Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

You'll be the first to have Fedora 2.0

Second, no prizes for second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

A whoopee-cap (which is what Jughead wears in the comics) is traditionally made from a fedora.

trap sprung

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Any recommendations for a show that feels like Leverage, meaning episode sized chunks that are semi-serious yet feel-good?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Burn Notice?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Kraps posted:

Any recommendations for a show that feels like Leverage, meaning episode sized chunks that are semi-serious yet feel-good?

The Librarians has the same show runner and a few leftover cast members

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Calling anything about The Librarians as serious is a serious overstatement.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Kraps posted:

Lucifer and iZombie.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010

Kraps posted:

Hustle was basically the original Leverage and fits that description very well

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kraps posted:

Burn Notice, Royal Pains, The Closer, Franklin & Bash.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kraps posted:

Awake

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basically anything put out by USA, TBS, or TNT since they all followed the same basic formula from Monk to Suits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Good call on Burn Notice.

Life is pretty decent, but occasionally dark. It's got some of the most implausible/blatantly unrealistic crime scenes in any procedural. But it has Damien Lewis, Sarah Shahi, and in the third and final season, Donal Logue.

Edit: I didn't keep up with it, but White Collar should fit the bill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Life was one of the best shows of the last decade. I'm still pissy about that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Life was one of the best shows of the last decade. I'm still pissy about that.

It was kind if hit or miss. I really liked the characters, and the overall arcs were really solid, as well as some of the character bits involved in the procedural cases. But it also had some just loving ridiculous bullshit in terms of trying to outdo CSI with wacky "what the hell happened here" crime scenes. I feel like that kind of poo poo really undermined the show.

Its definitely worth a watch. It's 3 seasons, less than 60 episodes total. Great cast.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

It was kind if hit or miss. I really liked the characters, and the overall arcs were really solid, as well as some of the character bits involved in the procedural cases. But it also had some just loving ridiculous bullshit in terms of trying to outdo CSI with wacky "what the hell happened here" crime scenes. I feel like that kind of poo poo really undermined the show.

See, that's the thing: when you talk about Life you can't look at the crime of the week in a literal fashion. All the murder scenes in that show were staged to be aesthetically and philosophically interesting, realism be damned, in order to reflect the unique world Charlie Crews lived in.* That's why scenes with Crews screaming lines like "DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TOUCH DEATH" while carrying a gun in one hand and an Incan death flag in the other worked so well: because those weird, convoluted murder scenes set the stage for the show in general each week.

(*Insert a pre-emptive "shut the gently caress up about the Prince of Persia episode" here, that was just a poo poo idea in general. Everybody has them.)

Life was a true character-based procedural, in that everything about it, right down to the weekly mysteries, molded itself around the lead character and not the other way around. In fact, I think that's why I like Lucifer so much: it's the only other show that I've seen pull something like that off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Life was just so good in so many ways. Charlie's inability to furnish his house was wonderful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm watching Goliath and I have to say that it's really goddamn good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I'm watching Goliath and I have to say that it's really goddamn good.

Yeah. I love it and hope they do another season.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

GreenNight posted:

Burn Notice?

DarklyDreaming posted:

The Librarians has the same show runner and a few leftover cast members

Pan Dulce posted:

Lucifer and iZombie.

Saphire_flames posted:

Hustle was basically the original Leverage and fits that description very well

Timby posted:

Burn Notice, Royal Pains, The Closer, Franklin & Bash.

Snak posted:

Good call on Burn Notice.

Life is pretty decent, but occasionally dark. It's got some of the most implausible/blatantly unrealistic crime scenes in any procedural. But it has Damien Lewis, Sarah Shahi, and in the third and final season, Donal Logue.

Edit: I didn't keep up with it, but White Collar should fit the bill.

Thanks all!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Snak posted:

Its definitely worth a watch. It's 3 seasons, less than 60 episodes total. Great cast.

Where are people seeing a third season of Life? I only remembered two, and I can't find mention of a third anywhere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
General forgetful/Snakness I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm dumb. I misremembered because season 2 is twice as long as season one I was thinking of it as two seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

General forgetful/Snakness I guess.

