Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Syrant posted:

So apparently Isayama done screwed up with some wording in the recent chapter.

The short version:

Rather than

“If I consume a descendant from the royal line who has been transformed into a Titan…”

It should’ve been

“If I touch a descendant from the royal line who has been transformed into a Titan…”

But it sure would be interesting if it were the original.

I dunno, I just thought Eren was at that age where he starts to have thoughts about eating his female friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't Zeke a descendant?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder who Annie's power will go to

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Zeke a descendant?
Yes

Phobophilia posted:

that's a big mechanics change

so the endgame is going to be to give historia a titan of her own. can't give the attack titan, because it contains the coordinator and will subsume historia's mind. giving her the colossal shifter would cost them a big asset in armin. but that would be the safest option, as a coordinator that isnt slaved to the will of the traitor king would be a strategic asset against zeke. but if misused, would accidentally set off the nuke

But they don't need to give her a titan I think. They just need Historia to touch him or somthing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

free basket of chips posted:

"Annie who?"

MonsterEnvy posted:

But they don't need to give her a titan I think. They just need Historia to touch him or somthing.

"[...] who has been transformed into a titan" - this doesn't include Historia.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I would have thought the obvious implication is that it's setting up Eren to devour Zeke and hijack the coordinate that way.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://kotaku.com/attack-on-titan-editor-arrested-for-allegedly-murdering-1791012873

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Phobophilia posted:

that's a big mechanics change

so the endgame is going to be to give historia a titan of her own. can't give the attack titan, because it contains the coordinator and will subsume historia's mind. giving her the colossal shifter would cost them a big asset in armin. but that would be the safest option, as a coordinator that isnt slaved to the will of the traitor king would be a strategic asset against zeke. but if misused, would accidentally set off the nuke

Annie's Titan is the obvious choice. Historia fits the blonde girl them already.

Hoo boy. That's some dark news.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Did Mikasa lose weight just because she was stressed out from their confinement and the revelation that eren and armin will die or is there some subtle point there I missed? It seemed like a weird detail.

free basket of chips posted:

Annie is going to help them with her kung fu.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Did Mikasa lose weight just because she was stressed out from their confinement and the revelation that eren and armin will die or is there some subtle point there I missed? It seemed like a weird detail.

Annie is going to help them with her kung fu.

Doesny she have that warrior blood thing that makes her super strong and heal fast and such
Accelerated metabolism is probably a thing

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's the latter, Eren is a doofus as usual and can't understand that Mikasa is worried sick about him.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
1. Remind me, how do we know for 100% certain that when a noble eats their predecessor and becomes imbued with the Progenitor Titan and the Coordinate, that they are *taken over* completely by the consciousness of the first king? Reiss heirs who were enthusiastic about immediately killing every titan abandon that idea and become sullen, but isn't that just because they now understand the entirety of the political situation and the risk of M.A.D. from their wall titans stomping Marley to rubble versus Marley bombing the entirety of Paradis to rubble, possibly with a literal nuclear bomb by this point?

2. (And would the "First King" possessing their body be the first Fritz to rule their hermit kingdom in the walls since ~100 years ago, or Queen Ymir herself from 1900 years ago?)

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
We do not know for 100% certain.

All we know is that the royal family believed this to be case, that the kings and queens acted in a manner consistent with this, and that the knowledge they've gained from the basement seems to support, or at least does not contradict, this belief.

There is no way to know for certain that doesn't cost lives and risk the revolution, so for the moment everyone is content to work with imperfect knowledge.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Chapter-090?id=345906

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Armin finally made it to the ocean. :unsmith:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am glad the translation was intelligible this time.

I am also glad the chapter was very good.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's chapters like this that make it really annoying when people suggest that the mangaka is masturbating over fascist ideology

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's chapters like this that make it really annoying when people suggest that the mangaka is masturbating over fascist ideology

The deal with the wall people simultaneously being stand-ins for Jews and the Japanese is a little weird to me, but it is amusing and yeah, I no longer think he's necessarily a fascist. He just hates Koreans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

False flag chapter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The deal with the wall people simultaneously being stand-ins for Jews and the Japanese is a little weird to me, but it is amusing and yeah, I no longer think he's necessarily a fascist. He just hates Koreans.

If you're referring to that commander guy he said he admires, I think it could generously be compared with Americans admiring any of their past military leaders who happened to do a bunch of terrible stuff (like Andrew Jackson or something). So more a matter of ignorance than necessarily outright condoning all the stuff they did.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I really thought the story would end with Zeke defeated and the final chapter being the cast and new generation overlooking the ocean, ready to fight for tomorrows freedom.

Guess we're off to kill some Marleyans

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kinda a weird coincidence that almost all the remaining titans just happened to have come inside the walls where they could be killed. What was keeping them from being killed outside the outer walls before that? It is because of that guillotine invention? Because it's the only thing that comes to mind that could explain why they only now were able to wipe out most of the remaining titans.

