Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Larrymer posted:

I believe it's the 18V One+ battery, Lithium ion. But we've only got one charger and one battery. Not against getting another but if the Ryobi is decent then it would save some money I suppose.

If you've only got one battery, you aren't invested in it. Switch to something pro-grade. We've got Ryobi for lawn stuff (hedge trimmer and strimmer), but it's pretty weak. Makita for everything big, and Milwaukee 12V for small stuff. If you wait for the sales (check garagejournal or Toolguyd), you can make out like a bandit. I picked up 2 spare kits with brushless drills/impact drivers and 2x 5Ah batteries plus chargers for like $125 each a few years ago. I don't need the drills/drivers, but the batteries were worth more than the kit price. I've now got 7 batteries (3x3Ah, 4x 5Ah), and enough chargers and spare tools to have a set permanently live at my mom's. My original set was a wedding present back in 2009, and everything is still going strong. We've done a complete first-floor remodel, tons of trim, built shipping crates, and built 2 firewood sheds... nothing has given me any trouble. The drill chuck doesn't always tighten up on the first spin, but considering how many holes in masonry I've drilled with the hammerdrill setting, I can't blame it... I should buy an SDS hammerdrill...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TotalLossBrain posted:

Holy poo poo. This CEO of Sears (Lampert) also owns the outfit which loans billions of money to Sears. No matter how this goes, he isn't going to lose.

lmao

To be fair the company that owns Sears probably threw out their old management when they took it over and put in their own people thinking they could do a better job. Good luck to them, retail in general seems hosed these days.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sharkytm posted:

If you've only got one battery, you aren't invested in it. Switch to something pro-grade. We've got Ryobi for lawn stuff (hedge trimmer and strimmer), but it's pretty weak. Makita for everything big, and Milwaukee 12V for small stuff. If you wait for the sales (check garagejournal or Toolguyd), you can make out like a bandit. I picked up 2 spare kits with brushless drills/impact drivers and 2x 5Ah batteries plus chargers for like $125 each a few years ago. I don't need the drills/drivers, but the batteries were worth more than the kit price. I've now got 7 batteries (3x3Ah, 4x 5Ah), and enough chargers and spare tools to have a set permanently live at my mom's. My original set was a wedding present back in 2009, and everything is still going strong. We've done a complete first-floor remodel, tons of trim, built shipping crates, and built 2 firewood sheds... nothing has given me any trouble. The drill chuck doesn't always tighten up on the first spin, but considering how many holes in masonry I've drilled with the hammerdrill setting, I can't blame it... I should buy an SDS hammerdrill...

Fair enough. I'm not in a huge hurry, it's more a "nice to have." My garage has poo poo electric service (2 outlets, 1 on ceiling for garage door opener, other is only 15amp) so air tools aren't great unless I invest in fixing that. My compressor/welder always trip the breaker. I keep watching this thread for deals but I'll keep an eye on the other sites as well.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
If you are starting out on a new cordless system I would get this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's a pretty drat good deal and I like the drill and impact for 99% of stuff. The impact seems as good as the full size brushless. I can't verify it but I think the drill seems to have more of a torque cut off than the full size brushless option, it's still really nice and light though. You might scoff at the 2AH batteries, but they are good enough for 99% of homeowner poo poo and if you use them to work on cars, they are 3/4" thinner than the 3AH and up batts. I can get that 1/2 impact and right angle impact in more places than the full size batteries and of course they have the same amount of kick.

Then, as my needs expand I would probably take advantage of that buy two bare tools get a 4AH battery Makita vendors run a couple times a year.

I bought that giant gently caress off 1/2 Makita impact:
http://www.toolup.com/Makita-XWT08Z-18V-LXT-Li-Ion-Brushless-High-Torque-1-2-Sq-Drive-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only
And its loving awesome but I don't use it a whole lot. Really, for my house and cars its more of a novelty tool. It's just way too much torque.

