Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Fascinating.

(And there's your new page.)

Pancakes heal a good chunk of TP, and are relatively cheap to make as long as you remember to buy berries from the berry vendor in the bar. There are other food items, but mostly I just filled my bag with Pancakes and never worried about TP. Uh... you can eat food items out of battle, and they take up a completely separate bag space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
TP restoration's overall more forgiving than it was in EO2U, since Hamaos are far better in EO5, can be unlocked incredibly early, and also Magic Heal exists.

Amritas are unlocked in the 4th Stratum, while Amrita IIs are unlocked in the 6th Stratum, for those of you who were curious. Amrita IIs are made with a conditional drop that requires instant death, by the way!

(Also incoming update.)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 13: The Strongest Link

Hmm... Lanzon, have you seen Greg? Been looking for him all morning.
"Seen" is one word for it, yes.
This mangy mutt won't leave the lower half of this coffin!
I didn't think anyone would find a Necromancer coffin comfortable, but I evidently don't understand dogs too well.
Gram, please, can you coax Greg out of there? I can't prepare for our trip into the Labyrinth like this.
Heh! I wish I could coax him outta comfortable napping spots. Looks like we're stuck here 'till he wakes up.
...Precisely my luck. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Floor subtitle: Collapsed pillars force detours on this rocky mountain.

The floor opens immediately with a giraffe puzzle. There's a twist on this one from 7F, though, which we'll see in a bit.

The path that starts here is too long to cross without running into a giraffe, so we have to head into that corridor visible in the screenshot.

The merciless sun beats down on you as you walk through the seemingly endless trails. Wiping away your sweat, you feel a deep thirst, but you aren't carrying all that much water with you.
Oho, do my eyes spot a cactus fruit?
When you check the area, wondering if maybe there's something around here that could wet your parched throats, Lanzon says they found something. There's a patch of cactus growing nearby, with ordinary stems and bright red fruits. The fruits seem edible at first glance, but they may be poisonous or worse.
Hold up a second, let's check the cactus first...
Despite your thirst, you're unsure if these will be safe to eat, you decide to observe a bit longer. That's when you notice a small bug land on one of the fruits.
!
It's a scissor-horned kabuto beetle, and it seems to be drinking juice from the fruit. If you wish, you may be able to capture it.
This bug shall be mine!
You swiftly reach out for it and manage to get it into a cage!

(Obtained Scissor-Horned Beetle!)

Ahhh, what a perfect specimen.
Y-yes, I'm sure that bug is...just fine. Please, dear, just...put it in our pack.
Why're you so scared of bugs? It's almost kinda cute how small it is.
How do I detest insects? Let me count the ways. ...Actually, hm, that might make for an excellent sonnet...
As fun as writing might be, shouldn't we be focusing on the fruit?
Since the beetle was drinking the juice, it may be safe for consumption. You haven't yet decided yet whether or not to eat the fruit.
Yes yes YES, I haven't had anything to eat or drink yet!
I... Why did you skip breakfast?
Driven by their powerful thirst, Dosen grabs a fruit and bites into it without hesitation! With a crunch, they suddenly find their mouth full of hard seeds.
Urg... Blech!
While they instinctively gag and spit them out, in the process they notice that there is also plenty of sweet liquid inside.
Okay... One bit of advice... Drink, don't eat...
They shouldn't be bitten into, but you can still suck the juice out of them. The rest of you learn from Dosen's example and indulge yourselves in this fruit juice...

Your thirst quenched, you return to exploring with renewed vigor.

"Cactus and beetle

After observing the cactus, you both caught a beetle and and quenched your thirst."

Choosing not to wait for the beetle or not drinking the juice after getting the beetle lowers the EXP reward.

Feeble Miasma now increases ailment/bind infliction rates by 1.42x.

Lanzon learns Bestow Mana because I'm actually using Jars as Chain fodder now, and because it increases his LUC a bit.

If my notes on the giraffes' movement are correct, this one should be right beside this boulder.
So?
So, whatever we do, we must not shove this boulder. Shoving it would cause great harm to the giraffe, and I'd rather it die quickly and easily, rather than under the weight of this thing.
Wouldn't a boulder this size kill it pretty quickly?
Well, even with a giant boulder, a giraffe that large probably wouldn't--
I-it would, actually, yeah. Hang on, lemme--

...It's still on its feet, even if it's stunned. Absolutely amazing!

Shoving a boulder on top of a giraffe lops off 25% of its HP, shoves it backwards, and stuns it until we leave the floor. The boulder being here also disrups the other giraffe's charging paths, meaning we can actually progress from this room now!

(Obtained Viewing Crystal!)

The Viewing Crystal reveals all shortcuts, stairways, FOEs, gathering points, and treasure chests in a 9x9 area around us. Any FOEs that are on tiles we haven't "discovered" yet are also shown.

...Y'know, the neckbeast's stunned, and we haven't logged one in the Monstrous Codex yet.
I know where you're going with that, and is that really a great idea?
Y'know, I've heard that neckbeast fur fetches a high price in some markets...

TO THE DEATH, NECKBEAST!

Dashing Neckbeast
HP: 4484
STR: 66
INT: 45
VIT: 47
WIS: 45
AGI: 42
LUC: 45
Skills:
  • Charge: Uses the head. Doubles the damage of the next used physical attack. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.
  • Power Sweep: Uses the head. Deals 100% melee STR-based bash damage to all party members. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Giraffe Fur. 100% chance. Sells for 455 en.
    • 1 needed to make Giraffe Surcoat (+27 DEF, +20 MDEF).
    • 1 Giraffe Fur and 1 Strong and Thin Branch (2nd Stratum Take 1) needed to make Killing Shot (+45 ATK, +44 MATK, Risk Perception, Silver x3).
Damage Resistances:
125% 100% 100%
75% 100% 100%
Disable Resistances:
25% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50%
100% 10%
75% 50% 50%

Dashing Neckbeasts are incredibly simple: they'll either use a normal attack, or Charge followed by Power Sweep. A Charged Power Sweep will either wipe out our party entirely or, failing that, leave our front line severely injured and our backline either dead or close to it (assuming I have guard skills and characters using Defend.) Head binds are a good way to completely neuter giraffes, but if you don't have that, your only real option is damage racing it.

Since I'm sure you can guess what Iseria and Sasha do, let's skip to Raven, who's using Feeble Miasma to make Lanzon's job easier.

Said job is inflicting poison.

Urk... What's the stuff in these jars made out of anyway...

A. Be a dear and replace the giraffe's blood with acid.
Feh.

Thank you very much~

Using Tri-Shield works if you're just trying to guard against normal attacks, but it won't do anything against Power Sweep.

Might as well get three ghosts for Fire Bomb spam.

Not gonna happen!

Oh, yeah, Dosen has a bow equipped.

This means he activates extra Chain hits!

Well, that's... Less than impressive. To be expected when going up against an elementally-resistant monster, though.

It's worth it just to proc a Chain hit.

Hey, don't look at me, all I had to work with was a bit of stomach acid.

You're loving kidding me, the poison's gone already?! Two turns is the literal minimum for how long a disable can last! Ugh.

Chewing through that much HP without poison's gonna be annoying.

(Charge.)

Uh, the neckbeast looks puh-retty pissed off.
We'll be fiiiiine, trust me.

To avoid a total party wipe, I have Dosen use Aegis Shield. If you'll remember the Races update, Aegis Shield is the "ultimate" Brownie limit, and it completely nullifies all attacks to the party for one turn.

Okay, apply a bit of :30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux:...
Apply what?
That's a tongue I'm unfamiliar with...

...What the gently caress? Why did C die?

Uh oh. I don't have any answer to this aside from defending.

Everyone defends, Sasha applies the Line Guard effect to the front row.

At least this momentary vanishing is brought to me by a majestic creature...
In what world is this beast majestic?

Okay, that's not so bad, right?

I agree with B... This neckbeast is...incredibly majestic...

Uh oh.

A-another one?
I'm still hurting from the last one...

And now I'm hosed. I can't do anything against this next one.

The fur...wasn't worth this...
I'm gonna listen to people less...in the next life...

Dears... I don't think we're outrunning this beast...
Why must my life come to an end already?!
...Why did I put saying that off?
...Saying what off?

I've been trying to run for several turns and it's just not happening. I feel like I'm playing EO4 again--failing to run this often is an anomaly for EO5.

(The explorers have fallen...)

I should not have wiped here. The poison only lasting two turns was bullshit. Any longer and the thing would've died before all that nonsense.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GreenLazyAcouchi.webm
Welp... Doesn't matter now...
What I would give...to record this experience...

...Hang on. What...is this? I'm still conscious...
hi
...Uh, hello?
hey
What's...happening? Where are your voices coming from? What's this red vortex?!
the universe ending
...WHAT?! Is this some sort of joke?!

What you're seeing there is the usual EO game over "save your map data" prompt. For anyone new to the series, when you game over in an EO game, you're given the option to save any modifications you made to your map after your party's wiped--basically to save you the time redrawing it when you reload, and to help you better prepare for whatever might've killed you.

There's no reason not to accept this, so I do.

Do you mind if we just give you The Ability to Fix the Universe and call it a day? We were kind of busy at the bar.
Sssssssssssure?
okay good, that makes our jobs easier

Wait, what jobs?!
okay cya
try not to gently caress up next time

Uh, Raven, you okay? You look--
No I am not okay. Lemme just... Think for a bit...

From here, I do everything I did before. Including fighting the Dashing Neckbeast.

This time, the loving poison decided to last a few more turns, but, uh, now I'm left without any options against an incoming Charged Power Sweep.

I used Tri-Shield to at least keep Iseria and the ghosts alive.

Not...again...
Wait, "again?" ...Oh, I can mull on that later, there's a victory to be had!

If I can just stall for a turn or two, I'll win.

(Defeated Dashing Neckbeast!)

(Received 1 Neckbeast Fur.)

Ha! Haha! It's only natural that I would triumph in the end, even alone! ...Although, my achievement is somewhat diminished by everyone being dead...

Back to town to fix everyone being dead.

Parrot Gun (+44 ATK, +49 MATK, Lightning Shot, Bronze x4) is made from 1 Electrified Beak (Bounce Parrot conditional). Costs 2620 en, sells for 1048 en.

Lightning Shot: Uses the arms. Deals ranged INT-based volt damage to one enemy, with line-piercing effect. Has a 120% speed modifier and 100 base accuracy at all levels.

Garbage for Dragoons, decent for Warlocks. If you're only hitting one enemy, Lightning Shot at level 5 compares favorably to Lightning: 7 TP for 130% damage at level 5 for Lightning Shot, compared to 12 TP for 129% damage at level 5 for Lightning.

