Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm less concerned about that aspect because these games are going to be trash compared to the ones made once input and hmds are better and devs figure out how to make games that aren't wave shooters

Edit: "oh boy, I'm going to break out a classic: job simulator"

-nobody, five years from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You'll be buying games up until you're given the option to switch, so it wouldn't be just the games you buy today you'd be losing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SwissCM posted:

While I understand the convenience aspect of it, the very real drawback of using the Oculus store is that if at some point you decide to switch headsets every game you have purchased will only be accessible through ReVive, an unofficial wrapper. It works well and it's unlikely to break but it's still a possibility and those hundreds of dollars you spent, as well as the games, could end up evaporating.

Of course you could just keep buying into their ecosystem, but considering how close the competition already is, it might be foolish to bet on Oculus being on top in 5 years. When you make that choice, your games being held hostage is going to become a larger issue.

That assumes any of these games will ever be played again. I've got nearly 300 games on my Steam account. I'm never going to play most of them ever again.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Lots of "Windows 10 VR" HMDs shown off at CES. No real solutions for hand tracking but the HMDs all use a pair of cameras on the front for tracking and have high res displays. One of them says 120hz refresh too. http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-what-the-first-wave-of-windows-10-vr-headsets-look-like
Microsoft just needs to put out a VR version of the Xbox controller, I'm thinking something similar to Oculus Touch, and you have the future of VR. Acer and Dell. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Touch pretty much is the VR xbox controller. It was designed by the same people.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yes, I know. I mean how you can go buy an Xbox controller and expect it to work with pretty much any game on your PC that has controller support. A universal VR controller if you will. I hope this Windows 10 VR stuff is good because let's face it, Windows is pretty much the only platform where high end GPUs really shine and other than consoles that's where all the games are anyway.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

DreamShipWrecked posted:

People who have done a lot of fiddling with your Vives, what is the "real" maximum distance that you can have between your chaperones until things start getting wonky? My office is pretty large and the recommended 15' maximum isn't very much at all. Could I go up to 25-30 feet without much issue?

My lighthouses are 27' apart on the diagonal, but I haven't had much trouble (it seems to take the controllers a few seconds to "lock in" when I turn them on, but after that they're pretty steady). I do use the sync cable, though, and it gives me a warning that they're too far apart, but it's just a click through.

Also, it's worth noting that you can't define a "play area" larger than 4m*4m, but you can define chaperone bounds of any size. So the game still paints a 4m*4m square, but you can walk outside it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SwissCM posted:

While I understand the convenience aspect of it, the very real drawback of using the Oculus store is that if at some point you decide to switch headsets every game you have purchased will only be accessible through ReVive, an unofficial wrapper. It works well and it's unlikely to break but it's still a possibility and those hundreds of dollars you spent, as well as the games, could end up evaporating.

Of course you could just keep buying into their ecosystem, but considering how close the competition already is, it might be foolish to bet on Oculus being on top in 5 years. When you make that choice, your games being held hostage is going to become a larger issue.

Then I would just plug in my old Oculus Rift to play those games. I would put it next to my NES and SNES.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I bought and have just sent a refund request for Arizona Sunshine. That game is a dumpster fire. First off, the game does a terrible job of teaching basic mechanics, such as if there's a way to regain health. It also has automatic reloads only unless you're picking up magazines from the environment, you can't take ammo from your belt and bring it to your handgun. The game states that it features "Real-life weapon handling", but most of the actions are abstracted. Sound frequently cuts out permanently, requiring you to restart the game for gun sounds to come back. The voice actor for the main character is pretty good, but the writing is bad. There are invisible walls and the teleport system works poorly.

Those are the big issues that I think everyone ought to be able to agree on. There are also minor gripes that I have, such as the fact that you start off with the best handgun (The M1911) and your next find is a lovely little Makarov looking thing, or the fact that most cars you find will contain ammunition and that police cars contain grenades. Raw Data, a sci-fi game, paints a much more convincing world than a game that is supposedly set in America. If you have the money to buy an expensive VR game, get Superhot VR, Raw Data, Final Approach (such an overlooked gem) or The Unspoken (I'm really warming up to this one).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that Amazon is now listing some lens protectors for both Vive and Rift, from "Hyperkin":

Vive lens protectors: https://smile.amazon.com/Hyperkin-HTC-Vive-VR-Lens-Protectors/dp/B01LEZNUE2

Oculus lens protectors: https://smile.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Oculus-Rift-VR-Lens-Protectors/dp/B01N7N6YIR

Each comes with two pairs in case you gently caress up applying them, that's a nice touch.

The Vive protectors have decent reviews, the Oculus ones don't have any reviews yet and those are the ones I'm interested in. I'm worried they're not curved like the Oculus lenses are, so I emailed them asking them to confirm.

