Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three-Phase posted:

I don't get why tripling the disk speed results in the boot time decreasing by a couple times more than that, maybe there is a ton of highly random access in the boot sequence that slowed things down? (Not an apples-to-apples comparison, I mean.)

That is exactly it, booting involves a lot of random seeks.

Apple actually has some clever tricks to greatly decrease boot time on HDDs after a few boots. There's a kernel extension cache for making the kernel load faster, and it also records the list of sectors accessed during boot, then copies them into a linear-order boot cache file. Both of these can take a few boots to fully kick in, but once they do, booting from that HDD gets a lot faster (until you do something to invalidate the cache). Neither of them do a thing for SSDs, of course.

They also do "adaptive hot file clustering" (moves frequently accessed files to the fastest part of the HDD, which is the lowest-numbered sectors), and on-the-fly defrag. Basically, whenever you notice that your HDD is super slow, it's actually worse than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is there any other critical things I need to do to accommodate using an SSD versus a mechanical drive? Besides TRIM which I already enabled.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

Is there any other critical things I need to do to accommodate using an SSD versus a mechanical drive? Besides TRIM which I already enabled.

These tweaks?

A little old, but stil relevant.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Three-Phase posted:

Also I just noticed that when it was doing the FileVault encryption the rate has jumped to over 400MB/sec written. :psyduck:

FileVault 2 uses the built-in AES-NI instructions available on most Intel CPUs beginning with the Westmere series, which provide hardware acceleration for encryption/decryption; this has the effect of speeding up encryption/decryption to the point where activating FileVault 2 results in hardly any user-perceptible slowdown.

It's a huge improvement over the previous FileVault and has been part of OS X since Lion.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/10/filevault-2-benchmarks-disk-encryption-faster-mac-os-x-lion/

Mac Mini Late 2012s use Ivy Bridge i5s or i7s where this hardware assisted E/D is available, so they are good for using FileVault 2. As mentioned in the article cited, FV2 even works better with platter based drives.

If you have a Mac with an older CPU that doesn't support AES-NI, usually a 2010 model or earlier, your FileVault 2 performance will be a lot slower.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Platystemon posted:

These tweaks?

A little old, but stil relevant.

Don't do any of this silly poo poo

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The slowdown even on my platter wasn't too bad. But it still was altogether awfully slow.

As God as my witness, I'll never buy a platter drive again!

(Except for backups and cold storage stuff maybe.)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We're just like a few years away from cheap 10TB SSDs right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pryor on Fire posted:

We're just like a few years away from cheap 10TB SSDs right?

4TB Samsung EVO is $1,300

Back when the Intel XM-25 came out it was $595 for 80GB, that was 2008

So yea. 2 years from now you'll probably be able to get a 10TB drive for $799 or something insane.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You'll have datacenter racks with storage measures in exabytes in a few years here.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three-Phase posted:

As God as my witness, I'll never buy a platter drive again!

(Except for backups and cold storage stuff maybe.)

Do that, SSDs aren't the best choice for offline (unpowered) long term storage.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
gently caress me, buying 2016 MBPs is becoming the bane of my life for this company....

Has anyone built a decent adaptor yet for connecting the cinema displays to USB-C yet, most of the ones ive looked at so far are garbage and one of our engineers is pretty much adamant that he wants to keep his.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
tsunderebolt or mdp?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

tsunderebolt or mdp?

Its a thunderbolt 2 one of the matt 32" displays when the native output was DVI, its using a DVI to TB2 adaptor....

So far my thought process was TB2 > DP, then use another adaptor to do DP>USBC

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Its a thunderbolt 2 one of the matt 32" displays when the native output was DVI, its using a DVI to TB2 adaptor....

So far my thought process was TB2 > DP, then use another adaptor to do DP>USBC

You mean 30"? Those are DisplayPort and you can't use the USB-C->TB adapter and then go to MiniDP. You can only use the TB2 adapter to connect to the very last generation TB display

You'd have to get the USB-C to MiniDP adapter

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

You mean 30"? Those are DisplayPort and you can't use the USB-C->TB adapter and then go to MiniDP. You can only use the TB2 adapter to connect to the very last generation TB display

You'd have to get the USB-C to MiniDP adapter

Yeah thats what ive been trying to get. So the reviews of a lot of USB C to Mini DP adaptors have been pretty lovely right now so what ive done is rigged up a chain linked TB2>Displayport then DP > USBC. Waiting for one adaptor to arrive though so not been able to test yet

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

tell your coworker that thing's 6 years old and obsolete and that the future is here and he can't use this old poo poo and needs the courage to upgrade to that LG5K display. then throw a whole bunch of dongles at him.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My GF finally became frustrated enough to potentially upgrade her old MBP but not buy a new one. Googling upgrades has given me different answers, so I'm just here to clarify. If I can, I'd like to add more RAM and an SSD.

MacBookPro6,2 // Core i7" 2.66 15" Mid-2010 with an i7 2.66Ghz and 4GB of RAM. Seeing what I can do from there. Or maybe Apple's "Total Repair" policy would be better? She states it has no water encounters, so would that fly?

edit: On the RAM, I'm guessing she would need to purchase 8GB vs 4 since unlike desktops, they don't have 4 slots?

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 10, 2017

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

EconOutlines posted:

My GF finally became frustrated enough to potentially upgrade her old MBP but not buy a new one. Googling upgrades has given me different answers, so I'm just here to clarify. If I can, I'd like to add more RAM and an SSD.