Giraffe Surcoat (+27 DEF, +20 MDEF) is made from 1 Giraffe Fur (Dashing Neckbeast normal). Costs 1640 en, sells for 656 en.

Despite Lightning Shot being useless for Sasha, I bought her a Parrot Gun anyway since it's a pretty big improvement over her old artillery.

S-Sasha? Dosen? What's with those looks in your eyes?

GOLDEN FUR. I MUST HAVE IT.

A rare breed Dashing Neckbeast is the one time I'm willing to fight a rare breed FOE, mostly because I can still get the preemptive, and it's not like the damage increase it gets means anything, given that it's very capable of killing us already.

Yes yes yessssss, look at it, it's still sparkling...
How much do you think we can sell it to Ceric for?!

Rare breed FOE EXP can best be described as "a truckload."

I forgot to spend the drat skill points again, though.

That's my favorite, because when you go in the Custom screen and see a forgotten skill point it's like Christmas.

I'd like to note that I bought a Magii Irana for Raven after going back to town to heal.

Eep.

Well, uh, approaching this from the front would be dumb. (The scorpion here doesn't turn. Ever.)

Y'know, running from that scorpion and...running from the scorpion's made me tired. How about we take a break?

There's a campfire spot here.

Well, it's the actual right time for a campfi

whoops hang on gotta check my 3DS's battery

okay we're good

(yes I still have my EO2U cart in my recording 3DS, months after finishing that LP)

fyi ragnar has like a billion 3DSes

re...
Raven, dear, are you okay? You look shaken.
I'M FINE. ...I've got words for those invisible jerks the next time I see them...

Anyway I cook a bunch of foods. I don't think anyone particularly cares which ones I cooked since we've seen them before.

To progress, we have to shove this boulder, so that it blocks the scorpion's line of sight.

With that, we can progress peacefully.

This food point has Labyrinth Wheat.

I'm sure this gigantic open corridor is perfectly safe.

OH gently caress SCORPIONS

RETREAT

You stop as you sense strange about a certain rock. For whatever reason, it feels like there should be something behind it. Unsure if this is just your imagination, you crane your necks to peek around it.

This is a Sense Mana check.

As you examine the mysterious area, Lanzon lets out a small sound and slowly points at the ground. They tell you they can feel a powerful energy. It was probably so strong that even the insensitive among you could tell something was off. You can either leave it alone or try to dig it up to see what it is.

Why would you not dig it up?

You begin chipping away at the patch of earth that Lanzon indicated, using the handles of knives and whatever else is available. Soon enough, you've uncovered something. It appears to be a small box, clearly ancient. Lanzon informs you that the magic is emanating from its lock. You can only assume that someone must buried it here long ago, and Lanzon sets about dispelling its magic. Inside are several silver coins.

(Obtained 3 Lunarian Silver Coins.)

"Ancient treasure box

Using your ability to sense mana, you successfully found an old treasure box."

I remembered that I had skill points to spend.

Still don't want to bump Material Guard up to 5.

Cure Herb now has 255% healing power.

Anyway. The solution to the corridor is to block the scorpions' line of sight with this thing.

(Obtained Bronze Ingot!)

I piss them off and box myself in for this, though. Well worth my time, in my opinion.

I do some forging back at town, and use a Bronze Ingot to max out Lanzon's Megalith 5006.

Barrier Wall, the skill on Lanzon's Megalith 5006, now reduces physical damage to the entire party by 34%, compared to 26% at level 4, but also costs 15 TP instead of 9 TP now.

...Wait one second. Why are we fighting a scorpion?
To fill in this agonizingly-blank space in the Monstrous Codex.

Yeah, uh, I just decided to fight a scorpion for no reason other than I could.

Tunnel-Visioned Predator
HP: 3657
STR: 63
INT: 46
VIT: 53
WIS: 44
AGI: 44
LUC: 54
Skills:
  • Binding Bludgeon: Uses the legs. Deals 130% melee STR-based bash damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 40% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Sharp Pincer. 100% chance. Sells for 360 en.
    • 1 needed to make Shokudaigiri (+63 ATK, +26 MATK, Charge, Silver x3). Costs 4070 en, sells for 1628 en.
    • 1 needed to make Cut Charm (+30% cut resistance). Costs 1000 en, sells for 400 en.
    • 1 Sharp Pincer and 1 Rat's Tailspine (Lightning Squirrel Normal) needed to make Scorpio Rod (+41 ATK, +62 MATK, Volt Smash, Silver x3). Costs 4300 en, sells for 1720 en.
  • Conditional: Petrified Crystal (Kill while petrified). 100% chance. Sells for 889 en.
    • 1 needed to make Crystal Gauntlet (+20 DEF, +10 MDEF, +30% petrification resistance). Costs 1730 en, sells for 692 en.
Damage Resistances:
75% 75% 100%
125% 125% 125%
Disable Resistances:
50% 75% 75% 50% 50% 50% 100%
50% 50%
25% 25% 25%

I don't have any methods of inflicting petrification other than Petrify Gasses, and even with a weakness, they're not too reliable, so I'll take care of the conditional at another time.

Contrary to what you might expect, Tunnel-Visioned Predators don't inflict poison like you'd probably expect a scorpion to--in fact, they're weak to it, which makes Lanzon's job easier. An easy poison infliction means we'll chew through 3657 HP fairly quickly.

Oh, right, the scorpion itself. 63 STR means even normal attacks hurt a decent amount, and Binding Bludgeon will leave even someone under the effect of Line Guard hurting quite a bit. Nothing unrecoverable, though.

Iseria will only spam Chain Fire. That's it.

Sasha tosses out one of my two remaining Fire Jars for Chain Fire hits. (I don't need to use Line Guard since I got a preemptive.)

Feeble Miasma and Poison Bomb, same combo as last time.

And Dosen just does a normal attack to get a Chain hit.

Hm. So much for all scorpions only being innately weak to electricity.
Where the heck did you read that?
Guild TFKrew lent me an old Monstrous Codex from another land they've explored--Etria, I think they called it?
Never heard of it.

Aw, what?

Is there, uh, some kinda trick to using these?

Yeah, uh, Earthrun characters do not make for good Jar users.

I wasn't interested in the Jar damage, though.

Oh dear. We might be here for a while if the poison doesn't land.

I use Tri-Shield to give myself a free turn. The scorpion can only ever hit two people at maximum.

My "Invincible (mostly)" guarantee holds true!

YOU HAD ONE JOB, DOSEN

That's more like it.

A few turns pass where our damage numbers basically consist of this on repeat.

It's much more effective than what we were doing earlier.

By the time the poison wears off, the scorpion's already close to dying.

Unfortunately, Lanzon's out of ghosts right now, so I need to resummon them.

Which I don't do.

Because I'm smart.

(Binding Bludgeon.)

Uh-oh.

(Lanzon reduced the damage Sasha took!)

Wait, what?! Lanzon didn't do anything this turn!

(Lanzon reduced the damage Dosen took!)

Okay, I'll cut the act. I appear to have found a bug that no-one else has discovered (at least it's not documented on the @wiki).

See, last turn, Lanzon used Barrier Wall, that phys damage reduction skill on his coffin. Now, on this turn, Sasha used Gun Mount after having used it last turn. As it turns out, Gun Mount does not only replicate the shield skill the user used last turn--it replicates ANY shield skill from ANY party member.

That's a pretty stupid and funny bug if you ask me, but its usefulness in a standard run is also pretty limited in scope. I only discovered it because Barrier Wall technically counts as a shield skill.

Hey, a bug that makes your life easier instead of harder! I love those.

Then the scorpion died.

Lanzon learns Anatomy to boost his INT a bit.

Back to town to heal.

Shokudaigiri (+63 ATK, +26 MATK, Charge, Silver x3) is made from 1 Sharp Pincer (Tunnel-Visioned Predator normal). Costs 4070 en, sells for 1628 en.

Charge: Uses the arms. Increases the damage of the user's next physical attack. Has a 50% speed modifier at all levels.

Garbage until level 5, at which point it's basically a TP conserver. I'd grab one for Jana, but honestly, there's other katanas that are more easily forged, and with the boatload of Amritas we have both in our pack and in storage, TP's not an issue.

Cut Charm (+30% cut resistance) is made from 1 Sharp Pincer (Tunnel-Visioned Predator normal). Costs 1000 en, sells for 400 en.

Incidentally, since I haven't shown it yet, here's Haggle in action (Dosen knows it). All of Ceric's prices are reduced by 5%--it's most noticeable with Ariadne Threads (top), since they normally cost 100 en.

I actually do the scorpion puzzle correctly this time and move on.

An encounter with a rare breed Cliff Goat leaves Lanzon dead, and gives Raven and Dosen level ups.

Feeble Miasma now increases infliction chances by 1.46x.

Dosen learns Acrobatics in case an event needs it.

As you proceed along the dusty path, you're suddenly struck with a strange discomfort. Stopping to look around, you notice that the soil seems to have been disturbed, and the ground is flecked with black marks, possibly bloodstains. You can either turn back now, or keep going.
Everything about this just screams "bad idea."
Keenly aware of the suspiciousness of this place, you keep going.
Maybe another party died here? It wouldn't hurt to see if their pack is still-- OUCH!
...Immediately afterward, a giant steel jaw closes around Raven's leg! They seem to have stepped on a bear trap!

Startled, Raven nonetheless bears the pain and begins to try to pry open the trap. ...After a hard struggle, they successfully free themselves and gingerly stand up on their injured leg. To prevent this from happening to anyone else, you destroy the trap before moving on.
Owwwww, ow ow ow ow owwwww...
Euch. That wound's preeeeetty deep. Gimme a sec to patch it up...
Ooh, are you gonna try that disinfecting herb you talked about?
No time like the present, I guess. Good idea.
Wait, what does that mea-- OH GODS IT'S EVEN WORSE THAN THE TRAP OWWWWWWWW!

"The bear trap incident

You encountered a fearsome bear trap set in the Labyrinth. Surprised by it, you resolve to be more careful in the future."

As you proceed through along the path, surrounded by rock, you come across a dead end with a small hole. The entrance isn't large enough for a person to pass through, but you can tell that it opens up deeper inside. You could probably reach an arm inside to feel around for something. Although obviously that isn't necessarily safe either. You can either reach inside or leave.
Allow me, gentlemen and princess.
Sasha, accustomed to danger by now, casually reaches inside the hole. As you thought, it's much larger inside, so they continue to grope around for while. But as you all nervously watch Sasha work, you're suddenly attacked by monsters from behind! Sasha hastily pulls their arm out to help fight!

Blehhhhhhhhhh I hate squirrels enough already, an ambush is just salt in the wound.

