Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

who gives a poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urtoqW_jewo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tonight we got a dusting of snow and ice, no big deal.

I was going along at a nice easy 30mph on what looked like a worn-clear section of the four-lane road, and a traffic light waaaay up ahead turned red. So I gently put on the brake, nice and easy.

And the ABS came on, kicking back against my foot. And it stayed on. Even with the constant computer-controlled brake-pumping, I was barely decelerating at all. It took everything I had to keep my foot down and trust that ABS computer as I came sailing up to the brake lights of the car stopped ahead of me at the stoplight. A detached part of my brain counted my mouth saying "gently caress" seven times.

The ABS stopped me with about four feet to spare.

(Deep breath.) gently caress. (Eight.)

When the light changed and I (very carefully) pulled through the intersection, I saw on the cross street a police cruiser parked near several other cars. I couldn't see if any of them had damage to their front or rear bumpers, but I could guess why they were all there.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yo engine brake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PenisMonkey posted:

Yo engine brake.

Engine brake isn’t magic that allows you to conjure traction from the æther.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Better than applying the brakes at 30mph on ice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PenisMonkey posted:

Yo engine brake.

The thought of downshifting did occur to me (it's a stickshift, after all), but I doubted I could do any better with that than the brakes could do, so I just kind of hung on and trusted the computer. And hey, it worked out fine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powered Descent posted:

Tonight we got a dusting of snow and ice, no big deal.

I was going along at a nice easy 30mph on what looked like a worn-clear section of the four-lane road, and a traffic light waaaay up ahead turned red. So I gently put on the brake, nice and easy.

And the ABS came on, kicking back against my foot. And it stayed on. Even with the constant computer-controlled brake-pumping, I was barely decelerating at all. It took everything I had to keep my foot down and trust that ABS computer as I came sailing up to the brake lights of the car stopped ahead of me at the stoplight. A detached part of my brain counted my mouth saying "gently caress" seven times.

The ABS stopped me with about four feet to spare.

(Deep breath.) gently caress. (Eight.)

When the light changed and I (very carefully) pulled through the intersection, I saw on the cross street a police cruiser parked near several other cars. I couldn't see if any of them had damage to their front or rear bumpers, but I could guess why they were all there.

Winter tyres?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Powered Descent posted:

The thought of downshifting did occur to me (it's a stickshift, after all), but I doubted I could do any better with that than the brakes could do, so I just kind of hung on and trusted the computer. And hey, it worked out fine.

Do both next time. I've saved my rear end by downshifting more times than I can count.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong here or that you're a bad driver. It was obviously a pretty rough situation and you started braking plenty early enough to stop, but at least in my experience, adding downshifting to a low-friction panic stop seems to help. Maybe find an icy parking lot or something somewhere and practice it and test it out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A downshift can initiate a skid if you don't rev match perfectly and are on ice.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm yet to have that happen but I guess I'm also used to rev matching on downshifting. I still think it's worthwhile to practice it somewhere safe so that you have it available when you might need it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You should be trying to revmatch on downshifts anyway, unless you hate your synchros.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Rev matching is more of a clutch saving technique than a synchro saving technique.

Your synchros are still working to match the intermediate shaft speed when you move the stick unless you're also double clutch shifting. Simply rev matching doesn't lighten the use of your synchros.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Ferret King posted:

Rev matching is more of a clutch saving technique than a synchro saving technique.

Your synchros are still working to match the intermediate shaft speed when you move the stick unless you're also double clutch shifting. Simply rev matching doesn't lighten the use of your synchros.

That's what I meant. I forget that there are people lazy enough to not double clutch.

I drove a Jeep with ragged out synchros for a few years, double clutching is something I do without thinking about now.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I started practicing it a while back because I wanted to know how to do it, and now it's muscle memory so it feels weird to shift any other way.

However, synchros are there for a reason, they ought to stand up to some use for folks that don't want to complicate shifting more than it already is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A short time after I got my license as a dumb young kid, it was deep into winter and I was doing what kids do in the snow.. drive like it's a rally. Well one time I was doing that around a blind corner and suddenly got a face full of headlights, had a bit of an oh poo poo moment.

Jammed on the brakes, managed to slide to a stop a couple feet from dude's door, and wiped my brow.

