Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

If nothing else calling it a twist that it's a work of fiction is disingenuous because the premise that a successful game developer could publish what is openly a collection of somebody else's levels and sell it as a commercial product without their consent is not something that could really happen in any conceivable way.

I bought the documentary angle going in and I don't remember at what point I realized "oh, this is all a conceit."

But then I bought the game sight unseen so I didn't think very hard about its presentation before starting it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I'm playing Alan Wake and it's basically Twin Peaks as written by Stephen King which is very much my jam. The game is broken into episodes and every episode ends with a big event or moment while a song plays over it, just like a real TV show. The subsequent episode even starts with a flashback of "previosuly on Alan Wake" and clips from the episode you just played. I actually like this set-up but the problem is that the game doesn't let you save and quite between episodes so you always have to sit through the end of one episode and then you're straight into the flashback of the events you just played through. It's really weird and dumb.

I really like Alan Wake but it was always weird to me that there were so many stadium lights hooked up to generators in the middle of the woods.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really like Alan Wake but it was always weird to me that there were so many stadium lights hooked up to generators in the middle of the woods.

Alan wrote them there duh

It sucks there won't ever be a real ending to that series

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Spinning Robo posted:

While i havnt played gungeon myself i get the feeling your tune will change in a few hours of playtime

If you put some time into Gungeon it probably won't.

Its actually really starting to annoy me that the consensus on Gungeon is it never lets you use anything and dicks you over at every opportunity. Its just not true, the game throws guns at you like candy, you will get an absolute minimum of one gun per floor, and more likely two or three if you unlock some chests or buy some from the shop. If people are playing the game and getting annoyed, something I would suggest is to just experiment with whatever you get. Despite having hundreds of weapons in the game it does a good job at making almost of all of them effective and usable and some weapons that seem crap at first can be unexpectedly good after you get used to them, like the Corsair or fossilized gun. The game is nowhere near as infuriating as a lot of people here are suggesting, unless you're doing things to intentionally make it more frustrating like doing a cursed, blessed, challenge mode bullet hell run with the Robot character.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

Alan wrote them there duh

i really liked the Twilight Zone theme American Nightmare was going for, but repeating every setpiece when you have to return to levels like it's groundhog day was tedious.

especially because you had to hear that kasabian song over and over again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I picked up the (goon made?) mobile game Tiny Tower, and as I loaded it I wondered why I dropped it long ago.

Then I remembered: the game is so goddamned needy. It pings you with notifications because a trade good is sold out. It pings you when the trade good is bought, because you need to tell a store to start selling the stuff you just bought. You can only stock one good (out of three) at a time, so you can't just queue up stuff.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I picked up Nuclear Throne recently and I like it a lot. However I do have one complaint about it illustrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ9X9wBSZUQ#t=49m49

My only experience with roguelites has been Rogue Legacy, FTL, and Nuclear Throne. They're all good IMO v:shobon:v

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

The Beginner's Guide didn't light anyone's world on fire but there's nothing wrong with its presentation, it's using the pseudo-documentary style to make a point about the relation between art, the creator, and the consumer. It's basically Pale Fire but with videogames and without the flawless guiding hand of Nabokov.

My opinion isn't very strong or articulate, I just know how I felt when I got to the end of the game. I could try and explain it more but my opinion sucks (even the Wikipedia page on Pale Fire looks impenetrable), so maybe I did miss the big point of it. [I had another paragraph here but I already started to argue myself into the opposing corner]

Less artsy, more specific: I'm just before some mission in Watch Dogs. There is at least two and a half minutes of dialogue (phone calls and Aiden talking to himself) before I actually have total freedom. I've ended up opening the game several times at this point without getting to next checkpoint and it sure is getting annoying. I've practically lost interest in the game by the time I can play it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Len posted:

It sucks that they didn't just give the game a complete story instead of spending it all setting up an epic media empire empire that fizzled out with two pieces of DLC and a downloadable title.

Especially when the gameplay in the DLC was so better, I would have loved to have more trippy dreamscape levels with writing-based booby traps and less wandering through the woods.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

khwarezm posted:

the game throws guns at you like candy

I haven't played it, but it seems like much of the problem is that they give you guns, but no ammo for the guns. Also that you only get health tanks if you don't get hit seems weird as hell.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
If The Beginner's Guide pissed you off, then it did its job. It is aggressive and spiteful and angry and frustrated. It's not a puzzle to solve or a narrative to follow. There's no meaning but what you give it, and I gave it a lot. When I finished it I was angry-crying.