The battle over, you breathe a sigh of relief and turn back to the hole. However, a strange shadow now appears on the wall. It seems the sound of the previous battle has attracted even more monsters! They bare their fangs at you and pounce!

Blehhhhhhhhhh again.

The second battle won, your shoulders are heaving from your heavy breaths. You decide to sit down for a while when you hear the sound of wings from above!
Oh COME ON.

Blehhhhhhhhhh and also yawn.

Having defeated a veritable swarm of monsters, you finally turn your attention back to the hole. Sasha eventually touches something metallic and pulls it out. It's a helmet, presumably left by some adventure, and in pristine condition. You have no idea why anyone would hide a brand new helmet in a hole, but you might as well take it with you.

(Obtained Pith Helmet.)

Ooh, it resembles hats I've seen explorers in jungles wear.

...Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure pith helmets aren't metallic.

"Hidden opening

Having withstood numerous monster attacks while investigating a hole in the cliff, you obtained a new helmet."

At the end of the long, twisting path you reach a dead end. You dutifully mark this on your map and are about to head back when you find you eye caught by a single white flower blooming from the cliff-face. Growing in quite a high place, you find that the beautiful flower soothes all those who look at it. You're given the impression that finding a flower in a place like is a rare experience that should be treasured. Someone may be able to climb the cliff and pick the flower so you can take a closer look. All the better if they know Acrobatics and can climb without risk.

Let's send Dosen up there, shall we?

Confident in their agility, Dosen steps forward and immediately begins their swift ascent towards the flower... The rest of the party watches as they approach the flower and gaze at it... And soon enough they've returned, presenting something in the palm of their hand. They've plucked a single round petal from the flower. Even the lingering fragrance of it is enough to make you temporarily forget your troubles and the Labyrinth, and just relax.

After jokingly thanking the white flower for improving your mood, you return to exploring.

"Flower blooming on the cliff

A single flower blooming in a precarious location. Your eyes drawn to it, you take a moment to admire it and find yourselves relaxed."

And that's the floor.

Let's go back now.

Oh yeah, did you hear that someone saw a rhinoceros beetle with lots of horns on floor 10?
I can't say that we have.
The way you said "rhinocerous beetle..." That's how someone talks about something they despise...
I've got this thing about beetles, cannot deal with them at all. When I was a little chiddler I got into a fight with a beetle over a watermelon...and lost...
I'd question how, but I've been in similar scuffles...

So, you've finally reached the 10th floor? After the 2nd Stratum, naturally the 3rd will be next! I betcha it'll have a completely different atmosphere, but more importantly, there'll be cool new stuff that you'll find, and there'll be cool new stuff that you show to me! I'm quaking in my boots in excitement!

Us Lunarians have a natural ability to see in the dark. They call Night Vision, but it's more than just being able to see at night. It can even help us hit our targets in battle. Similarly, Earthrun, Therians, and even Brownies all have their own racial traits. If you want to succeed in the Labyrinth, make good use of these racial skills.

Bar patrons.

#1 is Hansuke yet again.

#2: Slender-eyed doctor:

Doctor: Ow ow ow, never thought we'd bump into a rampaging gorilla, of all things. To borrow a line from one of my guildmates: "They're not as fast as the other monsters, but boy do they pack a punch." Maybe it'd help if they were blinded? Or had their arms bound?

10F has two quests associated with it, but I need to finish A favor for Ceric I before doing one of them.

Clinical trials:

So, you're taking that one? Thanks. It's from a Lunarian pharmacist in town. They want something for a new drug they're testing. Specifically, they need a rare white flower petal from the 2nd Stratum. Apparently, even just the scent of it has a healing effect. Sounds kind of amazing, honestly. So the clients have already looked into it, and discovered that it grows on the 9th floor. Unfortunately, that's all they've got: we don't know of any particular location. Which is why we need people like you, who are already familiar with the floor. Anyway, that's the long and short of it. Good luck finding that white flower.
We, uh... We already found it.
Guess we're making a repeat trip soon...

Well, drat. Cleared the 2nd Stratum in the blink of an eye. Guess I wasn't giving you your proper due. Promising young talent like you keep showing up, this town's future is as good as gold.
Oh, Edgar, you're making me blush.
...For the time being though, they're still gonna squeeze every last drop they can out of old bags like me. That golden future's still a long way off.

...Remus's dialogue is...the same. Huh. Wonder what that means.

What I do know is that talking to Remus means it's the end of the update. Next time: 10F.

Rea fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 10, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, the Gorgon Bow has a semi-reliable petrify effect. That's how I got the scorpion drop.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 14: E2M5 (Alternatively: MAP10)

...I wonder what type of person Marina was...
Alexis. I need a younger person's assistance.
Gck! C-Cecil, your knock sounded like you were trying to break my door... Anyway, come in. What is it?
Mio's been insistent on observing my practice routines for quite a while. She also keeps talking about mining during said routines.
...Mining? Pardon?
Specifically, she keeps shouting something about ore.
Ore, hm? Perhaps that's a Japanese way of saying she needs a jewel cut for something?
I don't do jewels, though. I do monster bones.

Alexis had a lot of skill points to spend from bringing him up to speed. I didn't want to bring Predict up to costing 11 TP per cast just yet, so I tossed some points into Race skills, one point into Rapier Mastery for stab element Sylphid hits, and three points into Vision Thrust.

Cecil brought each of the bind punches up to level 5 (177% damage, 40% base chance to bind, 5 TP), and leveled up One-Two to level 6 (123% damage, 50% follow-up chance, 9 TP).

Jana leveled up Armor Penetrate to 9 (200% damage, 25% def reduce, 8 TP), and tossed the leftover two points into Katana Mastery because I'm out of things I want on her (3% damage increase).

Mio leveled up Oracle: Dance to 4 (168% damage, 26% resistance reduction, 12 TP), got some Race passives, and then put another point into Prayer: Eradication (23% atk increase, 10 TP) because I ran out of other things to level up.

Also I fully forged Gram's current bow.

(Floor subtitle: The king of sky, who rules the plateau.)

Th-that gorilla's muscles are bigger than its head...
Muscles bigger than heads...? That sounds just like those wretched BLOODBEARS.

Hammer Kong
HP: 893
STR: 60
INT: 38
VIT: 45
WIS: 42
AGI: 29
LUC: 44
Skills:
  • Giganto Hammer: Uses the arms. Deals 100% melee STR-based bash damage to all party members. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Huge Wristbone. 100% chance. Sells for 85 en.
    • 1 needed to make Howitzer (+48 ATK, +33 MATK, TP Up 1, Bronze x3). Costs 3280 en, sells for 1312 en.
    • 1 needed to make Haubergon (+27 DEF, +27 MDEF). Costs 1800 en, sells for 720 en.
    • 1 Huge Wristbone (Hammer Kong) and 1 Razorstone (2nd Stratum Mine 2) are needed to make Mandau (+49 ATK, +49 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3). Costs 2480 en, sells for 992 en.
  • Conditional: Burnt Chest Pouch (Kill with fire damage). 100% chance. Sells for 164 en.
    • 1 needed to make Pith Helmet (+16 DEF, +15 MDEF, +3 AGI). Costs 1280 en, sells for 512 en.
Damage Resistances:
100% 50% 100%
100% 100% 100%
Disable Resistances:
150% 100% 100% 50% 100% 100% 100%
100% 50%
100% 150% 100%

Hammer Kongs hit hard and can take a lot of damage before they die.

You have no idea how hard it is for me to not make a lovely Donkey Kong joke right now.

Pretty sure the game already did it for you.

As always, monsters are too brutish for their own good.

[img-
We interrupt this broadcast to inform you that we've replaced the rest of this update with lovely Donkey Kong jokes. Let's see if Ragnar notices.

(Received: 1 Triangular Kitten Ear and 1 Huge Wristbone.)

A 1% damage increase for Jana.

(Obtained 2 Moon Apples!)

This food point has Moon Apples.

Hmph. Greg could topple that mutt in a second.

Giant Spotted Dog
HP: 577
STR: 69
INT: 36
VIT: 58
WIS: 54
AGI: 42
LUC: 38
Skills:
  • Weapon Break: Uses the head. Deals 130% melee STR-based cut damage to one party member. Reduces the target's physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Hound Jawbone. 70% chance. Sells for 47 en.
    • 1 needed to make Leiomano (+59 ATK, +42 MATK, TP Up 1, Bronze x3). Costs 2010 en, sells for 804 en.
    • 2 Hound Jawbones (Giant Spotted Dog normal) and 1 Crested Bird Wing (Bounce Parrot normal) are needed to make Tinbe (+21 DEF, +13 MDEF). Costs 900 en, sells for 360 en.
  • Rare: Blackened Claw. 60% chance. Sells for 50 en.
    • 1 needed to make Sasanoyuki (+57 ATK, +37 MATK, TP Up 1, Bronze x3). Costs 3090 en, sells for 1236 en.
    • 1 needed to make Corsica (+9 DEF, +21 MDEF). Costs 660 en, sells for 264 en.
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 150% 100%
Disable Resistances:
50% 100% 50% 150% 50% 150% 100%
100% 100%
150% 100% 100%

Giant Spotted Dogs are considerably less threatening to us now than their red counterparts down on 1F were when we first met them. Attack debuffs are basically moot when I have Mio, and even then, lowering one row's defense was far more dangerous.

CEASE YOUR YAPPING AT ONCE!

I can't deny that a wild dog that's taller than I am is quite a bit threatening.

(Received: 2 Broken Bladeclaws, 1 Hound Jawbone, and 1 Blackened Claw.)

(Received 1 Strong and Thin Branch naturally, 1 Twisting Root from Alexis, and 1 Strong and Thin Branch from Cecil.)

10F, B3 Chop Point
  • Strong and Thin Branch. 45% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Pilgrim's Staff (+32 ATK, +50 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Neckbeast Fur (Dashing Neckbeast) and 1 Strong and Thin Branch needed to make Killing Shot (+45 ATK, +44 MATK, Risk Perception, Silver x3).
    • 2 Pudding Cores and 2 Strong and Thin Branches needed to make Pudding Glove (+10 DEF, +13 MDEF).
  • Syrupy Resin. 45% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make War Scythe (+41 ATK, +41 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 3 needed to make Resin Targe (+16 DEF, +7 MDEF).
  • Twisting Root. 10% chance. Sells for 350 en.
    • 1 needed to make Springy Sandal (+8 DEF, +18 MDEF, +5 AGI).
  • Ambush Chance: 15%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfNaovmhHA

(Mist Slice.)

Jana is both quick and nimble when she needs to be and my best way of neutralizing dangerous enemies for a bit, thanks to Mist Slice.

