Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/investing/sears-sells-craftsman-stanley-black-decker/

I bet this is only the beginning of selling Sears brands off before the stank of the actual collapse of Sears taints those brands. I have been predicting the demise of Sears for years and it hasn't happened yet but I doubt Sears survives 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OSU_Matthew posted:

Quit buying lovely Chinese lights, seriously. My dad always buys a bunch and I get several new ones every year for Christmas. The lights in those things are poo poo, you're causing yourself much more frustration and pain than if you just bought something halfway decent.

This year I bought the Fenix HL60r, and while it is awesome for the rechargeable 18650 lithium battery, the main light output is almost too much

I dunno, the headlamp I bought some years ago has been absolutely awesome, and I think it's some kind of random no-name Chinese model, the only marking is "Goliath" on the lamp itself, but it doesn't match anything I can find on Google.
It's got a 1W LED (supposedly), long battery life on 3xAAA and the lens is really great, it gives a perfect beam with no hotspots at all. I have no idea what it was actually supposed to cost, it was marked wrong at the store and only cost me ~$5.

I also have a Fenix E05 on my keychain, and it's great. Out of the three output modes, it starts out at around 8 lumens, which is usually more than enough, and should last for almost 15 hours on 1xAAA. The high output mode is 80-something lumens, which is more than any incandescent flashlight I've ever owned.

There's definitely an arms race for the highest possible light output, but in the middle segments and especially with the 2/3-mode models, you can usually find a suitable amount that won't completely blind you from reflections. I've found that I'm much more interested in the lowest output level a flashlight will do, because even <1 lumen can be plenty to find your way around in the dark, without completely killing your night vision.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 7, 2017

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

KozmoNaut posted:

I dunno, the headlamp I bought some years ago has been absolutely awesome, and I think it's some kind of random no-name Chinese model, the only marking is "Goliath" on the lamp itself, but it doesn't match anything I can find on Google.
It's got a 1W LED (supposedly), long battery life on 3xAAA and the lens is really great, it gives a perfect beam with no hotspots at all. I have no idea what it was actually supposed to cost, it was marked wrong at the store and only cost me ~$5.

I also have a Fenix E05 on my keychain, and it's great. Out of the three output modes, it starts out at around 8 lumens, which is usually more than enough, and should last for almost 15 hours on 1xAAA. The high output mode is 80-something lumens, which is more than any incandescent flashlight I've ever owned.

There's definitely an arms race for the highest possible light output, but in the middle segments and especially with the 2/3-mode models, you can usually find a suitable amount that won't completely blind you from reflections. I've found that I'm much more interested in the lowest output level a flashlight will do, because even <1 lumen can be plenty to find your way around in the dark, without completely killing your night vision.

Can confirm, firefly mode on flashlights is the tits for getting around in pitch dark. You can light up hazards, but it won't affect your night vision much. On the other hand, using a multi-thousand lumen flashlight can be pretty :clint: I have a 5000 lumen single emitter light, and using it in rural areas with no light pollution is amazing. I'm pretty sure it's better than the headlights on my car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My 5000 lumen headlamp is chinesium so 5000 is up for debate, but it does a great job of getting retards with their highbeams on and tailgaters to bugger off while commuting.

It occasionally makes an alright headlamp, too!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KozmoNaut posted:

I dunno, the headlamp I bought some years ago has been absolutely awesome, and I think it's some kind of random no-name Chinese model

Seconding this - the Convoy S2 I have comes direct from China and I have nothing bad to say about it, runs for hours on a single charge on its lowest setting while still being bright enough to be useful and is bright enough at its highest to use for self defense.

Its not so much a case of write off all Chinese flashlights as write off the cheap, lovely ones. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

e: that headlamp has a red and green LED in addition to a high output white.
VVV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 7, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OSU_Matthew posted:

:agreed:
The new black diamond storm is hands down my favorite headlamp. The green mode is especially fantastic for preserving night vision while doing stuff like hiking. Plus it has handy intuitive features like a quick flash when cycling through brightness settings to indicate you're on the highest one.

What?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Green light.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Did some warranty exchanges today. Harbor freight didn't ask for a receipt or do anything other than take mu busted tools. Sent my wife into Sears to exchange my sockets and have a ratchet rebuilt. They gave her a 12 point for my one six point which I didn't notice till we were almost home. And the ratchet now has an overzealous amount of play when before it Just popped loose when tightening sometimes. :suicide:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

kastein posted:

My 5000 lumen headlamp is chinesium so 5000 is up for debate, but it does a great job of getting retards with their highbeams on and tailgaters to bugger off while commuting.

