Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Do audiophiles do DAT? I seem to remember the format not lasting very long.

Techmoan has a new video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4K1QKKPX_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Oh boy my favourite site is at it again:

http://www.lessloss.com/laminar-streamer-sd-player-p-207.html

Such wood!

Much digital!

Vintage wow!

How much?
Please...
Look for yourself.
Just remember: 2+ Units: 5% off 4+ Units: 10% off !!!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
90K$ could certainly afford more than a lovely LCD1602.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Probably just the guts of a Playstation shoved in a fancy case.

Actually that might induce audiophiles to but it, never mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Kingdom posted:

Do audiophiles do DAT? I seem to remember the format not lasting very long.

Techmoan has a new video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4K1QKKPX_g

I like his videos, so will definitely be watching this one. As for DAT... it was never really a consumer product really, the recording studios I used to use in the 90s would master to ADAT which were about the size of video cassettes and then mixdown to DAT in 2 channels for your master copy. Obviously with everything going hard disk based, the future was limited but it was the go to format for a decent time period, especially as a lot of places won't upgrade gear that they know works well until they have to.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like his videos, so will definitely be watching this one. As for DAT... it was never really a consumer product really

Well spoilers for the guy's video, but there's a reason why it was never really a consumer product that had nothing to do with its merits as such.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jesus, that RIAA letter is ghastly. What a surprise they are behind stifling yet another promising technology.

As usual, I want every bit of tech shown, whether in the flesh or in catalogues. Sony's higher end 90s stuff still looks great when most of the other manufacturers seem to put out a lot of tacky equipment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ehh, I don't known that DAT could have really gone anywhere on its own, as a consumer format, even if the record companies had been fully behind it. The only aspect it had that was really useful to consumers was that it could store a whole 2 hours of music (well, it could go to 3 hours using thinner tape, but that was more likely to snap) versus the 74-80 minute commercial CD release. But in exchange, there were a lot more moving parts so the players were less reliable, and it still had the problem that you couldn't near-instantly skip tracks like you could on CD. On top of that, the physical media was going to remain far more expensive to mass produce than plain CDs were.

The smaller size compared to regular cassettes, as he mentioned, could have eventually been decent for portable devices. But the extra complexity means those were going to be nowhere near as robust as regular cassette portables until they had a lot more time to perfect them. And that would be a big issue, especially since proper MP3 player type devices were going to show up at the end of the century no matter what.

Of course they do sound great, and there's absolutely no question that they were excellent for people in the business of making their own audio content, or who needed to archive existing audio content off of other formats. I just question their practicality for the consumer even if the RIAA hadn't literally poo poo themselves over the idea of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How much time was there anyway between the intended market release of DAT and the prevalence of recordable CDs?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A long time

quote:

CD-R recording systems available in 1990 were similar to the washing machine-sized Meridian CD Publisher, based on the two-piece rack mount Yamaha PDS audio recorder costing $35,000, not including the required external ECC circuitry for data encoding, SCSI hard drive subsystem, and MS-DOS control computer. By 1992, the cost of typical recorders was down to $10,000–12,000, and in September 1995, Hewlett-Packard introduced its model 4020i manufactured by Philips, which, at $995, was the first recorder to cost less than $1000.[1]

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
If I'm remembering right it was maybe 1998 or so when CD burners and mp3 files became a thing and by 1999-2000 everyone could pirate music if they wanted. That gives a long time for DAT to take off if it was pushed by music studios but I think the complexity of the players still would have held it back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MP3 was a thing from the mid nineties, but the encoder wasn't mature and the normal quality was 112kbit with the 'good' ones being 128kbit. It also wasn't amazingly portable because most people were using floppy discs, but the potential was there and it was impressive how good the compression was.

My first 2x CD burner came from a big box store for around $200 in 2000 for school projects, and they were gaining mainstream popularity around that time but I didn't know a huge amount of people with them. I remember my 466mhz whatever shitbox struggled so much that if I breathed on the mouse while it burnt it would probably fail. I'm sure it was only 3 years later that I had a DVD burner, which I won in a competition, stuff started moving quickly then.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TomR posted:

If I'm remembering right it was maybe 1998 or so when CD burners and mp3 files became a thing and by 1999-2000 everyone could pirate music if they wanted. That gives a long time for DAT to take off if it was pushed by music studios but I think the complexity of the players still would have held it back.

