Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm still impressed by just how bad Samurai manages to be, despite basically ripping off not only the main plot, but also the plots of individual (and very good) episodes wholesale.

Like, it takes a special kind of suck to blatantly copy something good and STILL be unwatchable. It's like watching a twelve-year-old trace a screen cap from their favorite anime in MSPaint, except they don't have the excuse of being a single tween with poor decision-making skills.

Edit Seriously, look at this poo poo. If you did a name find/replace, I'm pretty sure almost literally all of those episodes would just be the Shinkenger episode summaries.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I've been trying to find if there are any dvd sets of Hikari Sentai Maskman and Chojin Sentai Jetman that at least have english subtitles and have failed to do so. Do some of you folks know if english subtitled versions of these series even exist?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

G-III posted:

I've been trying to find if there are any dvd sets of Hikari Sentai Maskman and Chojin Sentai Jetman that at least have english subtitles and have failed to do so. Do some of you folks know if english subtitled versions of these series even exist?

Both exist online through downloading. You'd have to look up one of the usual places to get a torrent, though If you don't know what that is, just poke around here- https://www.nyaa.se/ . I'm pretty sure sharing torrent sites is frowned on around here for the most part, but this is a bit of a gray area since there's literally no other way to watch anything Pre Zyu with subs legally.

Ultraman has gotten pretty lucky recently with the support from Crunchyroll and Shout Factory, makes it much easier to recommend people.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Burkion posted:

Both exist online through downloading. You'd have to look up one of the usual places to get a torrent, though If you don't know what that is, just poke around here- https://www.nyaa.se/ . I'm pretty sure sharing torrent sites is frowned on around here for the most part, but this is a bit of a gray area since there's literally no other way to watch anything Pre Zyu with subs legally.

Ultraman has gotten pretty lucky recently with the support from Crunchyroll and Shout Factory, makes it much easier to recommend people.
Yeah I was looking for a legal non-FILEZ solution. After catching Zyurangers on shoutfactory tv I came to the realization that old sentai stuff, specifically anything that Keita Amemiya got his hands on, is just crazy sauce and I can't get enough of it.

Zyrangers really f'ed me up because it's just non-stop insano child abuse from episode to episode.

G-III fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 8, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd recommend Kamen Rider V3 in that vein, but the legal DVDs cost 100 dollars and its otherwise hard as hell to track down unless you REALLY know where to go like some dipshit (I might be like some dipshit)

Other than that, sadly there isn't much of a market for Pre Zyu fun toku bullshit online that isn't Ultraman. Weirdly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd think at least Jetman would get some love? I need to watch that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Super Sentai has been about FILEZ for about 13 years, and before that it was barely seen by anyone aside from some early to mid 80s dubs in Latin America and at least one series popping up in Hawaii. Pre-Zyu series were usually only licensed to make late-night gag dubs where some aspiring comedian pulled all the dialogue out of his rear end. Zyu-onwards was one of those things people were curious about, but wouldn't see for many years because Saban had too much money at stake in applying his layer of cultural re-appropriation. You just confuse kids looking to buy toys if you let things like "did you know Trini is actually a guy" become part of the target audience's common knowledge.

Even FILEZ took a long time relative to anime like Dragonball etc, because it was assumed to be one of those licenses that would be quick to legal threats so long as it could still be a huge moneymaker for Saban and Bandai.

It's sort of like how Sailor Moon fandom was, for various reasons, stuck trading tapes for 17 years until Viz finally landed the license in 2014. Except Sailor Moon had otaku purists criticizing it for most of those 17 years. Power Rangers had a larger and more vocal core fandom, so any type of otaku purity movement would end up having the mother of all subs vs dubs wars with the people who genuinely loved Zordon-era PR.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 8, 2017

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It helps that subs v dubs in this case the shows are completely different shows, even when carbon copying plots, so they're both worth watching.

But oh man the episode of Dino Thunder where they watched a dubbed version of the Sentai people were real loving salty about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wasn't the moral of that episode basically 'Japan does things the Japanese way, America does things the American way :dealwithit: "?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So you can see how insulting it was to a certain group of people.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PMush Perfect posted:

Wasn't the moral of that episode basically 'Japan does things the Japanese way, America does things the American way :dealwithit: "?

Indeed. Connor was all upset and being a pissy bitch about it being an insulting bastardization.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best part was that they didn't embellish the stupidity of the episode they dubbed at all.