I think this sword's getting a little worn out...
Worn out? Looks more like it's getting blunt from being frozen to me.
I didn't know swords could be blunted from being used to conjure up ice.
And I didn't know swords could conjure up ice in the first place. I don't wanna question it.

I should get around to buying Mio a new weapon soon, probably something with INT Up or TP Up on it. Cold Wave's becoming pretty mediocre by this point.

Hoo-Ha now deals 127% damage on the initial hit, and has a 52% follow-up chance.

As you proceed carefully through an area with loose footing, you come across a person collapsed on the ground. Wondering if they were perhaps attacked by a monster, you rush to their side, however they tell you that they're fine.
Oh, hello again.

Y'know, as fun as Guild TFKrew showing up is, I'd like it if the game could use the other guild cards I got from Clarste and Tyty sometime soon.

Introducing themselves as Glock from Guild TFKrew, apparently they got separated from their party before slipping on these rocks and spraining their ankle.
...Um, we'd offer some medicine, but the only medicine we have are Amritas...
Perhaps we should trek back to town to stock up on some Hamaos?
Eh, we'll be fine.

my pack is so stuffed full of Amritas that it's easy for me to forget that I don't have any HP restoration items in a party that has no healing skills

Unfortunately, you have no medicine on hand so you won't be able to help them. However, [Name] dismisses your concern with a smile and a wave of their hand, claiming that their party will be back for them soon enough. Praying for their safety, you return to exploring.

Having some Medicas on hand would let us get an Adventure Episode in the end, but my tendency to be an idiot means we miss out on it permanently.

Yes, permanently. Events involving guilds from Guild Cards can't be repeated, even if you fail a check like that.

A random encounter gives Alexis a level.

Vision Thrust now costs 9 TP, in exchange for dealing 210% damage and having a 65% base blind chance.

P-pardon me, I must look away for a second...
Scared of heights? Vertigo?
A-acrophobia is the term, I believe...
Eeeeee, that's adorable! Do you need to cling to someone?! Oh, if only Raven were here...
I-I'm glad you can derive enjoyment from this...

Incidentally, the outer edges of 10F look considerably different from previous floors.

A scenic view from 750m.

As you climb the scenic trail, you come across an open area suitable for a break. It seems some of your predecessors had the same idea, as a number of stones suitable for sitting have been placed near each other. You can either put down your bags and rest or hurry on.
P-please, as long as we face away from the cliff...
Feeling tired from simply walking the Labyrinth, you decide to stop for a break. You each put down your belongings, find a nearby rock to sit on, and begin wiping away your sweat or gazing at the sky, or whatnot.

Your bodies and minds refreshed, you get up with renewed vigor! ...However, when you go to grab your bags, you notice them wriggling about on the ground! Worried about what this could be, you look inside the bags carefully only to reveal small animals stuffing their cheeks with your food. They appear to be the rodents known as "hamsters".
OUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!
When they notice you they scurry away into the crevices of the cliff, but the damage has been done. The hamsters have eaten your food. Slumping your shoulders at the loss, you return to exploring.
How...careless of me... RRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAGH!
Cecil, dear, please stop punching the ground.

We lose four random food items from this. Oh well. I don't particularly care about that. Better than losing an Ariadne Thread or something, squirrels.

Also, if you have no food, the hamsters get very confused, and the Adventure Episode placard changes slightly.

"The fearsome hamsters!

During your exploration, you stopped to take a break but in the meanwhile hamsters got into your food supplies."

Hamustaaaaaa!

I went back to town because Alexis died while dodgetanking too many enemies. Such is the risk of using Predict.

Mandau (+49 ATK, +49 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Huge Wristbone (Hammer Kong normal) and 1 Razorstone (2nd Stratum Mine 2). Costs 2480 en, sells for 992 en.

Leiomano (+59 ATK, +42 MATK, TP Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Hound Jawbone (Giant Spotted Dog normal). Costs 2010 en, sells for 804 en.

Sasanoyuki (+57 ATK, +37 MATK, TP Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Blackened Claw (Giant Spotted Dog rare). Costs 3090 en, sells for 1236 en.

Killing Shot (+45 ATK, +44 MATK, Risk Perception, Silver x3) is made from 1 Neckbeast Fur (Dashing Neckbeast normal) and 1 Strong and Thin Branch (2nd Stratum Chop 1). Costs 2120 en, sells for 848 en.

Risk Perception: Gives a chance to nullify blindsides.

I'd say this would be an okay equipment skill if it wasn't tied to an FOE drop.

Howitzer (+48 ATK, +33 MATK, TP Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Huge Wristbone (Hammer Kong normal). Costs 3280 en, sells for 1312 en.

Haubergon (+27 DEF, +27 MDEF) is made from 1 Huge Wristbone (Hammer Kong normal). Costs 1800 en, sells for 720 en.

Corsica (+9 DEF, +21 MDEF) is made from 1 Blackened Claw (Giant Spotted Dog rare). Costs 660 en, sells for 264 en.

I buy a Leiomano for Cecil, a Sasanoyuki for Jana, and a Killing Shot for Gram. I fully realize that two of these are current downgrades. That's fine, because...

I do some forging immediately after.

I then recycle the old weapons. This gives me a Bronze Ingot in return, and I end up with 5 Bronze Scraps left over.

I wanted to take care of the two quests I have active, so I do so.

You return to the cliff you visited before and look up to see the white flower swaying in the breeze, the same as ever. This is clearly the flower the pharmacist was looking for. Just as you're coming up with a plan of action, you suddenly feel a strong gust of wind, which shakes the flower furiously. Miraculously though, the only effect of this was to dislodge a single petal, which gently flutters down to the ground. You casually pick it up and offer a word of thanks before placing it in your pack.

(Obtained White Petal!)

I also got a Bound Hoof, which we need for A favor for Ceric I.

Jono (+45 ATK, +35 MATK, Panic Assault, Bronze x4) is made from 1 Bound Hoof (Cliff Goat conditional). Costs 1820 en, sells for 728 en.

This was the thing I needed to unlock for the aforementioned quest. When we leave, Ceric says this:

Well don't be shy, come take a look! This is is the Jono you just helped me make! Ain't she a beaut? I'll be putting it up for sale right away, so check it out if you're interested! Oh yeah, and I left the reward with the same Lunarian lady as usual. Pleasure doing business!

So you finished Ceric's request, right? Good work, as always. Come to think of it, since you're always completing his requests, it's kind of like he's your best customer too. And since he's also putting them up in my bar, I suppose I've gotten involved in this as well? *chuckle* Well, either way, I hope we can continue this profitable relationship. Here's the reward. Thank you.

(Obtained Jono.)

Alexis already has a better sword. Oh well.

Welcome back. Looks like you found that white flower without any trouble. Oh my, it really does smell nice... It's almost like it's both calming me down and filling me with energy. Oh, whoops, I probably shouldn't be manhandling this before I deliver it to the client. Thanks for your work, here's your reward.

(Obtained Petrifrisser!)

...What need have I for such a blade?

The Petrifrisser has a 20% base chance to petrify on normal attacks. G A R B A G E

Hoo-Ha's initial hit now deals 131% damage, and it now has a 54% follow-up chance.

I can't wait to get specializations.

Target Arrow now costs 10 TP, still deals 175% damage, but now reduces defense by 30%, and lasts for 6 turns.

Prayer: Eradication now buffs attack by 25%.

Walking along the Labyrinth, you notice something left on the ground near the edge of the cliff, right over the abyss. Looking more closely, it seems to be a collection of copper and silver coins, a charm of some kind, a gun, and other items you'd expect an explorer to carry. The ground they're on is filled with small cracks, and their owner may have thought it would be too dangerous to recover them.
No. I refuse to go anywhere near there. For all I know, an unstable cliff could've claimed the life of my betrothed.
Taking a step forward, the ground trembles and a piece of the cliff falls away. ...It really is quite dangerous. You can either leave this alone or attempt to recover the lost items.
What's a performer if not someone who likes taking risks? So, what should I go for?
I'd say the charm. We have plenty of money, and Sasha has no need for a new gun.
Alley-oop!
You reach for the charm on the unstable ground. The moment you do so, the soil crumbles away, and everything but the charm you grabbed falls into the abyss.

(Obtained Arm Guard!)

Having obtained the charm, you carefully leave the dangerous area and return to exploring.

"Lost goods and cliff

You discovered some items near the edge of the cliff. While you barely made it, you obtain a beneficial item."

Sometimes, you gotta wonder what twisted maniac is responsible for these areas.
Oh, that's an easy one: the dungeon designers! We'll see them once the credits roll.
...Beg pardon, dear?

This room is a combination of a scorpion and giraffe puzzle. It's easier for me to show than tell:

F2 is where the giraffes spawn, and F1 is where the scorpion spawns. The giraffes charge in a counter-clockwise pattern. Our goal is to aggro the scorpion and run from the left corner to the door; the scorpion will block the giraffes' charge that way.

Like so!

You can also just avoid the scorpion's line of sight and barely sneak between the two giraffes on the right.

It's just like driving in a city.

This next room is a giant room containing a Haughty Hermit and another Tunnel-Visioned Predator.

F3 is the baboon, F1 is the scorpion.

There's a proper way to solve this room, and that involves playing ring-around-the-rosie with the baboon around the solid tile on the left while not aggroing the scorpion.

But scorpions beware, 'cause he's after YOU!

Same.

Y'know, how do so many monsters keep falling for tricks like this without ever learning? Our show animals at least picked up on us doing the same thing over and over, eventually.
These monsters have no intelligence, souls, or anything of the like. They simply hunt each other for food, savoring the chance to feed on explorers when they can.
Um, Cecil... Ever think your grudge against monsters might be too...general? Or intense? Maybe both? I-I mean, stoic characters are fine, but--
NO.

gg ez makes crushing mobs seem such a breeze

This event triggers automatically.

Proceeding along the rocky trail, you notice that the passage before you is unnatrually littered with small rocks of various sizes. Looking around, you can only imagine that they fell from the cliffs to your sides. It might be dangerous to linger in that area for long. You can either run past it, or take your time and stroll through.
Let's just get outta here as soon as possible!
Afraid of getting hit by falling rocks, you dash through the passage!

Walking would mean we'd discover a Seven-Horned Kabuto Beetle, but I'd still need Animal Husbandry to actually catch it, and...no-one on this team has it. OOPS.

"Falling rocks

You successfully dashed through the narrow passage before any rocks could fall on you."

(Received 1 Walnut naturally, 1 Peanut from Alexis, and 2 Pineapple Smells from Cecil.)

