Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Someone ruined a perfectly good pizza just so there'd be an example of a hosed up and inedible piece of poo poo on Wikipedia. Biggest crime ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: We built the plane but forgot how to fly it

Star Citizen: In Development since Far Cry (2004)

This is probably one my favorite's, it took them so long because they had to learn how to do everything.

It's my favorite because it used to be how they poached a heap of Crytek devs/experts and how smooth sailing it would be now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rudager posted:

This is probably one my favorite's, it took them so long because they had to learn how to do everything.

It's my favorite because it used to be how they poached a heap of Crytek devs/experts and how smooth sailing it would be now.

I'm a big fan of "they didn't START with $140mil cash and therefore.... "

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: We built the plane but forgot how to fly it

Star Citizen: In Development since Far Cry (2004)

I wonder where he manages to reconcile the notion that UE4 was in development since 2003 (by one person!), with the notion that picking UE wasn't a good option when they started, especially when UE4 had been unveiled and presented to developers in 2012. I also wonder how he thinks all bajillion UE games (and training sims, and architectural/structure sims, and CG animation suites) that have come out since the late 90s were done without the source code… They weren't all done in UnrealScript. Also, one of the major selling points of UE4 was how easy it would be to migrate to, so none of the stuff they'd need to work on early on would really get in the way of that kind of upgrade.

Never mind the funny bit about how they always seem to want to include every previous version in the engine development time, but refuse to do so for Cryengine — it's the blatant nonsense about what else was actually available that gets really silly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

I wonder where he manages to reconcile the notion that UE4 was in development since 2003 (by one person!), with the notion that picking UE wasn't a good option when they started, especially when UE4 had been unveiled and presented to developers in 2012. I also wonder how he thinks all bajillion UE games (and training sims, and architectural/structure sims, and CG animation suites) that have come out since the late 90s were done without the source code… They weren't all done in UnrealScript. Also, one of the major selling points of UE4 was how easy it would be to migrate to, so none of the stuff they'd need to work on early on would really get in the way of that kind of upgrade.

Never mind the funny bit about how they always seem to want to include every previous version in the engine development time, but refuse to do so for Cryengine — it's the blatant nonsense about what else was actually available that gets really silly.

COBRA began in 1988, therefore Unreal Engine 4 began in 1998

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Is 2017 the year that will once and for all prove that this game can be done as planned?
Man... people are really lowering their expectations, and even spreading a little doubt and FUD upon the project.

Ironically, the harbinger of failure has a better grasp on the realities of the project than most people in the thread.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Chin posted:

If CIG had actually had people capable of setting up performance capture rigs it might have been neat.

And if they had done the performance capture after nailing down models and design specifications.

Also if they were in a good game with a decent script written by someone with talent.

Just popping in (like I ever left, LOL) to remind everyone that according to CIG/Robert Space Industries, (C) Robert Space 2011 2017 canon the only black person in the entire Star Citizen universe is the janitor. That is all.

Mopping. A spaceship.

And he uses a bucket without wheels.

Either make a WW2 game or make a space game. Directly copying activities and social castes from 1940s aircraft carriers may be royalty-free but uh it does not make for the BDSSE.

Like the incongruency of doing WW2, but it's the Roman Empire... in space :psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why would they need an engine suitable for an MMO?

quote:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also, there were multiple MMOs using UE3 by 2011, let alone when Star Citizen began development in 2015.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

and in wtf news

quote:

SQ42 is cancelled. It has become a series of single player missions folded directly into Star Citizen. This acts as the tutorial and early character creation. Any other news about Squadron 42 is fake or uninformed. This change has been considered since late-2015 and the final decision was made mid-2016.

If this is accurate, it makes a certain amount of sense. The fact that the tutorials were horrendously broken, then simply removed, with people wondering when they'd be back and getting no response - if this is the real plan, the tutorials will be baked into the early missions. This decision dovetails perfectly into the Chris Roberts mentality that "game development is Legos" and the evidence that some of the cooler heads at CIG made inroads and convinced him that poo poo just doesn't work the way he thinks it does, and sold him on this plan as a better path forward.

Instead of developing all these separate pieces and having the impossible task of making stuff you do in SQ42 affect SC proper, why not set it up so that you can "plug in" mission packs into the PU? I can absolutely believe that Chris was sold on that idea with the premise that he could stay in the motion capture studio forever, pumping out one DLC mission pack after another, scripting missions and stories that use the PU assets. It also creates a continuous potential income source not related to selling more loving ships.

It's not an inherently bad idea, and I can actually imagine a competent studio pulling something like this off. I can't imagine CIG even getting close. And I'm pretty sure that even with technology issues aside, if Chris is writing these missions, they're all going to be bottom of the barrel in quality.