Edit: They sell other interesting VR things, like a 30-pack of disposable VR face masks for your parties with sweaty friends: http://hyperkinlab.com/products/vr/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I bought and have just sent a refund request for Arizona Sunshine. That game is a dumpster fire. First off, the game does a terrible job of teaching basic mechanics, such as if there's a way to regain health. It also has automatic reloads only unless you're picking up magazines from the environment, you can't take ammo from your belt and bring it to your handgun. The game states that it features "Real-life weapon handling", but most of the actions are abstracted. Sound frequently cuts out permanently, requiring you to restart the game for gun sounds to come back. The voice actor for the main character is pretty good, but the writing is bad. There are invisible walls and the teleport system works poorly.

Those are the big issues that I think everyone ought to be able to agree on. There are also minor gripes that I have, such as the fact that you start off with the best handgun (The M1911) and your next find is a lovely little Makarov looking thing, or the fact that most cars you find will contain ammunition and that police cars contain grenades. Raw Data, a sci-fi game, paints a much more convincing world than a game that is supposedly set in America. If you have the money to buy an expensive VR game, get Superhot VR, Raw Data, Final Approach (such an overlooked gem) or The Unspoken (I'm really warming up to this one).

The best gun is late in the game which has a flashlight on the end of it and glow sights. The .44 Magnum is pretty good too since two body shots will kill a zombie if you don't feel like aiming. I liked the game well enough to play to the end and I didn't have the sound issues you did.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah calling Arizona Sunshine a dumpster fire is a bit much. Fair enough if you don't like it but it's a well made game. Picking out issues of realism because of where you find ammo is a little silly.

I get that automatic reloads aren't everyone's cup of tea but making AS like H3VR wouldn't work very well because later on in the game there are a poo poo load more zombies in places and it's just quicker and more arcadey to reload how they did it. Also like mentioned above, there are more than two guns in the game and some of them are pretty cool. That sound bug sucks, I didn't get anything like that but I can imagine something like that would sour your experience of it.

The devs are also in the process of adding a new locomotion option similar to Onwards which is cool. Once they've implemented it I'm definitely going to run through the campaign again. The horde mode is a ton of fun too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nalin posted:

Then I would just plug in my old Oculus Rift to play those games. I would put it next to my NES and SNES.

It would make more sense to use ReVive to take advantage of the features of new hardware you bought and sell your old headset, that you're comparing the Rift to a games console is the thing people were worried about.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Aphex- posted:

Yeah calling Arizona Sunshine a dumpster fire is a bit much. Fair enough if you don't like it but it's a well made game. Picking out issues of realism because of where you find ammo is a little silly.

I get that automatic reloads aren't everyone's cup of tea but making AS like H3VR wouldn't work very well because later on in the game there are a poo poo load more zombies in places and it's just quicker and more arcadey to reload how they did it. Also like mentioned above, there are more than two guns in the game and some of them are pretty cool. That sound bug sucks, I didn't get anything like that but I can imagine something like that would sour your experience of it.

Look at how Raw Data handles handgun reloading. That alone is much more immersive than magic gun reloads, and even Raw Data gets it wrong because they introduce those magic gun reloads. The sound bug was just the icing on the cake to make me refund it, it's just a fairly bland zombie shooter.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
If I can't reload properly like in H3VR or Onward, I'm just not interested.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is there a list anywhere for recommended GearVR and Cardboard apps? Got both from different people as birthday presents, and a general forums search didnt turn up one for either.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Aphex- posted:

I was kind of wary about picking the game up because the trailers made the player character seem insufferable, but he's actually more likable than I expected him to be. Grabbing ammo from cupboards and cars feels really good and the reload mechanics are as complicated as they need to be imo, any more and dealing with zombies would be a chore.

I'm actually kind of struggling on normal difficulty to deal with the amount of zombies that come at you in a horde, with standing controls it's extremely clunky to teleport around with so many enemies about and even if you've been harvesting ammo it generally never feels like quite enough when you need to spray everyone down, but there's also little time for finesse. I'll probably reduce the difficulty to easy as restarting time and again kills the pacing.

If I had a major complaint it'd be with the characters propensity for "tutorial talk". You know, constantly pointing out what the player needs to do to advance. It's super grating and feels very condescending, wish there was an option that just let you hear quips. I also would like a way to drop guns so I can go bare handed, but that's just for spergy MY IMMERSION reasons.

It's not a triple A title by any means, but it has a lot of heart and it's nice to have a narrative and places to explore in between your shooting sections. I think I'll enjoy it a lot more when they introduce the new locomotion system, teleporting just isn't ideal for fast swarming enemies.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Songbearer posted:

I'm actually kind of struggling on normal difficulty to deal with the amount of zombies that come at you in a horde, with standing controls it's extremely clunky to teleport around with so many enemies about and even if you've been harvesting ammo it generally never feels like quite enough when you need to spray everyone down, but there's also little time for finesse. I'll probably reduce the difficulty to easy as restarting time and again kills the pacing.

