Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

When you end up using nothing but vibrokhopesh anyways it's not that bad to have. Free point of accuracy per skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

When you end up using nothing but vibrokhopesh anyways it's not that bad to have. Free point of accuracy per skill.

it looks like he started as a praetorian, and getting the vibrokhopesh as a true man is pretty hard without some good luck, which may happen with the drops he got already. but against cragmenches or even crabs, a cudgel or axe will do better.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 10, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So the quills mutation claims to increase you number of quills by 80-120 per upgrade, and this appears to be false and the range is much wider. I noticed it by chance when and thought I got around 40-50 for one upgrade. So I made a new guy, and I've gotten 121 for my first upgrade. Restarted and the first upgrade for that guy was 143 quills, second was 62.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 11, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was bored so I tested the effect of Ego on merchant buy/sell prices. Results here: http://cavesofqud.wikia.com/wiki/Attributes#Notes_6

Short version is at +0 Ego items the overhead of bartering one item for another item of technically equivalent value is 2.5 times the value of the item, at +4 the overhead is equal to the value, and at +9 the overhead is 1/10th of the value.

How much a merchant charges when he sells an item suffers from significant diminishing returns as you increase in Ego (which in turn means that a negative ego REALLY hurts when you want to buy stuff) but, weirdly, the price you receive when you sell stuff to a merchant increases linearly until the final +8 to +9 step, at which point it gets cut off by the 95% cap.

Ego bonuses above +9 do nothing, making Snake Oiler completely worthless if you expect your Ego to reach 32 or higher.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm bad enough at math that this didn't occur to me till now, but: merchant buy price percentages are the inverse of the sell price percentage.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

ZypherIM posted:

So the quills mutation claims to increase you number of quills by 80-120 per upgrade, and this appears to be false and the range is much wider. I noticed it by chance when and thought I got around 40-50 for one upgrade. So I made a new guy, and I've gotten 121 for my first upgrade. Restarted and the first upgrade for that guy was 143 quills, second was 62.

I see the bug. I'll fix it for this week.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also, Unormal, you monster, why does Intelligence give 4 SP per point when every skill costs a multiple of five

WHY

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, Unormal, you monster, why does Intelligence give 4 SP per point when every skill costs a multiple of five

WHY

*points at hand of luke*

I'm just a friendly code big bird.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

hand of luke posted:

I see the bug. I'll fix it for this week.

Sweet! Only pulling 40 for an upgrade feels terrible, the tighter range for more consistency feels pretty important at least to me, as that means quill spray increases power at a more consistent rate.

Also realized I did one of those things where you're typing 2 thoughts and they turn into 1 sentence, and when you re-read it your mind fixes it. One of my sentences in what you quoted is terrible haha.

Does anyone have experience trying to make a heavy tinkering based character work? I haven't mucked with it much, but I wonder if things like mines/turrets can actually work or if they're a bit of a skill trap.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Do photosynthesizers gain any benefit from eating food? I thought it was straight-up disabled in older versions, but I can't remember for sure, and it's apparently possible now.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I was suckered into buying this on a whim, but it is amazingly hard. I die at level 3 consistently, trying to find one of the rust caves for the dude in the starting town who wants an artifact. Guess I get to read more guides!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

press < to get to the world map from the surface level

though sometimes it's fun to tool around without it

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

resistentialism posted:

press < to get to the world map from the surface level

though sometimes it's fun to tool around without it

Yeah, I figured that out. The pop up is super helpful. I still die to a tortoise. My double-muscled furry regenerating super-strength mutant warden with a longsword doesn't seem to do super well though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tortoise is doing better?

BE A TORTOISE

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Yeah, I figured that out. The pop up is super helpful. I still die to a tortoise. My double-muscled furry regenerating super-strength mutant warden with a longsword doesn't seem to do super well though.

long swords are underpowered currently. use an axe or mace. if you have high agility though, short swords are very powerful.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

long swords are underpowered currently. use an axe or mace. if you have high agility though, short swords are very powerful.

It's what I start with, but I'll try to swap it out for an axe.

Holy poo poo, I just stumbled onto a fulcrete structure. Then was promptly killed by a traipsing mortar.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 11, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

It's what I start with, but I'll try to swap it out for an axe.