Between the two of us, we're a half-wit!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does Hannibal remain a consistently good show? I remember people being pretty into it when it first came out, but I haven't really heard a lot as it went on. Does it drop off in quality as it goes along or stay strong?

Edit: Also, seeing as it was canceled, does the final season end properly without stupid cliffhangers or anything?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LibbyM posted:

Does Hannibal remain a consistently good show?

Oy, that's a can of worms and no mistake. I bailed in season 3 because it just wasn't to my tastes anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 3 is Hannibal at its most pretentious and I love it. The ending feels earned too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hannibal only gets better imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not a huge fan of the back half of season 2, other than the amazing finale, and I found a central guest performance by Richard Armitage (occasionally) unintentionally hilarious in the third season, but otherwise I thought it was loving great.

The show ends well, so there's nothing to worry about there. And there's a fourth season planned as soon as Amazon loses their exclusive rights to produce the show (so around August this year, apparently).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The ending feels earned too.

One of the best endings in a tv series.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 1 and 2 of Hannibal are fantastic. Three is basically two split in half, the first half is really aimless and pretentious but has a strong ending and the second half is suffers from covering ground that is very well-trodden by the movies but is still good and has a satisfying ending.

Hannibal kind of ties into the earlier discussion about knee-jerk dislike of procedurals, because the first two are much more procedural with an overarching plot and are much stronger for it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

And there's a fourth season planned as soon as Amazon loses their exclusive rights to produce the show (so around August this year, apparently).

I thought that the show died because Fuller wanted to move on to American Gods and declined to offer to start production on four? Either way, it feels like it ended at a good spot so I'm not too broken up about it being dead.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The first half of season three of Hannibal is the low point but the second half is really good. My favorite description of the first half of season 3 is that while it's pretty poor overall, Larry Fishburne still shows up to throw a fool through some plate glass so its totally worth watching.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

I thought that the show died because Fuller wanted to move on to American Gods and declined to offer to start production on four? Either way, it feels like it ended at a good spot so I'm not too broken up about it being dead.

Actually, I think you may be right.

Fuller's also sitting on an adaptation for Amazing Stories, though I'm honestly not sure that's coming anymore. He's no JJ Abrams, that's for sure.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think Laurence Fishburne's performance when his wife dies in Hannibal might actually be the best bit of acting he's ever done. It helps that Gina Torres is his real life wife though. That must have been a real loving intense shoot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

And there's a fourth season planned as soon as Amazon loses their exclusive rights to produce the show (so around August this year, apparently).

Uh, what? Amazon doesn't have any production rights on the show. They were interested in producing a fourth season when NBC dropped the ax, but they insisted that it go into production almost immediately, which Fuller refused to do (he insisted on having a full season's worth of scripts written before they'd start filming, as he did with the previous three seasons).

Amazon has the exclusive streaming rights, which is what you might have been thinking of.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I just read that Hugh Dancy said that the show might return in a couple of years instead. I wouldn't mind that.

http://tvline.com/2017/01/09/hannibal-season-4-hugh-dancy-silence-of-the-lambs/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mads is doing like 20 Disney movies a year though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh where the hell did this come from: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/09/heres-the-creepy-first-teaser-for-hulus-the-handmaids-tale

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

And the new Hideo Kojima movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Hi. Sell me on the Get Down, it's the one show I hadn't heard of from the Top Ten thread that really stood out to me from the glimpses I saw there.

Do you like good music? Do you like watching a show showcasing a culture/scene you've never seen before? Would you like to see some of the best artist making art scenes ever put on TV? Do you have a tolerance for some rough sub-plots? Then you'll love the Get Down.

Never managed to make a list for the Top Ten, but I'm gonna guess the Detour and Animal Kingdom (and Erased, why not) never made it on there. Kevin Reilly has been killing it on TBS/TNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm both annoyed that he's doing these roles that don't ask much of him, and happy the dude is getting paid.

• Locked thread