Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I definitely didn't see a way to turn those off when I played a week or two ago but I think there's been a patch since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Walrus posted:

I really worry that making trico use the medallion is bad for him, or hurts him, or makes him scared :(

edit: weird to hear about it being better to play in pieces though. some of my fondest gaming memories are doing ico and sotc in one or two sittings with my old best buddy as a kid

I played all three ueda games in pieces, they almost sink in better that way. I couldn't imagine blasting through 16 colossi in a day, I want something to look forward to!

Oxxidation posted:

Unfortunately the big guy doesn't have the right kind of mouth for that, he'll always just knock your rear end over with his snout by accident if you hold onto the barrel long enough to make him go for it. You can toss them to him and he'll crunch them right out of the air, though.

I got him to eat the barrel out of my hands, but I never successfully landed a toss.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Montalvo posted:

Whoever curates the Playstation account on YouTube is a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI

Man for some reason this reminded me of terra incognito for ps1, except i think that actually looked better than this.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Holy poo poo I watched that trailer on my tablet earlier and didn't realize the YT app froze on the ESRB rating. I thought the trailer was 42 seconds of the rating screen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gravity rush 2 has some cool tech tricks on pro.
they have the geometry rendering at native 4k but everything else like shader rendering lower so you get super sharp edges without impacting performance

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm playing miku with the fight stick I'll never use for a fighting game

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

wait a minute

future tone, are you loving with me here

Are all the Hard songs just the Extreme notechart from Project Diva, and the Extreme is something relatively new? That's sadistic. I think I love it.'

Edit: Huh, looks like it was just that one song that was like that. Weird, considering I just played it on Vita while I was downloading.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 11, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've played several songs on Future Tone and the vocals are really soft. Like, I can barely hear them, if at all. The options menu didn't really help me any either. Is there a way to fix this?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

I've played several songs on Future Tone and the vocals are really soft. Like, I can barely hear them, if at all. The options menu didn't really help me any either. Is there a way to fix this?

try headphones. maybe its just your speaker set up

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Grouchio posted:

So how good is Dragon Age Inquisition compared to Witcher 3, which I have on my laptop?

Did you play the previous DA games? I liked it since I got to explore more areas and interact with my favorite companions. You will want to but GOTY since it includes all DLC and is cheaper than base. Mods made the combat better so I can't really say if it's that much fun on it's own. Also just ignore the side quests because they don't add anything to the main plot.

TW3 is one of the creepiest/indifferent MC I've played and combat was meh. I got past the griffin part and I had no idea why I even bothered helping people other than money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How the gently caress is he creepy, he is indifferent but that is the point,

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So, dumb question about Miku Future Tone and hopefully it's clear. I've played F2 and Diva X and started FT today. So far, I really like it, but is there a way to get the notes to display like the prior games? So, for example, when I see a pink arrow I know I'm supposed to hit the left D-pad and the square button simultaneously in X. In FT it's just square. Is there any way I can get the screen to just display the button prompt and not the arrow? It throws me off every time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morby posted:

So, dumb question about Miku Future Tone and hopefully it's clear. I've played F2 and Diva X and started FT today. So far, I really like it, but is there a way to get the notes to display like the prior games? So, for example, when I see a pink arrow I know I'm supposed to hit the left D-pad and the square button simultaneously in X. In FT it's just square. Is there any way I can get the screen to just display the button prompt and not the arrow? It throws me off every time.
Actually yeah, it's in the "customize" menu for the song. I forgot if there's a way to set it as the default, I haven't messed with it much since I have played it so much the default way (and my first Mikugame).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never got a creepy vibe from Geralt, which is more than I can say for literally ninety percent of all BioWare characters ever written.