Related to that, it seems like most of the titans outside the walls being dead means they'll have to make use of the titans in the walls in order to fight the Marlyans (and they can conveniently do so relatively safely now due to the absence of titans outside the walls.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Ytlaya posted:

It's kinda a weird coincidence that almost all the remaining titans just happened to have come inside the walls where they could be killed. What was keeping them from being killed outside the outer walls before that? It is because of that guillotine invention? Because it's the only thing that comes to mind that could explain why they only now were able to wipe out most of the remaining titans.
I don't think it's a weird coincidence. It seems sensible that the attackers would go out of their way to lure as many titans to the breach as possible, before breaching it.

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 8, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It's probably that the titans are subconsciously driven to wander closer to where the coordinate is, or just their people in general.
And remember that the old regime would kill anyone who designed tools which could let them oppose the government or bypass titans too easily, like revolvers or hot air balloons. If a military engineer tried to devise a titan guillotine that could exterminate titans at a reasonable pace they'd probably be kicked upstairs to some officer rank where they don't do anything beyond streamlining the 3D gear technology. Or just get killed off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The more I think about it, the more the guillotine makes sense as a cause. Even earlier in the series there were always a bunch of titans up against the walls, but I imagine that being able to kill them constantly as they reached the walls would wear down their numbers over time, especially since they aren't exactly created at a very fast rate.

I'm genuinely curious about how the story is going to play out from here. It seems like the next story beat has to be war with the Marlyans, and I'm not sure how that'll be written since all the previous conflicts have been small scale. In this case they're going to have to rely almost entire upon being able to control titans (which I'm sure will happen at some point soon, since they don't stand a chance otherwise). I guess there's still the fight against Zeke and Reiner coming up as well.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm genuinely curious about how the story is going to play out from here. It seems like the next story beat has to be war with the Marlyans, and I'm not sure how that'll be written since all the previous conflicts have been small scale. In this case they're going to have to rely almost entire upon being able to control titans (which I'm sure will happen at some point soon, since they don't stand a chance otherwise). I guess there's still the fight against Zeke and Reiner coming up as well.

Same here. I really thought the BRA "village" would be an army command post near the beach, and we'd have our final battle on the island. How the hell are the gang going to build enough titan galleons? Hell, they still have to invent boats fit for the sea and compasses to cross. It's either Annie shows a small crew the way to Grisha's hometown to make a titan army there or Eren salvages the ship wreckage from Kreuger's attack and they reverse engineer everything. Or maybe Colossal titans can cross the ocean?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think they gave much of a gently caress about even trying to kill the titans before wall maria was breached, weren't cannons that could be aimed straight down an innovation they came up with to defend wall rose afterwards? it very much jibes with the royal family wanting to maintain isolation from the outside world and stifling inventions that might tip the balance of power and lead people outside the walls. turns out if you aren't actively suppressing efforts to systematically kill the titans it's pretty easy to do

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Ytlaya posted:

I guess there's still the fight against Zeke and Reiner coming up as well.

I can't believe that fucker isn't dead yet

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Make Eldia Great Again!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's my big prediction. I don't think they're going to kill Zeke in a fight. They mentioned that shifters die fast right? Zeke's probably going to die before they can do that and it'll be anti-climactic and no one will get to eat his crazy monkey power.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

When Crunchyroll releases their version?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Did I miss somewhere in the last few chapters where this would be explained, or is this meant to be a new mystery?

A guy who lived before Mikasa and Armin should even have been born has memories of them?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

Did I miss somewhere in the last few chapters where this would be explained, or is this meant to be a new mystery?

A guy who lived before Mikasa and Armin should even have been born has memories of them?

It hasn't been explained yet but its not necessarily a new mystery. The first chapter might be having the same trickery when Eren was dreaming/waking up

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I really hope it's not some time travel or prophecy crap, as it will devalue the whole story like in Starcraft 2 and poo poo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It hasn't been explained yet but its not necessarily a new mystery. The first chapter might be having the same trickery when Eren was dreaming/waking up

Maybe it's a lie that the story is occurring *now*, it already happened and the entire series is about a new King inheriting the previous Eren memories, and reliving all what happened. But the memories can be a bit confusing and he mixed the memory of meeting Owl with the memories of Mikasa and Armin. That scene was a clue introduced to prepare for the twist, so it won't appear out of nothing.

It could be, given the famous 'to you, two thousand from now".

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think the deal is that the people who are eaten aren't fully killed. It isn't just the raw data of the memories that's absorbed, it's something of the person as well. As such, Eren now has a pile of people boiling in his subconscious. This also means Armin may be possessed by the angry ghost of Berthold at some point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Squidster posted:

This also means Armin may be possessed by the angry ghost of Berthold at some point.
I am honestly waiting for that particular shoe to drop. Even if it only results in a chapter solely dedicated to Armin and Bert arguing at each other while Armin is doing something absolutely mundane in the real world.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

Make Eldia Great Again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

He's Assassin's Creed II ending-ing.