Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Samovar posted:

Their analysis seems very... well, lackluster. Little about cinematography, etc.

You probably want these dudes. Feel free to head to their thread if it gels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone remember which episode had the whole "bone-chilling IMDB keywords" bit? I was re-listening to Ghosts Can't Do It and they referenced it in that episode.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone remember which episode had the whole "bone-chilling IMDB keywords" bit? I was re-listening to Ghosts Can't Do It and they referenced it in that episode.

That came up during a discussion about tough-to-stomach movies right? Feels like maybe a mailbag where a goon wrote in saying he saw Visitor Q with his folks as a kid.

Edit: Yea, 20 minutes into the October "WHM Origins, ..." mailbag.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 9, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Samovar posted:

Well, I suppose the main problem I have with it is the guys doing impressions/references/putting on accents. It's very reminiscent of Family Guy, to me. Their analysis seems very... well, lackluster. Little about cinematography, etc.

As to what comedy I like... well, certainly not jokes based on quoting other media. It reminds me too much of my teenage years of people thinking they were funny by repeating something that was funny out of context.

I don't know if it makes it any better for you, but they're all improv guys and that's like 90% of improv comedy.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I loved Batman v Superman (doubly so the Ultimate Cut) but that episode did make me laugh. But I can understand if someone didn't care for it. A lot of critics, while do bring up some points that have merit and can be discussed, often had brain farts when it comes to critical interpretation. One, at the time, that I vividly remember is that critics complained they didn't know Lex Luthor's motivation despite him having a monologue about it for 5 minutes. But it was also in the parts of that review that boiled down to "Not my Lex Luthor" and other weird DC fanboy stuff.

Yeah, they had a whole lot of brain farts when it came to BvS.

WHM: "They don't even call Batman Batman in the movie!"
Perry: "Nobody cares about Clark Kent fighting the Batman!"

Even as someone who doesn't read comic books, I find the boy's hate for comic book movies strange. But I keep in mind that they have a Star Trek podcast so they're no saints. :colbert: (Unlike me, who is obviously pure masculine stud with no nerd hobbies posting on Something Awful dot Com.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Violator posted:

Yeah, they had a whole lot of brain farts when it came to BvS.

WHM: "They don't even call Batman Batman in the movie!"
Perry: "Nobody cares about Clark Kent fighting the Batman!"

Even as someone who doesn't read comic books, I find the boy's hate for comic book movies strange. But I keep in mind that they have a Star Trek podcast so they're no saints. :colbert: (Unlike me, who is obviously pure masculine stud with no nerd hobbies posting on Something Awful dot Com.)

They love comic book movies

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I'm almost entirely caught up on the Patreon podcasts and holy poo poo, the Nexus episode with the fanfic. I was laughing so hard I'm glad I was waiting at a red light. I legit put my hands to my mouth in horror at parts :magical:
Worth every penny, although I kind of want to make them read through an entire fanfic now on air

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They're comedians first and move critique second-ish(?). I dunno how much I'd get out of them talking about cinematography or color theory or what have you, and the only time they mention lighting is when they complain about it being too dark. If they cared to drop any technical stuff they found interesting in there, I wouldn't mind, but it's not why I listen to them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Deleter posted:

They're comedians first and move critique second-ish(?). I dunno how much I'd get out of them talking about cinematography or color theory or what have you, and the only time they mention lighting is when they complain about it being too dark. If they cared to drop any technical stuff they found interesting in there, I wouldn't mind, but it's not why I listen to them.

I love that there is a definite undercurrent of them having a deep, broad film knowledge which occasionally pokes its head through, but they prefer to just have fun and, mercifully, not talk about the cinematography of Congo.

e: If he thinks WHM sounds like Family Guy I hope he's never listened to How Did This Get Made

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

They have clearly defined comic personas and that's what they go with. They've described what they do as "cartoonish outrage" and clearly it works for them and not for the dude who thinks it's like Family Guy(?). The point is to attract a wider audience, to entertain that audience, and not to teach that audience. It also says nothing about their actual experience or level of film education.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Shirec posted:

I'm almost entirely caught up on the Patreon podcasts and holy poo poo, the Nexus episode with the fanfic. I was laughing so hard I'm glad I was waiting at a red light. I legit put my hands to my mouth in horror at parts :magical:
Worth every penny, although I kind of want to make them read through an entire fanfic now on air

It got me thinking, I kind of want a WHM/FPlus cross over for more fanfic reading because some of the stuff they manage to find is certainly magical.

weekly font posted:

I love that there is a definite undercurrent of them having a deep, broad film knowledge which occasionally pokes its head through, but they prefer to just have fun and, mercifully, not talk about the cinematography of Congo.

e: If he thinks WHM sounds like Family Guy I hope he's never listened to How Did This Get Made

Yeah, didn't some of them actually major in film? I'm sure if they had to, they could get into the cinematography of Congo, they just know like five people would listen to it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They love comic book movies

I meant comic book movies that I personally like. Those are obviously the best ones!

