Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ouch, $40 for real? I thought my brainwavez hm5's were extravagant at $20. That can really add to the cost of some headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Still a little back and forth on my ATH-AD700X so far, some days I don't notice them at all and other days they are kind of immediately uncomfortable. Softer cups would help a lot, but the top wings still feel a little odd regardless ...

Also this explains something, apparently the NVX-XPT100 and Brainwavz and Yogas headsets are all made by the same manufacturer (fostex I guess), I was wondering why some of them looked identical to one another. Love those style of cups but the holder on my NVX broke which is why I was replacing them in the first place. The ATH-M50x looks like it has a similar design of cup holder, I wonder if they are as prone to breaking or not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So I'm thinking I'll keep these then. Any recommendations for a mic for these? Since the cord does not appear to be detachable, and I'd prefer to not physically attach something to the cups, maybe something that attaches to the existing cord?
Zalmann has a mic you can clip on the cord. Modmics attach to a magnetized base you stick on your cans. They're more money but better sound and
more practical IMO. Vmoda boompro and clones replace your cord, but I dunno if there's a model compatible with what you have.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I saw a bunch of replacement pads on Amazon/eBay etc but I couldn't find anyone saying anything about who makes quality stuff that won't wear out quickly etc etc. There's stuff like this which looks nice but uh, Unbranded from China doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Any idea if it's hard to replace the pads?

E: Oh, AT does sell replacement pads on their site as well, but it looks like the AD700X pads are out of stock. Can't tell what material they are made out of from the page though. I bet some of the other model pads would work ... like these are for the ATH-A700, are these the original style cups you were talking about?

The A700s are closed headphones and have different pads altogether. They're pleather I think.

The old style AD700 pads were velour instead of the scratchy cloth pads they're using now. If you google image AD700s compared to the X's, you'll see that the older pads were thicker too. In terms of replacement ear pads, these ones from eBay are pretty good.

http://stores.ebay.com/wang-yifei-2009/_i.html?_nkw=Ad700&submit=Search&_sid=987974435

I got the thick "velour" version to replace my lovely AD900X pads. There's also another on that page that looks like the older pads but I can't vouch for their quality. The ones I got are pretty good though.

As for the headband, are the headphones too big on you? People have been using a rubber band to connect the wings together to combat that. I find that the AD700/900 fits me perfectly so can't really help you there.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Need a recommendation for IEMs or earbuds to use while working out. Under 100 would be preferable. Any recommendations?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constellation I posted:

The old style AD700 pads were velour instead of the scratchy cloth pads they're using now. If you google image AD700s compared to the X's, you'll see that the older pads were thicker too. In terms of replacement ear pads, these ones from eBay are pretty good.

http://stores.ebay.com/wang-yifei-2009/_i.html?_nkw=Ad700&submit=Search&_sid=987974435

I got the thick "velour" version to replace my lovely AD900X pads. There's also another on that page that looks like the older pads but I can't vouch for their quality. The ones I got are pretty good though.

As for the headband, are the headphones too big on you? People have been using a rubber band to connect the wings together to combat that. I find that the AD700/900 fits me perfectly so can't really help you there.

Yeah I mentioned that in my first post about them, I used an elastic hair tie to add a tiny bit more tension to the wings and they are just about perfect there now.

So those Thick Velour pads are actually thicker than the stock ones too? That does sound good actually, think I might pick some of those up and try them then.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, keep in mind I'm basing this off of the following:

I own the original AD700 (the ugly purple ones). The pads on that thing was perfect, they were thick, velour and slightly angled.

I saw a good deal on the AD900X a couple of years ago and got it because I wanted less ugly headphones and hey I'm going up a model so it's gotta sound a little better right? When they arrived, I was pretty disappointed that the earpads were some sort of scratchy cloth material and it was a lot thinner. The clamp was tighter and the air wings were hollow and a lot less padding on them.