If I had a major complaint it'd be with the characters propensity for "tutorial talk". You know, constantly pointing out what the player needs to do to advance. It's super grating and feels very condescending, wish there was an option that just let you hear quips. I also would like a way to drop guns so I can go bare handed, but that's just for spergy MY IMMERSION reasons.

Agree with these complaints for sure. Teleporting is a bit poo poo because when you've got a horde around you it only lets to teleport a certain angle away from them or something so sometimes it just straight up doesn't let you move, not fun really. New locomotion should be a lot of fun. I think the ammo situation is ok though honestly, at times I would like to unload and not care, but there were other times where I panic ran out of ammo for one gun then quickly grabbed a secondary from my hip - like one of the shotguns - and just went to town. It's pretty satisfying but I agree, having a mode with plentiful ammo would be great.

I got tired of the tutorial talk as well. Saying that if you've seen some youtube folk trying to play this game or others you can see why they want to be so drat condescending, sometimes people just don't listen. Not being able to go bare handed is annoying too, it feels weird with two guns in your hands while you're also throwing a grenade.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mostly don't like the reloading in AS because I have punched myself in the stomach in a frenzied panic more than once. Although that is more a fault of my brain than the game.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBU0OktGeiM

I think I want that new headstrap.

e: Holy poo poo, it goes onto the head so loving smoothly. I *really* want that headstrap.

e2: I'm really interested in that VR rifle.

Falken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 9, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Those are some sick loving guns

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The idea of attaching one of those vive tracker things to a baseball bat makes me cringe like hell however.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The headstrap is definitely the #1 thing I'd get if I only had a Vive. It really is hard to overstate how much better it makes the whole experience when slipping the headset on and off is even a little smoother.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seconding that. The headphones are nice to have as well, but getting it on faster and more comfortably would be great. Shooting from the hip, but I bet it wouldn't be too much trouble to mod the hinges on the side to support flipping up as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm interested in that headstrap if only so I can put together a vive that isn't chewed up by a dog and possibly sell it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'm interested in that headstrap if only so I can put together a vive that isn't chewed up by a dog and possibly sell it.

Put your dog into VR.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SwissCM posted:

Put your dog into VR.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Falken posted:

The idea of attaching one of those vive tracker things to a baseball bat makes me cringe like hell however.

You know, at first I assumed that the baseball bat would be used for, well, baseball, but now I'm thinking how awesome it would be for a zombie game where you have to fend them off with a baseball bat.

Of course, it would also be even more of a hazard to home, furniture, and friends than playing baseball with it would.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Nth-ing the I want that strap sentiment. I love my Vive but holy poo poo does it hurt my head and scalp after about an hour of play. This new one looks comfortable enough that I might be able to play for more than a few hours and forget I am even wearing it.

Very hype.

Also apparently that TPCAST thing actually works as advertised which means that I am going to have to spend another $250 on this far too expensive goddamn hobby.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I posted a video earlier in the thread where a friend of mine broke my controller in two playing Gorn. I attempted to repair the controller by reconnecting the cables into the ZIF connectors, unfortunately I accidentally snapped the little clasp on one of the ZIF connectors.

Does anyone know how to fix one of those? I searched and could find nothing about it, I wedged it in place and taped it down but I now lose tracking every few minutes.

Side note, HTC is really bending their customers over a barrel on replacement parts. I assumed the controller would be like $80-$100 but it's $130 and the only shipping option is $30.

$160 for one controller is ridiculous.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ridiculous is par for the course this gen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For that price you could get two touch controllers without a camera. Makes you wonder if HTC has to gouge people on replacements and accessories in order to make money on VR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tip posted:

I posted a video earlier in the thread where a friend of mine broke my controller in two playing Gorn. I attempted to repair the controller by reconnecting the cables into the ZIF connectors, unfortunately I accidentally snapped the little clasp on one of the ZIF connectors.

Does anyone know how to fix one of those? I searched and could find nothing about it, I wedged it in place and taped it down but I now lose tracking every few minutes.

Side note, HTC is really bending their customers over a barrel on replacement parts. I assumed the controller would be like $80-$100 but it's $130 and the only shipping option is $30.

$160 for one controller is ridiculous.
Flatflex cables are the devil, I'm sorry. If the connector breaks your only recourse is pretty much gluing it together and hoping the cable doesn't move in the process, unless you are a SMD rework savant.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The tracker looks great in terms of potential but I don't understand how it is supposed to work. It can tell its own location/orientation via the lighthouse system but it can't display any of that to the Vive unless there is a model already loaded for it and the real world object's offset from the Vive tracker is known in terms of position/rotation. For a custom-built accessory like that gun or firehose this could be provided but the dude in the video is talking about attaching trackers to his water bottle and keyboard. These sound great but where will you get the 3d models from? How will you calibrate where the object appears in relation to the tracker? Or will it just provide a model or beacon in-game for where the tracker is and you need to grope around it for the actual object?

