Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Big Daddy Dispatchee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Eric The Body

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

My favorite part of this week's podcast is how they kept referring to Robert De Niro's character as "Dirty Grandpa."

precision posted:

I mean I don't really care about ads, I honestly don't, but if I were getting anywhere near $7K/month on my Patreon, I wouldn't do ads. Or I would do an ad-free version that you can listen to on the Patreon page specifically.

$7K/month split four (five?) ways is actually not too far from what we're getting now if you break it up into "per person", and we don't do ads currently. But it's their choice and it's not too intrusive.

But you still shouldn't make your Patreon listeners hear them.

Making a separate, ad-free podcast is actually a lot of extra work for guys who still have day jobs. I give to their Patreon and don't mind the ads because fast-forward buttons exist.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 11, 2017

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I only discovered this podcast recently but it is cracking my rear end up. I'm getting looks on the street because I'm laughing like an idiot while walking and listening to these guys go on a tirade about Daniel-san from Karate Kid III the loving Jersey rat who killed Mr. Miyagi's tree. It's the best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are a lot of reasons to use a network if you do a podcast, it really depends on what you're aiming to accomplish.

These guys make perfect sense on a network.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I understand the reasoning behind the ads and don't fault any podcast for it, but I can't imagine they are very profitable. I'm gonna guess 90% of people fast forward and it just ends up annoying for everyone. There must be a better way. You're good people though, keep on trucking.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

Why are podcasts even part of networks? I've never found a podcast through a network and iTunes is the one that tracks downloads and ratings. Why wouldn't advertisers just approach podcasts based on their audience size? It reminds me of when webcomics would be with certain hosting companies but then everyone figured out they could cut out the middleman and take more ad revenue for themselves. Lootcrate does business with a million lone nerd youtubers. If they don't buy equipment or provide representation and you can buy hosting and sell ads on the open market than what does their percentage really pay for?

The most successful network I know of, Maximum Fun, runs a huge fundraising push twice a year that seems to get them a shitload of money, which is kind of like the NPR model of nonprofit publishing.

I don't know what good the networks that don't do this are. I guess they can spend time trying to sell ads for you.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I understand the reasoning behind the ads and don't fault any podcast for it, but I can't imagine they are very profitable. I'm gonna guess 90% of people fast forward and it just ends up annoying for everyone. There must be a better way. You're good people though, keep on trucking.

it's not like you can't just push +30 sec a couple times and get to the funnies

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Semi-related, but does anyone have a favorite podcast streaming/fast forwarding app for Windows 8 that they recommend?
I've been clicking on "direct download" from the website and listening on my chrome player, but it doesn't have a skip 30 seconds option & I can only narrow it down to a 4-minute window with my mouse.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's a huge number of podcast networks (earwolf, maxfun, nerdist etc) but most already seem to have a competing 'Bad Movies' podcast. IMO, WHM is the #1 in it's genre, so I'm fascinated to see if they get picked up by another network. Ideally it'd be someone like MaxFun who are able to actually stay open.

Recording a one hour podcast is more like 4 or 5 hours work, if you factor in the movie watch, note-taking, travel times, editing etc. It's a huge undertaking for someone with a full-time job. It's amazing WHM is so high quality and regular, let alone happens at all. Podcasters need all the help they can get, particularly people like the WHM gang. Back the Patreon, is what I'm saying.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Semi-related, but does anyone have a favorite podcast streaming/fast forwarding app for Windows 8 that they recommend?
I've been clicking on "direct download" from the website and listening on my chrome player, but it doesn't have a skip 30 seconds option & I can only narrow it down to a 4-minute window with my mouse.

Pocketcasts works well on windows, IIRC. It may cost a couple bucks, but it's worth it if it does the job.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I think it's only Windows 10 but Grover Podcast.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

precision posted:

There are a lot of reasons to use a network if you do a podcast, it really depends on what you're aiming to accomplish.