Dude is trying to find the two people that he's closest to in the world who are somewhere in the middle of a war zone where both sides are morally hosed, I would be indifferent to most of the assholes I run across too. He kills monsters for money because that's his job and half the time the people paying him think he's a subhuman freak so that's kind of a thing too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

part of the story is that the process of becoming a witcher deadens your emotions. it's in the books the games are based on, even. I don't get how he's creepy but I have heard other people that didn't like geralt's va, so it's probably not that uncommon. I like his va, personally

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My only problem with his voice is that he sounds too much like Ben from Full Throttle.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally giving the bf1 campaign a shot, on hard mode to boot. That flying segment :stare: Didn't expect this to be the best single player dogfighting game I've played. Best looking, too, by a mile.

I seriously think BF1 is my 2016 goty. And a true contender for "this is why you need a pro" since I thought it was too sluggish on my og.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Akuma posted:

My only problem with his voice is that he sounds too much like Ben from Full Throttle.

But that game is over 20 years old, so maybe it's ok.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Finally giving the bf1 campaign a shot, on hard mode to boot. That flying segment :stare: Didn't expect this to be the best single player dogfighting game I've played. Best looking, too, by a mile.

I seriously think BF1 is my 2016 goty. And a true contender for "this is why you need a pro" since I thought it was too sluggish on my og.

Yeah the flying segment was awesome. I finished the game on hard mode and most of it was pretty doable. However, I can't believe how many field manuals and codex challenges I missed. I'm a player who goes out of his way to open every chest and enter every building. Part of me wants to finish them in easy mode just to get the Plat, but another part of me can't be arsed.

I played it on an OG PS4 and it was great. Loading times are a bit meh, but other than that I am happy with the games performance.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

But that game is over 20 years old, so maybe it's ok.
It's not really a problem, they're not the same VA because I'm pretty sure the guy that did Ben has been dead for a while. It's just hard for me to not notice it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Akuma posted:

Well thanks, now I want a Witcher point and click adventure game.

"I'm not putting my lips on that."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

My voice problem with Geralt is that first time I played it, I thought he sounded (to me) really like the titular character from Xavier: Renegade Angel, a weird CGI show that was on Adult Swim years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwPPrxjqKY

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sioux posted:

Yeah the flying segment was awesome. I finished the game on hard mode and most of it was pretty doable. However, I can't believe how many field manuals and codex challenges I missed. I'm a player who goes out of his way to open every chest and enter every building. Part of me wants to finish them in easy mode just to get the Plat, but another part of me can't be arsed.

I am considering a platinum (something I never do unless it's easy... and those codexs look like a bitch) but I just accidentally did the Italy mission on normal. gently caress! Wish I could just choose a difficulty and stick with it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

pro is essential for bf1

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey does anyone have that gif of a person making fun of people who cant use a ps3 controller around? i absolutely cant find it

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The OP should just say "Dragon Age: Inquisition is bad" imo.

The PS+ games this month are pretty neat! I got no clue where the heck I'm going in Titan Souls but it seems okay! It's giving me nice break from The Witcher and Titanfall 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Overall I enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition, I even finished the game. The world design frustrated me though, collecting everything on each map required more effort then I felt was worth it and leveling was too slow; if you finish the main story you won't be high enough level to tackle the DLC was pretty absurd.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inquisition is pretty all right. Not without its flaws, but a solid experience. It's definitely not the kind of game you can just pick up casually while you're doing other stuff, though. Have to block off 3-4 weeks on your gaming calendar to marathon it if you're even just a little bit completionist about things, or you'll never finish.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

hey does anyone have that gif of a person making fun of people who cant use a ps3 controller around? i absolutely cant find it

http://giphy.com/gifs/ps3-FIdYd8Nat08Fy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Idgi did people hate the PS3 controller or what.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of people have the problem of using analog sticks with their thumb knuckle joint and not the tips, which leads to a lot of complaints when trying to make the transition from an XBox controller to a Dualshock where the two sticks are obviously much closer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

im somewhat excited to see this play out but the tl;dr is that everyone has REALLY BIG HANDS, HE HEH, U NO WHAT IM SAYIN and they were WAY TOO BIG to use a ps3 controller, and a lot of people were trying to figure out how the gently caress people were holding ps3 controllers that their thumbs were hitting each other so somebody made that gif as a joke

TaurusOxford posted:

A lot of people have the problem of using analog sticks with their thumb knuckle joint and not the tips, which leads to a lot of complaints when trying to make the transition from an XBox controller to a Dualshock where the two sticks are obviously much closer.

i find it really hard to believe that they couldnt figure out trying to use the tips of their thumbs since every single one emphasized the extreme big hugeness of their hands

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

A lot of people have the problem of using analog sticks with their thumb knuckle joint

Doesn't sound like the problem was with the controllers...