Yeah, the balance of their technical knowledge and history of movies combined with the comedy is what drew me to the show and kept me a fan. Their adverts for their Halloween shows are burned into my memory so I know Andrew works at the Jacob Burns Film Center (whatever that is) so he works with movies at what I'm guessing is literally an art house theater, but the other guys obviously really know their stuff as well. They'll pull references and actor bios that I have no knowledge of pretty often but work in jokes that are funny even without knowing the full backstory. There's layers for different types of movies fans, just like BvS having layers of DC history for different types of comic fans! Yes! It all comes full circle! WHM is the BvS of podcasts!

Edit: I really need to get back to work, but obviously:
Batman - Andrew
Superman - Eric
Wonder Woman - Cabin
Lois Lane - Stephen

It's all too perfect. It's been staring us all in the face this whole time. We're the collateral beauty now, boys.

Violator fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 9, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've changed my mind, I'm calling in Ocean's Twelve. It's not that it's a "bad" movie, though it arguably very much is, but it's also very entertaining and full of bizarre bullshit that feels like you're watching Ocean's Eleven at the peak of a Robitussin overdose. It's the Infinite Jest of bad movies.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have no idea how you can listen to an episode and come to the conclusion that this is an actual film criticism podcast. They use movies as a jumping of point for jokes and impressions. They do little to no actual criticism on the show outside of stating their opinions on the movie.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

duz posted:

It got me thinking, I kind of want a WHM/FPlus cross over for more fanfic reading because some of the stuff they manage to find is certainly magical.

that would be a crossover for just the two of us buddy, but I wouldn't mind the WHM crew reading some more strange Star Trek slashfic

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's kinda harder to dissect cinematography in an audio format too

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

You probably want these dudes. Feel free to head to their thread if it gels.
From now on just quote the dissenters and post "how about getting hosed?"

(just checked out that podcast you linked, and I kinda like it, so thank you very much)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Promo code GETTINGFUCKED

e: Where the gently caress is my new BIOOS episode.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its okay to hate a podcast

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Is Dirty Grandpa a real movie? Or are they going to troll everyone by discussing The Greasy Strangler, a horrifically gross and nasty movie I got peer pressured into seeing at a film festival, tried to forget, and then cringed every time WHM mentioned showing it? 'Cause Dirty Grandpa is a good title for it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Count Chocula posted:

Is Dirty Grandpa a real movie? Or are they going to troll everyone by discussing The Greasy Strangler, a horrifically gross and nasty movie I got peer pressured into seeing at a film festival, tried to forget, and then cringed every time WHM mentioned showing it? 'Cause Dirty Grandpa is a good title for it.

Oh, it was real.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I haven't seen The Greasy Strangler yet, but I am glad someone is still making early John Waters movies

If there's one thing last year taught me, it's that squares still need to be freaked the gently caress out

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I haven't seen The Greasy Strangler yet, but I am glad someone is still making early John Waters movies

If there's one thing last year taught me, it's that squares still need to be freaked the gently caress out

I saw it at the closing night of a horror film festival, and I think I was the only one grossed out. The crowd loved it. There's an extended hot dog bit that reminded me of WHM, but as a whole its like if Tim & Eric made a disgusting, amoral, filthy, greasy grossout movie. And every time I tried to forget it the guys would plug it.

On an unrelated note, both Santa Claus 3 and Collateral Beauty can be part of the Pier Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality cinematic universe.

The latter movie opens here in 2 days. I may sit through it for the air conditioning.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

precision posted:

I've changed my mind, I'm calling in Ocean's Twelve. It's not that it's a "bad" movie, though it arguably very much is, but it's also very entertaining and full of bizarre bullshit that feels like you're watching Ocean's Eleven at the peak of a Robitussin overdose. It's the Infinite Jest of bad movies.

As discussed above, the WHM guys have a deep knowledge of film. They're not going to call a Steven Soderbergh movie 'bad' because it gets a bit meta. I hate people who call anything less realistic than a Christopher Nolan movie 'bad', and WHM are too smart for that.