It occasionally makes an alright headlamp, too!

The Chinese lights in general probably won't live up to their specs. An honest-to-god 5k lamp is not cheap, mine was $180. (Acebeam K60)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Frank Dillinger posted:

The Chinese lights in general probably won't live up to their specs. An honest-to-god 5k lamp is not cheap, mine was $180. (Acebeam K60)

Or, more likely, they will live up to their specs for all of about 5 mins before either breaking or incinerating your head. :kingsley:

As far as good lights go, not headlights really, but other portable stuff, I've really been loving the stuff Milwaukee has been putting out lately. Super bright and lasts forever on fully charged battery.
My only regret is buying the tower light as soon as I did, because like a month later they came out with the new one, which has 3 adjustable heads and a built in battery charger. Oh well, time to wait for it to show up for half price on ebay!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2135-20

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I just bought their little M18T LED torch on clearance for $40 today as a bare skin. Little bastard is bright and god knows how long it will last on a 4.0AH battery if the big lantern will do 24hrs on low on a 4.0...

Also bought a $100 pair of Knipex retaining ring pliers today cos im so sick of loving around with circlip pliars on retaining rings, getting them half off and having them pop back on. 20 times in a row, or getting them 90% off only to have them slip and fire the retaining ring off into an alternate dimension never to be seen again.

Its like god mode for retaining rings. I had the thing in my hand before I even uttered the first profanity! I can see a VERY expensive Knipex habit forming...

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I might be the only guy here with ridgid tools but I got their new 3 panel work light for Christmas. The light quality is great and it's very bright (it's variable and goes up to 2500 lumens). I'm currently changing my steering rack and it fits pretty nicely under the car.

Ferremit posted:

Its like god mode for retaining rings. I had the thing in my hand before I even uttered the first profanity! I can see a VERY expensive Knipex habit forming...

Yeah, I'm buying one of the 3 packs of the pliers wrenches. Looking forward to getting them.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Streamlight or bust

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I really like my Nitecore and Fenix flashlights, great build quality and cheaper than the bigger competitors. I daily a Fenix E12 (130 lumens from one AA battery) and use a Nitecore P12 for work.

It's hard to find a light with a good spread in brightness modes and intuitive UI/button layout.

My Milwaukee M18 work light has seen a lot of use too, with the 5AH battery it just lasts forever.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 8, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ExplodingSims posted:

Or, more likely, they will live up to their specs for all of about 5 mins before either breaking or incinerating your head. :kingsley:

As far as good lights go, not headlights really, but other portable stuff, I've really been loving the stuff Milwaukee has been putting out lately. Super bright and lasts forever on fully charged battery.
My only regret is buying the tower light as soon as I did, because like a month later they came out with the new one, which has 3 adjustable heads and a built in battery charger. Oh well, time to wait for it to show up for half price on ebay!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2135-20

Holy crap, this is an awesome design! I really wish Makita had incorporated a battery charger into their LED floodlight, or made the tripod/light an all-in-one collapsible unit. This may be the best looking/most ingenious work light I've ever seen.

clam ache posted:

Did some warranty exchanges today. Harbor freight didn't ask for a receipt or do anything other than take mu busted tools. Sent my wife into Sears to exchange my sockets and have a ratchet rebuilt. They gave her a 12 point for my one six point which I didn't notice till we were almost home. And the ratchet now has an overzealous amount of play when before it Just popped loose when tightening sometimes. :suicide:

Last time I warrantied stuff, I first went to Home Depot for to swap out some gloves that were missing one out of the pack. I was just told to go grab a new one off the rack, no receipt necessary, no questions asked.

I then went to Sears to swap out a brand new, unused air compressor I had just bought, because there were busted pieces rattling around inside the tank. It took drat near an hour to do what should have been the easiest thing in the world, because their in store register system apparently isn't compatible with their online rewards points stuff, then the phones in the store didn't work or the cashier didn't know/couldn't dial the service number to ask for help, and her manager couldn't be found. After half an hour of pointless dicking around and waiting, she asked if I just wanted to buy a new one for like fifteen bucks more because she couldn't get it to ring up right in the system, and I was *this* close to saying yes just to get the hell out of there. Eventually it got sorted out and because I was really nice and patient throughout the whole thing the manager gave me a little bit of an extra discount, but still, I don't know if I could ever be persuaded to shop at Sears again, quality of the tools notwithstanding.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Well if it's any consolation sears will probably be gone in a few years.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well if it's any consolation sears will probably be gone in a few years.