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Now that the dust of holiday shopping has settled, I've decided to upgrade my harddrive on my launch PS4 to 2TB. Is this guide from the last thread's OP still the best guide for installation? And is the Seagate Backup Plus still the goon recommended drive, or have we found something better? I've only casually been looking at these, anyone have experience with them going on sale/below $80?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

part of the story is that the process of becoming a witcher deadens your emotions. it's in the books the games are based on, even. I don't get how he's creepy but I have heard other people that didn't like geralt's va, so it's probably not that uncommon. I like his va, personally

I thought that that was actually just bullshit anti-witcher propaganda in the books and the games.

quote:

Finally giving the bf1 campaign a shot, on hard mode to boot. That flying segment Didn't expect this to be the best single player dogfighting game I've played. Best looking, too, by a mile.

I love how most of the campaigns are about the horror or brutality of war, and the pilot's is abut how badass and awesome it is to be a pilot.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I bit the bullet and traded up for a pro. Gamestop has a deal going on for 175 bucks in-store credit towards a pro of you trade in your og ps4. I ended up trading in a few games and paying less than 200 out of pocket.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition is pretty all right. Not without its flaws, but a solid experience. It's definitely not the kind of game you can just pick up casually while you're doing other stuff, though. Have to block off 3-4 weeks on your gaming calendar to marathon it if you're even just a little bit completionist about things, or you'll never finish.

Half the reason I finished Inquisition was because I was getting anxious over how long I had spent with the game. It wasn't that I was done or that I had a burning desire to beat Corypheus, it was that I had serious FOMO from so many other cool games to play. Doesn't help that I participate in a games forum I guess, where you're constantly talking and hearing about other great experiences.

Though I wouldn't say wanting to complete Inquisition is necessarily "completionist". I know it's right there in the word but when I hear completionist I think of needing to find all the collectibles and junk or get achievements but in Inquisition or any big RPG it's more about the actual content. If you don't scour every part of the maps are you missing out on fantastic loot or interesting battles or character relationship tidbits, etc.?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

If you don't scour every part of the maps are you missing out on fantastic loot or interesting battles or character relationship tidbits, etc.?

No. All of the side content is garbage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Andrast posted:

No. All of the side content is garbage.

That was more rhetorical. That's what someone may be asking themselves if they're playing the game. Contrast it with "do I want to be a completionist if that means having to collect feathers that are strewn about the world?" It's pretty obviously not content in the meaningful sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hi, I've played some games recently.

Gravity Rush Remastered - I beat this a few months ago, but I never got around to posting about it. A previous poster likened it to a quirky Dreamcast game, which I think is apt. You are a mysterious anime girl who is thrust into a flying city. You eventually learn that you have the power to shift gravity, so you can choose which way you fall. You go around helping town folk until the anime plot decides to kick in. The world has an interesting feel to it, and the art style really pulls everything together. I especially liked the comic panel presentation of most cut scenes. My complaints are two fold. First, the game is a bit too long for what it is. The main plot takes a minute to get started, and it feels like there is some unnecessary padding. The gameplay loop just doesn't need to be stretched out over 10+ hours. The second is that at a certain point, mainly a boss, the combat got really frustrating. Your main combat trick is a gravity kick, which is a homing kick you initiate while floating. This is your only constant attack against airborne enemies (you have some simple punching combos on the ground along with a gravity sliding attack if you really want) barring super moves. The issue is that the homing capability is spotty against moving targets...which is the point of having a homing attack. Imagine trying to use a homing attack and missing for 10+ minutes in a boss fight with no other options. The game ended on a solid note, though I was so fed up with the combat that I was ready to shelf the game.