10F, E3 Take Point
  • Cecidium: 45% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Hamao (Restores 100 HP and 25 TP to one party member).
  • Aromatic Moss: 45% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make Bravant (Increases one party member's attack by 40% for 6 turns).
  • Rainbow Fruit: 10% chance. Sells for 175 en.
    • 1 needed to make Fire/Ice/Volt Jar (Deals 110% ranged INT-based fire/ice/volt damage to one enemy; 90% speed modifier, 99 base accuracy).
  • Ambush Chance: 3%

Second-to-last puzzle of the floor.

F2 is a giraffe, F3 is a baboon.

Correct solution: let the baboon shove down the boulder with relative ease, and then give it the loop-de-loop around the top tile, while avoiding the giraffe.

My solution: kill the baboon.

I'm not showing the actual fights, but this party is scarily good at making FOEs cry out for mummy at this level.

Gram now fires in spurts.

Prayer: Eradication increases attack by 27% now.

You hear the sound of footsteps as a lone guard approaches you.

A-are you explorers? Oh thank goodness. I hate to admit it, but... I'm lost!
You sound shaken. Did something happen that led to you being here?
Well...you see...
Turning his face away in shame, the guard informs you that he had set out to explore the Labyrinth when he got lost. He had intended to make a map, but before he knew it he had no idea where he was.
I would chide you, but that's honestly no worse than us forgetting an Ariadne Thread. Here...
You then open up your own map and show the guard the way back to town.
Oooh, I get it. So I need to take a detour to get back to the stairs, huh?
Looking over the map, the guard confirms that he's understood your explanation with a confident nod.
You called yourselves Nameless, right? Thanks so much! You're lifesavers!
Ehehe, no problem!
He turns to leave before suddenly stopping, as if he just remembered something.
Oh, right, I almost forgot. I'd better give you something as thanks for helping me out.
As he says this, he rummages through his pack before taking out a small leather sack.
I found a cow in the Labyrinth, of all places! Here, have some of its milk; it's fresh, so drink it while it's good!

(Obtained Milk!)

The guard then leaves with the same quick pace he arrived. You pray that he makes it home safely before returning to your exploration.

Not an Adventure Episode!

This food point gives out Labyrinth Wheat.

By the way, if you couldn't guess, the encounters start getting pretty nasty by this point. We're really close to the stratum boss.

Proceeding throught the Labyrinth strewn with stone pillars, you come across a dead end. In it, you find a giant tree root sticking naked out of the cliff, as if the soil around it has been gouged away. Exhausted, Gram suggests taking a little break here. You can either sit on the tree root or hurry on.
I'm getting pretty beat, and Falz isn't much better. How about we take a quick break, mm?
My sword arms're getting tired...
I find it hard to object.
Perfect time to give YHVH another try...
Is that the same...game, I believe you called it, that Raven's been obsessing over?
Yup.
...Well, I'm sure something fun's hidden behind all of that incomprehensible script.
You make use of the natural rest stop.

The 2nd Stratum sure is generous with these healing points.

After catching your breath, you return to exploring.

Also not an Adventure Episode.

This final puzzle is so huge that it can't be drawn all at once. Map time!

F1s are Tunnel-Visioned Predators, F3 is a Haughty Hermit.

...Gonna be real honest with you here, I-

TO KNOW THE SOLUTION TO THIS PUZZLE YOU MUST GIVE UP THE SOLUTION TO THIS PUZZLE

I just beat the poo poo out of two of the FOEs and then sneak past the scorpion in the corner.

Navigating the cliffside trail, you come across a man sitting on a rock. You recognize him as the guard you gave directions to earlier, except now apparently drunk.
...How? What? The stairs are...
He notices you at the same time you notice him, and calls out to you cheerfully.

Heyyyyyy youuuuuu guuuuuyssss! What perfect timing! So I followed those directions you gave me but uh...no stairs?! What the hell?!
...This clearly isn't the place you directed him to, but you get the impression that he doesn't think it was his own fault. You can either carefully mark his map for him, or simply leave him alone.
...Look. Here. Here specifically. Go here.
You take the soldier's map and carefully draw a line from his current location to the stairs.
Oh yeah, I get it now. Yeah. Yeah. This place is like...a Labyrinth or something.
While he's talking, the guard pulls out a leather sack and begins to drink from it.
Right, right. Yeah. How about I give you this, as thanks for your great help!
He then pulls out another leather sack and hands it to you.

(Obtained Milk!)

O-KAYYYY. The power of belief will propel me to the stairs if I just believe.
And with that, the guard begins walking, his nose glued to the map.
...Is he gonna be okay?
Probably not. It's the Labyrinth. It's just another Tuesday when a guard goes missing.
Just like performers getting their heads eaten off by lions!
...?!
More than a little worried about him, you also return to exploring.

(Obtained 2000 en.)

(Obtained 1 Razorstone naturally, and 2 Razorstones from Alexis.)

10F, D5 Mine Point
  • Dolomite. 43% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Burial Urn (+39 ATK, +51 MATK, VIT Up 2, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Poisonous Pudding (Pop Pudding conditional) and 1 Dolomite needed to make Damper Shield (+19 DEF, +9 MDEF, +15% bash resistance).
  • Razorstone. 42% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make Namioyogi
    • 1 Huge Wristbone (Bounce Parrot conditional) and 1 Razorstone needed to make Mandau (+49 ATK, +49 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 Razorstones and 2 Pudding Cores (Pop Pudding normal) needed to make Slice Armor (+30 DEF, +20 MDEF).
  • Rozafern. 15% chance. Sells for 350 en.
    • 1 needed to make Luck Necklace (+15 TP, +12 LUC).
  • Ambush Chance: 5%

Sizable room ending in a solitary door near the center of the floor. Something tells me we're at the boss.

Upon setting foot in front of the door, you run into two explorers.

Oh, long time no see guys! It's pretty impressive that you've gotten this far!
The necromancer speaks with a carefree tone at odds with the danger of the Labyrinth.
Lily. How many times do I have to tell you that if you don't take this seriously that you're going to die?
So says the Reaper. The Necromancer named Lily and the Reaper named Soleil now both stand in your way. Apparently, they're in a party with each other.
Hm. A party of two? Impressive, although I question how far it can go.
Soleil nonchalantly takes a defensive position between you and Lily. Without making it clear whether she's noticed that or not, Lily speaks again in her carefree voice.
Oh! That's right, I haven't introduced you yet. Soleil here is my partner in our guild. Well, I say that, but it's just the two of us at all, so we have to work pretty hard!
Following up on the grinning Lily, the expressionless Soleil begins to speak.
Less guild, more I'm stuck with her. We've been traveling together since before--
I'm sure that story's interesting, but is now really a good time for it?
After saying that, the girl suddenly interrupts herself.
Blech, why the hell am I telling you this? Anyway, we're posted here to warn you about this floor. It's really dangerous past here this time. Though, personally, I don't think anyone gives a drat if you wanna become worm food--
Well, nuts to you too.
Lily chimes in to scold her for her cold words.
Um, excuse me, I do! I don't like it when people I know die!
The Reaper groans as Lily continues.
So, not to impose, but... Could I ask you guys to go back to town, if you want to go further?
Translation: You need the Council's permission to get in. "Won't let in rookies unless they bring cookies." So sayeth Lord Remus. You should do it--during work hours. I'm sure he'd enjoy them.
...Oh-kaaaaaay. Weird...metaphor? Is that a metaphor?
Let's just return to town.

If it isn't the Nameless bunch. It's been a while since you came by last. Your equipment seems quite a bit more effective than back then. To tell you the truth, it's nice seeing you improve like this. So, what brings you here?
That door and the two that're blocking it is what brings us here.
...Oh, I see. So that's it. Time does fly. It feels like just the other day you were new to exploring. So it's already time to discuss this... I believe this is cause for celebration on your part and the Council's.
Huh? Why is a violent monster cause for celebration?
Please allow me to explain. Here in Aeolis, we manage many explorers; those with sufficient skill are called Master class. Those who receive the title of Master are recognized as top-class explorers by the Council, and are provided instruction in new skills befitting their title. Missions to the 10th Floor are the Council's current means of determining worthiness to be called a Master. It's a test to ensure that only explorers who are truly capable will be able to proceed further.

...And I think you are ready to take this test. If you want to proceed deeper into the labyrinth, then, by all means, accept this mission and pass the test.

If, for some hosed up reason, you don't have at least one party member that's level 20, Remus will tell you go to train more before taking on the mission.

"The arrogant whelp Hippogriff

In order for the Council to recognize you as Masters, you'll need to defeat the magical beast known as the Hippogriff that awaits you at the end of the 2nd stratum."

Looks like you're determined to take the Mastery exam. In that case, here's what you'll need to do. To determine whether you're skilled enough to be called a Master, we would have you slay a monster called the Hippogriff, which makes its nest in the Crag Trail.
That much, we could infer.
It is said to be a proud beast, ferocious as a demon, possessing razor-sharp talons and beak, and able to fly freely through the sky. No doubt it will be a tough opponent, but once you've defeated it, your guild members will all be recognized as Masters. The Hippogriff inhabits the depths of the 10th floor and attacks any explorer who approaches. I'd like you to please approach this task cautiously, and make sure you're prepared.

I dunno what else to say that Remus didn't, honestly.

Next time: Hippogriff, our second boss. Take it to the fridge!

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 10, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Pre-Update 15: Hippogriff Overview

Hippogriff
HP: 6254
STR: 78
INT: 70
VIT: 53
WIS: 49
AGI: 57
LUC: 47
Skills:
  • Bind Claw: Uses the arms. Deals 90% melee STR-based cut damage to one row of party members. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 25% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Back Kick: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based bash damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Fury Gaze: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict panic on one party member, with an 80% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Lightning Dance: Uses the legs. Deals 2-4 instances of 80% ranged INT-based volt damage to random party members. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Sky Dive: Used at around 75%, 55%, and 35% HP. Uses the arms. Deals 115% melee STR-based cut damage to every party member. Reduces hit targets' physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Wing Shield: Used after Sky Dive. Does not use a body part. Reduces physical damage to Hippogriff by 50% for 3 turns. During this time, Hippogriff will only use Rest. Wing Shield can be cancelled early by dealing 500 total damage to Hippogriff since Wing Shield's start. Has a 20% speed modifier.
  • Rest: Uses the head. Heals Hippogriff for 500 HP. Has a 10% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Hellbeast's Wingfist. 100% chance. Sells for 1100 en.
    • 1 needed to make Griff Buster (+72 ATK, +55 MATK, Rest, Silver x4). Costs 5000 en, sells for 2000 en.
  • Conditional: Ephemeral Axebeak (Kill on turn 1). 100% chance. Sells for 9800 en.
    • 1 needed to make Answerer (+196 ATK, +176 MATK, Bind Claw, Gold x6). Costs 438000 en, sells for 175200 en.
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 125%
Disable Resistances:
50% 50% 50% 25% 50% 50% 50%
0% 10%
75% S 50% 50%

Hippogriff is a far simpler affair than Golem was. That doesn't mean it's easier, though--Hippogriff is still plenty capable of screwing up our party. It's arguably better at that than Golem, since it doesn't have to worry about having the necessary body parts to use its dangerous skills, and its deadly skills use both the arms and legs.