Years is optimistic, Sears likely will not survive 2017

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sears holding Co is closing a bunch of Sears and Kmart stores in the Midwest, so they might have a year or two left.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

clam ache posted:

Honest to god question, how do they handle single socket failures that are normally sold in sets?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Holy poo poo. This CEO of Sears (Lampert) also owns the outfit which loans billions of money to Sears. No matter how this goes, he isn't going to lose.

lmao

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Honest to god question, how do they handle single socket failures that are normally sold in sets?

I once warrantied something that was normally only available in sets - a screw driver I think. The store stated they couldn't do an exchange, because they were not allowed to open up a set to hand out one piece of it. Instead the store had to special order the specific item I was attempting to warranty. I think it took a week or two to come in.

I haven't had a socket failure, but I suspect the same would happen. Although last I looked, Sears had a better selection of Craftsman sockets sold individually than in sets.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Colostomy Bag posted:

At my local HF they bust open the set, hand me the tool I broke, then sell the open package cheap on the folding table of clearance stuff out front.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Jesus Christmas loving almighty don't even bother

I bought my wristed gearwrench set there. I broke the 19mm one and because it wasn't a size they had on the shelf they had to spend literally 45 minutes fumble loving around on the computer trying to get it to let them do a return on it, including entering my address and info so many times the csr had it memorized by the time I left. My shopyourway member card was scanned so many times. I would have been better off throwing it out, spending that 45 minutes working, and using the money to buy a new one.

I hope Stanley and the stores that will sell craftsman after sears demise will handle warranties better. gently caress.

E: stores that warranty tools that come in sets should really just keep the partial sets at the returns counter so they can reduce cost of providing warranty service. Last time I warrantied a socket at HD the guy was about to break open a whole set when I noted the next one on the rack was missing one already due to theft so they could save cash by just using that to do my warranty and maybe even keep what was left of the set after to keep doing that. He seemed to like the idea but who knows if it happened.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Holy poo poo. This CEO of Sears (Lampert) also owns the outfit which loans billions of money to Sears. No matter how this goes, he isn't going to lose.

lmao

Also he keeps doing share buybacks which turn company cash into esl holdings cash, and selling real estate to the sears real estate holding company he controls at bottom dollar. He is quite literally siphoning money out of the company but somehow his hedge fund has still lost a ton of money. Good job eddie!

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 9, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ha, sorry for the confusion.

My main question was what HF does with single replacement items out of socket sets. Say I walk in with a cracked 12mm. That was answered, and well, I've seen it on the shelf. They marked a set down missing a 19mm on the shelf as an open item.

As for Sears, well, they have singles they can swap out. But they are circling the drain faster than a set of car keys during a druken stupor,. I've snapped a few of their ratchets, along with 10mm and other various other common sizes. But to be honest, they held up. The USA versions that is. It saddens me, grew up on the brand. But been down the road where they swap or repair crap.

As for Lampert...the guy is smarter than he looks. In short, it is sad, and well we know the ultimate conclusion.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao

I'm legit amazed he hasn't been offered a cabinet position.

I had to go to a Sears earlier this year since I couldn't find a 23mm wrench that I needed anywhere else. It's so rough and feels like junk but it did the job I needed it to do. I hadn't been in one in years before that. They're borderline depressing to be in now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's the recommended cordless impact for lug nuts and such? I bought some shitter HF one some years back that kind of works but by the 4th wheel it's dying. Currently, I don't have any cordless tool loyalty since I don't own any chargers or batteries except a Ryobi trimmer that my wife bought. :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Larrymer posted:

What's the recommended cordless impact for lug nuts and such? I bought some shitter HF one some years back that kind of works but by the 4th wheel it's dying. Currently, I don't have any cordless tool loyalty since I don't own any chargers or batteries except a Ryobi trimmer that my wife bought. :v:

If you don't need more that 150ft/lb I'm guessing most here will suggest the Milwaukee 18/20v systems and maybe the Makita after that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

