Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the new Tales coming out one of the good ones or one of the bad ones?

Real hurthling! posted:

the last hour is a masterwork

unrelated: is infamous 2nd son combat supposed to be punishing? i beat first light 2 years ago and never died but i am having to be cheesy and snipe dudes peaking off ledges for like 10 minutes before i can even approach dup command center in this one. maybe i'm playing it wrong.

I did find it harder than the others. Especially early on.

Even later with a ton of powers I needed to get cheesy at times. I had one fight in an alley against several of the tougher enemies so I just kept zipping up a pipe and dive bombing from the roof it took me to, over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Started playing the campaign in Titanfall 2. It's good, but like Poochie, every time I'm not in a titan I'm thinking, where's my titan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Is the new Tales coming out one of the good ones or one of the bad ones?

Supposedly a good one. The goons who played the Japanese version seemed to like it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Minidust posted:

The stingiest game in regard to trophies that I've personally played was The Swapper. I actually beat it without getting a single trophy. Now that I look them up they are simply labeled in Roman numerals I through X with no description. Probably some pretentious indie nonsense.

They're just for accessing the hidden terminals as far as I can remember, I got like one in the first five minutes.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Did world of final fantasy ever get patched to run descent on a PS4 pro? It's on sale this week at Best Buy but not sure it's worth buying.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Would FF15 be a good first FF? Is the battle system easy enough for someone who plays Dragon Quest VIII?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

Would FF15 be a good first FF? Is the battle system easy enough for someone who plays Dragon Quest VIII?

Its a hack and slash and dodge action game now, not a turn based rpg

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

the last hour is a masterwork

unrelated: is infamous 2nd son combat supposed to be punishing? i beat first light 2 years ago and never died but i am having to be cheesy and snipe dudes peaking off ledges for like 10 minutes before i can even approach dup command center in this one. maybe i'm playing it wrong.

I haven't even touched First Light since SS turned me off from the series. It wasn't challenging, moreso poorly designed and wonky. They went with the cheap "multiply the enemies and increase their power" to up dofficulty rather than creating different and unique challenges. It was a game I begrudgingly finished even though I was tired of playing about midway through. I dunno, I put it in the category of the later AC or Batman Arkham games, repetitive gameplay and low skill mini quests to waste time on. It seems they can do 2 or 3 decent games before dropping the ball and I feel like I'm wasting time without quality storyline and/or gameplay as a reward.

Wow, rant over. I didn't even know how much that game made me mad until Insaw your comment. I just scroll by First Light in my library every couple months and say "na".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Housh posted:

People who've played Final Fantasy don't even understand the combat system, you'll be in the same boat for better or for worse.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Housh posted:

The combat isn't turn based and is a little clunky. It has more open world elements than previous FF games, and not really representative of previous FF games as far as gameplay goes. However, I like it so far and would rank it pretty high among the others. As far as combat goes, FF10 and older are more like DQ8. So if you want a good RPG to play, go with FF15. If you want your first FF game to be a quintessential FF game, then I'd start with 7, 6, 9 or 4, and the only one on the PS4 is the FF7 port. The FF10 remake is on the PS4 as well and is a decent game, though I wasn't as big of a fan of it as others were.

So, FF15 is a fine first FF game, just don't expect it to be like the others.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That actually sounds very appealing. I liked Witcher 3 because I could just turn down the difficultly and spam attacks to enjoy the story.

I'll pick up FF15 on sale for sure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can do that in FF15 too, also you can turn on wait mode which pauses combat whenever you're not moving so you can choose targets more easily.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

you can literally make yourself invincible in ff15 before even starting the game. play the platinum demo first to get carbuncle, then play on easy and it'll pop up to revive and buff you if you die.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FF15 never gets impossible, the worst it gets is tedious. When you buy 99 phoenix downs and your group gauge charges while you use them. So even if everyone in the party gets wiped in a single hit, you can just revive them and by the time your done you can unleash a group attack. (Overwhelm works well here) of course you could theoretically run out of items, and it doesn't work on certain end game dungeons. but for the game and hunts it just makes it boring as a punishment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How did XV end up for someone who unironically believes that FFX-2 was the pinnacle of the series in both storytelling and gameplay?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

How did XV end up for someone who unironically believes that FFX-2 was the pinnacle of the series in both storytelling and gameplay?

You'll likely enjoy the galavanting around with the boy band aspects of it and the free form exploratory nature, as well as the active combat. The story is not the high point, but I found the rest of the game to be terribly fun, enough to sink in about 150 hours doing absolutely everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Their both two of my favourite FF's but for different reasons so it depends.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Housh posted:

That actually sounds very appealing. I liked Witcher 3 because I could just turn down the difficultly and spam attacks to enjoy the story.

I'll pick up FF15 on sale for sure.

Fair warning, even as someone who can shut their brain down and just roll with a bad plot, the ff15 story really pushes that to it's limits. It's not even that the story itself is bad, but how it's told is amazingly poo poo. I loved the stupid game but I would never recommend it to someone on the basis of it's plot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

you can literally make yourself invincible in ff15 before even starting the game. play the platinum demo first to get carbuncle, then play on easy and it'll pop up to revive and buff you if you die.

