Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey isn't it loving awesome that Adam Sandler got molested as a kid? Isn't he such a cool dude for having that happen to him?
He also gets to hang out with Vanilla Ice! Isn't that cool?

I'd also like to point out that the movie (made in 2012) ends with a "Wazzzaaaaap!" gag, which was from an ad campaign that ended in 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ugh. Ads and plugs after the intro. Ads in the middle of the episode. Did they switch podcast networks or something?

Ads in the middle of podcasts pay more than ones at the beginning or end precisely because they're harder to skip. I wouldn't be surprised if winning AV Club's best podcast award got them a bunch of attention from advertisers and they figured poo poo yeah, more money.

Can't say I blame them but I did give a little eeeeeewwww when it happened, especially since it happened right after they already did so well becoming listener-supported on Patreon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean I don't really care about ads, I honestly don't, but if I were getting anywhere near $7K/month on my Patreon, I wouldn't do ads. Or I would do an ad-free version that you can listen to on the Patreon page specifically.

$7K/month split four (five?) ways is actually not too far from what we're getting now if you break it up into "per person", and we don't do ads currently. But it's their choice and it's not too intrusive.

But you still shouldn't make your Patreon listeners hear them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I understand the reason for the ads, as they are part of a network now that not only pays them, but is also probably the reason why they've had so many live shows and exposure recently but God please don't put in mid roll ads, they are garbage

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd drop by since there's a lot of misconceptions about advertising going on all over The Net... I'm calling it WHM Adgate 2017.

We've barely had much in the way of ads in our 6 years on the air and yes, we got some ads booked now and I'm a bit dismayed that our audience is upset over this. I think if you compare our ad placement in Dirty Grandpa with other podcasts (even within this ‘bad movie’ subgenre), you’d find it now the industry standard.

This is what advertisers want and we resisted it for a long time, to the point of probably losing advertisers. Keep in mind, we also would have gotten a lot of complaints about having 5+ minutes of ads at the top of the show. You can see our Space Jam episode for evidence of this. At a certain point, things can't only be top loaded.

We actually don’t make all the profit of an ad. A percentage goes to the ad agency who booked it and/or a huge percentage of it goes to our podcast network. This actually helps keep people employed. Sideshow Network just closed. Real people are out of work right now due to well, our lack of ads, I guess.

Patreon funds are split so many ways and go towards so many different things. That money is largely going to overhead, equipment, and travel costs to tour (we pay to tour, pay for hotels, pay for airline tickets, pay for everything to make that happen.) We get a lot less help than you might imagine which is why we're signing with a new podcast network now that our old one has closed due to a lack of business. Just an FYI: I personally book 90% of live shows by cold calling venues.

Everyone on WHM still works 40-50 hour weeks on regular jobs that aren’t glamorous TV acting or writing credits. It seems to me that folks give leeway to every celebrity with a podcast but decide to poo poo on “regular guys” attempting to monetize. I'd like to keep on doing podcasts but the reality is I cannot do them for free forever. If this is destined to be a hobby, that's fine, but I will try out other hobbies instead for a while.

I wish things were run a bit differently but this is what it is right now. If we have ads booked, we have to do them. We do not book our own ads. Keep in mind we are sometimes contractually obligated to include ads because it's how podcast networks are funded and just a reality of the business at this time.

Patreon will never have ads and I thank you all who have supported it. Our archives will never be put behind a paywall. We're not trying to cheat you here. If you're not feeling hearing us riff on an add, hit that fast forward button.

Thank you all for listening and I do apologize if you didn't like the ads today. I will do my best to represent your wishes expressed here.

Eric

P.S.
RIP Blame It On Outer Space 2012-2016.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's honestly fine. No matter how meshed into or in the middle of a podcast it is I always take pride in my ability to never hear more than a millisecond of an ad. So it's not really a big deal. I just drop that fast forward napalm the second I get a hint

Don't sweat it. No bigg-

BlameSpacePod posted:

P.S.

At least do a final Jesse Ventura send off ep

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's honestly fine. No matter how meshed into or in the middle of a podcast it is I always take pride in my ability to never hear more than a millisecond of an ad. So it's not really a big deal. I just drop that fast forward napalm the second I get a hint

Don't sweat it. No bigg-

At least do a final Jesse Ventura send off ep

For a millisecond I thought that .gif was from The Flaming Butthole Family Reunion and thought "well that's a deep cut".

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

That's for this Eric. I did find the midrolls annoying but I get it. This podcast is a big part of your lives now and you have to make a living. I love the show and will continue to support it. Thank you for the work the four of you do. These days, I need the kind of humor you guys offer.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Thanks for the support guys, I really mean it.

In the future if things go better and better, maybe we can get into a position to be ad free. I'd love to. Until then, thanks for bearing with us.

Hit me up on Twitter with any other questions. Thanks again. YOU'RE MY ROCK.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ads have never bothered me, I know that doing things costs money, so I expect that generating money to support said things would be a given.

Also:

BlameSpacePod posted:

P.S.

