Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Anniversary posted:

No drafts. You get one free Forge and a quest for a Diamond chest on completing your first draft (which is worth ~2k gold, a pack, and a card.) I think if you were in the closed beta you might've gotten a free draft?

That must be it because I have a Free draft hanging around but I wanted to get some of the card knowledge first before I used it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure you get a free draft after completing your first forge. You also got free forges and drafts for being in closed beta.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Elblanco posted:

I'm pretty sure you get a free draft after completing your first forge. You also got free forges and drafts for being in closed beta.

I'm an Open Beta reg for the game and I did get a free Forge (I think either around when I completed the campaign or after doing a Gauntlet) and after that I got a quest to do a draft for a Diamond chest, but the draft itself wasn't free. (e: but I have a terrible memory so I could be wrong.)

lazerwolf posted:

That must be it because I have a Free draft hanging around but I wanted to get some of the card knowledge first before I used it up.

There's a tier list for draft picks, but I can't find it right now and its outdated but is still helpful for seeing most of the cardpool - and if that's all you want then http://www.numotgaming.com/cards/ is a searchable visual spoiler.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Is Diamond the highest level for Forge/Gauntlet?

E: Nope, master is. Getting the double damage boss when I'm running Rakano aggro is helpful.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Elblanco posted:

I got an invitation to closed just a few weeks before they moved to open, and I'm pretty sure all I got was the free forge & the diamond chest quest for doing a draft. I definitely didn't get any other free forges or drafts, just the packs or whatever once collections got purged during the beta shift.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Hauki posted:

I got an invitation to closed just a few weeks before they moved to open, and I'm pretty sure all I got was the free forge & the diamond chest quest for doing a draft. I definitely didn't get any other free forges or drafts, just the packs or whatever once collections got purged during the beta shift.

The amount of free forges and drafts you netted depended on your CB progress.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a eta on the next set? Game is still fun but I'm beginning to crave some new cards.

[e] actually have they said how sets are going to work for draft? Is it going to be all new packs or a mix?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So I decided I was tired of 0-3ing drafts with nothing to show for it. So I took the optimal shiftstone pick for almost every pack and ... went 2-3. I'm telling myself the reset helped, but a part of me is really embarrassed that mindless picking made a better deck than attempting to be optimal.

DrManiac posted:

Is there a eta on the next set? Game is still fun but I'm beginning to crave some new cards.

[e] actually have they said how sets are going to work for draft? Is it going to be all new packs or a mix?

As far as I know we don't know either. There was some speculation that Set 2 would come soon but as far I know there's no eta or explanation of how things will work.

Cynic Jester posted:

Is Diamond the highest level for Forge/Gauntlet?

E: Nope, master is. Getting the double damage boss when I'm running Rakano aggro is helpful.

Good to know. Also that sounds super fortuitous.

Shabadu posted:

I just started playing this ... a week ago, and through forge and gauntlet and a draft or two managed to put together a hilarious haunting scream deck. I was short shiftstone so I'm only running 2 Whispering Winds when I should probably play 4, I put 2 tricksters cloaks in their place. Nice to get your infiltrates off against ole sandy. You can probably play this without Direwood Beastcaller but it's such a loving beating when you connect with one. Dark Returning a screamed unit feels real dirty though, I agree.

Speaking of dirty things, West Wind herald looping Mirror Image to make another West Wind Herald has been the funniest thing I've done in a draft so far.