I'm assuming your AD700X's are pretty much the same thing with different drivers. I looked on Amazon and this guy's pictures do a decent job in showing the differences. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RHJFT1SGEDWI6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009S331VU

Anyway, these are the ones I got and they're pretty good. They're thicker than the stock ones for sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thick-Velour-Ear-Pads-Cushion-ATH-AD-1000-X-2000-X-900-X-700-X-Headphones-/251699464310?var=&hash=item8032df84e7

These look more like the original AD700 earpads that I like, but I can't vouch for them since I never tried it. Not sure if they'd fit on the X's either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Replacement-Cushion-ATH-AD700-AD900-AD400-AD-700-900-Headphone-/251398544394?var=&hash=item8021c2fc61

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

movax posted:

I got a pair of HE-400i for home, but the earpads are bugging me compared to those on my LCD-XC -- do they have full leather versions that are an easy drop in? I think the velour is what's bugging me with these guys.

Somebody did an overly detailed thing about possible replacements that might be helpful to you: https://imgur.com/a/Xjo22

movax
Aug 30, 2008

secret volcano lair posted:

Somebody did an overly detailed thing about possible replacements that might be helpful to you: https://imgur.com/a/Xjo22

Huh, I could just buy a copy of my Audeze pads and toss them on there! Tempting option, I may look into that.

I also found that my Mjolnir 2 order is further delayed until 1/30 because of a parts shortage...awwwww man. :( It's pushing off me moving my Modi/Magni back home with the HE-400i. I have been running those off my desktop's headphone jack output though...and it's still pretty good sounding, as far as things go.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
any opinions on Astro A50's vs A40's or anything comparable? i need a new computer gaming headset.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jack Forge posted:

any opinions on Astro A50's vs A40's or anything comparable? i need a new computer gaming headset.

I just went through the whole research ordeal since I had to replace my gaming headphones. Long story short, the only reason to get a "gaming" headphone is for the convenience factor of having a microphone built in. The sound and microphone quality of anything available out there right now is pretty much hot garbage for what you pay for. If you want the best bang for your buck you are better off getting real headphones + mic. And if you are feeling really frisky, getting a DAC+Amp combo would benefit you even more. This thread over on Headfi has a lot of good information if you want to dig into this more. Or if you are deadset on a "gaming" headphone, get a Sennheiser GAMEONE or Logitech's G933 (Wireless).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Etrips posted:

I just went through the whole research ordeal since I had to replace my gaming headphones. Long story short, the only reason to get a "gaming" headphone is for the convenience factor of having a microphone built in. The sound and microphone quality of anything available out there right now is pretty much hot garbage for what you pay for. If you want the best bang for your buck you are better off getting real headphones + mic. And if you are feeling really frisky, getting a DAC+Amp combo would benefit you even more. This thread over on Headfi has a lot of good information if you want to dig into this more. Or if you are deadset on a "gaming" headphone, get a Sennheiser GAMEONE or Logitech's G933 (Wireless).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Audiotechnica also have some good gaming headsets, which are basically AD700x/AD900x with freakishly good microphones on them. The AD series audiotechnicas are legendary for use in online shooters where you rely on audio cues.

For more budget options, you can't go wrong with the HyperX Cloud ii's. They're actually relatively good headphones for their price.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BurritoJustice posted:

Audiotechnica also have some good gaming headsets, which are basically AD700x/AD900x with freakishly good microphones on them. The AD series audiotechnicas are legendary for use in online shooters where you rely on audio cues.

The AD700/900x do not have microphones on them...? Are you thinking of the M50x or ADG1X? But you are correct, the AD700/900x line is pretty much a good place to start off with and it does not require an amp to run them.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
He's saying that they have headphones with mics on them that are basically AD700X's.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I done goofed boys. The AKG 7XX are dramatically better than anything I used before. The soundstage is sufficiently expansive that I'm doing objectively better in Overwatch because I can hear where enemies are. Now I'm fully into headphones.

As far as music goes, Run the Jewels 3 and ... Like Clockwork are exceptional standouts for their utilizing the soundstage. Overall the quality of the sound is really good, but I think I like the signature (shape? qualia?) on the Sennheiser 518 I have more even though the quality is higher on the 7XX.

Whelp, time to get really psyched for when the Sennheiser 6XX come back up on Massdrop.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

Whelp, time to get really psyched for when the Sennheiser 6XX come back up on Massdrop.

As well you should, but know that you need an amp for them. The hole falls ever deeper.

