Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't really need it. People talking about needing tracking for all these objects probably haven't tried using them in VR. I don't need to be able to see where all the buttons are on my steering wheel in VR, I just hit them. Same with using my mouse or grabbing the keyboard leaned up against the wall. I just know where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

After fumbling my way through reloads in Onward, I am extremely glad the reloading is abstracted in Arizona Sunshine. I don't really want to be loving around with that when I have a horde of zombies breathing down my neck. Sometimes it's okay for a game to be, ya know, a game.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

AndrewP posted:

After fumbling my way through reloads in Onward, I am extremely glad the reloading is abstracted in Arizona Sunshine. I don't really want to be loving around with that when I have a horde of zombies breathing down my neck. Sometimes it's okay for a game to be, ya know, a game.

Haha there were a couple times where I panicked and even hosed up the basic "hit button, move hand to waist" reload mechanic. I can't imagine trying to do Onward type reloads in a somewhat fast action game.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I quite honestly surprised by the bluetooth limitations where it can only pair with 2 devices. Also having a dongle that only pairs with one is weird too.
16 devices is also a weird thing because don't the devices report their own XYZ and azimuth and zenith to the game engine? or does SteamVR do the maths?

16 devices seems like overkill tho.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

w00tazn posted:

I quite honestly surprised by the bluetooth limitations where it can only pair with 2 devices. Also having a dongle that only pairs with one is weird too.
16 devices is also a weird thing because don't the devices report their own XYZ and azimuth and zenith to the game engine? or does SteamVR do the maths?

16 devices seems like overkill tho.
SteamVR does the math and is also the interface that the game engine uses to communicate with the controllers, and right now the ID numbers that tracked devices can be issued run from 0-15. Its kinda overkill, but it also includes the HMD and lighthouses, so its really more like 13.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Poetic Justice posted:

Haha there were a couple times where I panicked and even hosed up the basic "hit button, move hand to waist" reload mechanic. I can't imagine trying to do Onward type reloads in a somewhat fast action game.

I never used grenades very much in the game for that reason, way too fiddly when you got a bunch of zombies closing in.

More realistic gun mechanics would be super great in a DayZ-style survival game, though. Rifling through cupboards and whatnot in AZ reminded me of the simple joys of scavenging in H1Z1 and how much better VR and motion controls are for that.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I finally played through The Gallery: Call of the Starseed after picking it up on summer sale months ago. Holy poo poo that's some good VR right there, I can't wait for the next episode. It seems weird to put to text, but it feels like lower level parts of my brain are really convinced I actually experienced that ending, it keeps popping up in my head. I bet I have some hosed up dreams tonight.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

AndrewP posted:

Honestly, if the game were balanced around it, I would love for AS and other games to have more realistic reloading. Nailing a fast reload in Bullets and More during a TDM shootout or even on the target range just feels really good.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, I could go for a semi-realistic loading system for VR. Problem is that a lot of games fumble with grabbing magazines from the waist/chest + inserting it into the magazine well. In real life, it feels extremely fluid in the transitioning, but that could just be military experience talking.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah, I could go for a semi-realistic loading system for VR. Problem is that a lot of games fumble with grabbing magazines from the waist/chest + inserting it into the magazine well. In real life, it feels extremely fluid in the transitioning, but that could just be military experience talking.

I think Onward does it pretty well. Your hand doesn't need to be exactly grabbing the ammo to grab a magazine, and as long as you move the magazine to the general location on the gun where the ammo is stored, it will automatically pop itself in. You can reload quite fast with practice.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Everything is about practice really. I can reload alot of the weapons in H3VR pretty goddamn quickly. My favorite being the AK series weapons where you can actually do this reload:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDzyfEPYGsk&t=157s

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Even though I don't have the full range of sensors on my Rift, I've had an amazing time with H3VR despite the fact that I can't really access most of its features. Loading, reloading and unloading all the weapons feels goddamn amazing and I'll never stop feeling like a badass when racking a shotgun. I do seem to have a really annoying issue where I can't seem to interact with many of the gun's additional features: I can pick up and load magazines, pull the slide and charging handles on weapons, even adjust sights, but I can't seem to remove attachments, drop magazines on some of the assault rifles or turn on attachments. Whichever controller I'm using just doesn't seem to want to interact. I don't know if I'm missing something but on the tutorial videos it doesn't look like the developer is doing anything more complicated than just grabbing things.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

Even though I don't have the full range of sensors on my Rift, I've had an amazing time with H3VR despite the fact that I can't really access most of its features. Loading, reloading and unloading all the weapons feels goddamn amazing and I'll never stop feeling like a badass when racking a shotgun. I do seem to have a really annoying issue where I can't seem to interact with many of the gun's additional features: I can pick up and load magazines, pull the slide and charging handles on weapons, even adjust sights, but I can't seem to remove attachments, drop magazines on some of the assault rifles or turn on attachments. Whichever controller I'm using just doesn't seem to want to interact. I don't know if I'm missing something but on the tutorial videos it doesn't look like the developer is doing anything more complicated than just grabbing things.