Not to forget that blank CDs were expensive, whereas you could reuse DAT tapes.

Also, were portable CD recorders ever a thing?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
there were definitely affordable burners in the late 1990s because that's when everoyne got their PlayStation's chipped and buying pirated games

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm having "Buffer Underrun" PTSD flashbacks from this vein of the conversation. A wonderful error when it meant $3 in the garbage every time it showed up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm having "Buffer Underrun" PTSD flashbacks from this vein of the conversation. A wonderful error when it meant $3 in the garbage every time it showed up.

Oh Christ. Now I've gotten similar flashbacks of having to hover over the machine as if you forgot to disable the screensaver and it kicked in, it would use up enough of the processor to bork the burning - so you had to sit there for 45 mins, moving the mouse every 3 minutes.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah blank CDs were expensive but albums on CD were really expensive at the time. I remember used CD stores being a thing too.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

fishmech posted:

The only aspect it had that was really useful to consumers was that it could store a whole 2 hours of music (well, it could go to 3 hours using thinner tape, but that was more likely to snap) versus the 74-80 minute commercial CD release.

Taken out of context, admittedly, but that sentence does not ring quite true to me. There was a reason teenagers kept making mixtapes well into the 2000s. Because they could easily record them in the home, with acceptable quality loss compared to the original vinyls (and later, CDs). If DAT recorders had been in people's stereos in 1994, you'd better believe people would demand portable DAT players to replace their aging walkmans.

Of course, I myself got a portable MD recorder back in ... 1999, perhaps? It was alright, you could skip tracks, it was really compact, and the sound quality was super. Battery time was alright, too, but not as good as a cassette walkman. The included rechargable battery worked for a really long time, too.
At the same time, some friends had portable CD players with a battery time of about zilch, which skipped as soon as someone in the room moved, and couldn't play CD-R discs...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 9, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Oh Christ. Now I've gotten similar flashbacks of having to hover over the machine as if you forgot to disable the screensaver and it kicked in, it would use up enough of the processor to bork the burning - so you had to sit there for 45 mins, moving the mouse every 3 minutes.

Kids these days really don't know how easy they have it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

spog posted:

Not to forget that blank CDs were expensive, whereas you could reuse DAT tapes.

Also, were portable CD recorders ever a thing?

Nope, they weren't. And a lot of CD players had problems playing burned CDs.

Edit: Gotta love how Neon Genesis Evangelion sort of portrays DAT as the future of portable audio. A futuristic improved format called SDAT (for Super DAT), of course.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/SDAT

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 9, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

JFairfax posted:

there were definitely affordable burners in the late 1990s because that's when everoyne got their PlayStation's chipped and buying pirated games
I loved the black CD-Rs back in the day. Even tho I didn't have a PlayStation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JFairfax posted:

All the pirate games I remember people having for the original PlayStation at the time were Chinese silver pressed rather than doing them themselves, or at the very least I imagine discs put out by people for profit rather than the usual at-home burns that would come. CDRs full of pirate PC games and apps ran about £15 at the computer fairs in the U.K. around that time and I was told the blanks were around £7 each, and they were not particularly stable either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JFairfax posted:

You really needed to have a lot of money in the late 90s to go around burning piles of games for the PSX etc. You needed a decent internet connection, a computer with a fairly sizable hard drive, the burner and media of course, and it needed to be fast enough to not gently caress up during a burn. Plus the mod chips themselves could be pretty pricey, depending on where you were.

Fast forward a couple years to the early 2000s though, and practically any computer you could get would be fast enough, a burner barely cost more than a read-only drive, and you went from a few bucks per disc to several discs for a dollar. It was a major change.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

fishmech posted:

You really needed to have a lot of money in the late 90s to go around burning piles of games for the PSX etc. You needed a decent internet connection, a computer with a fairly sizable hard drive, the burner and media of course, and it needed to be fast enough to not gently caress up during a burn. Plus the mod chips themselves could be pretty pricey, depending on where you were.
i.e. you were in college.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

fishmech posted:

Fast forward a couple years to the early 2000s though, and practically any computer you could get would be fast enough, a burner barely cost more than a read-only drive, and you went from a few bucks per disc to several discs for a dollar. It was a major change.