Jim Sterling's review of it is amazing, by the way.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inco posted:

I haven't played it, but it seems like much of the problem is that they give you guns, but no ammo for the guns. Also that you only get health tanks if you don't get hit seems weird as hell.

It's not quite that straightforward. The game is always keeping track of an invisible stat called "coolness" which is used to determine your chance of drops. Certain items can increase it, as well as just playing well in general. The idea is that good runs will have a kind of snowball effect and you'll get more chests and everything else by not getting hit. In practice, a lot of the time it means that you'll end up getting a bunch of health drops which you can't use. Ammo can still be an issue, but it's another thing affected by coolness so you should get plenty if you're not getting hit a bunch. The recent Supply Drop update addressed the other main complaint of never having enough keys by making an enemy that turns into one when it dies.

I've played Gungeon a bunch since it's still a good time waster, but even though I like the game I'll admit that a lot of the usual complaints about it are perfectly valid. It's kind of weird that it has a system built in to kick you while you're down and rain health on people that don't need it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OGS-Remix posted:

I picked up Nuclear Throne recently and I like it a lot. However I do have one complaint about it illustrated here:

Video games are art.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Inco posted:

The 'Never gives ammo' thing is overstated in that regard, ammo works on a drop system (and actually has a separate drop system to try and increase the likelihood of an ammo drop occurring, that's why you can sometimes see ammo drop twice in one room) that has a chance to drop in any room you clear, like NoEyedSquareGuy says that's effected by the coolness stat. The problem isn't that the game intentionally withholds ammo from the player, its that the ammo is random in the same way other drops like armor or keys are to. Its the randomness of that system that creates issues, you can have situations where you'll get three drops one room after the other but all of your weapons are already full, and on the flip-side you can potentially go through a whole floor without any ammo dropping at all. The latter doesn't actually happen all that much, but when it does it can be very aggravating and that's what sticks out in people's mind.

If I changed anything WRT ammo I'd probably make it a guaranteed item in the shop, make it cheaper to buy and have a guaranteed ammo drop after a boss is defeated (they usually do drop some anyway though). That would help a lot for newer players but like I said when you play the game as is right now the main thing you realize is that you can find guns at a rate that should outpace any ammo issues consistently. Maybe switch around a bit so you use shittier guns against weak enemies, but you need to get to know the guns a bit and you'll realize that finding a fairly common gun like the Megahand or Heroine can complete several floors without a reload.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

loving lmao

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

If The Beginner's Guide pissed you off, then it did its job. It is aggressive and spiteful and angry and frustrated. It's not a puzzle to solve or a narrative to follow. There's no meaning but what you give it, and I gave it a lot. When I finished it I was angry-crying.

Jim Sterling's review of it is amazing, by the way.

It sounds like a bad video game.

Anyway I started XCOM 2 and I'm not sure if this is a sequel or an alternate timeline. I murdered all those aliens, why is my cool sweater wearing soldier man now an angry drunk?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Anyway I started XCOM 2 and I'm not sure if this is a sequel or an alternate timeline. I murdered all those aliens, why is my cool sweater wearing soldier man now an angry drunk?

The developers were major, major fans of Mortal Kombat 3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nuebot posted:

It goes off of my playthrough of XCOM, man. The one where my squads kept getting murdered by Thin Men. Sorry 'bout that, you'll have to fix the mistakes I made.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

When your base got invaded they actually captured the player and killed misterbibs's family, the rest of XCOM 1 was a simulator set up by the aliens to learn from your amazing tactical genius.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Nuebot posted:

I thought it was a funny and interesting hour - two hour diversion - I for one didn't get emotionally wrecked by the one-man indie game like some of the others seem to have been.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

When your base got invaded they actually captured the player and killed misterbibs's family, the rest of XCOM 1 was a simulator set up by the aliens to learn from your amazing tactical genius.

I actually just saw the cutscene where they explained the implant was running simulations and I thought the exact same thing. :shepface: I miss my MECs and having soldiers able to hit dudes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alien Hominid isn't on steam and that really drags it down

The Coxie
Feb 14, 2008
Snappity snap, aw yeah!
Something I've noticed happening in Rocket League lately is people joining a match and just driving around in circles and not playing the game. I'm assuming it's so they can farm car hats. I can't think of a more sad waste of time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

But good art.

A bit like how the Kane and Lynch are some of the best story/game integration around and really did interesting and cool things, with the very slight caveat that they play like utter loving poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

But good art.