This is my favorite gun (already posted here):
http://www.toolup.com/Makita-XWT02Z...2IKkaAqsP8P8HAQ
Everyone should own this gun.

And I've been keen on this
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XLT02Z-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery/dp/B00NOVO8Q4
this with the 2ah batts can get a ton of places and makes enough torque to get stuff done.

And the 36v blower is pretty good too, nice for blowing out a shop/garage/house, but it does kill batts. Haven't tried any of their outdoor stuff yet, but their 4 stoke engines are good if their hot saw is any indication.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mcqueen posted:

If you are starting out on a new cordless system I would get this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's a pretty drat good deal and I like the drill and impact for 99% of stuff. The impact seems as good as the full size brushless. I can't verify it but I think the drill seems to have more of a torque cut off than the full size brushless option, it's still really nice and light though. You might scoff at the 2AH batteries, but they are good enough for 99% of homeowner poo poo and if you use them to work on cars, they are 3/4" thinner than the 3AH and up batts. I can get that 1/2 impact and right angle impact in more places than the full size batteries and of course they have the same amount of kick.

Then, as my needs expand I would probably take advantage of that buy two bare tools get a 4AH battery Makita vendors run a couple times a year.

I bought that giant gently caress off 1/2 Makita impact:
http://www.toolup.com/Makita-XWT08Z-18V-LXT-Li-Ion-Brushless-High-Torque-1-2-Sq-Drive-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only
And its loving awesome but I don't use it a whole lot. Really, for my house and cars its more of a novelty tool. It's just way too much torque.

This is my favorite gun (already posted here):
http://www.toolup.com/Makita-XWT02Z...2IKkaAqsP8P8HAQ
Everyone should own this gun.

And I've been keen on this
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XLT02Z-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery/dp/B00NOVO8Q4
this with the 2ah batts can get a ton of places and makes enough torque to get stuff done.

And the 36v blower is pretty good too, nice for blowing out a shop/garage/house, but it does kill batts. Haven't tried any of their outdoor stuff yet, but their 4 stoke engines are good if their hot saw is any indication.

LOL on the fuckoff big impact, that's why I don't have one. I've got the XWT02Z on my list. Good size, decent power, adjustable output.

The XLT rightangle impact isn't very good. My FiL has one for driving lags in narrow cabinets, and it's OK for that... it's overpriced, and the head doesn't lock like a normal ratchet, so you can't use it like an air ratchet. I've got the 12V Milwaukee ratchet for that exact reason. Combined with the Hackzall and the little drill and impact, and I've got a good set of compact tools that don't weigh a ton and have enough power for everything small. Big project? Bring out the Makita stuff.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I've found the right angle impact driver to be a pretty good tool. I've taken some temp stairs out with them and it hits hard enough. Still figuring out if i like the 3/8ths impact. I've only done a job or two with them. No returns with either.

In other very short reviews the Mak laser tape is pretty ho hum. Have 6 they all have worked fine over the year.

The Mak cross point laser is really good. Have 8 and people seem to like them. Better and less expensive than the pls or equivalent. Better return policy at the very least.

In non Makita stuff I bought a skill 10" table saw to test. Really enjoying it.
https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT70WT-01-Portable-Drive-Capacity/dp/B01AX4B7I6
Great fence. Good power. Very small for a 10" table saw. Loud as gently caress but whatever. If you are looking for a smaller job site table saw I think this is a pretty good one. Love how the accessories stow and the roll cage.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
After wearing out a few cheapo €30 angle grinders over the years and having one die recently, I just got one of these:

Makita 9565C. Except for a few details that are just a little bit nicer I don't expect there to be a big difference in using it. Hopefully it will last though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Anyone here have the CAT-branded rechargeable LED work light from Costco? It looks pretty decent, $30 regular price, and I think I saw it on sale once. The things that give me pause are that it has a real long charge time, and doesn't charge from USB or anything convenient like that, and some people have found the battery charge indicator to be somewhat inaccurate. But it still seems like a good deal, and Costco is known for having a pretty lenient return policy.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

