Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Yessssss, give in to your hate. Strike down Mark Rosewater, and you will become more powerful than he ever was!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
10 mana counterspell, you say?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Inexplicably monored homarid, you say?

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 30, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Not Alex posted:

Can I get some feedback on mine? Too strong, too weak? I feel like I'm out of synch with the meta here.

I rejected that one because it is good enough for Constructed. If your opponent's library is less than 150% of your life total, you win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

We have precedent for Land Creatures, for Legendary Lands, for colorless Commanders. Why not do all three at once?
Resubmitting because I feel like it fits the contest in several ways.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

PMush Perfect posted:

10 mana counterspell, you say?

Not Alex posted:

Look at these people, not providing their reasoning as to why they want these cards to exist

Now tell me where you all live and what kind of pets I can be expecting to devour.

Edit: Also, Contest ends January 9th. Possibly earlier if enough people ask.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 31, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Snow Covered Mox Jet is just a joke about how Mark Rosewater is responding to a plan to work around the Reserved List by reprinting snow covered versions of the dual lands with foot dragging. It is not a serious entry.

Not Alex posted:

If you make the pump Homarid spell take Izzet Mana, you can use Clawfury as a commander.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
chrome is being a jerk and not letting me download images so imagine this with the art for Selfless Spirit or something

basically Evoke is a very well-designed mechanic that had the misfortune of being printed in Tribal Clusterfuck: The Draft Format and before they fixed combined ETB/LTB triggers.

This is a design that couldn't be done with the old Oblivion Ring templating because you would just stack the triggers to keep the target permanently exiled, so rather than being a flexible design halfway between Banisher Priest and Cloudshift it would just be a better Swords to Plowshares.

I had other ideas along the same lines (enchantments that behave like sorceries with Evoke, a Civic Wayfinder/Lay of the Land hybrid) but my inability to get art for them is frustrating me :sigh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Look at these people, not providing their reasoning as to why they want these cards to exist
1) To be smarmy.
2) Because there are very few wincon counterspells and it is, if not a good niche, at least an interesting one.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The wish mechanic is a really cool one, and I'd like to see them do more twists on it besides changing the subset of cards that it gets. I'd also like to see more Time Spiral-style riffs on old cards or combinations of old cards.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I really like that Wishes Ungranted fixes the "Find only Unburial Rites and some stupid eldrazi or something" problem.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Since the Aether Revolt previews seem to be lacking it entirely so far, I feel that "energy removal" is definitely a gap that needs to be filled. My apologies for not using the energy symbols as they're not in Magic Card Creator and I'm way too lazy to use photoshop for it:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 3, 2017

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So the Werewolf Legendary released during Innistrad was... a bit lackluster. Why not try a different approach?

Or, with the brand new partner mechanic, you could have two!

On the non-Legendary front:

EDIT: and on the non-werewolf front, I'm annoyed that Reanimator is built explicitly to only work in that gimmicky, "Get big fatty that wins you the game." Method. I'm a bigger fan of the smaller, reanimate-for-value style.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Who has two thumbs and did not forget about his own drat contest?

Judging delayed till tomorrow morning because I'm sleepy as poo poo right now.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Last minute forgot-about-this-when-I-was-on-holiday post!

We haven't had a good Living Death effect for a while, we don't have anything that solely reanimates Planeswalkers despite a couple of cards that reanimate any permanent.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 10, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
This contest showed me that I really love build-arounds that change or create archetypes.
This is an excellent fusion of ideas
Good thing you remembered after I forgot, cuz this is kinda cool
You would have won this contest if not for Torchlighter
That non-legend werewolf was cool, but this is my loving idol right here. Just a subtle change in philosophy that makes a world of difference.

Torchlighter, you can go to your grave knowing that you won this contest. The rest of you were really cool too, and the only reason I didn't include everyone's cards and some feedback was because the post was gonna be completely loving too big. If you want feedback on a card that didn't make the shortlist, just ask and I'll be overjoyed that someone finally wants my input.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Hooray! Contest will be up either today or tomorrow, depending on where you are when I come up with it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Veyrall posted:

I didn't include everyone's cards and some feedback was because the post was gonna be completely loving too big. If you want feedback on a card that didn't make the shortlist, just ask and I'll be overjoyed that someone finally wants my input.

I'll bite. I'd like some feedback on mine.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Alright. Let's see if this one works.

:siren: Superhero Smashup! :siren:

It's a pretty normal event, if you ever go looking for custom magic cards, to find that a lot of people have attempted to create a set dedicated to another fandom of theirs, whatever it may be. These cards are usually... lacking. Whether through well-meaning fanaticism, a personal headcanon or a desire to meticulously get every detail right, fansets are rife with broken or overly complex cards and mechanics or just straight lack of thought into how these pieces fit together. We're not doing that.

In a hypothetical world where WOTC got the rights to make a Marvel/DC mashup, make a card that you would reasonably expect to see in that set.

Basically, I'm looking for a card of Standard/Modern power levels, based around superheroes. The easiest way to go about this would be to pick a single hero and work out their function in the set. What would be their major foci? How would they fit into, and what does that say, about the set?

