Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i thought fry was a pretty decent host for british comedy jeopardy and it's not like people get offended at trebek for not actually being a human encyclopedia irl either despite his show being more formal

aisling and vegas getting on fry's case for how derisively he laughed when one of them genuinely thought the sun revolved around the earth or some such was pretty amusing and it's a tone that can work for comedy imho, especially one that also blows an air-horn at bad answers and misconceptions - but i accept not everyone would enjoy that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jastiger posted:

If you have a storm door and a regular door and you lock your storm door, you are riff raff. Kill you are self if on top of that you dont have a door bell.

How much does anyone want to bet Jastiger was drunk as poo poo and locked out of a house when this was posted?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

How much does anyone want to bet Jastiger was drunk as poo poo and locked out of a house when this was posted?

No i travel to peoples homes for my work and they have a storm door and an actual door and no doorbell. Hey fucker how am i supposed to let you know im here for thr appointment if you've turned your house into a fortress. Yes let me ineffectually tap on some plexiglass instead of actual knocking.

Idiots.

Also why is Toy Story 3 so reknown for being good? It was kinda cute, kinda racist, kinda dumb. Whats so great about it?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
kinda racist?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The buzz lightyear being turned into a suave dancing romancer because his language was switched to Spanish is something right out of a 60's Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Knock on the frame you moron.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shmorky or whatever he calls himself now has really upped his game and become a decently talented animator despite being a drama filled potentially pedophile piece of crap

It's bizarre that his creative ideas have done the opposite though and gone from kind of dark Ren and Stimpy esque humor to twee emotional poo poo but I guess poo poo like that happens when your brain gets sick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stephen Fry has expressed almost exactly the same opinions as Richard Dawkins, but the Internet loves him for some reason. Even though Dawkins is a legitimately very good biologist, and Stephen Fry is just some actor. At least if you are going for intellectual elitism, wouldn't you choose the one who's actually an intellectual?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Dawkins hasn't just expressed some opinions, he's written books. River Out of Eden is the best explanation of what evolution actually is I've read anywhere.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Jastiger posted:

Also why is Toy Story 3 so reknown for being good? It was kinda cute, kinda racist, kinda dumb. Whats so great about it?

Absolutely nothing. It's mid-level Spielbergian claptrap aimed at grown-up children who have formed emotional attachments to a brand.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bimmi posted:

Absolutely nothing. It's mid-level Spielbergian claptrap aimed at grown-up children who have formed emotional attachments to a brand.

I agree, and it is a real shame, because the first one is truly a great movie.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was a pretty good fairy tale with some funny moments. The animation was pretty impressive. It was good. Not great just good. It also kind of kicked a Disney trend away in that neither princess is married at the end of the movie. It isn't "they got married and lived happily ever after" like basically every other Disney movie.

So the internet decided "they must be lesbians!" and this was considered progressive and not the sort of thing I say at the pub.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

fry may or may not be bit of clown irl but i'm just thinking of him as a host/presenter/VA/etc here, his facade of intellectualism as a host probably rubs some people the wrong way but at least it sorta works for a show that mostly just plays at enlightenment by focusing more on clever answers from comedians rather than doing it more seriously

besides, tho sandi is pretty good as a host it's not like she isn't afraid to cut someone down like a tree if their goofy anecdotes/answers get a little too ignorant; i'm sure she's a sharp, sophisticated lady irl as well but since she'll do silly for the sake of the show we may even get to see her light a fart one day despite being a little contrary :buddy:

doverhog posted:

Dawkins hasn't just expressed some opinions, he's written books. River Out of Eden is the best explanation of what evolution actually is I've read anywhere.

he's good enough that i know religious people who regard his scientific contributions fairly well even though he's a hotbed of controversy on just about any other topic

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He is highly respected in his own right as a biologist, completely aside from his popular, mass-market publications.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WampaLord posted:

You can't use "fear of death" as a motivation factor, everyone's afraid to die but the rest of us don't go around kidnapping innocent people to stay forever young. Also she does not "keep her safe" she shelters the gently caress out of her in an extremely unhealthy way.
I'm not saying Gothel is the good guy. Like I said, there really aren't any in that film. I am saying that she doesn't do anything bad (that we know of) until the king steals her magic flower that she needs to live. Stealing babies is wrong and you shouldn't do it. But stealing someone's life-support system is definitely worse.

bean_shadow posted:

Yes, Stephen Fry was a terrible host. That's why QI was cancelled after only one season.
That isn't what I said at all.

I just think he'd been host too long and I was getting sick of him. I hadn't had much enthusiasm for the show for the last couple of years, but the change of host rekindled my interest and I've really enjoyed the current season.

hard counter posted:

besides, tho sandi is pretty good as a host it's not like she isn't afraid to cut someone down like a tree if their goofy anecdotes/answers get a little too ignorant; i'm sure she's a sharp, sophisticated lady irl as well but since she'll do silly for the sake of the show we may even get to see her light a fart one day despite being a little contrary :buddy:
Not likely, since she claims that she has never once farted in her entire life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm not saying Gothel is the good guy. Like I said, there really aren't any in that film. I am saying that she doesn't do anything bad (that we know of) until the king steals her magic flower that she needs to live. Stealing babies is wrong and you shouldn't do it. But stealing someone's life-support system artificial life extending device is definitely worse.

Fixed. Gothel needs to sack up and realize she's gonna die one day.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The buzz lightyear being turned into a suave dancing romancer because his language was switched to Spanish is something right out of a 60's Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

And yet several people of Latin American decent that I know loved that part and ate it up.