Bind Claw is pretty explicitly designed to screw up our front row, and getting *really* unlucky with it while using Sasha can, effectively, be a game over.

Back Kick's not really worth talking about.

Fury Gaze really loving sucks since that base chance is all but guaranteed when you factor in Hippogriff's LUC compared to most of our party members, and panic is really difficult to deal with, especially if a support gets hit with it.

Lightning Dance is very capable of ending a good attempt solely on its own, both between its damage and the paralysis.

Sky Dive hits as hard as Back Kick does, but hits the entire party and reduces phys damage. FUN.

Wing Shield and Rest are Hippogriff's primary gimmicks, and you need to have methods of dealing with them, or else the fight can become drat near unwinnable. Not canceling Wing Shield and Rest will mean that Hippogriff will heal 1500 HP over three turns--that's just shy of 25% of its HP. It's somewhat easy to counter it (INT-based damage dealers can hit that 500 damage requirement fairly easily and head binds stop Rest completely), mercifully.

With that in mind, onto party members:

Alexis: Alexis unfortunately isn't that great due to the fact that all of Hippogriff's attacks are multi-target. He can draw Lightning Dance to himself, yeah, but he'll likely die after drawing the second hit. On the upside, his normal attacks, Sylphid counterattacks, and Vision Thrust can all provide Chain hits. In addition, this is the one time that Wind Curtain can be useful, since I know when Sky Dive's going to come out, I know who's most in danger of being hit at any given time, and our metric boatload of Amritas means the TP cost is less of a problem than normal.

Iseria: With the proper elemental support, Iseria is a really good option for the fight, since any elemental damage source (even if it has phys components) goes through Wing Shield.

Sasha: Sasha's a good choice for basically every boss fight in the game, and Hippogriff is no exception.

Cecil: Cesti shine in single-target fights, and that's exactly what Hippogriff is. Both arm binds and leg binds (mostly leg binds) can take a lot of the difficulty out of the fight, and head binds mean Hippogriff becomes a sitting duck while we cancel Wing Shield.

Raven: Raven's nothing special for Hippogriff. Feeble Miasma makes other disablers' jobs easier, I suppose.

Kaelin: Elemental damage reigns supreme for Hippogriff due to how Wing Shield works, and it's also the first time Kaelin will really get to put Compression to good use. Our truckload of Amritas also means he's not in any danger of running out of TP before the fight's over. It also goes without saying, but he's also a good Iseria partner.

Lanzon: Poison is pretty decent for eating bits of Hippogriff's HP away, and...that's about it for Lanzon. He can make decent use of Volt Jars if Iseria is brought in, and the ghosts can possibly draw Bind Claw away from the party. If I decide to stick with the Megalith 5006, Barrier Wall can also mitigate some of the damage of Sky Dive.

Gram: Gram's nothing special. She deals ranged physical damage. Her attacks being stab means she can be an okay Iseria partner.

Jana: Jana's a good damage dealer on her own, but unfortunately can have issues when Wing Shield's out. She does bring a defense debuff (Armor Penetrate) to the table--and on top of that, Armor Penetrate's also stab damage, which means Chain hit potential.

Mio: Buffs mean everyone's damage goes farther, Prayer: Purple Lightning reduces Lightning Dance's damage, Oracle: Dance with the same amplifies Hippogriff's existing weakness to volt, and Mio can even equip bows, to be an Iseria partner.

Dosen: Dosen can patch up serious injuries (assuming someone wasn't just outright killed), and heal any paralysis from Lightning Dance. He can't do anything about binds on his own right now, though. Also: can equip bows, Iseria partner, you get the point.

Magda: Blind is okay since only Lightning Dance has higher-than-average base accuracy, Smoke Rot pairs incredibly well with any elemental damage (Iseria and Kaelin, namely), and, one last time, Magda can equip bows, and can provide Chain hits.

Vote for a maximum of three party members, with a maximum of one vote per character. No caveats otherwise.

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 10, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Sasha, Kaelin, Dosen

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Alexis, Iseria, Mio

I feel a deep-seated need for him to take a dodge tank.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 10, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Iseria, Mio, Magda

Let's see what Chain Fencers can do in a boss fight.

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.
Mio, Iseria, Kaelin

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

See, last turn, Lanzon used Barrier Wall, that phys damage reduction skill on his coffin. Now, on this turn, Sasha used Gun Mount after having used it last turn. As it turns out, Gun Mount does not only replicate the shield skill the user used last turn--it replicates ANY shield skill from ANY party member.

That's a pretty stupid and funny bug if you ask me, but its usefulness in a standard run is also pretty limited in scope. I only discovered it because Barrier Wall technically counts as a shield skill.

Good thing I don't do 'standard' runs. I am totally doing a 5-Dragoon party and seeing just how much I can abuse that, assuming it doesn't get fixed before it comes out here (and assuming that 5 Dragoons isn't as stupid as it probably is).

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Hoo-Ha now deals 127% damage on the initial hit, and has a 52% follow-up chance.

This made me laugh way harder than it should have. Anyway, I'll vote for Kaelin, Iseria, and Dosen.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ke0Rv5ww24

Dosen, Kaelin, Alexis

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Alexis

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Mio, Alexis, 1x Ragnar's Choice.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Iseria, Kaelin, Dosen

Joeaverage
Aug 1, 2014
Alexis, Iseria, Mio

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I quite enjoy that alcharagia's only apparent purpose in this LP is to MST3K it while it's happening.

shadowofshinra
Apr 12, 2014
Sasha, Cecil, Kaelin

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Sasha, Cecil, Kaelin

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Mio, Dosen, Jana

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Kaelin, Cecil, Magda

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alexis, Cecil, Gram

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed because I have nothing else to do today and want to start the fight ASAP.

quote:

Kaelin: 7
Alexis: 6
Iseria: 5
Mio: 5
Dosen: 5

Cecil: 4
Sasha: 3
Magda: 2
My choice: 1
Gram: 1
Jana: 1

A fragile party, but also one capable of easily dealing 1000+ damage per turn. :getin:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how much perfectly normal food there is in this crazy dungeon.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 15: Princess and Mage Make Technicolor Bird Cower in Fear (Nameless vs. Hippogriff)

A-are you sure this is safe?!
Who's the performer here?
B-but, I-I thought these usually had...trick boxes, I dunno!
What kinda fraud would use tricks for basic stuff like this?
You're at least not gonna use your katana for that, right?! Th-that one's rubber, right?!
Huh? What's the point of using a rubber sword?
I, uh, um... O-oh, right, I think everyone's ready to go fight H-Hippogriff!
...Oh, yeah, you guys were gonna do that. 'Kay, g'luck. We'll try this again once you get back, though!

In the interest of completionism, I'm going to paste Remus's 10F dialogue here, since I forgot to talk to him after taking the mission:

quote:

So, do you think you can handle the test for Mastery? The Hippogriff, that "bedamned demon of a beast" as I recall the Guildmaster called it once, has done in many an explorer- it's not an opponent to be made light of. I've heard tales that merely locking eyes with it can fill you with a sort of primal fear, inducing mass panic. Please do take the appropriate precautions, I really would rather you returned in one piece.

As soon as we enter the floor, an event happens.

Hey! You guys!
You hear the now-familiar sound of a guard's footsteps approaching, and turn to face him.

Thank goodness! I thought I'd never see you guys again!
He seems to expect a reply after this.
Um... Long time no see, I guess? Who is he?
Upon hearing your reply, the guard nods happily.
Thanks to your directions, I got to the stairs in one piece!
He then continues cheerfully.
I figured I should thank you for that if we ever ran into each other again.
As he says this, he pulls out a sheet of parchment and hands it to you.
Look, you know how I told you I found a dairy cow in the Labyrinth? I bet if you took that baby home you could get Milk whenever you wanted. Within reason, you understand.
The guard proceeds to explain how to get to where he found the cow.

So if you wanna catch the cow...
The guard pauses to take a breath.
You'd better bring someone who knows Animal Husbandry. Cows don't do well with being startled, believe you me. ...Oh, wait, I guess an explorer wouldn't really have a place to keep a cow...? Uh. ...I guess you could try asking someone to keep it for you? Then you could get your Milk.
That's not much of a problem for us.
What's one cow when Genetta already has all of those cats?
After seeing you nod in affirmation, the man disappears down the stairs with a smile.

"The lost guard and something about a cow

You successfully guided a guard back to town, and he told you about a cow!"

As you reenter the Labyrinth, a familiar pair of explorers stands in your way, just as before. Once she recognizes you, one of the girls calls out to you in a cheerful voice while waving a hand.

Hey! I heard you're taking the Council's test!
That we are.
As she says this, the Necromancer backs out of your way and gestures towards to your destination.
The Hippogriff's pretty tough, you know. One wrong step and you're worm food.
You already told those before us as much. Nothing a child couldn't infer.
With these cold words, the Reaper turns her back to you allows you to proceed.

All of what you just saw happened before I did some boss preparations--mostly grinding for materials to upgrade equipment.

Alexis's equipment here isn't actually truthful--I replaced his Luck Necklace with a pair of shoes, because certain crucial actions of his were getting outsped by Hippogriff.

Only other major change from prior to this fight is that Mio has a bow equipped now. I recycled her Ice Bat Fang.

Alexis's skill build got overhauled a bit. I exchanged some points in Race skills and one point in Sylphid for a maxed out Wind Curtain and level 9 Vision Thrust.

Iseria has maxed out Chain Shock (12 TP, 200% damage, max 5 chains per turn, -10% chance per hit), and put one point into Chain Boost, which gives her +5% damage for one turn for every activation of a Chain skill.

Kaelin ditched all of his points in Amplifier and his one point in Magic Shield for a level 9 Lightning (157% INT damage, 12 TP) and level 9 Incantation: Compression Form (2.06x damage, 10 TP).

Mio has 5 points in Oracle: Dance now (192% INT damage, 34% resistance decrease, 18 TP).

Dosen's most significant change is he has one more point into Cure Herb (270% healing power, 5 TP).

Putting the now extremely familiar stone pillars of this stratum behind you, you stop in front of the door when you suddenly feel a wave of intense bloodlust. Mostly likely, the Hippogriff is right on the other side! You should make sure you're ready to take on such a fearsome opponent. There's still time to go back to town if you're not confident in your preparations.
If you all are quite done hesitating, I have a bird to fry.