Anyone here have the CAT-branded rechargeable LED work light from Costco? It looks pretty decent, $30 regular price, and I think I saw it on sale once. The things that give me pause are that it has a real long charge time, and doesn't charge from USB or anything convenient like that, and some people have found the battery charge indicator to be somewhat inaccurate. But it still seems like a good deal, and Costco is known for having a pretty lenient return policy.

its pretty drat good. I bought one for myself and my friend, he did some dpf sensor work to his F-350, put the light up on the exhaust pipe, forgot it for a day and drove about 50 miles with it up there. Somehow it didn't fall off and out, and survived the trip and the heat just fine. Seems to live up to CAT's reputation.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm planning on hard-mounting my 12v air compressor in the engine bay of my Jeep. It's a Viaair 400p portable. My plan is to bolt it down in the engine bay, run fused wiring to the battery, and run an air hose to each side of the Jeep. I want to mount quick connects on each side so that the hose can be taken from side to side and plugged in easily. A few questions:

To split the air I think I can use a "T" fitting of some sort, from the output of the pump to each side of the jeep. I'll run air hose to the fender where I'll have the quick connects installed.

- What type of hose would best resist the heat of an engine bay? Silicone?
- I think if I leave the compressor in the ON position, I can add a switch somewhere else along the + wiring run wherever is most convenient - any problem with that?
- Any problem with just chopping off the battery clamps that came with the compressor and crimping/heat-shrinking on some ring terminals?

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most truck supply stores like fort gary(i don't know what the american equivalent would be) will have large truck air lines and fittings. they'll show you how to use the fittings as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No comment on the hose, but you're fine on the switch and the ring terminals. Depending on where you want to have the actual switch located, consider using a relay in the circuit instead.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Use DOT truck air brake hose. Just keep it away from the exhaust and you'll be fine. Pretty much any parts store should have it.

That's what all the airbag suspension people use.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

Yes, it's terrible, don't buy it.

-Charger light indicator is useless.

-Charges from proprietary 5v dc barrel jack instead of universal 5v dc micro USB. Stupid stupid stupid, can't emphasize how stupid this is.

-No threaded base to attach to a tripod, so no way to point the light in any useful manner to illuminate your project, especially because the beam is so concentrated.

I've tried using it working in my attic, on my cars, in the basement, night time woodworking outdoors, and in every instance it's loving useless. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating it is to use. So much potential, so much crap.

For ~30$, buy the black diamond storm instead.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yes, it's terrible, don't buy it.

-Charger light indicator is useless.

-Charges from proprietary 5v dc barrel jack instead of universal 5v dc micro USB. Stupid stupid stupid, can't emphasize how stupid this is.

-No threaded base to attach to a tripod, so no way to point the light in any useful manner to illuminate your project, especially because the beam is so concentrated.

I've tried using it working in my attic, on my cars, in the basement, night time woodworking outdoors, and in every instance it's loving useless. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating it is to use. So much potential, so much crap.

For ~30$, buy the black diamond storm instead.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. I already have a headlamp, I just wanted something I could position under a car or at a workbench for flood lighting. I had heard good things about the Snap-On corded one that usually sits next to it on the shelf at Costco, but I wanted something cordless so I don't have to drag an extension out under the car or whatever.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait until something else comes along in my budget (which is not much).

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
What is a decent air impact gun and air ratchet that isn't too expensive? I'd like to keep it under $250-300 for both if possible. They're going to be used with a 3.7hp 60 gallon compressor (10-12cfm).

Also, any other recommended tools or accessories? I just bought the compressor so I don't really have anything to go along with it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rye Bread posted:

What is a decent air impact gun and air ratchet that isn't too expensive? I'd like to keep it under $250-300 for both if possible. They're going to be used with a 3.7hp 60 gallon compressor (10-12cfm).