:smith:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Oooh when will we know what network you're signing on with?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BlameSpacePod posted:

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd drop by since there's a lot of misconceptions about advertising going on all over The Net... I'm calling it WHM Adgate 2017.

We've barely had much in the way of ads in our 6 years on the air and yes, we got some ads booked now and I'm a bit dismayed that our audience is upset over this. I think if you compare our ad placement in Dirty Grandpa with other podcasts (even within this ‘bad movie’ subgenre), you’d find it now the industry standard.

This is what advertisers want and we resisted it for a long time, to the point of probably losing advertisers. Keep in mind, we also would have gotten a lot of complaints about having 5+ minutes of ads at the top of the show. You can see our Space Jam episode for evidence of this. At a certain point, things can't only be top loaded.

We actually don’t make all the profit of an ad. A percentage goes to the ad agency who booked it and/or a huge percentage of it goes to our podcast network. This actually helps keep people employed. Sideshow Network just closed. Real people are out of work right now due to well, our lack of ads, I guess.

Patreon funds are split so many ways and go towards so many different things. That money is largely going to overhead, equipment, and travel costs to tour (we pay to tour, pay for hotels, pay for airline tickets, pay for everything to make that happen.) We get a lot less help than you might imagine which is why we're signing with a new podcast network now that our old one has closed due to a lack of business. Just an FYI: I personally book 90% of live shows by cold calling venues.

Everyone on WHM still works 40-50 hour weeks on regular jobs that aren’t glamorous TV acting or writing credits. It seems to me that folks give leeway to every celebrity with a podcast but decide to poo poo on “regular guys” attempting to monetize. I'd like to keep on doing podcasts but the reality is I cannot do them for free forever. If this is destined to be a hobby, that's fine, but I will try out other hobbies instead for a while.

I wish things were run a bit differently but this is what it is right now. If we have ads booked, we have to do them. We do not book our own ads. Keep in mind we are sometimes contractually obligated to include ads because it's how podcast networks are funded and just a reality of the business at this time.

Patreon will never have ads and I thank you all who have supported it. Our archives will never be put behind a paywall. We're not trying to cheat you here. If you're not feeling hearing us riff on an add, hit that fast forward button.

Thank you all for listening and I do apologize if you didn't like the ads today. I will do my best to represent your wishes expressed here.

Eric

P.S.

You're good people, WHM.

Except that Martin Cinemax fellow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some folks are just enormous whiners. WHM has given me hours and hours of free entertainment, so I'll gladly listen to them plug whatever crate or mattress or food delivery service pays them.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BlameSpacePod posted:

Yikes, that sucks. It sounds like you guys got really hosed by sideshow.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Keep in mind that people who don't mind/don't give a poo poo aren't the most vocal people on the Internet. Ignore the sentiments of the Kenny G's in the world, but do share their ramblings because holy poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Kenny G was known for smooth and relaxing white people jazz

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought Kenny G was known for smooth and relaxing white people jazz

Yeah, he's a modern day pied piper

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, I only said anything because I'm also working a lovely job 40-50 hours a week (often more like 60) and also a person doing several podcasts, as well as music and photography, and trying to monetize that so either me or my wife can work less.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

precision posted:

I mean, I only said anything because I'm also working a lovely job 40-50 hours a week (often more like 60) and also a person doing several podcasts, as well as music and photography, and trying to monetize that so either me or my wife can work less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0YPXb49q0

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I really appreciate the honesty in explaining the reasons behind the ads, I was a bit salty, but I was honestly being really selfish, seeing how I've been getting hundreds of hours of entertainment out of the podcast, basically for free, and how you guys are the ones who actually have put in the effort to keep a pretty incredible standard of quality comedy.

Fun fact, at the current exchange rate, it's just over thirty shekels a month to be able to listen to The Nexus, it's a bargain in my book, seeing how it's cheaper than a movie ticket and I don't have to pay for movie theater popcorn

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kalensc posted:

That came up during a discussion about tough-to-stomach movies right? Feels like maybe a mailbag where a goon wrote in saying he saw Visitor Q with his folks as a kid.

Edit: Yea, 20 minutes into the October "WHM Origins, ..." mailbag.
Yeah that was me but I wasn't a kid I was sixtee-
Never mind I'm starting to realize watching Gaspar noe and takashi miike as a teenager was prob bad and is why im a goon
Did your parents make you watch anti christ as a 14 year old and that's why you're now an active poster on /thedonald? Join in my class action lawsuit

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Meat posted:

I don't have to pay for movie theater popcorn

Invest in some Flavacol and coconut oil, and you can make it at home!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Indeed. I also mourn the loss of Blame it On Outer Space, more people need to be making fun of Alex Jones level stuff. Too many of my old friends have mutated into alt-Righters and it's like being the last person in the old folks' home to get Alzheimer's.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Midroll ads? Ehh, I don't like those but if they're worked in naturally maybe they won't be so bad. I didn't even know they were there because I haven't listened to the new episode yet.

(BTW, Eric, I know it's a very long shot but I'd love it if you guys could consider coming out to New Zealand. I know it probably won't ever happen, but maybe as part of a tour with Australia? That's what other groups do. It might be worth a thought).