As you open the door and step through, you find yourself in an area enclosed by treacherous cliffs. As you endure the howling winds created by the narrow space, you look around for your target without success. However, the bloodlust continuing to pierce you like needles is all the proof you need of the demon beast's presence. You continue your search for the Hippogriff, weapons at ready.

For those of you somehow playing along at home: the Hippogriff fight starts once you step on this tile!

As you cautiously advance into the room, you suddenly hear a scream from above, like a knife cutting through the wind.

https://my.mixtape.moe/apwymh.webm

I'm going to break character here and say that I think this guy looks rad as hell. Look at this guy. This is a boss monster. gently caress yeah.

Like a cross between an eagle and a horse, the moment the beast notices you it point a razor sharp gaze in your direction.
What an absolutely tacky monster. Yellow-green, purple, red, and black? An atrocious color scheme.
What you find ugly, I find fascinating.
Is that really the best thing to focus on right now?!
It's too late to turn tail and run; your only choice is to defeat it. Gritting your teeth and clutching your respective weapons tightly, you prepare yourselves for a tough battle with the demon beast before you!

Great prestige awaits us, once we've put you in a well-deserved grave!

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Hippogriff :siren:

I'd make some comment about the troublesome fight coming ahead, but it'd be pointless in light of the update title. Everyone knows what's gonna happen.

These three use Defend, since Hippogriff always opens with Fury Gaze, and using Defend reduces a character's chance of being hit with disables.

Kaelin uses Incantation: Compression Form. Literally all he will do for the entire fight is Compression -> Lightning on repeat.

I question my usage of Compression, looking back--prior to level 10, and especially without High-Speed Incantation, Compression's not terribly worth it. Level 9 amounts to an effective 3% damage increase over just spamming the skill back-to-back.

And Mio uses Prayer: Eradication.

Let's see, who to pray to for luck against a giant bird...
Do you really need to "pray" to these fictional--
Ah, yeah, Sasuke, he fought a bird one time!
...Ugh.

You have no idea how many attempts just prompted an immediate reset because someone got hit by Fury Gaze.

Coward.

Are the stiff, twitching fingers part of your magic?
Yes. Now, shut up, you're distracting me.

Wind Curtain's expensive as gently caress, yeah, but it's my best option for ensuring that Iseria can live through attacks along with Alexis. I'm not terribly concerned about the back row, since EO's AI targeting system has a built-in bias towards the front row.

Iseria uses Chain Freeze to save TP--nah I'm loving with ya she's gonna be using Chain Shock.

Mio and Dosen use normal attacks to get Chain hits.

(You'd be forgiven for not being able to guess that due to how the UI animates when you quickly send inputs.)

(Wind Curtain.)

Now, when the beast begins to move, simply perform these steps...

Pretty sure that's not what Wind Curtain is supposed to represent.

Fun fact: that's the same UI effect used for Illusion Step (Survivalist Force Boost) in EO2U.

(Normal attack.)

Like so!

(Sylphid counter, followed by Chain Shock.)

So begins the Chain Train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzUHaRsxFzg

I don't think I hurt it much...

That matters not!

Endoloen's Malevolent Perturbation!
You just took that from one of the games that Guild TFKrew has.
And what if I did, hm?

You can see Chain Boost taking effect here, incidentally--Iseria has a 15% damage bonus in effect right now.

It can be a little hard to tell due to standard damage variance.

All it took was one turn to knock off that much of Hippogriff's HP.

Mio uses a Hamao on Alexis to restore his TP a little, since Alexis getting below 30 TP means no Wind Curtain, which means Bad Things for ensuring him and Iseria don't die.

(Bind Claw.)

Hippogriff is no match for a good supply of TP restoration and the fact that Alexis wears shoes.

I'm also no match for these things.

(My earlier attempts at this fight while Alexis was wearing his Luck Necklace resulted in Wind Curtain being outsped by anything Hippogriff does.)

Getting a Chain hit off that is just icing on the cake.

I have Mio cast Prayer: Purple Lightning, so she can cast Oracle: Dance later.

Bzzt.
Hmph. No praying to fictional characters?

(Sky Dive.)

...wait hold on what the gently caress did I seriously already trigger that

Ack, kaff... I-is this blood?! This wretched beast has made me bleed internally?! Oh, now you've done it!
Sure would appreciate fancy footwork lessons back here...

Kaelin was left at 2 HP there, and Mio and Dosen didn't fare much better.

Back in MY day, the squishies just died to this, full stop. And I LIKED it.

(Wing Guard.)

Oho, trying to keep yourself from bleeding? How interesting. I shall make you spill it all, nonetheless!
Calm down, jeez, you just got hit. We all get hit every now and then.

Alexis uses Vision Thrust on the off-chance that he blinds Hippogriff.

Mio uses Oracle: Dance to amplify volt damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyc-qh6Le3s

Hm! Quite a lot of solid muscle in these wings.

...Aw, crap, I was mistaken. Wing Guard doesn't check for element when deciding to reduce damage, it just checks if the attack is STR or INT-based. Oh well, Kaelin still exists.

No blind, drat.

Cease your useless cowering at once, and bleed!

Kaelin knocked Hippogriff out of Wing Guard, since we did over 500 damage after Lightning.

I have a feeling that we're going to immediately trigger another Sky Dive, so Alexis takes a break to restore his TP with an Amrita

Iseria uses a Hamao on Kaelin.

Dosen uses Aegis Shield in preparation for Sky Dive, and uses another Amrita on Alexis.

...I really hope this is actually Sky Dive, or else I'll have wasted something very powerful on nothing.

YES, GOOD, UNIRONICALLY.

ALL IS POINTLESS. YOU WILL BLEED!
Thank you for your scintillating contribution, Smugfried.
...I will admit, "Smugfried" deserves commendation.

I do the exact same stuff as the last Wing Guard turn.

...How did you get its eyes when those giant wing...fist...things are in the way?!
Sheer force of will! ...In reality, a lot of stretching and nimbleness.

BLEEEEEEEEEED!
I wonder if losing that much blood is actually making Kaelin lose it...

The fact that Hippogriff is blinded means I'll take my chances on leaving Alexis and Iseria unguarded for the upcoming Sky Dive.

2ez

Here's the last Wing Guard...

YES, BLEED! YOUR ELECTRIFIED BLOOD SUSTAINS ME!
In all seriousness, this Hippogriff is, bluntly, an idiot.
Why?
It's simply stood and cowered in front of us, instead of fleeing. It's had plenty of opportunities to!

And there goes the last Wing Guard.

You know Persona Q, that lovely Persona/EO crossover game? The final boss of that game has this gimmick called Gears of Time where on the first turn, he'll give all of your characters a random number of turns from like, 5-10, until they instantly die. His damage output is pretty meh other than that but it's a decent enough boss gimmick.

When I fought the final boss of Persona Q, I put him to sleep on the first turn. The AI never bothered using Gears of Time after having its first action skipped, so the final boss never bothered actually using its gimmick.

It's kind of like this, except instead of chumping it with one action, it's the sheer damage output causing the boss to cower in fear. I approve. EO5 is a good game.

Overwhelming damage tends to negate a lot of EO5 bosses.

(Defeated Hippogriff!)

BLOOD! SO MUCH GLORIOUS BLOOD! I SAID YOU WOULD REGRET MAKING ME BLEED!
Okay, I've had enough.

(Received 1 Hellbeast's Wingfist.)

D-Did you just...slap me? How uncouth.
What's "uncouth" is all the shouting you were doing about blood and bleeding.
Hmph. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Hehe... So Kaelin has a brutal side, huh? Hmm... Raven's adverse to violence, but maybe Cecil...
What are you whispering about and jotting down? ...Is that my n--
D-Don't look!

The Hippogriff, born of griffons, lets out one last high pitched wail before collapsing to the ground. You've successfully defeated the Hippogriff, as the Council requested. Your mission is complete. All that's left is to return to town and report your success.

Where's the fun in that? Let's go to the next stratum! I betcha it's gonna be very bright and cheery.

VIDEO: 3rd Stratum: Vanguard's Mortuary Intro

oh.

yesssssssssssssssssssss

The normal 3rd Stratum music's loving ace, by the way. The FM version...not so much.

I-I-Is that a giant skull in the tree...?
I... I believe it is.
That skull is of fictional dragon proportions...
How...how about we just find the Geomagnetic Pole and get out of here?

I immediately went back to the Council to turn the mission in.

Magnificent... You've really defeated that unearthly beast. Congratulations--the Council now officially recognizes you as Masters.
You should've been doing that from the beginning.
...I must admit, your rapid growth has come as somewhat of a surprise to me. Please take no offense, but when you arrived you seemed...what's the word...flaky. But, now that you're Masters, which is rare even here in Aeolis, I have full faith that you'll succeed in all you attempt. Allow me to present you your well-earned reward.

(Obtained 6000 en.)

Now, with the Hippogriff defeated, the path to the third stratum is open to you. This area is still largely uncharted, for only the handful able to call themselves Masters have earned the right to set foot there. And, according to their reports, the scars of the ancient war have twisted the Labyrinth there into something...unnatural.
"Unnatural" is an understatement.
I hope you'll be able to expand our understanding of it with your own reports. With that in mind, we are in fact offering you more than just an empty title. Please, ask the Guildmaster for details on what you may do now that you are Masters.

Eh, Edgar can wait.

So hey like I've heard word that you can't fish up ordinary fish in the 3rd stratum? Logic dictates that this means you can fish up eccentric fish instead! Pretty please with a crappie on top show Miss Genetta an eccentric fish if you catch one???
Wh... What is a "crappie?"
A type of fish. Why?
A-ah, no reason

Hey guys, I hear you reached the third stratum! Really, that's just amazing, really incredible of you guys. So what'd you find there? Anything that make you go, "Wow! I've never seen that before?" C'mon, let me take a look! Just a peek!!
We...haven't gathered anything yet.
C'mon, c'mon, I'll make weapons out of them! I'll make armor out of them! C'moooooon!!!

Oh, right, this thing.

Griff Buster (+72 ATK, +55 MATK, Rest, Silver x4) is made from 1 Hellbeast's Wingfist (Hippogriff normal). Costs 5000 en, sells for 2000 en.

Rest: Uses the arms. Restores the user's HP, based on a static value plus a percentage of their maximum HP. Has a 120% speed modifier at all levels.

Eh. I don't think Cesti really need to heal themselves all that often.

So you've made it to the 3rd Stratum, have you? Are you aware of its history? It's said to have been the main battlefield of a great war fought in ancient times. Even now, it's still scarred by the battles fought there.

Only bar patron is Hansuke.

We actually have three quests to do here.