So best case scenario: literally toss every single thing anyone has ever said about what Star Citizen is or will be. Throw out every description, every plan, every stretch goal, and every dream. At best, Star Citizen will be an MVP space game template designed first and foremost as a platform for scripted missions.

I like where this is going.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
What's good Austin

Taking bets on whether or not crobbers bought a cowboy hat

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Just popping in (like I ever left, LOL) to remind everyone that according to CIG/Robert Space Industries, (C) Robert Space 2011 2017 canon the only black person in the entire Star Citizen universe is the janitor. That is all.

Mopping. A spaceship.

Either make a WW2 game or make a space game. Directly copying activities and social castes from 1940s aircraft carriers may be royalty-free but uh it does not make for the BDSSE.

Like the incongruency of doing WW2, but it's the Roman Empire... in space :psyduck:

Hey now, there is also a black man manually carrying crates of the spaceship in the morrow tour. And for a brief time, there was a black bouncer, until they changed it to a white guy.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Mopping. A spaceship.

He will also be the first person to die in SQ42: The SC Tutorial The Prelude Episode 1.

:)

Atreiden posted:

Hey now, there is also a black man manually carrying crates of the spaceship in the morrow tour. And for a brief time, there was a black bouncer, until they changed it to a white guy.

It's the same guy, he was given the choice of "Mop or Human forklift" and he chose the mop :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandweed posted:

It's even worse, Chris have just taken racial stereotypes from earth and plastered it over space.

Your advisor at the Star Trek School of Xeno Diversity is George Lucas after he got tenure.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Whats the odds on the SQ42 carrier thing entering war right in the middle of tourist season? In Crobblers wisdom it'll be packed with Chinese tourists all with cameras around their necks and odd Hawaian shirts + khaki shorts, they all being milling around shouting "But I no speek Space eengrish, what sign say? kwai kwai!!" In the tutorial they will form part of the first mission where you have to protect them, if any get cornered by enemies then they commit seppaku and all have insane Ninjitsu training.

Of course this will be heralded by the fanboys as "fidelity" and not nasty cultural insults.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 9, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Nice netcode boys.

Hey goony the reason why there is so much delay for movement is because the game revolutionizes the way it works. You see the game automatically accounts for natural human delay and applies it to the game. Remember, SM isnt just a game mode. Somewhere in the universe your are controlling your character, control his SM character. That delay has to be simulated

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Anyone got a pic of crossbow bunny guy? My friend wants to know what star citizen is.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Spermanent Record posted:

Anyone got a pic of crossbow bunny guy? My friend wants to know what star citizen is.

You'll find something new and horrifying every single time you look at the details.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Chin posted:

And if they had done the performance capture after nailing down models and design specifications.

Despite many examples of their incompetence I still can't quite believe clown stimperium games messed up this badly. When did the mocapping start? 2014? And 3 years later not only is there little to no evidence of a game that uses it, they're still building and rebuilding ships and maps and apparently having to do even more mocap to make up for the total lack of planning and forethought. It's a colossal gently caress up and had to be a huge waste of money. Crobber's a loving liability.

Ghostlight posted:

Why would they need an engine suitable for an MMO?

They unironically say things like "best of all possible worlds" and nerds still gave them $140m.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ugh jesus christ america

THIN AND CRISPY. THIN AND CRISPY. Say it with me you loving plebs.

pineapple looks nice tho

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saint Drogo posted:

ugh jesus christ america

pineapple looks nice tho

Deep Dish is the truth. I can enjoy everyone squabble over toppings, but I will not have anyone disparage pizza casserole.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Has anyone compared Croberts to this guy yet?

https://youtu.be/M-kXffpV_B4

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saint Drogo posted:

ugh jesus christ america

pineapple looks nice tho

That's a Sicilian pizza you plebeian.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Deep Dish is the truth. I can enjoy everyone squabble over toppings, but I will not have anyone disparage pizza casserole.

Please stop thinking casseroles are anything other than casseroles. :argh:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Apologies if this has been posted;

"Star Citizen Passes $141 Million as Dev Teases 2017 Plans"
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-passes-141-million-as-dev-teases-2017/1100-6446716/

quote:

Roberts went on say that it's been nice to see the positive reaction to Star Citizen's Alpha 2.6 release, adding that there are plans in place for another update to this update. Update 2.6.1. will contain some features that "slipped out of 2.6," as well as bug fixes and more.

Puffiest of puff pieces. Guessing that end of year sale really did suck rear end.