It's like people who were getting upset about how "racist" Speedy Gonzales was, but meanwhile he was viewed as a positive and loved character in Mexico. Is something really racist when only some whitey SJWs are the only people who care?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

zandert33 posted:

And yet several people of Latin American decent that I know loved that part and ate it up.

It's like people who were getting upset about how "racist" Speedy Gonzales was, but meanwhile he was viewed as a positive and loved character in Mexico. Is something really racist when only some whitey SJWs are the only people who care?

It's the new white man's burden to order other races on what they should be offended by.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A life-support system is an artificial life extending device. Those mean the same thing. And it really doesn't matter if someone's 60 or 600, if they've got something they need to live and you just take it away, you're a murderer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

A life-support system is an artificial life extending device. Those mean the same thing. And it really doesn't matter if someone's 60 or 600, if they've got something they need to live and you just take it away, you're a murderer.

I'd love to do shrooms with you.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Never Mind the Buzzcocks was always superior to QI. And out of the hosts, Simon Amstell was the best.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zandert33 posted:

I don't think I've ever run into somebody that's considered Speedy Gonzales racist nor have I seen that on the internet, ever. He's a mouse from Mexico that wears a big hat and goes fast. Big deal. I have, however, heard comments on his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez being a racist character. He's slow, lazy, and carries a gun. Kind of matches some negative stereotypes.

Then again Slowpoke Rodriguez is apparently very popular as well.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd love to do shrooms with you.

He'd cry in the corner. I've seen the type before.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No ARG has ever interested me. Also I don't care about Frog Fractions or Glittermitten Gove

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Do they? The only time I see Bing Bang Theory mentioned anywhere is people calling it out for being terrible.

People who actually work as physicists, or whatever is is they do on the show, are the ones who should be upset at it. They probably don't spend their free time playing Star Trek trivia with their roommates.

I don't know physicists but I know a professor who likes to play Worms with his fat friend who once ate so many meatballs in one sitting he shat himself unconscious on the toilet. (Not while playing Worms), and also likes to watch Star Trek.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think I've ever run into somebody that's considered Speedy Gonzales racist nor have I seen that on the internet, ever. He's a mouse from Mexico that wears a big hat and goes fast. Big deal. I have, however, heard comments on his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez being a racist character. He's slow, lazy, and carries a gun. Kind of matches some negative stereotypes.

Then again Slowpoke Rodriguez is apparently very popular as well.

In a shocking twist, nations can have negative stereotypes / views of themselves, and even enjoy laughing at them. Also see: My avatar, to an extent.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Finns can't stop talking about how they hate small talk and want personal space. Though not sure if that qualifies as a negative stereotype.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like the stereotype of Americans being overly friendly and boisterous with strangers. It pisses the hell outta my BIL's German relatives and it's great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I like the stereotype of Americans being overly friendly and boisterous with strangers. It pisses the hell outta my BIL's German relatives and it's great.

I wanna go to Germany sometime this year. Are you saying that I shouldn't do the typical American greeting of a firm open hand slap to the rear end of same sex introductions? How the hell am I supposed to greet people then?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

I like the stereotype of Americans being overly boisterous. It pisses the hell outta my BIL's German relatives and it's great.

Fixed that for you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wanna go to Germany sometime this year. Are you saying that I shouldn't do the typical American greeting of a firm open hand slap to the rear end of same sex introductions? How the hell am I supposed to greet people then?

You grimace at them to let them know you're polite enough to acknowledge them, but not rude enough to assume you'd get along.

Intoluene posted:

Fixed that for you.

Naw, it might be a lesser known one but over-friendly with strangers is a legit stereotype. I've heard complaints about Americans smiling at strangers, acting too familiar, starting up conversations, etc. A lot of the complaints are Eurocentric, but I've heard them from Korean, Japanese and Indian friends, too. Thai, Dutch and Chinese folks seem to be pretty on-board, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wonder why Americans are more boisterous and outgoing than Europeans. My guess would be that our country is bigger than their continent so we're only used to dealing with ourselves instead of traveling 80 miles and being in a totally different culture.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In Europe the lower classes are more outgoing than others and European America was mostly made of those (even the upper class).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wonder why Americans are more boisterous and outgoing than Europeans. My guess would be that our country is bigger than their continent so we're only used to dealing with ourselves instead of traveling 80 miles and being in a totally different culture.

Americans just have a culture that encourages being loud and obnoxious.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Americans aren't the only loud+obnoxious people. To me I find Germans to be far louder and more prone to shouting over people than any American I ever knew.

Also English people are far more likely to violate the "don't talk about politics or religion" rule with strangers in my experience. I went to a restaurant in Zermatt that happened to be owned by someone from England and he hung by our table for basically the whole meal talking about Trump and Christianity. Sometimes people don't know when to gently caress off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's also an inaccurate stereotype. While not exactly an objective measurement, there are a ton of articles out there saying that Americans are actually among the "best behaved" tourists by nationality.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Someone on here who worked in a service industry said he and his co-workers liked American tourists because they "tipped big and were genuinely impressed with anything more than 400 years old."

:3:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

Someone on here who worked in a service industry said he and his co-workers liked American tourists because they "tipped big and were genuinely impressed with anything more than 400 years old."

:3:

Don't worry, Australians think anything over 100 years old is pretty neat :downs:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Americans are totally better than almost all other tourists, but their demeanor is still that of uncanny valley robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
At least you know where you stand with us.

Anyway, I got that same vibe when I went to Australia. Super loud, super outgoing, super friendly.

It was pretty awesome.

I wonder if maybe it does really stem from an old class divide where the people going to the Americas/Australia would not have been the aloof nobility.