They should complement the 7xx nicely. Where the 7xx are about soundstage and warmth, the 6xx are about accuracy, neutrality and imaging.

Jack Forge posted:

Let's Talk Headphones IV: Stop loving Buying Gaming Headsets.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Schiit stack I have should do fine for 6XX, yes?

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
I got the HyperX Cloud ii's. Decent cans. Not used to closed type, quite loud. I have a MDR-V700DJ that I used to use with a very old headset mic. Then a lapel mic. My problem with then was they were super uncomfortable after about 45 minutes and more so with glasses on.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Jack Forge posted:

Avoid them. Zeos' guide to gaming headphones is useful if you know what kind of sound you're looking for.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

The Schiit stack I have should do fine for 6XX, yes?

Perfectly, yes. They're quite revealing of the source as well, so if you want to get into tubes at some point they'll pair very well.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Someone recommended these a page back, they're on sale for $60, I just ordered a pair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Coredump posted:

Ouch, $40 for real? I thought my brainwavez hm5's were extravagant at $20. That can really add to the cost of some headphones.

I just ordered two different sets of Brainwavz HM5s (one sheepskin leather and one garish red velour) because buying official replacement earpads for my extremely well used HD600s from Sennheiser would have cost even more still for just one official pair.

So I thought gently caress it. I'm going 3rd party and trying out some different options.

Nice headphones though. I've used them heavily for... I want to say 5 or 6 years now? Basically as-new except for the earpads being nearly completely flattened.

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
My dog just shredded the awesome Klipsch x10s I've been using for the past 5 years. I was thinking of getting something similar or an upgrade:

Budget - 100-300
Source - Pixel
Isolation Requirements - Isolation at least as good as the x10.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - similar to the x10? Unsure how to describe it. Clear with punchy bass?
Past Headphones - I had Etymotic ER6i's before the x10's and they were fantastic.
Preferred Music - Eclectic, a lot of vaporwave and its subgenres.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Someone recommended these a page back, they're on sale for $60, I just ordered a pair
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

The SHP9500 were very good. I'm wearing a pair right now. They're my work headphones, despite being open backed (I need to hear whats going on around me.)
Probably the best bang for your buck headphone below $100. Not counting the Sennheiser 598 or 598c because those aren't usually under $100.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The SHP9500 were very good. I'm wearing a pair right now. They're my work headphones, despite being open backed (I need to hear whats going on around me.)
Probably the best bang for your buck headphone below $100. Not counting the Sennheiser 598 or 598c because those aren't usually under $100.

I'd say the Stratus CB-1s give them a run for their money for best under $100. They are very well built and sound freaking amazing for $69-79 (depending on a sale). I've been using the 598c's for a few weeks for my money I have to go with the CB-1's over the 598's.

They are closed though so it depends on your use case.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MarcusSA posted:

I'd say the Stratus CB-1s give them a run for their money for best under $100. They are very well built and sound freaking amazing for $69-79 (depending on a sale). I've been using the 598c's for a few weeks for my money I have to go with the CB-1's over the 598's.

They are closed though so it depends on your use case.

I forgot about those! I haven't tried them personally, but I recommended them to a friend and he loves them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I forgot about those! I haven't tried them personally, but I recommended them to a friend and he loves them.

Yeah I they are one of the few sets I really do love a lot. They are so dang comfortable too.

They are a little bulky so I don't ever see myself wearing them out and about but in an office or home setting for $100 you really can't go wrong.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
SHP9500's are probably the most comfortable headphones ever other than the MA900's. I love me some feather-light head clamp.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the headband/suspension thing and earpads on my 10-year-old AKG702 headphones is wearing out. is there anywhere I could get replacement parts or refurbished?

also just replaced the first set of tubes on 4.5-year-old my Schitt Valhalla. very impressed with the tube life, considering how much I used the thing.

edit: lol this thing sounds crazy better now that i'm not using worn-rear end tubes.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Looks like I goofed doing my due dilligence when I ordered my Sennheiser 598SE's, because they're actually open back and sound like they leak enough to get me kicked out of the library. Would the 598CS be a good alternative? I really just want to block out people chatting while I'm studying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Smugworth posted:

Looks like I goofed doing my due dilligence when I ordered my Sennheiser 598SE's, because they're actually open back and sound like they leak enough to get me kicked out of the library. Would the 598CS be a good alternative? I really just want to block out people chatting while I'm studying.