What was interesting though was when I collected myself to get moving again, I noticed the shifter was in reverse. Probably wouldn't have done diddly if I had actually released the clutch but I guess I get points for trying?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EightBit posted:

You should be trying to revmatch on downshifts anyway, unless you hate your synchros.

Yes (well, to save your clutch), but if you're on such ice that you have essentially no braking ability, it only takes a small mismatch in revs or letting the clutch out a bit too fast to cause a loss of traction.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PT6A posted:

letting the clutch out a bit too fast to cause a loss of traction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCE7wKlGMU&t=70s

sorry for the terrible video.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you have that little grip trying to engine brake is probably not a good thing to do. You have much finer control with the brakes.

I can think of two really good ways to shorten stopping distances:

Drive slower
Get better tires

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yep... I've bitched previously about my ABS freaking out and being better off engine braking in first gear on snow, but that's with the special case of an extra-stupid ABS system and good snow tires with studs, they need to slide a bit and dig in to get traction just like you do with MTs offroad in loose gravel or mud. In most cases, doing that will probably make things worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

If you have that little grip trying to engine brake is probably not a good thing to do. You have much finer control with the brakes.

I can think of two really good ways to shorten stopping distances:

Drive slower
Get better tires

Retrorockets.

Mostly because rockets on cars is awesome.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Parachutes are also acceptable as they do not rely on road conditions. Only that you be on Earth

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parachutes are less effective as you slow down though. Rockets do not have that weakness. :colbert:

(the exploding part is fine by me)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

If KSP taught me anything, it's that lithobraking is the most effective way to slow down.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I want Bean Bandit's extending wheel spikes.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

um excuse me posted:

Parachutes are also acceptable as they do not rely on road conditions. Only that you be on Earth
They didn't help Richard Hammond :colbert:

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

um excuse me posted:

Speaking of mandated winter driving courses this happened on my way to work.

There are no crashes even though it's a dashcam video.

Bonus idiocy.

Is this by the Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Retrorockets.

Mostly because rockets on cars is awesome.

They have brakes on the light rail trains in Denver that dump sand on the rails to help traction; I wonder what that would look like with cars?

Just imagine skidding across ice when suddenly, your car starts making GBS threads sand everywhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Automatic chains are also a thing for trucks and busses. I am not sure they would work so well on the front but a little sand sprayer thing in front of the wheels might actually be useful.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 10, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Protocol7 posted:

They have brakes on the light rail trains in Denver that dump sand on the rails to help traction; I wonder what that would look like with cars?

Just imagine skidding across ice when suddenly, your car starts making GBS threads sand everywhere.

This seems like an idea for Colin Furze.

I really wonder if it would work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would work, but it's hard to keep sand dry and willing to be sprayed.

I would imagine the most effective method would be an air compressor and a couple gravity feed sandblasting guns with big nozzles spraying towards the ground in front of the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This sounds like a top gear (or grand tour if you prefer) sketch in the making.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Holy poo poo it is, that's Manchester Honda for sure

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Your're darn tootin'. I live in the area.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is that really a toll road??

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
what in the loving poo poo? http://www.wbbjtv.com/2016/03/26/car-tangled-in-power-lines-driver-trapped/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Huh, I knew Saturns had plastic panels but I didn't know you could just bolt on a whole quarter like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's your takeaway? Not the fact that someone managed to climb a telephone pole via the guide wires and suspend themselves 8 feet off the ground, but instead the options for replacing body panels?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

That's your takeaway? Not the fact that someone managed to climb a telephone pole via the guide wires and suspend themselves 8 feet off the ground, but instead the options for replacing body panels?

Hi, I don't think we've met.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Any guesses as to what's laying on the right side of the pole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Catching up on thread, this is going back a bit.

Powershift posted:

It's "4 season approved"

BF goodrich ko2 tires have that symbol and are rated for mud + snow because money i guess?

My General Grabber AT2s have it too, and they have a pretty similar tread pattern.

ko2:

grabber at2:

Obvious differences are the AT2s are studdable and have more siping, but they're very similar tires.

I have no complaints so far this winter. Definitely a huge, noticeable improvement from the 8/32" remaining tread M+S Michelin Defenders I had before.

My boss who lives in the mountains recently put KO2s on his 4x4 59 F100 plow truck. He hasnt had to use chains yet this season.

I don't think they bribed anyone to get the label.