These guys make perfect sense on a network.

Are there enough reasons that maybe you could list some for my edification?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Are there enough reasons that maybe you could list some for my edification?

One of the biggest reasons is revenue management. As someone said above, it's basically a full time job handling advertising.

-- Finding advertisers
-- Working with the advertiser to get ads ready for air (script, actionables, etc.)
-- Invoicing, payments, etc.
-- Etc.

I believe Marco Arment, who runs the Accidental Tech Podcast, has talked in the past how dealing with advertisers is a nightmare that requires annoying work all day every day in ways that you wouldn't expect. Juggling up to three different advertisers per week every week is a real pain. And if a podcast network can remove all of that work and hand you a script and a check then it simplifies your life quite a bit.

Podcast networks also help with advertising. Instead of spending your own time, money, and resources the network is out there pushing you. I know Eric doesn't like having to crawl the dregs of internet forums like this one (just joking), but just imagine having to spend all of your time trying to figure out how to get the word out about your show. This isn't something where you can just do some Google adwords and be set, you want to foster relationships with media websites throughout the world so people can find you. Well, what if having to do that, your podcast network could do the majority of the nitty gritty work for you? And then you can better spend your time focusing where you want to put your effort.

Podcast networks can also have bigger sway in the bigger directories like iTunes. Big networks get their own reps in the systems and can get better placement, campaigns for big events, etc.

Podcast networks basically exist for the same reason record labels did/do. Are they required? No. But they make some of the business and technical aspects a lot easier.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
They're white and 30-something, has MaxFun grabbed them yet?

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Wake_N_Bake posted:

They're white and 30-something, has MaxFun grabbed them yet?

MaxFun has The Flophouse so they are in need of a funny movie podcast.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
MaxFun already has The Flophouse.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
The ads are usually pretty fun because I presume the guys aren't thrilled to do them but they still present them with gusto and some humor. Some other shows just read ads off in a monotone style that's just a chore.

WHM ads remind me of Giant Bomb a bit, a little change of pace and oftentimes funny. And I'll happily listen to them considering the amount of top-tier entertainment I've received over the years.

HATE

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

painynumbs posted:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

painynumbs posted:

this is a nuclear dunk

yeah I don't know which network would be an ideal setting for WHM. MaxFun is cool, but i don't know if the WHM vibe would mesh well with them.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Are we really still talking about ads on a free podcast when we could all be discussing how gross and borderline illegal it is for DeNiro to be taking a 'Number 3' in front of of his grandson?
Like, I'm pretty sure your not supposed to jack off in front of your grand children.....it just makes you a...dirty.....grandpa.
I got nothing, I'm just tired of the advertisement talk because yeah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

Are we really still talking about ads on a free podcast when we could all be discussing how gross and borderline illegal it is for DeNiro to be taking a 'Number 3' in front of of his grandson?
Like, I'm pretty sure your not supposed to jack off in front of your grand children.....it just makes you a...dirty.....grandpa.
I think it's more we're trying to avoid talking about that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Somehow by the time they finished talking about the live show I thought this episode was going to be Howard The Duck. I may be one of the few people in history to be disappointed to not spend approaching the length of Star Wars listening to discussion of Howard The Duck.

Dirty Grandpa really hits you low when you're waiting for a discussion of Duck Boobies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUUXzaJWj4w

There is a lot more nudity in this than I expected even from their review. And Zac Efron is a lot more jacked than I thought.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Ads have been part of podcasting for a long time now; I'm guessing most of you complaining about the ads don't listen to very many podcasts because WHM's ad reads aren't unusual at all.