Check this site for more good, weird movie crit: http://366weirdmovies.com/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

e X posted:

They do little to no actual criticism on the show outside of stating their opinions on the movie.
That's a pretty standard part of criticism. In my opinion.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cinematography isn't funny. That's why there are no podcasts about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Count Chocula posted:

As discussed above, the WHM guys have a deep knowledge of film. They're not going to call a Steven Soderbergh movie 'bad' because it gets a bit meta. I hate people who call anything less realistic than a Christopher Nolan movie 'bad', and WHM are too smart for that.

Check this site for more good, weird movie crit: http://366weirdmovies.com/

you're not wrong that there's nothing wrong with meta stuff inherently but I'm also positive twelve is the one where Julia Roberts had to impersonate Julia Roberts for a very prolonged scene so gonna have to disagree that this was just 'gets a bit meta'.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I mean that's just one scene. Even mainstream authors like Stephen King shred the fourth wall. I just can't imagine them pretending Ocean's 12 is bad because it gets a bit playful. I like the odd We Love Movies ep but 12 isn't secretly good or bad, it's just a fun bit of De Palma-lite.

Didn't they briefly talk about how well Collateral Beauty was shot, and mention the cinematographer's credits? They usually talk about how good a movie looks, like Hollow Man.

I Don't Even Own A Television gave WHM a shoutout in the latest episode. They need to team up, do a bad book adaptation!

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 10, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ugh. Ads and plugs after the intro. Ads in the middle of the episode. Did they switch podcast networks or something?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
They just need to pay the bills. The ads never bother me because they're like 2 minutes tops and the guys use them to riff anyway. This isn't anywhere on the level of How Did This Get Made.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

enigmahfc posted:

They just need to pay the bills. The ads never bother me because they're like 2 minutes tops and the guys use them to riff anyway. This isn't anywhere on the level of How Did This Get Made.

I was bummed out by it, but at least they're not shilling for Draft Kings anymore, those ads really bothered me. Honestly the thing that bums me out is that I recently used them not having interstitial ads as a selling point when recommending WHM to a friend.

I just hope it's not on the Patreon content, I don't need Worf talking about his Lootcrate.

Actually, you know, I'd like the ads way more if it was all in the TNG characters impressions, so I guess I'm just a hypocrite

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised this episode wasn't another "We Hate Movies After Dark". I haven't been this grossed out by an episode since Eight Crazy Nights.

Speaking of which, now I kinda want to call in that Adam Sandler movie "That's My Boy", which hits most of the lovely non-comedy beats Dirty Grandpa does. There's even a race to stop a wedding set to a 90's pop-rock song!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

They just need to pay the bills.

Then they should probably do a Patreon or something. I'd wager they could get over $7,000 a month from something like that. I don't mind the ads themselves, it's just jarring that we're getting them mid-episode now. It will take some getting used to. Except Loot Crate, they represent everything I despise about nerd culture, but I can't blame the fine folks at We Hate Movies for that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you're picking an Ocean's [Number] movie, isn't 13 the one to go with? That is the worst of the 3 isn't it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm surprised this episode wasn't another "We Hate Movies After Dark". I haven't been this grossed out by an episode since Eight Crazy Nights.

I haven't listened to Eight Crazy Nights, but I haven't laughed so hard at work in a while.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Then they should probably do a Patreon or something. I'd wager they could get over $7,000 a month from something like that. I don't mind the ads themselves, it's just jarring that we're getting them mid-episode now. It will take some getting used to. Except Loot Crate, they represent everything I despise about nerd culture, but I can't blame the fine folks at We Hate Movies for that.

https://www.patreon.com/wehatemovies

drat dog you're spot on!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I didn't so much mind the Lootcrate ad so much as it just came out of nowhere. If it wasn't edited in as if it was a natural part of the conversation I don't think it would have come off as so jarring.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

I didn't so much mind the Lootcrate ad so much as it just came out of nowhere. If it wasn't edited in as if it was a natural part of the conversation I don't think it would have come off as so jarring.

Still better than How Did This Get Made's ads that often cut mid-Mantzoukas to Paul yelling about how awesome the sponsor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, now I kinda want to call in that Adam Sandler movie "That's My Boy", which hits most of the lovely non-comedy beats Dirty Grandpa does. There's even a race to stop a wedding set to a 90's pop-rock song!

Hey isn't it loving awesome that Adam Sandler got molested as a kid? Isn't he such a cool dude for having that happen to him?