Edit: For 1.7 million subscribers, they have a very low testing base.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 9, 2017

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hello

• backers will be able to "early access" (alpha test) the sqlude
  • this will be considered the "preview" release version (mvp I guess)
  • this will also count as the first episode

MOMA : Care to offer an opinion on what the Minimum mission length SQ42 should be in order to consider episode 1 delivered as originally promised in 2012? I think it was 50 missions?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MilesK posted:

No, but it's an extremely valid comparison.

Replace science laws with CryEngne 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Despite many examples of their incompetence I still can't quite believe clown stimperium games messed up this badly. When did the mocapping start? 2014? And 3 years later not only is there little to no evidence of a game that uses it, they're still building and rebuilding ships and maps and apparently having to do even more mocap to make up for the total lack of planning and forethought. It's a colossal gently caress up and had to be a huge waste of money. Crobber's a loving liability.

They unironically say things like "best of all possible worlds" and nerds still gave them $140m.

This is extremely common, which is why all the professional IT people in this thread believe it happened, and are so sure that crobbers is incompetent and the project is going to fail. We've all worked with someone like this, and usually they are a perfect example of "they would need to learn a lot more to understand how bad they are"

Usually these kind of mistakes just cause delays as the workers fix the bugs. Except when the manager decides that he knows better than the people doing the actual work and causes more delays... that he then "helps" to fix again.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

You know, if the mouthpiece of a company is a scammer, then it might lead people to examine said company for scamming. Of course, we are talking about the Citizenry.

You might even be right about everything you think, still, when several people start calling you out on something it might be prudent to pause an instant and do a detached reevaluation of your current course of action and/or methods.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Apologies if this has been posted;

"Star Citizen Passes $141 Million as Dev Teases 2017 Plans"
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-passes-141-million-as-dev-teases-2017/1100-6446716/

Puffiest of puff pieces. Guessing that end of year sale really did suck rear end.

Edit: For 1.7 million subscribers, they have a very low testing base.

More historical revisionism?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

We have strayed too far from the light. ArfJason has forsaken us.

And to think we all threw stones at him when he tried to warn us. Much like Christ he suffered for our sins.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

MeLKoR posted:

And to think we all threw stones at him when he tried to warn us. Much like Christ he suffered for our sins.

No doxxing bro!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Prometheus. After taking in careful consideration SuperMechaGodzilla's defense of the work my final verdict is :itwaspoo:.

Maybe Covenant won't be, but I know I'm not going in hyped this time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

No, but it's an extremely valid comparison.

Replace science laws with CryEngne 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFesa01llk

I love the hyperloop.

-Faster than all the other ideas!
-Cheaper too!
-it generates enough energy from solar power to run itself and more!

Invest today!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Space whales are awesome and you are dumb if you don't like them.

Are Dune sandworms copyrighted? Extend that too all the other unoriginal poo poo in this pile.

No problem if they are, Brian and Chris would work something out for sure. I'd be surprised if there aren't official sandworm fleshlights.

e: because he'll keep loving his father's legacy until it's rotting corpse falls apart, get it? waka waka

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 9, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I am sure most game companies don't have a "full" studio at any given point of development by Star Cultists' definition, because people leave and join and really, even if they have 300 people maybe their head honcho actually thinks he needs 350? They'll never be full!

Of course, once you've covered the basic roles I don't care what movie game you're making, a few dozen people are a "full" studio, Clownshoe Incompetent Games have reached that point in their first year after the crowdfunding campaign. It's no excuse.

My favourite thing right now is watching idiots smoothly changing from "gently caress naysayers, game will come out and will be awesome as promised, maybe a tad later" to "I agreed with the naysayers all along but it doesnt matter" without ever acknowledging naysayers Derek was right, because it's so depressing watching/playing 2.6 and Star Marine and the game's progress appears to run backwards :allears:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

nawledgelambo posted:

What's good Austin

Taking bets on whether or not crobbers bought a cowboy hat

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

alphabettitouretti posted:

Despite many examples of their incompetence I still can't quite believe clown stimperium games messed up this badly. When did the mocapping start? 2014? And 3 years later not only is there little to no evidence of a game that uses it, they're still building and rebuilding ships and maps and apparently having to do even more mocap to make up for the total lack of planning and forethought.

An actual production studio (One that ships games) is not going to shoot "mocap" until after the game has been at very least road mapped.

This insistence on having art before framework has been the largest red flag in the sea of red flags this scam has been waving.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tokamak posted:

Is 2017 the year that will once and for all prove that this game can be done as planned?
Man... people are really lowering their expectations, and even spreading a little doubt and FUD upon the project.

Ironically, the harbinger of failure has a better grasp on the realities of the project than most people in the thread.

He appears to be paving the course for letting his ego off easy. In reality he is as massive a fuckup as CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

MilesK posted:

Dude looks rich as gently caress for real. Crobblers this is not.