The controls for each type weapon are different - you can do it, you just have to learn how!

This covers most of it besides locomotion & other random features that have been added since he made the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAPkQ6_SrCg

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The H3VR controls are notoriously obtuse. For many guns you have to grab the magazine and then click the touchpad/stick to remove them. Attachments can be removed/repositioned by grabbing them and then pulling the stick down and clicking (as if you were dropping the magazine on a pistol). Attachments like lights/lasers are toggled on/off by grabbing them and then clicking the stick while pushing up.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Are there any games which implement sword fighting against AI better than Vanishing Realms? In that game the AI don't attempt to parry your strikes, they just continuously attack until you manage to successfully hit them. Still fun but it shouldn't be that hard for someone to implement something a bit more nuanced.. right?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Are there any games which implement sword fighting against AI better than Vanishing Realms? In that game the AI don't attempt to parry your strikes, they just continuously attack until you manage to successfully hit them. Still fun but it shouldn't be that hard for someone to implement something a bit more nuanced.. right?

Sword master seems a bit better but I'm confused as to what counts as a strike. Also take a look at Gorn (Free on Itch).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Stick100 posted:

Sword master seems a bit better but I'm confused as to what counts as a strike. Also take a look at Gorn (Free on Itch).
So, if you hit an enemy with your sword, they don't attempt to parry or dodge. Basically in Vanishing Realms enemies just attack almost constantly when in close quarters, because they don't have any defensive moves so attacking is all they can do. It means the fight isn't really a give-and-take, more just a one-sided situation with the player parrying the enemy attacks and riposting when possible. Any attacking initiative by the player is just met by more attacks from the AI, heedless of the damage they're taking.
From videos, the enemies in Sword Master at least seem to have a shield you can beat out the way and then attack. But no parrying or dodging there either.
Probably just a ton of variables for the player's sword position, orientation and movement direction which make it hard to have AI respond with appropriate parrying moves. But dodging should be easier to implement I'd hope.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

The H3VR controls are notoriously obtuse. For many guns you have to grab the magazine and then click the touchpad/stick to remove them. Attachments can be removed/repositioned by grabbing them and then pulling the stick down and clicking (as if you were dropping the magazine on a pistol). Attachments like lights/lasers are toggled on/off by grabbing them and then clicking the stick while pushing up.

It is a bit obtuse but there's only so many controls you need to learn and then it comes pretty much standard. I think the having to click the stick in to remove a mag is like that on some guns since the unclip switch is next to the mag instead of near your dominant hand which use that controller to release the mag. Plus safety switches are near the quadrants of the where you have to move the stick.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

So, if you hit an enemy with your sword, they don't attempt to parry or dodge. Basically in Vanishing Realms enemies just attack almost constantly when in close quarters, because they don't have any defensive moves so attacking is all they can do. It means the fight isn't really a give-and-take, more just a one-sided situation with the player parrying the enemy attacks and riposting when possible. Any attacking initiative by the player is just met by more attacks from the AI, heedless of the damage they're taking.
From videos, the enemies in Sword Master at least seem to have a shield you can beat out the way and then attack. But no parrying or dodging there either.
Probably just a ton of variables for the player's sword position, orientation and movement direction which make it hard to have AI respond with appropriate parrying moves. But dodging should be easier to implement I'd hope.

Fundamentally the problem is you can't have a satisfying sord fite game because your controller isn't going to stop when it hits the fake sord.

Maybe someone will figure out something sweet or cool (I had a thought about a light-saber esque type game where you can duel people and your swords would both get destroyed at the point they hit one another, so the goal is to hit their sord as low as you can with the highest point of your sord to attrition them down until you can just nug them) to get around this but ultimately I don't think it's something that someone is going to be able to iterate on enough to solve at the indie level

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Fundamentally the problem is you can't have a satisfying sord fite game because your controller isn't going to stop when it hits the fake sord.

