Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The new Sherlock season is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not according to the people who watch it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Has anyone watched that Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix series yet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It hasn't started yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It doesn't come out until the 13th.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just started S2 of Person of Interest. It's officially good now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not according to the people who watch it.

I don't even see a thread for it here. And I watch it and think it's great :agesilaus:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It hasn't started yet.
Oh I saw a review on IGN and was like "Oh that came out already?"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

It comes out on Friday the 13th, appropriately enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, reviews hit last week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

I don't even see a thread for it here. And I watch it and think it's great :agesilaus:

UK thread. The premiere was bullshit, but general twitter buzz I'm hearing for ep 2 is stronger.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh that's neat, it seems the kind of thing my wife would like to watch with me so I'll hunt that out now and hope they like it at least.

Escobarbarian posted:

UK thread. The premiere was bullshit, but general twitter buzz I'm hearing for ep 2 is stronger.

Ah, gone from being irregular terrible to just regular terrible then ;)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Precisely!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a Golden Globes thread in case you want to see which studios and networks spent the most to bring home a gold statue this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently nobody at Fox cares as they have scheduled some of their regular shows tonight, like Bobs, Simpsons and Zorn.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently nobody at Fox cares as they have scheduled some of their regular shows tonight, like Bobs, Simpsons and Zorn.

Well, scheduled is the key word. Nothing is starting in the correct timeslot right now because of football anyways.

Doesn't look like CBS or ABC care either as they have new episodes airing in the slot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 9, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

That specific thing is actually explained.

In general, they basically googled people who lived a hundreds of years ago.

What I don't understand is why they give so little of a poo poo about maintaining cover. There are a lot of things that just plain don't make any sense at all and feel like they were written because someone thought a specific scene was cool and wanted to set it up.

One thing they never address is how it would be possible to fake being an FBI agent for even a few days with no knowledge whatsoever about it. He'd get flagged almost immediately as acting suspicious. Missing meetings, no loving clue what cases he was working on, not filling out paperwork correctly. Right away they would think he was compromised.

The writers never address this. They never show him figuring out how fake it or learning how to be an agent. They show him loving up a bunch, like not knowing how to log in to his computer, but they never do an episode about it or anything. It's just kind of "he's the FBI guy" with no explanation of how he's pulling it off. There's literally more drama about the brain damaged woman maintaining her cover than how difficult it would be for the FBI guy. The season ends strong, but there are just so many missed opportunities in the first half.

I never thought I would complain that a show didn't have enough relationship drama. Most shows shoehorn relationship drama into a premise that doesn't need it. This is a show where people in relationships die and are replaced by dopplegangers, and the conflict that this creates makes up almost 1.5 episodes out of the entire season. It should be central platform for the writers to show us what the characters are like.

It was hard to follow in the first 4 episodes. Didn't make any sense. But the kitchen sink cast pulled it through.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Well duh

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

Out of curiosity, what did the turnaround for you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lilikoi posted:

I thought it was pretty, but terrible. Like all of Tarsem Singh's poo poo.

The worst part is that it wasn't even that pretty. :negative:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

The turnaround started about episode 11. A big problem for me with the first 9-10 episodes was that the episode plots were really generic, bog-standard procedural poo poo that I found it impossible to care about. There wasn't the cast chemistry to carry the show despite the generic and boring plots.

But when John got put in the wheelchair, Finch got a lot more to do and it forced them to expand their dynamic. At the same time, I felt like this is where the writers hit their stride in terms of the plots being more engaging. So I feel like episodes 10-23 make a pretty solid first season.

I would not have given this show a chance if I wasn't doing nothing on winter break and able to just power through it. It's not amazing, but where it's at now, after the first episode of season 2, I think it's a good procedural.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It comes out on Friday the 13th, appropriately enough.
Going to be great collecting roof samples that day, nothing bad could possibly happen right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I lost all my respect for Tom Hardy when I found out he loves vaping

Vaping, truly the scourge of the 21st century.

Ever wanted to voluntarily addict yourself to nicotine without even the sweet flavor of tobacco?! HAVE I GOT THE PRODUCT FOR YOU!

I bet Ethan Hawke vapes. Ugh

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You obviously know nothing about vaping there...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Taboo was pretty interesting. Definitely more of a tone piece than anything else, but it's extremely thick and aggressive in its style. Probably the closest thing we'll get to a Bloodborne movie/tv show (there's even a line about madness coming from the umbilical cord)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I just watched the new years episode last night, and man that was not enjoyable. I feel like I haven't really liked an episode since like season 2, which was only like 4-5 episodes ago but was also 4-5 years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Amy Acker eases the pain. Sarah Shahi completes the circle

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

The second episode was my favorite episode of the entire series, by a fairly wide margin. I think it's easily the best story they've done and I can't wait for the third episode. I thought the premiere was quite good as well but the second episode built off of it incredibly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sherlock has been terrible since episode 1 and the ching chong china bullshit in episode 2 cemented it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sherlock is garbage TV to watch when you want to turn your brain off.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I liked Taboo and will watch the rest but it kind of felt like ... a good adaptation of a slightly dark YA novel? Hardy was a bit too-cool-for-school, like the last third of Count of Monte Cristo but without any of the development. Hopefully Pryce and Lord Percy Jr at the EIC or his ~dark past~ will provide some kind of obstacle in the following episodes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sherlock is garbage

you didn't need any words after this

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've defended Sherlock for a long time but man that first episode this year... :negative:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MiddleOne posted:

I've defended Sherlock for a long time but man that first episode this year... :negative:

I think I finally said "oh gently caress this" when they revealed how sherlock didn't die. I forget what it was, but I remember it was really stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are you talking about the second season or did they fake his death again?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Aphrodite posted:

no, Mary just jumped in front of a bullet for him

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought Sherlock straight up murdered someone and fled the country

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sherlock has about one good episode per season. Which is not worth watching the two other loving terrible ones for.

I remember when he faked his death the first time. In the completely obvious and predictable way that was telegraphed AND foreshadowed. Which is fine. But then after the season break, they had to spend 15 minutes of the next episode "revealing" how it was done because it was somehow a big deal.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread