Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You know why. It's a slippery slope when you start defining what is the "right" kind of human. The focus should be on trying to cure things like Downs by prenatal gene therapy, not killing them all off. You'd have to be an idiot to not see how far people would take that idea if they could. It'd start with things like Downs but it would inevitably lead to racial stuff.

Yeah i agree. Forcing people to have abortions is some evil poo poo.

But, and this may be my PHUO here, i genuinely have moral conflict when folks know about genetic defects and intentionally propagate them and/or bring them to term. A world where someone will never be able to function in any fulfilling capacity is p lovely place to be, not just for the individual but for those supporting them. I dont have a solution, but I cant cheer lead on that either.

Its tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

But, and this may be my PHUO here, i genuinely have moral conflict when folks know about genetic defects and intentionally propagate them and/or bring them to term.

Do you think anyone is doing this because "gently caress yes, now I get a defective baby!" because that's the impression you're giving off here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
genetic defects like neoteny

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Do you think anyone is doing this because "gently caress yes, now I get a defective baby!" because that's the impression you're giving off here.

I'm sure there are some of those people out there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Like you havent seen "baby is a gift from the Lord god bess us [while all our hopes and dreams are dashed because every waking hour for the rest of our lives just became this babies]"

Or that girl without a skull that was on SA years ago, thise parents didnt seem upset

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
for some reason an image springs to my mind of being seated at a SS dinner party, desperately wanting to change the current topic of conversation, leaning in to Dr. Mengele and Himmler, saying that i like to put ketchup on hot dogs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Like you havent seen "baby is a gift from the Lord god bess us [while all our hopes and dreams are dashed because every waking hour for the rest of our lives just became this babies]"

Or that girl without a skull that was on SA years ago, thise parents didnt seem upset

I'm very glad you're not in a position of authority.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grandmother of Five posted:

for some reason an image springs to my mind of being seated at a SS dinner party, desperately wanting to change the current topic of conversation, leaning in to Dr. Mengele and Himmler, saying that i like to put ketchup on hot dogs.

They'd be in the moral right looking at you with disgust.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I'm very glad you're not in a position of authority.

You disagree?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

You disagree?

I think pointing at outliers when I ask a question about normal human behavior is a way to dodge the point. I also think that you think determining absolutes is extremely easy, which is never a good thing,

To prove my point, let's assume I just made you God King in charge of Childbirth/Screening. How are you gonna run things?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

At least that is interesting on some level instead of the same tired old highschool debate class level arguments about eugenics.

The main problem is the discussion gets real circular since some people don't realize the textbook definition of eugenics is much shittier than the one they're thinking of (or they don't realize the implications of having an authoritative body legislate who desirable people are on a societal level), or the inherent weirdness of actually defining what desirable to society is, or that the underlying processes that regulate the expression of a gene, and how that product then interacts with the rest of the cell, is a complex phenomena that doesn't imply mild changes to a person's genetic material to get the desired changes in most cases, or the affects of gene diversity or know much of any other relevant but technical info here. That's fine, nobody can be expected to be a 100% knowledgeable about everything at all times and we're all just having a light chat on joke forum anyway but it still invites discussion focused on what sounds good superficially.

Some people like the -sound- of survival of the fittest without much background knowledge of what that actually means and then think that humanity is missing out, literally getting weaker, by not having local environmental factors dictate who lives and who dies anymore. Is it really relevant to modern society that we're not selecting for people who can stomach raw or badly prepared meals anymore? People that can handle the occasional poisoning by an animal w/o help? People whose immune systems can tank bubonic plague without any medical assistance? People that don't experience high altitude disorders? Is it bad that type 1 diabetics survive to old age now? Was it bad that Stephen Hawking didn't get cut down young and managed to have kids carrying his poo poo genes? The labor and ideas people contribute to developing society/humanity have much more impact than passing on a gene whose influence isn't even a guaranteed absolute such that society should have no vested interest in ensuring it has people of 'good' stock imho. People who are very pro-'only the strong should survive' should be the first to run the deathtrap obstacle course. Maybe as they're plummeting to their end for not being able to clear an 8 foot gap (above average ability, highly desirable) maybe they'll think "I sure wish I didn't care about an arbitrary definition of fit so much!"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I think pointing at outliers when I ask a question about normal human behavior is a way to dodge the point. I also think that you think determining absolutes is extremely easy, which is never a good thing,

To prove my point, let's assume I just made you God King in charge of Childbirth/Screening. How are you gonna run things?