A bit like how the Kane and Lynch are some of the best story/game integration around and really did interesting and cool things, with the very slight caveat that they play like utter loving poo poo.

I'd rather it still be a good game though. Or at least a decent game. Your game can be as artistic as you want, but if it sounds like utter poo poo I'm not going to want to play it. :shrug:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I'd rather it still be a good game though. Or at least a decent game. Your game can be as artistic as you want, but if it sounds like utter poo poo I'm not going to want to play it. :shrug:

TBG plays fine for a walking sim, it's just got some very uncomfortable themes that resonate powerfully in a very particular audience and not so much for other people. Games tend toward mass appeal and something that focused reads as "bad" to people outside its target group. Unfortunately game reviewers tended to be dead centre of that target group, so the game got a lot of hype that it couldn't really live up to in the mass market. Like how movies about Old Hollywood do really well at the Oscars and how facecammers adore horror games that let them scream.

It was exactly what I wanted it to be and it cut like a knife.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

spit on my clit posted:

Alien Hominid isn't on steam and that really drags it down

http://www.agame.com/game/alien-hominid

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
On top of Gungeon's ammo thing - it was bugged for a fortnight where one of the two rolls for an ammo box would only activate if you only used your starter-infinite-ammo gun. So you only got one roll that was for money, ammo, health, armor, keys and very rarely chests.

Once it was fixed I very rarely had issues with ammo, but early impressions are the one that get spread around.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Beginner's Guide was bad and boring and I'm right in the target audience. The Stanley Parable was good because of how it played with your expectations and prodded at the interaction between player and game, TBG is just two hours of some windbag rambling at you about everything sort-of-autobiographical thought going through his head while you wait for the next area to start and occasionally press a button. I got near the end and went to bed and never bothered going back to it

it definitely had some cool ideas and moments but apart from the fun spaceship bridge level every one was ruined by overextending its welcome and having the narrrator blather on and on about exactly what said parts might be all about

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

having the narrrator blather on and on about exactly what said parts might be all about

Whoosh.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I "get" it dude but it doesn't make it good or clever. Intentionally half-baked wankery is still half-baked wankery and I will stab the next person who compares a meta-indie walking sim to loving Nabokov

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I "get" it dude but it doesn't make it good or clever. Intentionally half-baked wankery is still half-baked wankery and I will stab the next person who compares a meta-indie walking sim to loving Nabokov

Listen pal if you hate something I like it could only be because you can't crush walnuts with your megamind like me

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So that's what nerds have moved on to, comparing games to russian novelists? What happened to being the Citizen Kane of games?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
who has used this claim and actually watched citizen kane?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I watched Citizen Kane in the way it was meant to be watched: at the age of 17, while snacking

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So that's what nerds have moved on to, comparing games to russian novelists? What happened to being the Citizen Kane of games?
that reminded me of this great blog and lol the latest example is in fact the Stanley Parable. kill all nerds

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that reminded me of this great blog and lol the latest example is in fact the Stanley Parable. kill all nerds

What I'm getting from that blog is that the Citizen Kane of videogames is whatever game the writer happens to think is best. To make a short point shorter: gently caress anyone who identifies as a "gamer."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

All video games are collaborative art projects fyi

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I dunno, I've definitely watched movies and read books I didn't think were enjoyable in one way but left an impression.

Like maybe with Black Mirror; where some of the shows are incredibly bleak and depressing; it's good television but not personally enjoyable.

Especially with K&L, there's a long history in nordic crime cinema where you are introduced to very flawed and poo poo characters and watch them meet their fate. K&L was dogme 95 as gently caress.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Beginner's Guide was bad and boring and I'm right in the target audience. The Stanley Parable was good because of how it played with your expectations and prodded at the interaction between player and game, TBG is just two hours of some windbag rambling at you about everything sort-of-autobiographical thought going through his head while you wait for the next area to start and occasionally press a button. I got near the end and went to bed and never bothered going back to it

it definitely had some cool ideas and moments but apart from the fun spaceship bridge level every one was ruined by overextending its welcome and having the narrrator blather on and on about exactly what said parts might be all about
Ohhhhhhhhh maaaaaannnnnnnnn

you should have played a lil bit longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You know what, all this Gungeon talk so I decided to fire up the game and see if it's changed at all.

And it has! It's actually a bit better now! I still died early, but I died because I'm bad and I died with a good gun in my hand, so it's no one's fault but my own. I mean, I didn't see a single heart drop after I started taking damage and the boss fights are super long, but it's still a drastic improvement from what it was at launch and maybe it's a game I'll try to get better at now.