Take this as an example of what not to do:

Look at all that text! It has every power that Superman has. And it's unplayable because of it. Instead, try to separate this into a few different cards. Like a flying, indestructible creature, and a few spells that emulate his other powers.

Given the timing, I'll end this contest at 7:00 PM PST, Saturday 21st. Good Luck! :)

Super Secret Playing to the Judge Hint
Secret Identities have kind of fallen by the wayside in the recent boom of Superhero stories. But I've always liked them as a second part of of a character, giving options and avenues of attack that their enemies won't expect.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The one character that can beat just about all of them. Also a great babysitter, though that's trickier to represent in card form. Predator Ooze meets Verdant Force in a splashy mythic that may look weak at first glance, but which can be surprisingly dominant on the battlefield.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"here's an example of what not to do"

*immediately creates an entry with exactly as many keywords*

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tollymain posted:

"here's an example of what not to do"

*immediately creates an entry with exactly as many keywords*

'What not to do' was pile on every conceivable ability onto one card, such as the four extra things to represent Superman's reluctance to use violence, leadership, heat vision and whichever one of his laundry list of powers is represented by tapping things. Squirrel Girl basically does two: Defeat everyone else and get squirrels. Anyway,

AJ_Impy posted:

Also a great babysitter, though that's trickier to represent in card form.

Self-imposed alter-ego card challenge go!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Did somebody say... Spider-Man?

Because I'm pretty sure I heard somebody say Spider-Man.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I wanted to try a kind of build-around deck to really give that Spider-Man feel through multiple cards interacting with each other.

First, the man himself

A few power cards

Some alter-ego action. Thanks to the clone saga, you can have Peter Parker and Spider-Man out at the same time!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Did somebody say... Spider-Man?

Because I'm pretty sure I heard somebody say Spider-Man.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
That only one out of 11 man spiders on this page have reach is a travesty. Web spiders have reach. It's a thing.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Slightly more serious note: Hawkeyes.

These probably aren't well balanced against each other.

I wanted the Trick Arrow mechanic to represent being able to pull exactly the right tool out of your rear end for any situation, but also tie to offensive ability and have it scale with, say, equipment and auras. Green likes it's combat focus and synergy with combat tricks as well.

Clint is meant to be a bit more reckless and experienced and more traditionally focused on the bow, while Kate has her girl detective thing going on.

Both of them have a bit of history doing the undercover agent thing which works with the infiltrator/when ~ deals combat damage to an opponent thing as well, which is cool. I tossed in the enter the battlefield effects just for a bit more value.

e: looking these over, I'd probably switch Hawkguy to a 3/2 and Kate to 2/3 to differentiate them a bit and give a boost to Kate's evasion.

Mover fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 11, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Thanks to the clone saga, you can have Peter Parker and Spider-Man out at the same time!

You're thinking too small, friend.

Much too small.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

can I make cards that are based off of non-Marvel/DC characters as long as they're still in the superhero genre?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

PMush Perfect posted:

You're thinking too small, friend.

Much too small.
I know, but I haven't gotten a chance to read a spider-man comic in...decades, and most people only know the most iconic stuff about superheroes, regardless of who. I mean, how many people can realistically tell you who Nightwing is? Let alone who the 2099 Spider-Man is*.

*The best one, in case I wasn't clear.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bill O'Reily? :j:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I wanted to make a Bruce Banner flip card 1/1 that takes damage as +1/+1 counters and flips into the Hulk who sheds one on end step, but I don't have admin access on this computer. Sad times.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

In the interest of filling out the set with non legendary cards:

a basic powerset with no real special skills, but solid in a draft

On that note, I figure this set would be very Legendary focused and loaded with impossible to kill dudes, so

and

here to mitigate that at lower rarities.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Rad! I know what I want to...

AJ_Impy posted:

The one character that can beat just about all of them. Also a great babysitter, though that's trickier to represent in card form. Predator Ooze meets Verdant Force in a splashy mythic that may look weak at first glance, but which can be surprisingly dominant on the battlefield.

Son of a bitch.

Whatever, time to do a series of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl cards, showing all the heroes of the series except for Chimpmunk Hunk because he's always facing away from the camera, or standing behind Koi Boi, or in extreme closeup so you can't see his outfit.

And here are some cards to help her squirrel dependencies, along with a squirrel-a-gig so Tippy Toe can help Squirrel Girl attack safely, or vice versa!

Also Loki.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh hey a theme that I have a card ready for

A theme in the series is friends and friendship, so it seemed natural. I think I had another card done of the same character, but it's been lost to a hard drive crash.
Wording is probably a bit off too, it's not exactly a serious/final entry.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Elyv posted:

can I make cards that are based off of non-Marvel/DC characters as long as they're still in the superhero genre?

Sure! I went with DC/Marvel as an attempt to focus down, but given all the current cards, I'm willing to bend it to 'superheroes'.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
How could you not go for the low hanging fruit?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Veyrall posted:

How could you not go for the low hanging fruit?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Might as well start with the easy ones.