Also, any other recommended tools or accessories? I just bought the compressor so I don't really have anything to go along with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Ingersol...0899090&vxp=mtr

Ingersoll Rand 2135 Ti2 Max

A few of us here got some from Jhnny Thndrs that came out of a shop somewhere if I remember correctly. I got 3 of them, 2 needed rebuilt. All of them are still going strong and are awesome, do-anything guns that take a ton of abuse.

Rebuild kit is ~$40 and is very easy to disassemble/reassemble.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Seminal Flu posted:

A few of us here got some from Jhnny Thndrs that came out of a shop somewhere if I remember correctly. I got 3 of them, 2 needed rebuilt. All of them are still going strong and are awesome, do-anything guns that take a ton of abuse.

Thanks, I just picked that up!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seminal Flu posted:

Confirmed, I got one too and still use it all the time with no issues.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've barely had an excuse to use my $10 Craftsman 3/4 750 ft-lb impact and I haven't even touched my HF 1" 2500 ft-lb one yet :sigh:

I think the HF one will see its first use parting out my XJ in the spring and/or working on the 5 ton.

e: I normally do not buy craftsman these days since I'm holding off till we see how the demise of sears and stanley B&D's purchase of craftsman goes down, but it was seriously $10 at a yardsale and needed $30 in gaskets and O-rings to fix it, that's well below the level of cash I'll gamble for a 750 ft-lb impact that might work and has almost every part available aftermarket online to repair it for the next 50 years.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 13, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for cheap(ish) OBD II readers that are compatible with Torque? I saw a BAFX recommended earlier in the thread but they won't ship to Australia.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Confirmed, I got one too and still use it all the time with no issues.

Same here. The only job it couldn't quite hack was the wheel studs on my C10, which were an order of magnitude worse than any other wheel stud I've ever done. Also, it was probably more my compressor's fault since it would dump from 150psi to "start refill cycle" pretty drat quickly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same here. The only job it couldn't quite hack was the wheel studs on my C10, which were an order of magnitude worse than any other wheel stud I've ever done. Also, it was probably more my compressor's fault since it would dump from 150psi to "start refill cycle" pretty drat quickly.

Yeah same. Whenever I start questioning its abilities, I just wait for the tank to come back up to pressure, and everything is good again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slothrop posted:

Any recommendations for cheap(ish) OBD II readers that are compatible with Torque? I saw a BAFX recommended earlier in the thread but they won't ship to Australia.

Just get the ELM 327 dongle with the best reviews on amazon.

All you need it to be is reliable.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Had to angle grind a ducked nut off a Ford transit camper for the mother in law today... loving stupid previous owner decided to spray the wheels silver whilst on the van and totally covered the threads. I managed to round off the 19mm nut trying to crack it off. Is there a go to uk impact. Cheap as poss so presuming corded.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

Had to angle grind a ducked nut off a Ford transit camper for the mother in law today... loving stupid previous owner decided to spray the wheels silver whilst on the van and totally covered the threads. I managed to round off the 19mm nut trying to crack it off. Is there a go to uk impact. Cheap as poss so presuming corded.
I assume the £45 ones on ebay are at least worth a try if cheap is the order of the day.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Nearly four months after ordering it, I finally got my Precision Instruments M1R200H 1/4" torque wrench. Was backordered from manufacturer. Have had my C3FR250F and M2FR100F 1/2" and 3/8" units for months now.

Stoked to be done buying torque wrenches for the foreseeable future.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Can any of you goons recommend a good headlamp? I hate the harbor frite version because they get erectile dysfunction. I want one that's small and rechargeable. Small because I work on cars on the ground some times and the big ones get caught on car underbelly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

clam ache posted:

Can any of you goons recommend a good headlamp? I hate the harbor frite version because they get erectile dysfunction. I want one that's small and rechargeable. Small because I work on cars on the ground some times and the big ones get caught on car underbelly.