#1: Request for never-before-seen ore:

Oh, you took that one? Thanks. The client happens to be in the bar right now, so you might as well just ask them for the details.

#2: Moving skeletons: fact or fiction?:

Oh, that one? Thanks. The client's in the bar right now, so why don't you ask them yourselves for the details?

And #3: Peddler Ceric:

That one's from Ceric again. Apparently he has some business in the Labyrinth and wants you to escort him. You can talk to him yourself for the details. Good luck.

I didn't talk to Ceric for the rest of the update. We'll see that next time.

Anyway, the quest patrons.

#1: Girl with a large book:

Girl: Hmm, so these stones are from the first stratum, which means they were mined from the...
Um.
Girl: Oh, hello! Sorry about that, I've been busy taking all these notes. So are you the explorers?! You took my request?! All right! Thank you! So do you have any ore mined from the third stratum? Could you please show me some? I'd love to see all the types, but even just one would be great! I wanna feel them, sketch them, and then record it all in this book here! And then, someday, head up there myself to collect them from the Labyrinth. I'm still a kid so there's no way I'm going right now, but when I grow up I'm definitely going! Oh, sorry. That has nothing to do with the request, does it? I'll be waiting here, so when you have the ore from the third stratum just come talk to me, okay?

We just gotta show her all of the things we can mine in the 3rd Stratum. Given that there's Mine points on 11F, that's easy.

#3: Thin Lunarian woman:

Woman: Geez, that girl never listens to a word I say... Oh? Excuse me, are you explorers?
That we are. I'm going to guess you're the woman that posted the request.
Woman: So you are? Then you took my request?! Thank you so much, I've been waiting here for you! I hope you don't mind me cutting right to the heart of matter? It's about my daughter. Lately she's been going around town getting into all sorts of mischief. Naturally I've tried scolding her, but while she makes a good show of saying sorry, the very next day she's always right back at it! But, well, she has a bit of a thing when it comes to ghosts and such. Especially skeletons. Even seeing a picture of one in a book is enough to get her hiding under her blankets. So I was looking through some old documents, and apparently there are actual, real life moving skeletons on the third stratum's 11th floor?
Th-there are?
Woman: I bet if I showed her a picture of one of those she'd be scared straight! Which is where you come in. I want you to register the skeleton monsters of the 11th floor into your Monstrous Codex. You can do it whenever you happen to be up there on other matters, but please, do this for me.

Edgar starts talking as soon as we enter.

Nameless, huh? I've already heard the news. Sounds like you've all been recognized as Masters. You know the idea, but Masters can be given titles. We call this an explorer's Second Name. A Second Name is a symbol of your skills--so, it also means you can learn new skills. Take a Fencer, for example.
We're listening.
A Master strutting around as an "Illusory Fencer" will be dodgier, faster, evasive, like an obnoxious little puppy you can't catch.
That most certainly sounds like me.
But, a Master who fancies themselves a "Thunderclap Swordsman" will learn new consecutive attacks, like the venom coming after a wasp's sting.
I'm...going to assume that's my style of approaching this job.
You can choose your Second Names depending on whatever you want- grab what sounds best, or keep your party balanced. It's your choice. Oh--and while the guild has predetermined Second Names, you can come up with your own names too. Dragon Slayer! Headhunter!! El Destructo!!! ...and other assorted nonsense. You can pick your skills, so you can pick your name. You're a big kid.
Is that it?
I'm done.

And, at last, we get access to specializations--or Second Names, if you want to use their fancy term. You're already familiar with these from the class updates, and Edgar just explained their gist, but just as a refresher: Second Names give access to an entire new page of skills, focused on one specific theme, and they also give small stat bonuses that are relevant to the specialization.

Let's talk to Remus before we mess with them.

Long ago, in ancient times, the Mad King marched his armies on the World Tree. His armies, and their opponents, gathered to halt his advance, are said to have met in the foothills of Yggdrasil. Both ally and enemy suffered heavy casualties, to the point where the land itself was forever twisted; by the scars of battle, and by the spirits of the dead, which still linger. Today, we have another name for the battlefield in which this conflict reached its peak; the Vanguard's Mortuary, or, more simply, the 3rd Stratum. It's a strange and horrifying place, with the lingering undead prowling its corridors. Masters you may be, but please do not underestimate its dangers. It might seem a bit oversaid at this point, but...please, be careful.

ANYWAY. Specializations. One more note about them: a character needs to be level 20 to set them. Once they're level 20, the top option on their Manage menu entry unlocks.

From there, you pick one of the two specializations. I already know which one I want for Alexis: he's our dodgetank, so he's going to become an Illusionary Fencer.

...Or...

I'm runnin' circles around ya!
A-Alexis?
Ya're like a car crash in slow motion. It's like I'm watchin' ya fly through a windshield!
D-Did the Hippogriff's gaze finally get to him?
It was a mercy killin', ya live in a...camper van!
I believe I've earned the right to do this!
...Ahem. Thank you. Some...unknown spirit possessed me, I suppose.

Yep, you can type in custom names. You have a limit of 15 characters for it--that's plenty to type out a lot of stuff in English, though.

Precision in personal descriptions is incredibly important!

These two aren't the only ones I've pre-planned specializations for. Our Herbalists have also been pre-decided.

...I suddenly feel an intense desire to perform terrible experiments.
What...kind of experiments?
...Horrible stuff involving baboons. Is this what happened to Alexis?

Dosen becomes a Deeply Compassionate Doctor.

In honor of The Dinogator's most sacred of techniques.

And Magda becomes an Innocent Poisoner.

arguable

The rest of the guild, though? Their specializations are up to the thread!

Next time: five characters take their newfound specializations for a spin on 11F.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Much like I mentioned at the end of the update, it's time to vote on specializations! And also their names.

For a quick refresher, here's what each spec does (I'd really recommend you just re-read the class updates though):

Dragoon
Adamantine Dragoon: Advanced shield skills; defense-oriented
Gunpowder Dragoon: Offense skills, new type of summon; offense-oriented

Cestus
Combo Boxer: Focus on binding punches and combos
Devastating Fistfighter: Focus on HP-manipulating skills

Reaper
Death-Bringing Reaper: Variety of new scythe skills; offense-oriented
Death-Warding Reaper: Support skills

Warlock
Master of the Six Ways: Access to cut, stab, and bash damage; also multi-hit
Ruler of Fire, Ice, and Lightning: Focus on fire/ice/volt damage; more TP-dependent

Necromancer
Spirit-Summoning Necromancer: Somewhat support-oriented
Spirit-Destroying Necromancer: Somewhat offense-oriented

Hound
Falcon-Accompanied Hound: Offense-oriented with Falz
Dog-Leading Hound: Support-oriented with Greg

Masurao
Four Heavens as One Masurao: Four katanas at once; multi-hit skills
Single Peerless Blade Masurao: One katana; crits

Shaman
Heaven's Wrath Shaman: Semi-offense oriented
Heaven's Love Shaman: Semi-defense oriented

So, yeah, just vote for whatever spec you want for each class. Try your best to avoid just defaulting to my own choice! Also, if you want, toss in a name for each spec--these might be hard to necessarily "vote" for, so we'll see how that turns out in the end. Note that these are just initial specs; they'll be rotated out on a regular basis!

For class names: since 15 characters might be a bit limiting in some instances, you're free to write out stuff in Japanese if what you want doesn't fit in English, but bear in mind that anything Japanese (especially anything using kanji) means you'll be subjecting Clarste to having to instruct me where to hunt and peck--and in the case of kanji, putting in each syllable.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
In order from top to bottom, 2-1-2-2-1-2-2-2. You should clearly name Cecil's specialization Banana Slammer and Mio's On-Deck Shipper. Other than this I have no feelings. I am helpful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In case anyone skimmed over it, I definitely recommend listening to the 3rd stratum music.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

When I first heard the 3rd Stratum theme I definitely didn't expect it to be a creepy graveyard. I originally thought it was gonna something like Stratum 2, dry and full of canyons (but with an orange sky backdrop or something) since it's kinda got that Western flick feel to it.

Let's see... Adamantine, Combo, Death-bringing, Fire/Ice/Lightning, Spirit-destroyer, Falcon, Four Swords, Heaven's Love. In favor of On-Deck Shipper for Mio.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd say Ruler of Fire, Ice and Lightning for our resident smuglord. Call it Heaven's Emperor (or something like that), because you know he'd name it that way.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Combo Boxer, Master of the Six Ways, Four Heavens as One and Heaven's Love. The only name I can think of right now is Professional Juggler for Jana.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

I'd say Ruler of Fire, Ice and Lightning for our resident smuglord. Call it Heaven's Emperor (or something like that), because you know he'd name it that way.

Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like that's possibly the most boring specialization in the game. All you're doing with it is exactly what you did with the basic skills, except using elemental spells with higher multipliers. Everything else is based around saving TP, except you only need to do that at all because your slightly better spells are also more expensive.

With that in mind, I'm gonna have to vote for Master of the Six Ways. You can still call it Heaven's Emperor if you like.

Edit: If you want an in-character reason, think of it as refusing to let the lesser classes have even some situations where they're better than him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 12, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Multistrike Form on the basic spells gives you more damage than Compression Form on the higher tier spells on average, though it's not as reliable as Compression Form. (You do lose out on Mag Attack Up and Common Magic, though.) So go with Master of the Six Ways. Also Gunpowder Dragoon, Combo Boxer, Death-Bringing Reaper, Spirit-Destroying Necromancer.

As for names, Harvester for the Reaper.

Edit: actually, Edgelord is better.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 12, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Death-Bringing Reaper named Edgelord
Combo Boxer named Dio
Single Peerless Blade Masurao named *sigh*

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Combo Boxer
Master of the Six Ways
Death-Bringing Reaper
Four Heavens as One

I'm not good with names, but Edgelord and On-Deck Shipper are great so I'm n-thing them. The rest I have no real opinion on.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Combo Boxer named Standing Proud is the one I needed to get out there

...but I also need Falcon-Accompanied Hound named just Captain Falcon.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Gunpowder Dragoon
Combo Boxer
Ragnar's Choice for the Reaper
Master of the Six Ways
Ragnar's choice for the Necromancer
Dog-Leading Hound
Four Heavens as One
Heaven's Love

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Of course the loving nerd has a shipping chart for her own party members. :v:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Spirit-destroying Necromancer for Lanzon named Spirit Boogaloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Gunpowder Dragoon with the name of Panzer

Combo Boxer called ORA ORA ORA

Death-Bringing the Edgelord

Master of the Six Ways

Spirit-Destroying Necromancer

Falcon-Accompanied Hound aka Captain Falcon

Four Heavens as One Masurao as For Swords!

Heaven's Love Shaman

• Locked thread