Question: What is the cliff hanger that everyone complained about? I don't remember thinking that I needed another game to tie up anything really.

Titan Souls - Imagine a 2D Shadow of the Colossus that focused more on twitch pattern recognition and less on cinematics. I enjoy the idea of boss rush games. Bosses are the most interesting parts of video games, and everything in between the bosses is usually boring filler (shout out MGS: Revengeance). This game is solid. You have a button to run/dodge roll and a button to fire your single arrow. Once you fire your arrow, you can either go pick it up, or you can call it back to you. The only enemies in the game are the bosses. Each boss can be defeated by 1-2 well placed arrow shots, depending on the need to hit a weak spot to open up the target. You also die in one shot. The bosses have varied and interesting designs, which I appreciated. My only complaint is that nearly every boss uses tracking/input reading while also having additional attacks to dodge simultaneously. Nearly every boss is defeated by dodging the attack at the last second in a way that you are in position to dodge the protection attack and fire your arrow in <1 second. It gets annoying dealing with such heavy input tracking. Some boss fights turned into aI manipulation rather than pattern recognition as a result, if that makes sense? Also, some hit boxes I felt were a little spotty due to the way that perspective played out in a 2D space. Otherwise, I enjoyed the game. It has some really stellar pixel art and music.

What is everyone's favorite and least favorite bosses? My favorite was the magma ball that you had to pull with your arrow toward the bomb. That was a great way to play with design space.. My least favorite were the two bosses I had to look up:the skull with two maces and the Image of the Titan Soul. The skull just did not register arrows that I felt should hit his weak spot. The Image was just really dumb design. The tracking was so bad it was hitting me mid dodge roll. Thematically, the idea of using your arrow was cool, but it is pretty dumb to punish you further for missing when the game already punishes you through its mechanics. Also, jumping out of its' soul armor felt random. Every other boss is predicated on knowing where the weak spot will pop up after its attack sequence. I could never predict where this one would be until I watched a video. Just really frustrating design. I had a much easier time with Truth than image.

I would like to know how I stack up against other people who beat the game for the first time. I beat all 19 bosses with about 227 deaths and 2.5 hours.

Furi - I really wanted to like this game. It's a boss rush game that switches between melee segments and bullet hell esque segments. Each boss has like 6 stages with multiple health bars. You get 3 lives per boss, and each stage of the boss you beat replenishes your current life and another life. The style of the game is really cool, minus the dude with rabbit head. I'm not sure why that edge lord existed. I beat the first boss, which took like 20-30 minutes. I gave up on the second boss. I'm sure I could have beaten it if I tried more, but I was frustrated with the way that lives work in the game. If your health bar is depleted, you restart the stage you are on. That's better than restarting the entire boss, but it is still annoying to restart such a long segment. If you lose all of your lives, you have to restart the entire boss. You can't save mid boss, so it's all or nothing. If you're going to have a life system, at least do me the favor of not refilling the boss's health. The life system seems arbitrary. We haven't been in the 8/16 bit days in 20 years; there is no need to erase progress like that. I would like to say I could return to this, but I have a pretty large backlog.

Final Fantasy XV - The ending sequence in this game made everything worth it. Legitimately one of my favorite endings ever. And the summons are Gorgeous. I was annoyed at how long it took to get around, even on a chocobo, but I just convinced myself not to do side quests as a result. I appreciated the brevity of the main story. There were a few sequences where you could tell they had grander plans the negotiation sequence in Altissa, the ability to turn in side quests by phone but only for the first side quest, some more stuff [\spoiler]. Chapter 13 was as drawn out as it was portrayed, and I doubly hated it because [spoiler]it was so cartoonishly evil to have Ardyn heckle you over intercom and give you Prompto back. I thought that Ardyn was a fairly interesting character up until that point, and then I warped to some kid's cartoon dimension of FFXV. Overall, I would definitely suggest a play. I'm curious to see what they add. I'm going to hold off on the season pass until I hear some reviews.

Up next on my backlog: Last of Us Remastered. Wish me luck.