Also how does the tracking data get from the object to SteamVR? The video mentioned that the lighthouse system can track up to 16 objects (I thought the lighthouse was just the emitter and objects tracked themselves, and this would lend to theoretically infinite tracked objects?) but that the Vive headset can only pair with two objects, and controllers count. So if you want to use even a single Vive Tracker you can only play games one handed? Plus if the tracking data only gets to SteamVR via pairing with the headset then the 16 limit doesn't matter, the limit is actually 2? Unless they'll have a way for trackers to transmit their data to your computer independent of the headset.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AgentF posted:

The tracker looks great in terms of potential but I don't understand how it is supposed to work. It can tell its own location/orientation via the lighthouse system but it can't display any of that to the Vive unless there is a model already loaded for it and the real world object's offset from the Vive tracker is known in terms of position/rotation. For a custom-built accessory like that gun or firehose this could be provided but the dude in the video is talking about attaching trackers to his water bottle and keyboard. These sound great but where will you get the 3d models from? How will you calibrate where the object appears in relation to the tracker? Or will it just provide a model or beacon in-game for where the tracker is and you need to grope around it for the actual object?

Also how does the tracking data get from the object to SteamVR? The video mentioned that the lighthouse system can track up to 16 objects (I thought the lighthouse was just the emitter and objects tracked themselves, and this would lend to theoretically infinite tracked objects?) but that the Vive headset can only pair with two objects, and controllers count. So if you want to use even a single Vive Tracker you can only play games one handed? Plus if the tracking data only gets to SteamVR via pairing with the headset then the 16 limit doesn't matter, the limit is actually 2? Unless they'll have a way for trackers to transmit their data to your computer independent of the headset.

It's going to be neat but due to the fact that it's already an incredibly niche market, this is stuff that will only theoretically be useful in many years after all this stuff has super taken off, and by then the tracker technology will surely be different.

It's not going to be practical in any way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AgentF posted:

Probably the SteamVR software can handle 16 objects. If the Vive headset is hardcoded to only accept two paired devices, that sucks. It's probably just software and a firmware update could allow it to pair to a tracker as well. As far as how the tracker would work, you just attach the tracker to whatever object in the manner the game tells you. Attach it to the bottom of a bat, or attach it to the side of a gun controller. Most likely the game will tell you what you need or they will sell some accessory that will mate up to the Vive tracker. Assuming you mounted it correctly, the software only needs to know where the tracker is and it can extrapolate where everything else is from that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AgentF posted:

OpenVR accounts for a lot of that already, apps can request render models for tracked objects, and the drivers for those things will just have to model their stuff in object space in relation to the tracker so it shows up in the right place. When he's talking about water bottles and keyboards though, he isn't speaking about something that is user accessible, someone would have to write a driver for a water bottle and design some kinda cup holder mount to put your bottle in. There might end up being a handful of accessories that meaningfully make use of the tracker, but realistically its more a weirdo hacker device for people to gently caress around and experiment with. The easily accessible pogo pins and standard screw mount instead of some kind of more practical but less hacker friendly mounting/connector interface is a good indicator of that I think.

And yeah, the 16 tracked devices limitation is a SteamVR software limit and has nothing to do with the lighthouses, probably something they can raise without too much trouble. The 2 controllers per headset thing might be harder, but also Vive controllers communicate over bluetooth anyway so maybe you could connect them through another bluetooth dongle, or maybe usb.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

AgentF posted:

They have a USB dongle you can use. Currently each dongle supports one device (in addition to 2 with the headset) but I've heard they're working on one that will support 6.

You know, with tracked gloves, keyboard, and mouse, a virtual office looks quite plausible. Not practical, probably, but maybe with a Gen2 headset it would be.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I still like the idea of games making you wear a tracker like a belt buckle so the game can tell the difference between the direction your head is looking and the direction your body is facing, and if you're leaning to the side or have actually taken a step sideways, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You really don't need that stuff to be tracked. Unless you're wearing gloves you still won't be able to see your hands, so tracking stuff in space is still going to be by feel. I've been using my Rift with a wireless keyboard and mouse for a little while now in Bigscreen since it's in my living room and there's a lag if I try to use my TV as a monitor, and being able to see my keyboard/mouse hasn't been necessary at all, especially since your FOV is narrow enough you can only really see the screen. Maybe the nose hole helps there, though.

Either way I dunno how you'd track a mouse, it doesn't have much exposed area when your hand is on top of it.