You don't need to play the demo for that to get carbuncle :ssh:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You don't need to play the demo for that to get carbuncle :ssh:

Oh I thought it was a demo exclusive

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All playing the demo does is give Carbuncle the name you gave him in it lol

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

As someone who loved SSX3 and really liked the new SSX (2012?) and other entries in the series, is STEEP any good?

E: thanks beanpole, that was a good review. Bums me out, cause it has good bones but looks like it needed a few more months in the oven to iron out some of its annoyances.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So how good is Dragon Age Inquisition compared to Witcher 3, which I have on my laptop?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Grouchio posted:

So how good is Dragon Age Inquisition compared to Witcher 3, which I have on my laptop?
Imagine a really good game. Then imagine a similar but kind of bad game.

And there we are.

As a serious answer I know virtually everybody will tell you DAI is total garbo but somehow I stuck with it longer than TW3, which I dropped no less than three times by the time I reached the second map. The combat in Witcher 3 always felt totally terrible to me, and I think it's because Souls games are my faves and it can't compare - but it doesn't really try to. But, I can't get past the way it almost feels like the same sort of thing. DAI, however, plays completely differently while having a vaguely similar structure, so I could stick it out longer and kind of wish I'd finished it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Grouchio posted:

I played both fairly close together and came away thinking that Witcher 3 pretty much did everything Dragon Age Inquisition was trying to do a whole lot better. Bioware wanted to make their typical RPG fare while also cashing in on the open world craze but couldn't execute it very well. The result is a bad Bioware RPG and a terrible open world game that's a slog to play. Honestly The Witcher 3 isn't all that fun to play either but it has some decent storytelling particularly in the early game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

It's bad compared to the witcher, dragon age one and most western rpgs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

1redflag posted:

As someone who loved SSX3 and really liked the new SSX (2012?) and other entries in the series, is STEEP any good?

Easy Allies did a good review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDKD7ta-NXo

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

FireMrshlBill posted:

I haven't even touched First Light since SS turned me off from the series. It wasn't challenging, moreso poorly designed and wonky. They went with the cheap "multiply the enemies and increase their power" to up dofficulty rather than creating different and unique challenges. It was a game I begrudgingly finished even though I was tired of playing about midway through. I dunno, I put it in the category of the later AC or Batman Arkham games, repetitive gameplay and low skill mini quests to waste time on. It seems they can do 2 or 3 decent games before dropping the ball and I feel like I'm wasting time without quality storyline and/or gameplay as a reward.

Wow, rant over. I didn't even know how much that game made me mad until Insaw your comment. I just scroll by First Light in my library every couple months and say "na".

Shame, First Light is maybe the best inFamous game and definitely what Second Son should have been.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Housh posted:

The first screen you see says something like "For both long-time fans and first timers"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Final Fantasy XV platinum trophy acquired. I am the 4.1% :smug:

boz
Oct 16, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Final Fantasy XV platinum trophy acquired. I am the 4.1% :smug:

Not to knock you or anything, but I was surprised at how non-demanding the Platinum was compared to most games.

The most time consuming thing for me was leveling Glady's survival.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
They should've included the post game dungeons in FF15 trophies. The no-item dungeon and the Pitioss dungeon were one of the only challenging things in the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In what world are we living where Inquisition is considered a bad game

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

man nurse posted:

goons will hate things purely on principal. Try not to think about it too hard.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

man nurse posted:

It is aggressively mediocre on all fronts and is just in general a tedious and boring game. It may not be bad but it sure as hell isn't good either.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

man nurse posted:

Its only bad if you start with a mageknight build and then try to go to another class. Gross.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

man nurse posted:

One where severe repetition in both the quests and combat is considered dull?

I've been checking out Stories: Path of Destinies and it's a surprisingly interesting game. I wasn't expecting much: anthropomorphic hero goes on a quest to save the day, some hack-and-slash gameplay, nothing special. What I got was an involved combat system reminiscent of the recent Batman titles, a groundhog-day-style storyline, and some actual mature-ish plot (as in, you get shanked in the back or frozen for billions of years only to have an expanding sun incinerate you, and a plot by an insane emperor to annihilate the world in a dark ceremony, among other things). I'm impressed, and plan to play as much of the game as I can to find out all the different plotlines.

One caveat is that it can be problematic how often you visit the same levels again and again (due to the nature of the game), but the enemies consistently get stronger and more varied, and there's different stuff to explore.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 9, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Serious question, does playing on easy in ffxv invalid any trophies? Thinking about doing it so I don't have to spend too much time retry information fights buy I'll deal with it on normal because I like seeing trophies as an indicator of progress.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ineffiable posted:

Serious question, does playing on easy in ffxv invalid any trophies? Thinking about doing it so I don't have to spend too much time retry information fights buy I'll deal with it on normal because I like seeing trophies as an indicator of progress.

There's a trophy for beating the final boss on normal. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Arist posted:

There's a trophy for beating the final boss on normal. That's it.

Can you literally just change it back to normal for that fight? Like if so, that means there's nothing stopping you from doing a ton of content in easy mode and post game content and get over leveled and kill the final boss in normal mode?