Holy poo poo, I just stumbled onto a fulcrete structure. Then was promptly killed by a traipsing mortar.

i should probably clarify too, axes and clubs are better once you get their skills. don't switch out the longsword until you put some points into them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I think marauder might be the best "newbie" starting background. It gives you axes and butchery, which avoid 2 problem areas (long swords being wonk and food shortages during long travel). Carapace is great because you get a solid AC bonus, probably better than most armor you're going to find early on. I like night vision a lot as well, since otherwise you're using the off-hand or near-by slot for light. I'd grab 16 in each stat at least, though once you know what you're doing you can drop those down but for a newer player having 10 ego or something is probably going to just murder him.

You can do 16 for will and ego, 18 in the rest, and start with 20 in str (from marauder), carapace, nightvision, and have 7 points left for mutations.

edit: also, there are 3 chests in joppa you can loot if you close the door behind you before you open them. This can give you some great things, or basically just let you buy all the vinewafers in town depending on your luck.

sometimes a snapjaw will spawn with a grenade and do 20+ damage to you, so sometimes you're just hosed.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dude who wrote the Steam guide to being an Esper didn't write out the drat character code :argh:

Anyway, here it is, with the details:

BAEEMMMUABDCDJDL

Mutated Human Apostle

Clairvoyance
Force Wall
Light Manipulation 

Stats:
S: 10
A: 10
T: 18
I: 18
W: 18
E: 26

I commented on the dude's guide with this info, maybe he'll add it.

Hats off, Unormal/Hand of Luke, for this "character code" feature, because it's fantastic. :toot:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

You can do 16 for will and ego, 18 in the rest, and start with 20 in str (from marauder), carapace, nightvision, and have 7 points left for mutations.

Don't do this. Never not usually you want to max your main damage score at character creation, and don't put points in willpower ever unless you're an Esper. (And even then it depends on your build.)

Ego is also pretty dubious if you aren't taking any mental mutations, but it can be nice to not take such a hit at the stores. On the other hand, once you get good, water is incredibly plentiful, and a 24 STR monstrosity can carry a lot more loot to buy stuff with anyways.

e: If you take Double-Muscled instead of just straight pumping strength you can afford to shift some points around, but the movement penalty is dangerous unless you also take the skill that makes you walk faster and then you're already 9 MP deep.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 11, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hats off, Unormal/Hand of Luke, for this "character code" feature, because it's fantastic. :toot:

Agreed. Unfortunately the thread hasn't really taken advantage of it. We should have a whole list of build codes in the OP.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Here's a good axe turtle build: BEUOMMEEBCBEBOBPB1CB

Max Carapace first, then Double-Muscled and Multiple Legs to taste depending on the equipment you find and how much strength you need to get the max benefit. The fun thing about this build is you don't actually need to pump STR on it (except via mutation) to hit the STR cap for one-handed battleaxes of the highest quality material by level 24, so those points can go to AGI or TGH instead.

Amphibious can be Analgesia if you're not comfortable with water management (ditch Thick Fur) but the sooner you figure out the cycle of looting and returning to town (and how much water to carry), the sooner Amphibious becomes free points.

On the other hand, here's probably the easiest build in the game to do well with: BBDWMMEMBIBPB2CBDX

Freezing Hands lets you kill monsters way above your weight class, agility tanking makes you nearly untouchable, teleportation is a get-out-of-jail free card.

Max Freezing Hands then Triple Jointed then put points in Teleportation if you want, it reduces the cooldown.

Your very first skill should be Shank, no matter what, because until that happens you won't be able to hurt anything. That said since you're starting as an Arconaut there's a very high probably you'll be able to complete Argyve's quests and hit level 2 before you leave Joppa. After that take Jab and Rejoinder, Butchery (and Skilled Butchery if you want), the Dual Wielding tree, Tinker I and Disassemble for item mods, and then whatever you want.

All your skill ups go to AGI. If you stack +DV equipment you'll quickly reach a point where 99% of the enemies in the game can't hit you except on a natural 20 and kill themselves by trying, and any enemy you can't stab to death, you can freeze to death. Freezing Hands is so good I had to stop taking it because it's such a crutch, you can kill Slumberlings with, like, a level 5-6 character with it, it's insane.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

For anyone who cares/since I don't know how this works: closing this thread and linking to a new OP sometime on Monday 1/16.

In the meanwhile: so many build options. My next plan is literally an all-iron-dagger build, but I'm going to tinker every dagger to be flaming/freezing/electrified, which I'm pretty sure will actually make them more damaging than anything else when combined with Jab and Dual-Wield against anything I don't already perforate for overpenetration (and even then, not really sure). Maybe even bronze daggers if it lowers the bit cost of tinkering, because I think I can get away with limiting them to 4-bit mod costs iirc. Even just two mods may be enough damage, especially if I keep trying for high mod rolls (if they even have a spread, I forget if they do or not).