Maybe someone will figure out something sweet or cool (I had a thought about a light-saber esque type game where you can duel people and your swords would both get destroyed at the point they hit one another, so the goal is to hit their sord as low as you can with the highest point of your sord to attrition them down until you can just nug them) to get around this but ultimately I don't think it's something that someone is going to be able to iterate on enough to solve at the indie level
Thing is, you don't necessarily need the blade to be physically stopped - you just need to have an enemy which, if it performs a physically correct defensive move (i.e. puts its blade in the right place at the right time to parry your attack) either: (a) doesn't take any damage or (b) has its blade knocked out of the way by your strike (thus either taking damage if your strike was fast enough or your ingame character strong enough, or simply providing an opportunity to quickly attack in another area exposed by the parry move).
With some decent visual queues for when enemies take damage (which Vanishing Realms already has) it could work and provide far more interesting gameplay. I reckon.

Maybe the above half-baked nonsense wouldn't worry but I'm sure there are ways to do this stuff better. Probably beyond indies though, you're right.

e: put it this way - if you make an overhead attack and the AI enemy correctly parries, it doesn't really matter that your virtual sword then passes through your virtual enemy's sword and body, as long as their act of parrying has some impact (i.e. negates damage) and there are clear audiovisual indicators of what has happened. Preferably as well, in a game like a vanishing realms the size and strength of the AI enemy, as compared to your character's strength stat + the force (speed) of your attack, would dictate what happens. So a larger enemy would just parry, negating all damage, and immediately counterattack, whereas a smaller/weaker enemy might take some glancing damage, or be staggered, thus leaving itself open for a further attack by the player.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If this guy could build this out of home depot garbage, then I want my VR exoskeleton for sword fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsAHhRxwvw&t=233s

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

If this guy could build this out of home depot garbage, then I want my VR exoskeleton for sword fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsAHhRxwvw&t=233s

I hope I'm not killing your dreams by saying a vr exoskeleton will never exist (for a regular consumer, who knows what DARPA or whoever is doing) without some pretty substantially new technology, I'm sorry my friend

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Just get some strong guy in his own HMD that instructs him to oppose you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

I thought a fencing game might work well, fencing swords being so flexible. Even if your blade got deflected or caught up you'd be able to believably continue moving the handle and the blade would just bend appropriately. I've been far too lazy to actually prototype it though.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Helter Skelter posted:

Excellent, this filled in all the gaps I needed to know. What a great little sandbox, the presence of the guns is absolutely spot on.

Bought Audioshield and that game is amazing fun! As a fan of Audiosurf I had high expectations and this game met all of them, worked up a sweat playing it for about three hours straight. The translation of your music to a beat sheet is very solid and slapping the music around feels super satisfying, kind of wish there were some subtle impact noises like Audiosurf has that you can turn off if desired.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

I thought a fencing game might work well, fencing swords being so flexible. Even if your blade got deflected or caught up you'd be able to believably continue moving the handle and the blade would just bend appropriately. I've been far too lazy to actually prototype it though.

Yeah, either that or with a rigid sword your in-game hand could just go limp-wristed, so every parried strike makes you look like you're only landing weak or glancing hits against their sword. I think Gorn might have been doing some of that.

Lemming posted:

I hope I'm not killing your dreams by saying a vr exoskeleton will never exist (for a regular consumer, who knows what DARPA or whoever is doing) without some pretty substantially new technology, I'm sorry my friend

I can accept that, but I dunno, it doesn't seem like it would need to be super expensive. I feel like it could be in that expensive Kickstarter niche like the Omni treadmill.

option 1) You could have an aluminum exoskeleton with miniature hydraulics that don't need to move you, they just need to lock up individual joints to restrict your range of motion when appropriate.

option 2) This would actually be super cheap and hilarious.... just a full body suit with a shitton of electrical muscle stimulation pads. At an E3 I ran into one that ran from one end of your bicep to the other and simulated gun recoil on trigger pull very convincingly. Just uh, keep them away from your heart.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 11, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

JoeMB posted:

It is a bit obtuse but there's only so many controls you need to learn and then it comes pretty much standard. I think the having to click the stick in to remove a mag is like that on some guns since the unclip switch is next to the mag instead of near your dominant hand which use that controller to release the mag. Plus safety switches are near the quadrants of the where you have to move the stick.
I'm not saying there's no logic to the controls or that they're tremendously difficult once you learn them, just that they are not at all obvious to someone just jumping in (especially if that person doesn't have prior real-world firearms experience) and are communicated in-game precisely nowhere.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, either that or with a rigid sword your in-game hand could just go limp-wristed, so every parried strike makes you look like you're only landing weak or glancing hits against their sword. I think Gorn might have been doing some of that.