Any big Ryobi batteries? If you don't want to invest in another ecosystem, the Ryobi one is acceptable. If you are, Makita or Milwaukee is the way to go. I'm partial to Makita, but the Milwaukee selection is pretty good, and the 9Ah batteries are crazy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I believe it's the 18V One+ battery, Lithium ion. But we've only got one charger and one battery. Not against getting another but if the Ryobi is decent then it would save some money I suppose.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 9, 2017

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Larrymer posted:

I have the Makita 18v: https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT02...a+impact+wrench

It's totally awesome but kind of expensive. If you're looking to get into a system it's a great one, but find a deal on tools + batteries/charger starter kit to get other stuff like drill, impact driver, circ saw etc rather than buy separately

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Most of the combo kits seem to have impact drivers (vs. impact wrench? is that the name of what I'm looking for?) that don't seem to have much torque, but I'm sure the others exist somewhere.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Larrymer posted:

Most of the combo kits seem to have impact drivers (vs. impact wrench? is that the name of what I'm looking for?) that don't seem to have much torque, but I'm sure the others exist somewhere.

Yeah the kits don't come with the impact wrench. That's what you want for automotive work but the impact driver is super handy and well worth having for household stuff too. Sorry if that was unclear.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Yeah the kits don't come with the impact wrench. That's what you want for automotive work but the impact driver is super handy and well worth having for household stuff too. Sorry if that was unclear.

Also works for smaller automotive fasteners, most anything that isn't brakes or suspension. They are usually compact and fit in tight locations.

And as you said, it is the best thing ever for wood screws.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

The Milwaukee M18 compact puts out 220 ft/lb which is more than enough for wheels. This is coming out next month, almost the same size as the compact impact but twice the torque:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2860-22

Model: Milwaukee 2860-22 (kit), Milwaukee 2860-20 (bare tool)
450 ft-lbs Fastening Torque
600ft-lbs Nut-Busting Torque
RPM: 2400
IPM: 3000
Length: 6.7-inches
Weight (w/ XC5.0 battery): 5.3lbs

Ughhhh this would fit perfectly between the compact impact and the 1000FT/LBS HIGH TORQUE IMPACT WRENCH.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryrobots posted:

Also works for smaller automotive fasteners, most anything that isn't brakes or suspension. They are usually compact and fit in tight locations.

They're nice to supplement hand tools too - start a fastener with a ratchet or breaker bar, then use your impact driver to spin it the rest of the way off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you already have the battery and charger the 1/2" impact from Ryobi is 195ftlb. Fill out your warranty paperwork if you're in the states and you should be fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Take torque ratings with a grain of salt. Electrics are even harder to compare apples to apples than air tools, and air tools were notorious.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Most of the good electric impacts (dewalt, Milwaukee, ingersol rand and makita) are 90% as good as air, 95% in the case of the makita. They're not really over rated at all and they'll all rip bolts torqued to 700 ftlbs out. The Makita is super close in terms of impacts/sec too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

Take torque ratings with a grain of salt. Electrics are even harder to compare apples to apples than air tools, and air tools were notorious.

Granted. But as I have neither tool to compare I can only parrot the manufacturers claims. If Makita claim 220 and ryobi claim 195 but the poster already has a battery and charger for ryobi it's their judgement whether the difference is worth the price.

E: to clarify I know there are better brands than ryobi. If you're going to be buying more tools in the future it's better to switch brands now than after buying a few.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I have the Makita 18v: https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT02...a+impact+wrench

It's totally awesome but kind of expensive. If you're looking to get into a system it's a great one, but find a deal on tools + batteries/charger starter kit to get other stuff like drill, impact driver, circ saw etc rather than buy separately

Seconding this Makita Impact--it's great in every way. It's incredibly small so you can use it drat near anywhere, especially in tight wheel wells, it's brushless so the battery lasts forever, and it's even got adjustable torque through adjustable speed, which means you can rattle on stuff without worrying about over-torquing it or dicking around with torque sticks.

I personally wouldn't gently caress with Ryobi over Makita/Milwaukee/Dewalt battery tools. It's not that much cheaper, and you're getting far better tools and variety, especially with Makita or Milwaukee. Now is a great time to buy a 5-6 piece starter pack for a couple hundred, and build up your cordless arsenal from there.