Like, at aaaaaall. They could have easily done a gag dub- nope didn't need to.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Craptacular! posted:

It's sort of like how Sailor Moon fandom was, for various reasons, stuck trading tapes for 17 years until Viz finally landed the license in 2014. Except Sailor Moon had otaku purists criticizing it for most of those 17 years. Power Rangers had a larger and more vocal core fandom, so any type of otaku purity movement would end up having the mother of all subs vs dubs wars with the people who genuinely loved Zordon-era PR.

Something interesting about Sailor Moon was DiC had dubbed episodes all the way to the end of R, but the last fourteen episodes or so never aired in the US, but did in Canada. They were finally aired in the US on Toonami in December, 1998.

Dragon Ball Z was dubbed by Saban up to the episode that Goku landed on Namek, and so were the first three movies, and that was it until autumn 1999 when Funimation got the rights to it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Abaranger had a lot of terrible episodes, and at some point either DT was going to have to be a shortened series, or have to change things dramatically the way MMPR did, or just dive into the insane stupid poo poo head-on the way Turbo did. They opted for #2, with one episode showing you why they didn't do #3. I mean, what are you supposed to do with an entire episode about a cartoon character from another IP on the network popping into reality?

People were only mad because at that point the sentai fandom was basically focused around TV-Nihon, which at the time was led by people who would actually ban you for saying you like PR more, give you steely glares for liking both programs, etc. The amount of groupthink enforced by their admins at the time basically demanded that episode be seen a most dire insult.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've never seen Dino Thunder, but I will pretend it's as loving a mockery as Akibaranger's Powerful Rangers.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I can remember watching dubbed Sailor Moon on tv as a kid on UPN I think.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Star Man posted:

Something interesting about Sailor Moon was DiC had dubbed episodes all the way to the end of R, but the last fourteen episodes or so never aired in the US, but did in Canada. They were finally aired in the US on Toonami in December, 1998.

I remember they were just about ready to rumble with that douche and his sisters, and then the episodes suddenly stopped. I also remember it showing up on Toonami, but by that point I had lost interest.

My point of comparison is that Sailor Moon fans had enough purists to shake that license out of the hands of the toy marketers who would rather westernize it for American girls in the 90s. They were, however, no happier in the 2000s, because while ADV's dub of seasons 1&2 was better than DiC's was, their subtitles weren't accurate enough for fandom and their video was the same footage DiC used and had periodic content edits. ADV blamed this on Toei.

PR never had that kind of thing, because PR had a fairly vocal teenage/YA contingent that liked the localized show and would have enjoyed having access to the originals but wasn't going to scream about it. The show's writers realized it by the second season, because the episode where Zedd re-summons Scorpina to flirt with Adam was designed to pander to the older fans. Kids didn't care, but older fans were frustrated by Scorpina's only periodic appearances at Rita's side and how after Zedd appeared she seemed to have been forgotten completely, and the ship tease was right in their wheelhouse.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I can remember watching dubbed Sailor Moon on tv as a kid on UPN I think.

It was syndication, but UPN/WB affiliates needed something to air outside of prime time so it often ended up there.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 8, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I've never seen Dino Thunder, but I will pretend it's as loving a mockery as Akibaranger's Powerful Rangers.

It wasn't a mockery at all.

They just straight up dubbed the episode. The episode was about a wig wearing teddy bear trash monster that puts wigs on people to make them super greedy. He hits a baseball player to make him super greedy. he is defeated when the base ball player overpowers his wig to hit a ball attack to stop being super greedy.

It's about as silly as you can get.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since I have a Giants avatar, I am obligated to mention that in the original script the baseball player was only referred to as "Bonds". :allears:

I seem to remember they kept the part where the raptors show up with gigantic oversized piggy banks that look like cats, and they try to capture all the giant coins the monster is shooting with these huge kitty banks and then the slot is jammed and explosions and sparklers result. That episode was just ridiculous.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finally caught the first episode of Jetman and that poo poo is wild. A baby gets thrown and a woman gets sucked out of a space station and killed by the vacuum of space.

In the second episode we get a nice metaphor for rape, insemination, and child birth all in a show for kids.

https://youtu.be/a_w1xe0i_f4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Craptacular! posted:

the mother of all subs vs dubs wars

Thread title pls

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
PSA: don't go see the Ultraman event at Alamo Drafthouse. The films are dubbed. And dubbed badly

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Unpopular opinion time, but I adore both Power Rangers Samurai and Goseiger. Samurai definitely has flaws and there are some aspects I didn't like (Mia and the Beetle Zord incidents, the unnecessary "fantastico"s, the acting in the earlier episodes), but on the whole I had a blast watching it and I really enjoyed the characters.