I actually really, really like HauntingScream.dek - it feels really resilient and tricky and I've gotten some wins I probably didn't deserve as far as deck power level goes off of its ability to outplay people. I tried switching to Rakano Aggro and I just don't find it nearly as satisfying or rewarding - partially because of the deck and partially because I'm not great at that style of aggro.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So the ladder reset kicks you all the way down to bronze 3 everytime? Is this to ensure faster varied matchmaking?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Anniversary posted:

I actually really, really like HauntingScream.dek - it feels really resilient and tricky and I've gotten some wins I probably didn't deserve as far as deck power level goes off of its ability to outplay people. I tried switching to Rakano Aggro and I just don't find it nearly as satisfying or rewarding - partially because of the deck and partially because I'm not great at that style of aggro.

playing Feln just gets you a disgusting array of removal for most creatures you care about, and ways to draw them and draw the game out. It can get put in a bad way against steward of the past and sandstorm titan but those matchups aren't just flat dead, you have so much removal.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

The key is recognizing which deck you are playing against, as soon as I see Time cards I start sandbagging both Annihilate, Deathstrike and the transform into a Pig card to counter the Titans and Wasps coming in. If they aren't playing Shimmerpack then only the obelisks can really get you, usually Haunting Screaming back the Gorgon Fanatic giving you life and cards should give you enough gas to finish the game.
When I'm playing my Rakano deck the titans are alot harder to kill since I only run 2x Vanquish and 2x Oblitirate, I should be able to push enough damage after killing one but the Titan feels like a bigger roadblock on Rakanon then on Haunting Nightmare.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lockdar posted:

The key is recognizing which deck you are playing against, as soon as I see Time cards I start sandbagging both Annihilate, Deathstrike and the transform into a Pig card to counter the Titans and Wasps coming in. If they aren't playing Shimmerpack then only the obelisks can really get you, usually Haunting Screaming back the Gorgon Fanatic giving you life and cards should give you enough gas to finish the game.
When I'm playing my Rakano deck the titans are alot harder to kill since I only run 2x Vanquish and 2x Oblitirate, I should be able to push enough damage after killing one but the Titan feels like a bigger roadblock on Rakanon then on Haunting Nightmare.

I know titan is legendary but 5/6 stats for 4 mana is gross

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Koirhor posted:

Was playing Rakano aggro to build shiftstone, now I have 4 Titans and will never look back. Card is busted.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Cynic Jester posted:

Was playing Rakano aggro to build shiftstone, now I have 4 Titans and will never look back. Card is busted.
The problem with it other than being legendary is that most decks where it fits also have a lot of other legendary cards.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

standard.deviant posted:

The problem with it other than being legendary is that most decks where it fits also have a lot of other legendary cards.

I'm durdling around with something similar to http://www.numotgaming.com/pepprs-spicy-deck-techs-xenan-serial-killers/ while I save up more shiftstone for Combrei. Impending Doom masquerades as Titans 5-8 and the deck munches aggro like whoa. lovely control match up unless you get an early beastcallers amulet hit in though, but I see far more aggro than anything else.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Cynic Jester posted:

I'm durdling around with something similar to http://www.numotgaming.com/pepprs-spicy-deck-techs-xenan-serial-killers/ while I save up more shiftstone for Combrei. Impending Doom masquerades as Titans 5-8 and the deck munches aggro like whoa. lovely control match up unless you get an early beastcallers amulet hit in though, but I see far more aggro than anything else.
I feel like that deck got worse with the Dawnwalker nerf (comes in tapped now), and it wasn't amazing before.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Koirhor posted:

It either needs to be 4/5, be 5 (TT), or lose the endurance (I'd prefer it lose the endurance). Its presence basically makes flight school variants worthless, but I don't think the no-fly zone would ever be on the table for removing.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Welp, it happened to me. A bronze chest turned diamond.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

say no to scurvy posted:

Welp, it happened to me. A bronze chest turned diamond.

Feels good, doesn't it?

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Serperoth posted:

Feels good, doesn't it?