MacBookPro6,2 // Core i7" 2.66 15" Mid-2010 with an i7 2.66Ghz and 4GB of RAM. Seeing what I can do from there. Or maybe Apple's "Total Repair" policy would be better? She states it has no water encounters, so would that fly?

edit: On the RAM, I'm guessing she would need to purchase 8GB vs 4 since unlike desktops, they don't have 4 slots?

An SSD will make that will be like a whole new machine. I put one in my 2012 MBP and it was like night and day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

An SSD will make that will be like a whole new machine. I put one in my 2012 MBP and it was like night and day.

Yeh

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
making memory 8 gb and a battery replacement probably wouldn't hurt either

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My girlfriend is still using a 2009 13" MBP. I upgraded the memory and put in an ssd, and the Apple Store replaced the battery and trackpad last year.

The only reason she might replace it is it's no longer getting OS updates. Other than that it's a great machine.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

EconOutlines posted:

Get 👏 The 👏 S 👏 S 👏 D

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

EconOutlines posted:

on the os side the mid 2010 is the oldest mac pro to run 10.12, it will probably be dropped in the next release

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Even Apple can't pretend that they aren't getting loving murdered on market share any more:

quote:

Apple's Mac share of personal computers worldwide fell to a five-year low in December, mimicking the company's own numbers that have portrayed a four-quarter sales slowdown.

According to web analytics vendor Net Applications, Apple's desktop and notebook operating system -- formerly OS X, now macOS -- powered just 6.1% of all personal computers last month, down from 7% a year ago and a peak of 9.6% as recently as April 2016.

Net Applications measures operating system user share -- an estimate of the proportion of all personal computer owners who run a device powered by a specific OS -- by counting systems whose browsers reach websites of its clients.

The Mac's 6.1% user share in December was the lowest mark recorded by Net Applications since August 2011, more than five years ago. Although the Mac number fluctuates month to month -- as do all estimates from the metrics firm -- its general trend has been up for two-thirds of a decade: In 2009, for example, the Mac accounted for only about 5% of all personal computers.

Mac has become an unmitigated disaster at Apple, it's really breathtaking.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here have personal experience upgrading the SSD in a late 2013 15" rMBP? I remember it was around this time that they started making it harder to get to the SSD.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Even Apple can't pretend that they aren't getting loving murdered on market share any more:

They don't care

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

They do, trust me I've listened to every conference call for a loooong time at this point. Analysts hate hate hate them losing market share more than anything, and they keep getting grilled about it because it's just an accelerating trend.

It sure would be a nice bright spot to point to now that iPhone sales are starting to disappoint. Regardless it's almost becoming a mark of embarrassment to be on the mac team nowadays, rumors are people are jumping ship if they can't get a position in another department.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm really curious what their numbers look like when you include mobile and tablet. Without a subscription I can't see that data, but I'm going to guess Windows probably dropped by a similar amount. It just makes better clickbait when you say Apple instead of someone everyone knows and accepts to be part of a dying industry like Dell. But from what that one chart shows, half of all Windows installs are on an operating system they haven't sold in any great number since the first half of Obama's first term.

It's not a disaster for Apple if Apple is already transitioning to mostly mobile architecture and services as their bread and butter. It just sucks for us.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Those are bullshit numbers if you look at any other stats

I mean did like 25 million mac users just disappear over night?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

pretty sure apple still has a >90% share of computers that cost over $1000

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Does anyone here have personal experience upgrading the SSD in a late 2013 15" rMBP? I remember it was around this time that they started making it harder to get to the SSD.

You need a Pentalobe screwdriver to get the bottom case off, and a tiny torx to get the SSD out. I swapped them between my 11" Air and 13" rMBP a short while back, but the procedure is the same for the 15"

On the left we have a 512GB 2013 MacBook Air, on the right a 256GB late-2013 MacBook Pro 13"

Get out the trusty iFixIt pentalobe and torx drivers. Bought these back in 2012 when I first did a swap on a Retina and have used them quite a few times since.

Opened up

The drives look almost the same other than some numbers on the chips.

Let's flip them over

There are 3 different types of screws holding the bottom plates of these two laptops on.

Put them back together and fire em up.

Success!

Being 2013's the drive was the same speed in the Air and the Pro.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
E: oops nevermind

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why the hell can't Apple just stick recent hardware into the Mac Pro?

eames
May 9, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Why the hell can't Apple just stick recent hardware into the Mac Pro?

:iiam:

I used to think that they're getting ready to switch to ARM but they don't seem to care enough about mac OS for another big architecture change. My next best guess is that they're waiting for Ryzen/Vega. How funny would it be if the next Mac Pro had no Thunderbolt but a bunch of PCIe slots. I'm sure their marketing department could pull it off somehow.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Give me an updated mini w/ a quad core i5 or i7, 16GB of RAM, a fast SSD and either the latest and greatest intel iGPU or whatever dGPU the 15" MBP has. Apple plz.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

You need a Pentalobe screwdriver to get the bottom case off, and a tiny torx to get the SSD out. I swapped them between my 11" Air and 13" rMBP a short while back, but the procedure is the same for the 15"

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Splinter posted:

Give me an updated mini w/ a quad core i5 or i7, 16GB of RAM, a fast SSD and either the latest and greatest intel iGPU or whatever dGPU the 15" MBP has. Apple plz.

The mini is dead

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just get an Intel NUC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I might look at a Hackintosh for my next computer. At least then it can have good hardware and be a desktop. But I also feel like I need to migrate away from MacOS, since it seems like they are as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Mac App store being lovely was a sign of that I guess.