Goseiger also works for me, but in a different way. It manages to have very interesting villains (which is a flaw that Gokaiger had) and I loved Alata. He is one of my favorite Sentai Reds. He's so earnest :3:. The Goseigers also had one of the best suits in the franchise. I think they did a really good job establishing the importance of their mission as guardian angels and there were several episodes where that really shined. Also bonus DekaGreen in one episode. Goseiger is in the top half of my personal list of Sentai seasons.

MegaForce just took a giant poo poo on it. I don't blame the actors. I blame the writers and the producers who made some frankly bizarre decisions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Serious question: have you watched Shinkenger?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Serious question: have you watched Shinkenger?

I have watched 2 episodes thus far. It's definitely on my to watch list. My wife (who got me back into PR and into SS) loves them both.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

PSA: don't go see the Ultraman event at Alamo Drafthouse. The films are dubbed. And dubbed badly

Badly enough to avoid the novelty of watching Ultraman on a big screen?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morby posted:

I have watched 2 episodes thus far. It's definitely on my to watch list. My wife (who got me back into PR and into SS) loves them both.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and take a guess that everything you like about Samurai was directly taken from, and done better by, Shinkenger.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The laura arc in Samurai was possibly the worst way to adapt the original version, like seriously.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

I've been struggling with that one. Seeing toku fight scenes on the big screen was fantastic. The Alamo preshow was typically top notch and very nearly worth the price of admission alone.

But I cannot overstate just how dire this dub job was. They slavishly matched the original lipflaps, leading to most deliveries having. An oddly Shatner. Like cadence. To them. I didn't recognize a single name in the dub credits; the cast was amateur as hell.

I will say though...at least it was a dub of the Japanese script. They didn't fill the fight scenes with a bunch of chatter like Power Rangers tends to.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 9, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

It's an International English dub. If you have any history with the Godzilla films, you'll know what a nightmare they are. Even though they're official, they're not done by any major group or even by any MINOR group. They're largely in house nonsense whose dub work go from passable at best to utter horror shows.

From what I've heard, this is one of the not as bad as it could be but still pretty dire situations where they try to match lip flaps no matter what, while keeping the script completely literal. So

You get

Lots of

Awkward pause

es and phrases

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and take a guess that everything you like about Samurai was directly taken from, and done better by, Shinkenger.

Considering that one of the big complaints is that Samurai is a carbon copy of Shinkenger, I think that's a reasonable assertion.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Reminds me of how I used to really enjoy Time Force, then went and watched Timeranger subbed and was like...wow this is a lot like Time Force but done better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Reminds me of how I used to really enjoy Time Force, then went and watched Timeranger subbed and was like...wow this is a lot like Time Force but done better.
How much of it was subbed?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

How much of it was subbed?

Overtime has subbed 30 of the show's 50 episodes so far (51 if you count a special they did where they comment on past Sentai teams, it's also the closest thing to a Gaoranger teamup they ever did).

There are technically subs for the rest of the series out there but I wouldn't recommend them as they're mostly guess subs based off of episode summaries and a minimal knowledge of Japanese. The episodes are pretty poor quality too as they were apparently taken from VHS recordings.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 9, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's what I thought. I was kinda hoping there was at least something lovely done. :saddowns:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hope I'm not the only one that reads this thread and has to refer to a chart to keep track of which Power Rangers series is an adaptation of its Super Sentai source. Nevermind that I can only date three Power Rangers seasona after In Space because I grew out of the show at the beginning of Turbo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sometimes it's super obvious (Time Ranger -> Time Force), sometimes it requires reasonably thorough knowledge of the series involved.

This helps, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6oum0kOGl4

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 11, 2017

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only confusing one is Gekisou Sentai Carranger becoming Power Rangers Turbo, because there was Kousoku Sentai Turboranger already :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can't reliably identify pre-Zyu seasons simply because I don't have a power rangers equivalent to tie them to in my head. I could probably name all 15 early entires..but not in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Star Man posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that reads this thread and has to refer to a chart to keep track of which Power Rangers series is an adaptation of its Super Sentai source. Nevermind that I can only date three Power Rangers seasona after In Space because I grew out of the show at the beginning of Turbo.

I can name each up to Mystic Force/Magiranger. I stopped watching every episode when I reacted negatively to Lightspeed. Being able to watch both series dragged me back in for a few years, and then I drifted off again. I should have come back for either Gekiranger or Jungle Fury, since I really liked those costumes, but my life was in a really awkward place in 2007.