Yeah the F2P is really generous. So far I have not put in any money and I can afford to craft foils only.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Super happy that I managed to hit matter both ranked and draft this season, 2 months is a good length of time for me.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Made master in both too, though I decided to 0-3 two straight drafts at the end of the season to drop from top 25 drafter to off the top 100, and only barely managed to make it in constructed. I miss getting the gold infusion from the end of season chests, though. Six diamond chests would give you a lot of drafts to start the new season. 6 packs and 4 foil rares is cool and all, but 12k gold would've gotten me a lot more play and likely more foils once all the drafts had been played. I can't really complain, though, I basically have all the cards I need already. I can build into any deck I want, though I'm keeping the building slower so I only use my shiftstone on animated cards. Already have animated Darudes, Shimmerpacks, and Statuary Maidens.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Got my first 7 win draft today, felt good. Went 6-0 then ran into two guys who drew nothing but flyers before pulling it out. 4 Torches is enough to carry basically any pile of trash it seems.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Looks like there's a "mini" set coming this month.

https://rngeternal.com/2017/01/10/spoiler-season-everybody-panic/

I think it's pretty funny that it can have between 5 and 100 cards. Those spoilers are pretty sweet though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Elblanco posted:

Looks like there's a "mini" set coming this month.

https://rngeternal.com/2017/01/10/spoiler-season-everybody-panic/

I think it's pretty funny that it can have between 5 and 100 cards. Those spoilers are pretty sweet though.

The three mentioned cards are indeed pretty sweet, and at least they're "only" Rares as I'm getting to the point in my collection-building now where I can generally afford to craft whatever Rares I might be missing (which is few). I generally agree with the analysis in the article too. As someone who has probably played more Haunting Scream-style decks than any other, the multiple Infiltrate isn't all that impactful in that style of a deck, but could be interesting for a different archetype. All in all they look decently-stattted and have pretty interesting effects. Let's hope it's more than just 5 cards though :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Just saw an Android update that said they fixed the Promo quest hanging around (locked) once you complete it , assume they fixed it on the Steam version as well. :woop: That was a relatively silly thing to have but ultimately not that bad, so at least it's fixed now.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Love watching Kibler stream this game he just seems so much more engaged.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I learned about this game today and while I'm still enjoying the tutorial campaign here's a quick question: How do you get rid of weapons on minions? They stuck through silence and polymorph effects so that seems pretty powerful at first glance

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

I learned about this game today and while I'm still enjoying the tutorial campaign here's a quick question: How do you get rid of weapons on minions? They stuck through silence and polymorph effects so that seems pretty powerful at first glance

Yeah, I had the same surprise. A couple cards destroy attachments, which include weapons and curses. Otherwise permafrost is a 1 mana hard removal too I guess?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I still need to finish the last faction so I take it with a grain of salt but it seems weird to make them so resilient seeing how cheap stat spikes quickly topple the board math. Which seems real potent when your interaction with the board is limited like that. Dunno. It was fun to make my guys hulk out with that green armor card but then it also was weird when I turned a guy into a 1/1 frog only for that frog to pick up the two axes that guy had on him and get buff again

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I had the same surprise. A couple cards destroy attachments, which include weapons and curses. Otherwise permafrost is a 1 mana hard removal too I guess?

It was also surprising to me, and there's way less attachment hate than there is just stun/removal. Silences will also silence the attachments (weapons, generally speaking) on a unit as well though. So if a weapon has warcry or some other text, silencing the unit it is attached to will also silence the weapon.

Tin Tim posted:

I still need to finish the last faction so I take it with a grain of salt but it seems weird to make them so resilient seeing how cheap stat spikes quickly topple the board math. Which seems real potent when your interaction with the board is limited like that. Dunno. It was fun to make my guys hulk out with that green armor card but then it also was weird when I turned a guy into a 1/1 frog only for that frog to pick up the two axes that guy had on him and get buff again
I think the weapons are generally slightly overcosted for the stats/effects they provide to counterbalance it somewhat. Also the fact that they have to go on a unit limits them somewhat as well as removal of that unit essentially destroying the weapon as well means they're not as powerful as you may think. It is an interesting and different interaction to like Hearthstone, for example.

