Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Merging SQ42 with Star Citizen would make sense. It's idiotic for them to keep to making two games when they practically and provenly can't handle developing one, while the project management is chaotic due to parpy Chris and marketing stuff is taking up all or most of their resources.

However, it would be another link in their chain of broken promises and they have already sold SQ42 as separate packets to get more moneys. It also dramatically reduces the scope of SQ42 (lol 3 episodes with hours and hours of missions and gameplay).

I was more interested in SQ42 than whatever impractical and unfeasable stuff they were dreaming about their MMO.

I am glad that I got out before SQ42 implodes and "is now in the game".

Yea, don't think that would be just broken promise, it would be a clear case of false advertising that they couldn't delete from the internet, given how many "news" articles were put out about the split of S42. I can see them trying to call S42 prelude as "promise complete" and then try to roll everything else into SC, but even then they'd be running a really big risk of a whale going over the edge and starting the lawsuit train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Tippis posted:

This will not end until everyone in the room has been replaced, will it?

You really have to ask?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Mangoose posted:

These are all the jokes I found in this amazing photoshop.

Don't forget the back of the baseball cap on the guy in the left foreground. Excellent embroidery.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
loving lol, rip rtv

"Open development, etc etc"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/15667-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mangoose posted:

The posters in the background seem ripe for shopping

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Chalks posted:

The posters in the background seem ripe for shopping

I dunno, they already seem to have Star Citizen on them :downsrim:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: All your posts are full of insults and bullshit, unlike mine you dumbass idiot :argh:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

Had a pretty good chuckle didn't even spot the D man peeping through the door. Until i seen this one showing the random easter eggs

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mangoose posted:

doesnt the back of the guys hat say "get a refund, citizen"

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I have a theory that the SQ42 Vertical Slice was cancelled due to Infinite Warfare showing them up.

Within two months they went from "nearly done" to contradicting themselves about the nature of what the demo would even be. There's a big thing that happened in those two months and it's the launch of Infinite Warfare. A blockbuster military scifi AAA dogfighting and on foot combat game that simulates downtime between missions in your spaceship carrier and lets you freely choose which missions to do across a whole Star System, and performance-captured Game of Thrones characters, i.e exactly what SQ42 is supposed to be. It even does the more open-freeform combat situations that SQ42 is supposed to with your character movement, hacking into bots to turn them to your side, calling in air support, using turrets, even hijacking mechs, all of which is more dynamic than Star Marine combat.

Despite backers insisting SC will be insanely polished, unlike those evil publisher games, they've never put out anything polished for anyone to judge this, and I genuinely think they can't, even their pitch videos passed off as progress are buggy messes. IW is actually insanely polished and good looking, it has probably the most stunning space vistas of any released game and faces that don't look like they're melting.

So I think they realised their grand showing was poo poo compared to games actually released and chickened out, Chris then turns up to the Anniversary show announcing they're redoing the Vanduul and all their ships because they're not fidelitous enough, so they're probably redoing everything to try and stay on the bleeding edge. They can't convince anyone with gameplay, so they have to do so with graphics.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mangoose posted:

Because apparently no one else got the joke.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

loving lol, these really are the last days of CIG lmao.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Isn't "Happy Hour Friday" exactly the same though?

I won't believe they're hosed until they cancel 10 for the Chairman

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

no, it's essentially one of the "community managers" playing star citizen with one of the streamers.

this couldn't be any funnier at this point, while the community rages about open development not being so open anymore, they continue to close that door, my god

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

RubberJohnny posted:

I have a theory that the SQ42 Vertical Slice was cancelled due to Infinite Warfare showing them up.
<snip>

That thought had crossed my mind, take this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaZw1xMxBQ&t=71s and contrast it with the morrow tour or the star citizen equivalent of the spaceship launch sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wTqdDXplc#t=014m47s . You can polish that as long as you want it's not going to look anywhere near as dynamic and exciting.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

nawledgelambo posted:

no, it's essentially one of the "community managers" playing star citizen with one of the streamers.

this couldn't be any funnier at this point, while the community rages about open development not being so open anymore, they continue to close that door, my god

I think it's awesome the game has progressed to the point they can create meaningful videos of legit gameplay not just ~=dReAmS=~

With one of their top streamers contributing, they stand to increase their viewership a lot compared to the measly thousand or so who hung around for RTV. I can see great potential in this

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

:allears:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Aim =/= Resolution?

There's the problem, a 'Resolution' is an absolute that must be kept or else is untrue, whereas an 'Aim' doesn't have to be accurate to be true.

I can see why they didn't make "Continue to improve content" an actual 'resolution' though, just aim in it's general direction and hope it sticks, they are amateur hour.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Couldn't resist

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:rip: reverse the hearse

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

This is awesome, and also adorable :3:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Finally played E:D and it's no loving contest lol, who cares about SC

Like star citizen already exists but is way better and it's called E:D, unless you're some sperg that wants The Sims in space and want to worry about not accidentally making GBS threads your space pants.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Uncle Derek's influence has spread to my facebook wall.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Reimburse the Nerds

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So new title means something happened? I only see like 1000 unread posts though, and that was a backlog of some days.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Randarkman posted:

So new title means something happened? I only see like 1000 unread posts though, and that was a backlog of some days.

Moma happened.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Moma poopooing the aliens in ED because that's a real game

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: etc, etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

They haitus cuz they ain't us.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Justin Tyme posted:

Finally played E:D and it's no loving contest lol, who cares about SC

Like star citizen already exists but is way better and it's called E:D, unless you're some sperg that wants The Sims in space and want to worry about not accidentally making GBS threads your space pants.

And mopping. There's no mopping in E:D

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Good post. So long as Chris Roberts continues to directly speak to the backers through his immensely popular Q&A folks should have nothing to worry about.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Amarcarts posted:

I seem to remember ultimately we were promised 70 missions in Squadron 42.

Mission 1: Watch the 12 minute Admiral's speech without skipping the QTE.
Mission 2: Watch the 36 minute "Old Man" briefing without skipping the QTE.
Mission 3: Write a review on IMDB, RottenTomatoes, etc on the awesomeness of the acting portrayed by the role 'Pusher'.
Etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The cutscenes won't be skippable because they will all be done in-game from the player perspective.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's gonna be like half life with cutscenes.

But you'll jank through the floor every 5 minutes, so make sure to save often unless you really like Pusher.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Well you don't know what they are doing, so it must be unprecedented!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really hope someone saves all the mocap and dumps it online once the company goes bankrupt.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We joke about "open development" but it really is funny how folks can make an argument like that and still maintain the illusion that CIG is transparent.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
CTRL-F "MMORPG" — 58 matches.

Must be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing about SC is, cryengine has been used for MMOs before, and while most (maybe even all?) MMOs built on cryengine are poo poo for one reason or another, many had zero issues with
a) performance
b) netcode

lol.

tax: