Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If at any point you have to say "eh Nazis" in your discussion, you should probably give up that discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

let that be the last time eugenics rears its ugly head here

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
It wouldn't have to rear its ugly head at all if that poo poo had been screened for and fixed in the womb.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Collateral Damage posted:

Rick and Morty is bad and unfunny.

Rick and Morty is about the only good cartoon made since KOTH. It is no garbage family guy or similar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the third best movie in the series ahead of Temple of Doom. It's perfectly good for an Indiana Jones movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the third best movie in the series ahead of Temple of Doom. It's perfectly good for an Indiana Jones movie.

The one bad thing about it was really bad. I am referring, of course, to the alien making that loving stupid OOH I'M SO ANGRY CGI face near the end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Temple of Doom is my favorite Indiana Jones movie.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its mine too but my uncle had a vhs tape of it when i was a kid so watching that movie repeatedly at the age of 8 made it great. Especially the dinner scene with the snake and monkey brains. I also really loved the scene in 3 where young indy comes face to face with a lion on a moving train. Or maybe that was the Young Indy tv series? I don't remember a single thing about the first movie. Some nazi guy melts or something? Its been like 20 years.

Man i need to watch those films again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah the nazi guy's face melts in the first one and the lion scene is in a flashback in last crusade. They are great movies and crystal skull sucks.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I maybe watched them too late because they were all one and done for me. Never cared to watch Crystal Skull, not even before it came out and the hype train was rolling. :smith:
But I guess that's better than Star Wars, which I just hate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only reason I like the original trilogy of Star Wars was because I saw them when I was a kid. I don't know why new generations clomp onto them besides "its nerdy and I want to associate with nerd culture."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only reason I like the original trilogy of Star Wars was because I saw them when I was a kid. I don't know why new generations clomp onto them besides "its nerdy and I want to associate with nerd culture."

Perhaps they saw it as kids too?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Impossible!

I'm an idiot

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's okay. You're old, it happens.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mummy films are on par with Indiana Jones films.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the first two were pretty fun, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the whole mummy gimmick tho

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah the nazi guy's face melts in the first one and the lion scene is in a flashback in last crusade. They are great movies and crystal skull sucks.

:agreed: i would defend the sw prequels over crystal skull

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lemon-lyme disease posted:

It wouldn't have to rear its ugly head at all if that poo poo had been screened for and fixed in the womb.

This is a good and funny post

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Mummy films are on par with Indiana Jones films.

I'd agree with this, and it's the only good thing Brendan Fraser has ever done (e: actually he was alright on Scrubs even though his camera gimmick thing was a little annoying). I will also say that I liked the Scorpion King bits and the prequel movie even though The Rock scorpion CGI was pretty terrible looking.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

patonthebach posted:

Rick and Morty is about the only good cartoon made since KOTH. It is no garbage family guy or similar.

F is for Family is pretty good but it's only like 6 episodes long

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

The CGI monkey vine swinging scene was one of the worst things I've ever seen in a movie. The alien stuff was dumb, I didn't mind the fridge part at all cause its loving Indiana Jones where weird poo poo happens but usually it's based around normal humans put in insane and/or arcane supernatural situations. Alien poo poo is just lazy, but Shia lebouf swinging through trees at high speeds like an ape was retarded. It's easily the worst out of all of them

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Indiana Jones: magic is okay, alien magic not.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aramek posted:

Indiana Jones: magic is okay, alien magic not.