Other "weird" interactions to be aware of if you're coming from Hearthstone:
- silence doesn't affect health/attack, either from buffs or attachments
- when a unit dies or is in some other way removed from the board, it retains whatever buffs/debuffs it had (but not attachments), so if a unit is normally a 1/1 and is buffed to a 2/2 and dies it is now a 2/2 that is just sitting in your Void. If you have a way of bringing it back, it will be a 2/2 still (for the same cost, if you have to play it from hand again)
- Summon effects are different from Battlecries in Hearthstone, they're more analogous to the "when ___ is summoned" effects in Hearthstone - you don't have to directly play the card from hand for the Summon effect to trigger

And also, weapons are grouped into this group of things called "attachments" because there are other things that count as well - relic weapons that your character can have, relics that your character can equip, and I think the only other thing would be "Curses", which includes Permafrost. So if a unit is Permafrosted, it actually has an attachment on it that keeps it stunned but that attachment can be silenced!

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 11, 2017

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I was feeling pretty good about my triple Rakano Artisan/6 relic weapon draft, until I ran into someone with 6x Static Bolt, 4x Feeding Time. /wrist

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Hauki posted:

Yeah, if there's two things that bug me about the game it's that you have to have cards to specifically target attachments, and that cards resurrected from the void or returned to their hand keep all their bonus stats/effects.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hauki posted:

a few notes: silence removes all weapon/curse effects, but not their stats. When I played there were more than a few times that I played Valkyrie Enforcer and Silenced my own Permafrosted dude. Secondly, you can't permafrost Sandstorm Titan because it has vigilanceendurance

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

MisterZimbu posted:

Yeah, if there's two things that bug me about the game it's that you have to have cards to specifically target attachments, and that cards resurrected from the void or returned to their hand keep all their bonus stats/effects.

I like that cards have persistent effects. It opens up a ton of design space, which you couldn't really do in a paper game due to memory issues.

Silence is an effect with a very clear result. It empties the text box of the target. That is all it does. The issue arises from people who have experience with Hearthstone, where Silence does that and so much more.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the heads up. Getting on top of mechanics like that is a good step towards gettin gud.

My new player experience has been mostly positive so far. The tutorial campaign is solid enough and the starter decks seemed okayish to play. I won my first two ranked matches with the red starter against other starter decks and then suddenly got owned a bunch by people with actual cards and combos so that wasn't pretty. A key thing I noticed about the starters was that they lack aoe and have very few cards with initiative so yeah it took a few games to get the third win for the quest. Then I flunked out at 2 with the same deck in gauntlet but at least I got 5 on my first forge which is a sweet mode tbh. The f2p model seems to be pretty generous and the shop prices look fair at a quick glance so yeah I'm down with that.

Is there an info dump of sorts for newbies? Like about what cards to craft/break or with pauper decks and stuff like that

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

These are things I love about this game because it makes it special and allows lots of plays/tricks you don't see in other games. Most things are properly costed and the rick of removal killing a lot of birds with one stone makes weapons a risky proposition, as they should be.

I'd be happy if more colours had something that could deal with relics though.

e: https://rngeternal.com/ has a lot of new player stuff mixed in with the deck analysis.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Osmosisch posted:

I'd be happy if more colours had something that could deal with relics though.

Yeah, both Eternal Hourglass and Xenan Obelisk are ballbusters.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, both Eternal Hourglass and Xenan Obelisk are ballbusters.

Xenan Obelisk is weird in that it doesn't actually play all that well in Xenan decks. It is the primary reason I switched over to Combrei as it makes your long game much, much better.

Attachment removal is just not worth playing in ranked, as you'll often run into decks were it is blanked, and the percentage you gain against cards like Obelisk and other relics is not worth the loss against everything else. Unit attachments are better dealt with by hard removal. Tournament decks benefit greatly from them, especially tournaments with sideboards. I'm hoping for a better Ranked system with Bo3 with sideboarding, but I'm not expecting it any time soon. Until something like that gets implemented, linear decks that focus on their own gameplan instead of interacting with the opponents will keep on being a much better choice for retaining a good winrate in ranked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Hey guys. Am I completely crazy or is there no way to look at your Forge deck after you draft it? Can't find it for the life of me.