Podcasting is expensive and almost nobody can afford to do it without revenue so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just be glad they're read by the hosts instead of drop-ins. You can pretend you're listening to old timey radio. "This week's dirty grandpa is brought to you by Borax!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Plz no maxfun they'd have to do stupid switch up shows with the unfunny painfully-white people there

painynumbs posted:

:lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Podcasting is expensive and almost nobody can afford to do it without revenue

This is one of those completely false assumptions people make. Obviously there are a lot of factors (how many people are on an episode, do you "just talk" or do you have to edit in samples and music and the like, etc) but at the base level "making a podcast" can be as cheap as buying a guitar and amp and recording songs. I speak as someone who does both (podcasts and music) and the amount of money I've spent on the podcasting part is very small compared to the money spent on musical equipment. And I am super, very quite far away from rich; by some definitions, my wife and I are below the poverty level.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

This is one of those completely false assumptions people make. Obviously there are a lot of factors (how many people are on an episode, do you "just talk" or do you have to edit in samples and music and the like, etc) but at the base level "making a podcast" can be as cheap as buying a guitar and amp and recording songs. I speak as someone who does both (podcasts and music) and the amount of money I've spent on the podcasting part is very small compared to the money spent on musical equipment. And I am super, very quite far away from rich; by some definitions, my wife and I are below the poverty level.

Hosting alone can be massively expensive depending on 1) how big your backlog catalog is and 2) how popular your podcast is. If you're netting thousands to tens of thousands of DLs a week your hosting costs will be massive.

I've never made a podcast myself so you've got me there but I've listened to probably north of 200 different podcasts over the years and every time the creators go ad-driven it's to pay for the cost of hosting. They *could* all by exaggerating but I doubt it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

enigmahfc posted:

That's half of Greasy Strangler!

"It's like club culture met beach culture" - that's Sydney's motto! It's the best description of the city.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ads: Loudly proclaim that you're going to THE MONEY ZONE like they do on MBMBAM? Advertisers get the placement they want and there's no slow realization that when you're talking about how easily something can be folded back up and returned if you're not satisfied with it you're talking about an internet mattress and not Jim Belushi.

Dirty Grandpa: Not even worth skipping to the end.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Inkspot posted:

Ads: Loudly proclaim that you're going to THE MONEY ZONE like they do on MBMBAM? Advertisers get the placement they want and there's no slow realization that when you're talking about how easily something can be folded back up and returned if you're not satisfied with it you're talking about an internet mattress and not Jim Belushi.

I like the MBMBAM format. You get a the whole first half of the episode, then the ads/shoutouts, then the other half of the episode. Easy to skip, but also sometimes produces comedy gold. That said, I don't mind ads at all in any form. It's easy to skip with the 15 sec. forward button.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm just upset the wrong son died (BIOOS)

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Plz no maxfun they'd have to do stupid switch up shows with the unfunny painfully-white people there

Counterpoint: McElroys do WHM. WHM does TAZ.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Ever since they did the D&D movie, I've secretly wished we'd have a WHM D&D cast, even for one episode.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

That's not a counterpoint, that's the exact same point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ever since they did the D&D movie, I've secretly wished we'd have a WHM D&D cast, even for one episode.

Seriously they've expressed interest in doing a d&d session, it needs to happen yesterday

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Hosting alone can be massively expensive depending on 1) how big your backlog catalog is and 2) how popular your podcast is. If you're netting thousands to tens of thousands of DLs a week your hosting costs will be massive.

I've never made a podcast myself so you've got me there but I've listened to probably north of 200 different podcasts over the years and every time the creators go ad-driven it's to pay for the cost of hosting. They *could* all by exaggerating but I doubt it.

There are many ways to get around this. And I think this derail has gone on long enough :shobon:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We Hate Movies: Someone's making GBS threads in a Cup and Someone's Eating It

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inkspot posted:

MBMBAM style money-zone transitions would be perfect. Just fade in the theme music (or the loving banger of a halloween theme) and run the ad copy. Fade it back in (or I guess drop the bass in October) and get back to the poo poo impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Seriously they've expressed interest in doing a d&d session, it needs to happen yesterday

Yo, Eric, I have a ton of RPGs you guys would love that I could run for you over Skype or whatever. Call me!