All I know is that my electrostabber build killed every drat thing ever, including monosludges in the rainbow wood, so I'm definitely doing that again in some form. Possibly four-armed if I can mod bucklers to be flexiweaved, cause this is sure as hell going to be a TJ build.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

bazomatic posted:

For anyone who cares/since I don't know how this works: closing this thread and linking to a new OP sometime on Monday 1/16.

I'm sure you have a valid reason that I'm not thinking of, but what's the point of starting a new thread?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bazomatic posted:

Wouldn't it be better to do things in the reverse order? :v: Anyway, why do we need a new thread? What's wrong with this one?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyone got any good, all-purpose tinker builds? i realize i haven't spent way too much time with them in the past.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
This is going to be a dumb question, but how do i use stairs (at red rock)? I am pressing space and that doesnt work and I have an 86 key keyboard (no numpad) and plus and minus do nothing it seems.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

strategery posted:

This is going to be a dumb question, but how do i use stairs (at red rock)? I am pressing space and that doesnt work and I have an 86 key keyboard (no numpad) and plus and minus do nothing it seems.

> and < should work for stairs

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

On top of what everyone else said, turtles are legit scary. They're not the nastiest thing that can show up in desert canyons/rustwells but they're a cut above the scrubs. No shame in activating Sprint and hauling rear end to go kill more snapjaws until you're a little stronger.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Bug report: With both Temporal Fugue + Burgeoning, plants created by the time clones are hostile to the player.

Also, the dreadroots produced by the player's own Burgeoning can still scare you, which can be annoying/dangerous but might still be intended.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyone got any good, all-purpose tinker builds? i realize i haven't spent way too much time with them in the past.

Any other good build, and when you hit 19 INT, buy Tinker I and Dissassemble, maybe Scavenger if you want.

There, now you have 95% of the utility of the entire skill tree.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

hand of luke posted:

I'm sure you have a valid reason that I'm not thinking of, but what's the point of starting a new thread?

I... Don't know! Good point, just updating the OP, that's easier.

E: at one point I thought "oh a bunch of stuff changed since this was posted" but meh

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wouldn't it be better to do things in the reverse order? :v: Anyway, why do we need a new thread? What's wrong with this one?

Look, I don't think too good, ok?! Updated the OP finally.

Has anyone played with Home Recoiler, a mod that lets you set multiple custom recoiler locations?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728586071&searchtext=

I haven't yet, reeeeal tempted to though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Excellent updated OP, OP!

Mind popping this code in after the posted Esper guide link?

BAEEMMMUABDCDJDL

I posted it earlier on this page, if you want the extra info.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is there support for negative resistance values? I had an idea for a mod with equipment that was particularly conductive or flammable, but provided better than average AV or DV at the risk of taking additional pain if that fire ant shows up.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there support for negative resistance values? I had an idea for a mod with equipment that was particularly conductive or flammable, but provided better than average AV or DV at the risk of taking additional pain if that fire ant shows up.

Yeah, resistances range from -100 to 100. It probably works? We don't use negative resistances typically, but it should? work.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't do this. Never not usually you want to max your main damage score at character creation, and don't put points in willpower ever unless you're an Esper. (And even then it depends on your build.)

Ego is also pretty dubious if you aren't taking any mental mutations, but it can be nice to not take such a hit at the stores. On the other hand, once you get good, water is incredibly plentiful, and a 24 STR monstrosity can carry a lot more loot to buy stuff with anyways.

e: If you take Double-Muscled instead of just straight pumping strength you can afford to shift some points around, but the movement penalty is dangerous unless you also take the skill that makes you walk faster and then you're already 9 MP deep.

Also, Willpower can become a drop stat on most mutants if you dip 2 points into mental mirror. Always drop will and pick up mental mirror!!! A mutant running freeze hands+regen+mental mirror is a pretty solid mutant.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Did you know the best way to beat Golgotha is to phase through a wall inject a rubbergum and a honey hulk salve and fall down a elevator shaft?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Would still be cool to update the thread title imo

I liked the 'good clones & bad clones dueling with flamers in a tarpit'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
A proposal: give Tinkers a one-tier reduction in bit requirements when trying to modify anything they know how to make - so instead of a 5 you could use a 4 to put a drum on that sweet carbine. That would be kind of neat I think, especially since it might let full-on supertinkers get into some delightfully crazy poo poo involving heavily customized phase cannons and the like.