The 598Cs have a slightly different tuning (more bass, more treble) and have different drivers. Good headphones, though.

In other news, I got a set of Vivo XE800 IEMs yesterday. They've gotten a lot of love on Head-Fi because they supposedly have the exact same Sony-made 11mm biocellulose drivers as the Vsonic GR07 (a very highly regarded set that costs $100) but you can get the Vivos for ~$20, shipping included.

Guess what? I A/B'ed them against a set of Vsonic GR07s and yes, they do in fact have the same drivers, just with a slightly flatter tuning. Same clarity, same detail but no sibilance. Same impedance, same volume at the same power output.

So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that Head-Fi actually does find a gem every once in a while.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

The 598Cs have a slightly different tuning (more bass, more treble) and have different drivers. Good headphones, though.

In other news, I got a set of Vivo XE800 IEMs yesterday. They've gotten a lot of love on Head-Fi because they supposedly have the exact same Sony-made 11mm biocellulose drivers as the Vsonic GR07 (a very highly regarded set that costs $100) but you can get the Vivos for ~$20, shipping included.

Guess what? I A/B'ed them against a set of Vsonic GR07s and yes, they do in fact have the same drivers, just with a slightly flatter tuning. Same clarity, same detail but no sibilance. Same impedance, same volume at the same power output.

So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that Head-Fi actually does find a gem every once in a while.

Where did you buy them from, aliexpress? I need to replace my Xiaomi Pistons as my commuting headphones because the inline mic is getting wonky, and I think I want to try something different.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

trem_two posted:

Where did you buy them from, aliexpress? I need to replace my Xiaomi Pistons as my commuting headphones because the inline mic is getting wonky, and I think I want to try something different.

Yeah, I bought mine from this seller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...8e-f89816f46992 and they included a very decent hard case. There are even cheaper ones on Aliexpress but i know for a fact that that store is selling authentic headsets.

Just be aware that they are very bass light, but since they're dynamic they can be EQ'd pretty easily. Also if you're buying from China right now nothing is going to get shipped until Feb. 5 due to Chinese New Year.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I heard some Shure SRH1540s and thought they were pretty great.
What else should I be considering instead? Closed backs for work.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Yeah, I bought mine from this seller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...8e-f89816f46992 and they included a very decent hard case. There are even cheaper ones on Aliexpress but i know for a fact that that store is selling authentic headsets.

Just be aware that they are very bass light, but since they're dynamic they can be EQ'd pretty easily. Also if you're buying from China right now nothing is going to get shipped until Feb. 5 due to Chinese New Year.

cool, thanks

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

craptown posted:

My dog just shredded the awesome Klipsch x10s I've been using for the past 5 years. I was thinking of getting something similar or an upgrade:

Budget - 100-300
Source - Pixel
Isolation Requirements - Isolation at least as good as the x10.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - similar to the x10? Unsure how to describe it. Clear with punchy bass?
Past Headphones - I had Etymotic ER6i's before the x10's and they were fantastic.
Preferred Music - Eclectic, a lot of vaporwave and its subgenres.

If you liked your X10s, the X12s are the same thing but better. I went from X10s to X12s in Dec and have been very pleased.

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

Dogen posted:

If you liked your X10s, the X12s are the same thing but better. I went from X10s to X12s in Dec and have been very pleased.

Thanks! Ended up getting GR07 BE's based on reviews and really like the sound. Will probably get the X12s too, if they are just better X10s :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Better construction. Better cabling. I like the remote better. Same driver.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

craptown posted:

Thanks! Ended up getting GR07 BE's based on reviews and really like the sound. Will probably get the X12s too, if they are just better X10s :)

This may be a little late but the GR07 shares a driver with the Vivo XE800 and the latter only costs ~$20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

grack posted:

This may be a little late but the GR07 shares a driver with the Vivo XE800 and the latter only costs ~$20

I saw that and bought those too. I might have an earphone buying problem