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Eric. I - and probably a lot of people in this thread - didn't realise how the Patreon is split and that your network might make deals that you have no say in. I understand that you have to do stuff to keep money coming into other parts of the business that you don't have control over. Midroll ads are not very fun but I can live with them.

Keep up the good work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks for the transparency, Eric. It's honestly appreciated. Also that sucks that Sideshow went under and everyone there is out of work. :(

I think it's just very easy for us to forget that even something like a podcast has operating overhead in time and money. You just think of it as a bunch of people sitting around in front of a microphone bullshitting about movies, how expensive could that be?

Like I said, I didn't mind the ad, but it might be worth putting in a "now we need to pay the bills" bumper or something. It was just really jarring to hear you guys suddenly start talking about mattresses out of nowhere like it was just a natural part of the conversation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BlameSpacePod posted:

P.S.
gently caress :negative:

Thanks for taking the time to fill us in though, Eric. I honestly didn't mind the ads that much, and as long as you guys have a way to keep doing the great work you're doing, I'm down for it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Sorry to say I turned off the episode on Bad Grandpa. It might have been my mood but I would also say 103 minutes on a failed comedy is too long. I said it before - and got dumped on for it - but I don't think bad (misjudged) comedies work as a subject. The best reaction to bad comedy is disbelief, ridicule and anger. That is fine in small doses but I don't think - even with digressions - it can sustain an episode let alone 103 minutes.

Not longer than Star Wars but god it almost felt it. :(

Violator
May 15, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like I said, I didn't mind the ad, but it might be worth putting in a "now we need to pay the bills" bumper or something. It was just really jarring to hear you guys suddenly start talking about mattresses out of nowhere like it was just a natural part of the conversation.

Some soft background music or a sound effect at the beginning and end of an ad read would be fine. Honestly I don't mind the ads at all because the guys are so good with them. On every other podcast I listen to I fast forward past them, but I always listen to the WHM ads because they're funny and you're usually missing good bits if you don't listen to them.

People just don't understand the cost of running a business. They look at the gross but don't understand the net. If you're doing things right (high quality, legal, etc.) then you've got expenses most people don't even think about. I've always really appreciated the sound quality, editing, music, and overall production of WHM and that's not even taking into consideration the quality of the jokes. Not to mention the fact they put out an episode every freaking week on time. Consistency is hard.

My biggest problem with the ads is that they even need to run them. With the quality and consistency of the show, they should have more money, women, and booze than they can physically handle.

I've been lazy about signing up for their Patreon, but I'm doing it now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone who has ever sat through Paul Scheer's hocking of exotic snacks in his best pedophile voice has no right to complain about WHM, it's true.

I'm just trying to get an internet rivalry started.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My only comment on ads is that I miss when Joe Rogan was sponsored by Fleshlight. That was quality entertainment to hear him talk about them, I think they even brought them out and played around with them on the youtube a couple times.

So please, trim up your beard with your Harry's Razors, roll out your nice rear end internet mattress, open up your Loot Crate, put on your collection of Martin Cinemax III's Favorites Vol. 3 and go to town on your Fleshlight.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

BlameSpacePod posted:

P.S.

How DARE you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Idgi

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BlameSpacePod posted:

P.S.
:barf:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

2016 killed another one.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Why are podcasts even part of networks? I've never found a podcast through a network and iTunes is the one that tracks downloads and ratings. Why wouldn't advertisers just approach podcasts based on their audience size? It reminds me of when webcomics would be with certain hosting companies but then everyone figured out they could cut out the middleman and take more ad revenue for themselves. Lootcrate does business with a million lone nerd youtubers. If they don't buy equipment or provide representation and you can buy hosting and sell ads on the open market than what does their percentage really pay for?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
WHM is the only podcast I have ever listened to, so I will fully admit not knowing How These Things Work. I'm just used to how things have been. It's a great show either way, and listening to some ads is a small price to pay to enjoy it.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Chiming in to say that while ads in general suck I hope the gang makes shitloads of money on the podcast anyhow they can. Small price to pay for all of the laughs I've had. I dream of 2018 being the year the WHM guys go full time podcast and are doing 3 episodes a week from exotic locations with the tallest glasses of water.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dmitri-9 posted:

Why are podcasts even part of networks? I've never found a podcast through a network and iTunes is the one that tracks downloads and ratings. Why wouldn't advertisers just approach podcasts based on their audience size? It reminds me of when webcomics would be with certain hosting companies but then everyone figured out they could cut out the middleman and take more ad revenue for themselves. Lootcrate does business with a million lone nerd youtubers. If they don't buy equipment or provide representation and you can buy hosting and sell ads on the open market than what does their percentage really pay for?

Some people don't want to deal with marketing and editing and that ancillary stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BlameSpacePod posted:

Sorry to hear about all that shakeup. Now your username is kind of anachronistic... If you'd like I'll buy you a gift-certificate for here so you can update it to something more "WHMesqe" or even for an avatar.