I just think any Ancient Aliens plot device is lazy as gently caress and that movie came out way past the point where that would have even have had an impact

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just think any Ancient Aliens plot device is lazy as gently caress and that movie came out way past the point where that would have even have had an impact

But it's a throwback to a time when it would. :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aesop Poprock posted:

The CGI monkey vine swinging scene was one of the worst things I've ever seen in a movie. The alien stuff was dumb, I didn't mind the fridge part at all cause its loving Indiana Jones where weird poo poo happens but usually it's based around normal humans put in insane and/or arcane supernatural situations. Alien poo poo is just lazy, but Shia lebouf swinging through trees at high speeds like an ape was retarded. It's easily the worst out of all of them

The crystal skull also made the movie really dull. Every problem they had was solved by the skull. All these ants are coming! The skull keeps them away. How do we enter this cave? The skull opens it! It actually reminded me of the old Doom games where you use the red key to open the red doors. It's like the script was written by John Romero.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

But it's a throwback to a time when it would. :shrug:

You're making it sound like we actually discovered aliens and they affected our past and we're pals now

If a movie comes out in modern times and it takes place in the past you can't excuse away a plot because they wouldn't have been aware of the obvious trope in the time frame the movie is set in :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'd agree with this, and it's the only good thing Brendan Fraser has ever done (e: actually he was alright on Scrubs even though his camera gimmick thing was a little annoying). I will also say that I liked the Scorpion King bits and the prequel movie even though The Rock scorpion CGI was pretty terrible looking.

The remarkable thing is it looked bad even when the movie came out. I guess it was just a question of time and/or budget. The special effects otherwise were all right I think.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

let that be the last time eugenics rears its ugly head here

Thank god we can get back to the important topics, indiana jones

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pick posted:

Thank god we can get back to the important topics, indiana jones

At least that is interesting on some level instead of the same tired old highschool debate class level arguments about eugenics. Anything that is basically a "summon Jastiger button" issue is probably something really dumb and not worth seriously discussing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Obsession with pop culture is decadent and morally indefensible.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I read something about how there's no such thing as ethical consumption under late stage capitalism?

I think this means we should embrace the unethical-ness of it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

Obsession with pop culture is decadent and morally indefensible.

You definitely have a worldview that leads to lots of unpopular opinions.

"Obsession" with anything is bad, that's why we created a bad word for it that differentiates it from "Liking." Thought I suspect your idea of what "obsession with pop culture" is and mine probably don't line up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

You're making it sound like we actually discovered aliens and they affected our past and we're pals now

If a movie comes out in modern times and it takes place in the past you can't excuse away a plot because they wouldn't have been aware of the obvious trope in the time frame the movie is set in :psyduck:

Fair enough. I don't mind ins too much. :shrug:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

At least that is interesting on some level instead of the same tired old highschool debate class level arguments about eugenics. Anything that is basically a "summon Jastiger button" issue is probably something really dumb and not worth seriously discussing.

Last thing I'll say a bout it, Eugenics is actually really important and I think will become a more serious and pressing moral issue as technology and science allows us to modify genetics for the better. Yeah its obviously easy to be abused and has historically been abused, but that doesn't mean creating a world where Downs Syndrome doesnt' exist isn't better than one where it does and its actually morally incumbent to try to create the former rather than shrug and allow the latter.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

As has been noted so many times, you have a different definition of eugenics than most do. Nobody would argue that preventing things like Downs is bad (unless it involves aborting all fetuses that have it).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

As has been noted so many times, you have a different definition of eugenics than most do. Nobody would argue that preventing things like Downs is bad (unless it involves aborting all fetuses that have it).

Why would the latter be bad?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

forcing people to have abortions is pretty bad

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

You know why. It's a slippery slope when you start defining what is the "right" kind of human. The focus should be on trying to cure things like Downs by prenatal gene therapy, not killing them all off. You'd have to be an idiot to not see how far people would take that idea if they could. It'd start with things like Downs but it would inevitably lead to racial stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Now we're cooking! :munch:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm a rich business mogul who needs a male heir to pass my company down to. Gotta make sure he's straight too, can't have my name go to some gay guy who won't have a real family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm a rich business mogul who needs a male heir to pass my company down to. Gotta make sure he's straight too, can't have my name go to some gay guy who won't have a real family.

Don't Japanese business men adopt adult male heirs for exactly this reason already?