Someone in this thread was recommending the Black Diamond Storm, but I did a little research and saw the Black Diamond Spot consistently recommended for like $25.

The the power tap thing is kind of dumb, but it's a really solid light. Bright, dimmable, not too heavy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like the black diamond stuff too. I have a storm but the spot is a bit more compact.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just took the plunge and ordered a Ranger Quickjack BL-5000SLX for my garage. I don't have the room for a more proper lift but I really like the portability of it and it should be more than high to drop the motor on the 911 which is probably the biggest job I'd ever do with it. I went with 110V although I was really torn and considered the DC model.. but I figured I'd never use it away from AC power so there was limited benefit. If I had to, I could probably cobble together a cheapo DC powerpack if I really wanted to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

slidebite posted:

Just took the plunge and ordered a Ranger Quickjack BL-5000SLX for my garage. I don't have the room for a more proper lift but I really like the portability of it and it should be more than high to drop the motor on the 911 which is probably the biggest job I'd ever do with it. I went with 110V although I was really torn and considered the DC model.. but I figured I'd never use it away from AC power so there was limited benefit. If I had to, I could probably cobble together a cheapo DC powerpack if I really wanted to.

I've got the 3500. I like it but dang I wish my MGs fit on the 5000 because even my Mazda 3 is too heavy for the 3500

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did you go 110v AC too? Any problems or things to be aware of?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yea. I've got the 110 model. I put the motor on a cheap HF toolcart and mounted a hose holder on the side. It works. Kind of became my all-things-oil-change kit.

The only thing I'm looking for are cheap reusable end caps for the hoses to stop them from getting grimey.

If you look for a BL-3500 lifting an MG on YouTube, that's me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You mean the end of the hoses with the quick connects? Do you lose much fluid when you Re&Re them?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yea, the quick connects dribble a bit right when you disconnect them. Just a few drops probably.

The male ends are easy to wipe clean, but there's always a little ATF you can't get out of the female ends.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clam ache posted:

I like the Fenix HL60R, but that might be too big? High output, rechargeable battery with built in micro-usb charger circuit, long battery life, and a red mode for night vision. I mainly got it for camping, but since it's got a metal body I'd imagine it would be pretty dang durable for mechanic use.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I have an HL60r. I use it every day. It works well, no complaints.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

eddiewalker posted:

Yea, the quick connects dribble a bit right when you disconnect them. Just a few drops probably.

The male ends are easy to wipe clean, but there's always a little ATF you can't get out of the female ends.

I sell hydraulic stuff. When I get mine I'll take a look at it and see if there is something cheap for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I've got both the Fenix HL60R and most recent iteration of the Black Diamond Storm.

Between the two, the storm is not appreciably dimmer for any practical purposes, and the battery life is substantially longer than the HL60r. Plus the green night vision LED on the storm is a fantastic feature--I don't even use the white light while camping anymore.

The storm also has substantially brighter red LEDs, to the point where they're actually useful (first decent ones I've come across on a headlamp). I don't know why the fenix even bothers with red light mode, the red leds in my remote are brighter than the ones on the Fenix.

On top of all that, the Black Diamond Storm has better/more intuitive controls, and it flashes once to let you know you've hit the brightest led setting, which is a really nice touch. When you click once to turn on the fenix, it goes into a weird red/white flashing mode, the controls are just not well thought out.

Only advantage the Fenix has is that it uses rechargeable 18650 lithium cells, while you're stuck with either Alkaline or Eneloop NiMH AAA batteries on the black diamond. However, you still get ~4000 mAH (storm) vs 2600 mAH (on the battery that comes with the Fenix), and the max brightness on the storm uses a lot less juice than the max setting on the Fenix, so you get crazy long runtime on the storm vs something like two hours on the fenix.

All that being said, the built in rechargeable battery is almost reason enough to go with that the Fenix, but it sucks in every other way compared to the storm. Unless you need a spotlight for something like night time cycling, there's honestly little appreciable difference between the max light output.