not one of the stories that was left to languish on CD only thankfully. It was first released as a subscriber bonus though, although I think you only get the digital version of the bonuses with digital subscriptions, so that doesn't really answer things either :shrug:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I have a feeling he played someone else in the early Dr Who episodes, I may need to rewatch to recall who.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

Got a cheap Audible credit and not sure if I want to grab another series of Jago & Litefoot or the audiobook of Big Bang Generation. I like Jago & Litefoot but I still haven't listened to most of the four series I already have of theirs, whereas a Twelve and Benny story read by Lisa Bowerman is something a bit different and pretty appealing.

I love Benny, but The Big Bang Generation is not good. If that's your first exposure to that side of the universe and cast, then it's worth pointing out how out of character some of them are (and given that TBBG was meant to be something of a send off for those characters, that's pretty egregious). But, then again, if that's your first exposure to those characters, you'll probably not notice.

On the other hand, that season of Jago and Lightfoot features killer frogs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought that The Year Of Specials was bad, but The Year Of Nothing was worse.

I realize why BBC can't say "drat the arts, we're putting the whole budget for classical music into Doctor Who". But can't they work with their more deep-pocketed international broadcasters? Nine's episodes were partially funded by the Canadian CBC, if I remember right.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It still blows my mind that I can see scads of Doctor Who merch in stores all over malls in the US and in toy stores, something which would have been impossible 30 years ago even when it was run of the mill in the UK, and yet none of that money can go back into the show.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

But can't they work with their more deep-pocketed international broadcasters? Nine's episodes were partially funded by the Canadian CBC, if I remember right.

Maybe I'm misremembering now since it's been some time, but I think series nine was actually coproduced by BBC America.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's too bad that there's no deep-pocketed international streaming service that's always hungry for content which would love to host Doctor Who. That could be a good source of production capital.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
IMO it's extremely important that Doctor Who remains a product of a publicly-funded broadcaster, even if that means we don't get as much of it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I can't imagine Netflix being a very good platform for a family show either. Their current crop of original content is all comedy/drama for an adult audience.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cargohills posted:

I can't imagine Netflix being a very good platform for a family show either. Their current crop of original content is all comedy/drama for an adult audience.

DoctorWhat posted:

IMO it's extremely important that Doctor Who remains a product of a publicly-funded broadcaster, even if that means we don't get as much of it.

But Netflix carried Doctor Who previously and that didn't undermine its status as a public production. Why couldn't licensing revenue go into the production budget?

Anyway, speaking as a Canadian viewer, I'd love if they came to a licensing agreement to have new episodes crackerjack fast on the 'Flix.

e. just to clarify, I don't mean to remove it from the BBC, but rather to put new episodes up fast in non-BBC markets.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Because the BBC isn't allowed to do that. We can't have the best of both worlds in this situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cargohills posted:

:confused: No it isn't? They commission a poo poo-ton of kids stuff. They've got a deal with Dreamworks Animation to make stuff only for Netflix, hence why every Dreamworks movie has a spin-off series, and where the new Voltron came from. Plus stuff like Beat Bugs and I think they have a deal for a lot of toy tie-in stuff.

Plus they co-produced the most recent Degrassi, and there's the new Lemony Snicket show that's just going up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Craptacular! posted:

I realize why BBC can't say "drat the arts, we're putting the whole budget for classical music into Doctor Who". But can't they work with their more deep-pocketed international broadcasters? Nine's episodes were partially funded by the Canadian CBC, if I remember right.

I believe BBC America, which is co-owned by AMC and gets advertiser money, has been co-financing Who since ... 2011, I want to say.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

None of it's really for a family audience, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cargohills posted:

None of it's really for a family audience, though.

What do you mean by "family audience" then?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The same thing it normally means in the context of Doctor Who, which is that it's supposed to be enjoyable for children and adults instead of one or the other. As far as I can tell most stuff on Netflix for kids tend to be cartoons aimed solely at them.

e: Maybe Lemony Snicket, actually, but apart from that not much else.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 8, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

CommonShore posted:

But Netflix carried Doctor Who previously and that didn't undermine its status as a public production.

licensing the rights to show reruns of something that already exists before you came along is completely different from financing the production of something and therefore having some control over it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

I believe BBC America, which is co-owned by AMC and gets advertiser money, has been co-financing Who since ... 2011, I want to say.

They've been confinancing since The Impossible Astronaut, though only those two specific episodes in the entirety of Season 6 as far as I know.

That said, every time the show films over in the US, I imagine it's part of the deal. I imagine Rachel Talalay's involvement also had something to do with it all, but I'm just guessing.

The show's been using overseas filming as a way of offsetting costs since at least Season 5, and has been filming overseas since Season 3. Spain, The Canary Islands, Croatia... I imagine they get to write a decent amount off in tax breaks.

(Given that, I'm surprised they haven't filmed in Australia yet).

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I would have agreed with this in the RTD years, but I can't really think of any recent Who that a non-public broadcaster would have vetoed. Maybe Sleep No More?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The point isn't really about individual episode quality.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do we know when this season begins?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

april

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Conservative Party leans forward with great interest every time somebody suggests,"Hey maybe somebody could co-finance Doctor Who..." because then they can say,"Look at this wonderful public-private partnership and all the benefits it creates, we should partially privatize the BBC! Yes a mostly privately owned BBC would be a wonderful thing. Fully privatize the BBC!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What are the benefits if Doctor Who stays fully under the control of a govt broadcasting company?

Surely not protection from cancellation due to ratings, as that didn't help in the 80s.

Revenue from it going to fund other BBC productions? But that wasn't why it was revived, in fact there was no guarantee whatsover when it was brought back it wouldn't flop.

Editorial control, keeping it's message more liberal and more progressive? What if the govt goes hard right?

I'm largely playing devil's advocate here, since I'd not necessarily want to see Doctor Who go fully private because then it could be cancelled even quicker. But it irks me that we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule where every few years the show is basically off the air due to budgetary problems, many of which would be offset if some of the millions of dollars in licensing and merch revenue could go back into the show's budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Astroman posted:

we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule
first world problems

• Locked thread