I would encourage a life insurance program that paid out for anyone that chose to terminate a defective pregnancy before a certain point. Defects would be things that are terminal and would result in early death or would prohibit adult status. It would be voluntary to go ahead or not, but i would incentivize not if its going to cause harm.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
More dudes need to start trimming and shaping their eyebrows. You guys look like poo poo out there, it's embarrassing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jastiger posted:

I would encourage a life insurance program that paid out for anyone that chose to terminate a defective pregnancy before a certain point. Defects would be things that are terminal and would result in early death or would prohibit adult status. It would be voluntary to go ahead or not, but i would incentivize not if its going to cause harm.

Drink during pregnancies and game the system.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't Japanese business men adopt adult male heirs for exactly this reason already?

Yeah Japan has a shitload of adoptions, and they're almost always men in their 20s-30s. Usually the husband of their daughter, as they need a man to run their company. So allowing you to make a baby to your demands would see an end (or at least reduction) to this tradition, since they'd just guarantee that their firstborn was a straight male.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Tony Bologna posted:

More dudes need to start trimming and shaping their eyebrows. You guys look like poo poo out there, it's embarrassing.

a friend of mine who was a hairdresser at various salons said that she stopped asking guys if they'd like their brows done because it wasn't uncommon for dudes to get aggressively angry about simply being asked.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah Japan has a shitload of adoptions, and they're almost always men in their 20s-30s. Usually the husband of their daughter, as they need a man to run their company. So allowing you to make a baby to your demands would see an end (or at least reduction) to this tradition, since they'd just guarantee that their firstborn was a straight male.

Huh, is there a way to get on some sort of "Japanese Business Empire Adoption" list or something? I think I'd do pretty well as a Japanese business man. They wouldn't hold my Spanish/Italian heritage or US citizenship against me would they?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

So allowing you to make a baby to your demands would see an end (or at least reduction) to this tradition, since they'd just guarantee that their firstborn was a straight male.
Doesn't Japan (like most of the western world) already have a nativity problem? I'm not sure letting people choose to only have male offspring would help that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, is there a way to get on some sort of "Japanese Business Empire Adoption" list or something? I think I'd do pretty well as a Japanese business man. They wouldn't hold my Spanish/Italian heritage or US citizenship against me would they?

If you're not Japanese, there's about a zero percent chance that you'd get business-adopted. They are notorious for disliking foreigners, and I'm sure they'd rather have their daughter run the company than some dirty immigrant.

Collateral Damage posted:

Doesn't Japan (like most of the western world) already have a nativity problem? I'm not sure letting people choose to only have male offspring would help that.

Their population is aging rapidly, and they're funding a lot of robotics development to help make up for a lack of people in the future. Granted, thats not the only reason why they're funding robotics (robots are cool).

When China had their one-child policy, and families would drown the baby if it was a girl they ended up creating a generation where there's relatively no women, there was an entire industry built around people driving to the countryside or neighbouring countries to steal women to be brides for the lonely Chinese men.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's also why they're making robots to help old people. They'd rather that, than immigrants polluting the bloodlines.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Grandmother of Five posted:

a friend of mine who was a hairdresser at various salons said that she stopped asking guys if they'd like their brows done because it wasn't uncommon for dudes to get aggressively angry about simply being asked.

I remember dudes used to get like that when the hairdressers at the salon I'd go to insisted that they were a "hair salon" not a "barber shop." Like dawg, the reason everyone thinks you're a fuckboy is because you are freaking out, not because you get your hair done at a salon.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Now if the Japanese could only figure out a way for sex robots to give birth, all their problems would be solved.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Now if the Japanese could only figure out a way for sex robots to give birth, all their problems would be solved.