I can accept that, but I dunno, it doesn't seem like it would need to be super expensive. I feel like it could be in that expensive Kickstarter niche like the Omni treadmill.

option 1) You could have an aluminum exoskeleton with miniature hydraulics that don't need to move you, they just need to lock up individual joints to restrict your range of motion when appropriate.

option 2) This would actually be super cheap and hilarious.... just a full body suit with a shitton of electrical muscle stimulation pads. At an E3 I ran into one that ran from one end of your bicep to the other and simulated gun recoil on trigger pull very convincingly. Just uh, keep them away from your heart.

This would be absurdly expensive, that's the point. Not to mention it would take forever to put on and you'd need help.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

One thing I haven't seen much of is haptic feedback gloves that use bladders of air or liquid to restrict hand movement. It could conceivably be cheaper to produce than a bunch of mechanical components.

As an example, putting a bladder under the knuckle of each finger would result in the joints being forced to open as the bladder expands.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 11, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SwissCM posted:

One thing I haven't seen much of is haptic feedback gloves that use bladders of air or liquid to restrict hand movement. It could conceivably be cheaper to produce than a bunch of mechanical components.

As an example, putting a bladder under the knuckle of each finger would result in the joints being forced to open as the bladder expands.

Pneumatics are pretty slow to respond and not incredibly cheap. Especially if you're talking about multiple joints.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
You wouldn't need a full exoskeleton, just something to lock your hands and feet into. Something like this

(only gif I could find in short notice. But now you, too, could VR as McMahon)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lemming posted:

Pneumatics are pretty slow to respond and not incredibly cheap. Especially if you're talking about multiple joints.

I haven't really looked into it so you're probably right, but I still feel that some kind of variation on that technology is more practical than most of the other concepts I've seen being demoed.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

I've been trying to remember, does Raw Data do something like that too? There's definitely some other game that has either the sword itself moving in your grip or your in-game wrist moving to accommodate interaction between the blade and solid surfaces.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So for grins, I hooked up my android phone via an app called riftcat, which emulates an openvr headset in steam. Now I only have an HD4000 "GPU" in my 2012 era laptop, but I was indeed able to get steam VR games to load, if only at 2-3fps

I'm kind of curious to try some really low end wireframe VR stuff to see if I could approach 30fps on a 2012 era laptop. The unity logo seems to track at around 20-25fps before the main game loads.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So for grins, I hooked up my android phone via an app called riftcat, which emulates an openvr headset in steam. Now I only have an HD4000 "GPU" in my 2012 era laptop, but I was indeed able to get steam VR games to load, if only at 2-3fps

I'm kind of curious to try some really low end wireframe VR stuff to see if I could approach 30fps on a 2012 era laptop. The unity logo seems to track at around 20-25fps before the main game loads.

Godspeed on your journey to Vomittown, in the county of Barfsville, my friend

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think 2fps in a seated position is enough to trigger your inner ear, but I'll give it a try

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Hadlock posted:

Thats awesome. Even if it's useless, you gotta love that you can pump Elite into your phone in 3D

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's support for 6dof head tracking using the free version of TrackIR, and apparently (haven't tried this yet) someone wrote a vive wand driver for the leap motion had tracker. It's like 1" precision, rather than submillimeter precision, but hot dang you can cobble together a very barfy Steam VR compatible seated experience for under a hundred bucks if you know what you're doing. Now that proof of concept works, I have a lot more inventive to finally update my laptop to something with a pascal GPU in it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I don't think 2fps in a seated position is enough to trigger your inner ear, but I'll give it a try

If the image sticks to your face it absolutely is

I know I started feeling it pretty quick when I was playing job sim and filled my gas station counter with slurpee cups until my FPS was in the single digits, that was not a good feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's not ideal, but given what you can do with a five year old laptop with no GPU and $100 in hardware, coded by a couple of Russians who don't know the difference between the words look and lock, I'm pretty excited to see what happens with the Microsoft creators update in April with the new $300 VR headsets on a modern laptop with direct driver support from Microsoft. Here's hoping that third party lighthouse wands make it to market this year.