That's about right. I remember I bought Quake II off a guy in school who I think was able to use a CD burner at his mom's work or something. He was supplying the whole scool, but was lagging a bit on releases (had to get retail as no local internet connection could sustain downloading whole CDs), so this would have been about early 1998. Charged about $10 a pop, or for free if you brought your own blanks, so yes the blanks were pricy.

(I'm sure the :filez: talk can be forgiven seeing as how it was 20 years ago...)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 9, 2017

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

fishmech posted:

All you needed was a CD burner and a friend that worked at EB. EB used to let their employees take home any game they wanted that was in stock, as long as it was brought back next shift. Working a holiday season there got us a library of 70+ games.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's an article going around about how vinyl's going to be a billion dollar industry in 2017. To anyone treading into threads anywhere on the web referring to that article... :cheerdoge:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's an article going around about how vinyl's going to be a billion dollar industry in 2017. To anyone treading into threads anywhere on the web referring to that article... :cheerdoge:

Nostalgia is really powerful and audiophiles are extremely stupid.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Modern audio sounds pretty good if you're willing to put in almost any amount of time and money. Gone are the days when tweaking and setting things up or buying fancy equipment to get the best sound. You can still do it but diminishing returns sets in really fast. So once you have a competent sound system there isn't much to do other than sit back and enjoy the music. Music being subjective and humans having poo poo hearing means that how happy or invested in the music you are has a greater effect on how you perceive the sound than most people give credit. If you like vinyl and putting a record on makes you happy it will sound better to you in that moment than if you put the same track on via a streaming service, even if it objectively sounds worse. I'm not big into record players etc. because they are a pain in the rear end, but if it makes a person happy they will enjoy the music more, and that's a scientific fact.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The above, plus, buying a record is the only way I'm likely to ever own music in the future.
For portable listening, I've got a streaming service on all my devices, but as soon as I cancel that subscription (or the service goes the way of the dodo), I'll lose the playlist library and everything.
And, like hell I'm spending :10bux: :10bux: on a goddamned CD in 2017. A new vinyl record though, I can proudly front in my shelf and guests will ooh and aah over it.

(Edit: What about Itunes? Well, Apple might seem less likely to disappear than Tidal or Spotify, but I still dig having my stuff securely stashed away where the recording industry can never retract my ownership...)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TomR posted:

Any audio sounds pretty good if you're willing to put in about 500€ altogether.

e: That's 500€ new out of a shop. Buying used you can go much lower.

TomR posted:

objectively sounds worse

Sound only exists in a brain and is therefore purely subjective. There's no such thing as sound waves it's just vibration or pressure waves in the air or other suitable medium.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 16, 2017

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

guests will ooh and aah over it.

nobody actually does this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

nobody actually does this

A girl once told me she's "pissing honey" when she saw my record collection but I'm fairly certain she didn't actually piss any honey.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Vinyl also funnily now looks like the only technology that isn't going to be obsolete for physical media.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JFairfax posted:

Vinyl also funnily now looks like the only technology that isn't going to be obsolete for physical media.

That's because it's already obsolete, so it can't go obsolete again.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Hey now CDs will be around for a long time as the source used to demo stereos in person at the store.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's about right. I remember I bought Quake II off a guy in school who I think was able to use a CD burner at his mom's work or something. He was supplying the whole scool, but was lagging a bit on releases (had to get retail as no local internet connection could sustain downloading whole CDs), so this would have been about early 1998. Charged about $10 a pop, or for free if you brought your own blanks, so yes the blanks were pricy.

(I'm sure the :filez: talk can be forgiven seeing as how it was 20 years ago...)

Pirated discs of all sorts were peddled openly everywhere in Asia at least until 2004. By 2005 they fell off a cliff, and by 2006 everybody is P2Ping tens of GBs of the good stuff through the Internet to even bother. I don't think I have ever seen a made-to-sale pirated disc for at least a decade.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

A girl once told me she's "pissing honey" when she saw my record collection but I'm fairly certain she didn't actually piss any honey.

Your record collection gave her diabetes?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

(Edit: What about Itunes? Well, Apple might seem less likely to disappear than Tidal or Spotify, but I still dig having my stuff securely stashed away where the recording industry can never retract my ownership...)

Apple stopped DRMing iTunes music files a long time ago, so you only need Apple to exist if you lose all your copies and have to re-download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

grack posted:

Your record collection gave her diabetes?

Dunno. She was from up North and weird. But I repeat myself.