Yeah, but then all of ours would begin. It would suck having the world violently taken over by a bunch of robots if I can't even speak their language.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but then all of ours would begin. It would suck having the world violently taken over by a bunch of robots if I can't even speak their language.

Huh, it hadn't even occurred to me these dudes would want these robots to talk.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Das Boo posted:

And it'll star Kiefer Sutherland and Elizabeth Berkley.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

The western world is generally at or slightly below the replacement rate at this point. Parts of Europe are pretty low. Japan, however, is far, far below it. I read somewhat recently that something like 45% of adults in Japan are virgins. That isn't like "we're finding that young Japanese people are starting to have sex later than before" but rather "Japanese people aren't loving at all any more." The Japanese, if they keep doing what they are now, are going to not breed themselves out of existence. It's a serious problem they aren't dealing with. Aside from the long term problem of ending themselves there's the shorter term problem of not enough young people to take care of the old people. Their birth rate is just crazy, crazy low.

The other snag on eugenics chat is in China and India male babies are considered more valuable than female ones. Female babies are getting aborted or carried to term and hidden and/or abandoned. Women are being beaten for not bearing boys and the gender ratio is getting all out of whack. China in particular, partly thanks to its restrictions on birth numbers, is becoming increasingly male.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Huh, it hadn't even occurred to me these dudes would want these robots to talk.

How else would they know they were the best ever at sex? A complex series of LED lights? Nah, that just wouldn't work.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Japan, however, is far, far below it. I read somewhat recently that something like 45% of adults in Japan are virgins.

what

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/asia/japanese-millennials-virgins/

My memory as memory tends to be is in accurate. Almost half of Japanese millennials have never had sex not adults overall.

That just strikes me as incredibly bizarre. That's like a basic human urge. We hump. It's what we do.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like im needed in Japan *sighs as he unsheaths his......Katana*

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the article blaming anime and empowered women seems a little uh peculiar

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

hard counter posted:

the article blaming anime and empowered women seems a little uh peculiar

I don't need an excuse to blame anime.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
White women are absolutely hideous. Pale, bony, thin-lipped, blank eyed, stringy haired, assless, lanky, pointy nosed, ghoulish-looking things that age like milk. White men are ugly too but they arent put on a pedestal as the epitome of beauty. If you are a white girl then just give up now. Dont even bother with make-up, clothes, or anything. Accept that youre ugly.

Also i'm a trans woman so I'm allowed to say all of this.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter posted:

The main problem is the discussion gets real circular

aw you know what, i change my mind

there should be at least one place on the forums where people can openly discuss things they care about regardless of subject matter and i also do occasionally get on people's cases for not getting into honest debates with one another with the goal of actually convincing people about difficult topics even if it's a legit hard thing to do sometimes, ~*reaching hearts and minds*~ and all that; please continue having your eugenics chat (and bring it up whenever you want) if you desire but someone else can try to persuade jastiger now :arghfist::saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tony Bologna posted:

gently caress you i'm going full brezhnev

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think I've ever run into somebody that's considered Speedy Gonzales racist nor have I seen that on the internet, ever. He's a mouse from Mexico that wears a big hat and goes fast. Big deal. I have, however, heard comments on his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez being a racist character. He's slow, lazy, and carries a gun. Kind of matches some negative stereotypes.

Then again Slowpoke Rodriguez is apparently very popular as well.

Thank you.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress you i'm going full brezhnev

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Aramek posted:

I read something about how there's no such thing as ethical consumption under late stage capitalism?

I think this means we should embrace the unethical-ness of it.

This is true. Even ignoring that the very concept of "consumption" is problematic at best, simply using money makes you complicit in all the bad things corporations and rich people are doing. Such as strip mining, political corruption, and child rape. The only ethical choice is to move into a shack or cardboard box, eat roadkill, or better yet kill yourself.

The takeaway from this of course is not that you should do that, but rather that no one is ethical, no one is "good".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People with very thin or no eyebrows are barely recognizable as human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

I carry my cat over my shoulder and pretend to burp him as if he was a human baby. I call him "my Lil' Dootz" and it's an adorable and awesome thing I do. His name is Gordon and it's the best name for a cat as well.