Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anno indeed owns.

Bit surprised to see Swery popping up here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's awesome.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I mean, it sounds like Anno just put the 'anti-managerial' themes of his work into practice in actually creating it. Like, I've never been watching a Godzilla movie and said, "Man, this really should have been reigned in - these Japanese b-movie makers need tighter bureaucracy."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm very thankful that there was no love interest b-plot

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only good love stories in a Godzilla movie have been the original and Terror, and both of those were tragedies for different reasons.

Having just a generic 'these two fall in love' story would be pretty bad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

K. Waste posted:

I mean, it sounds like Anno just put the 'anti-managerial' themes of his work into practice in actually creating it. Like, I've never been watching a Godzilla movie and said, "Man, this really should have been reigned in - these Japanese b-movie makers need tighter bureaucracy."

yeah lol that owned

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm very thankful that there was no love interest b-plot

Watching Shin Godzilla you could see where they easily could have added it in, but I was very glad it was an unspoken sort of thing, it added a level of restraint to the whole thing. Sometimes every movie doesn't have to have all of the different types of tension.

if you are watching a Godzilla movie and thinking "boy i'm really wondering where this blooming romance is going" you done hosed up

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Breaking News:
ANNO - SAVIOR OF OUR MOVIE?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Worst Bear posted:

Breaking News:

Probably my favorite moment of G14.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Worst Bear posted:

Breaking News:

close the thread

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The hesei gamera movies are better than Shin Godzilla.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

K. Waste posted:

close the thread

we're done

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Fsmhunk posted:

The hesei gamera movies are better than Shin Godzilla.

The Heisei Gamera movies are better than a lot of things really.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I would watch a Shin Godzilla sequel co-written by Swery.

They have to put in the whistling song from Deadly Premonition though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

disjoe posted:

I would watch a Shin Godzilla sequel co-written by Swery.

They have to put in the whistling song from Deadly Premonition though.
There should be an extended sequence of Godzilla driving a car and talking to the audience about his favorite American B-movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Hey, Mothra. You remember King Kong? 1933, RKO Pictures, an absolute classic. Many would say it birthed the kaiju genre. Think about it, Mothra. None of us would be here if it wasn't for a stop-motion monkey. Makes you think, huh?"

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

(Forgive me if this was dealt with earlier)

I set up a Japanese PSN account last night and downloaded the Shin Godzilla VR tech demo for the PSVR.

Holy poo poo.

It's really short, not even two minutes, but it's fantastic. You are a victim stuck in the rubble, so you can't move or do anything, you can only turn your head and look around. You look to your left at the start and Godzilla's tail swings right over your head. Then you see him emerge from behind a building that is between you and him. It looks like he's going to just keep going but then he slowly turns and comes in your direction. They really nailed the sense of scale. I'm a bit embarrassed to say it, but as he bore down on me, I actually leaned back into my seat a bit. It's really cool.

Here's the (obviously) non-VR video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-dqHHrzawo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/100MegaGNA/status/818463298752417792

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1984 godzilla in the middle does not want to be there at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Minilla is such a little idiot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Minilla is such a little idiot.

Both of them

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Original design will always be my favorite. They got the weasel ears just right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like the 'Zilla photobomb.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Zilla hanging out on the top of a building.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why is godzilla jr so small in this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's a tiny little guy that's why

In the movie he's not even 50 meters

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I thought that little one was the Godzillasaurus.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, he'd be way too small to be seen. He'd fit in the palm of one of their hands.

Also Jr is a near bright green and has the same not quite fully grown spines.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he's not that much smaller than burning godzilla

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He is actually. Waaaay smaller. The only times we see the two near each other, there's some funky camera angles at work because of the scale issue.

Biggest Junior got was 40 meters, compared to 54's 50 and Burning Godzilla's 100.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stairmaster posted:

1984 godzilla in the middle does not want to be there at all.

However, the one directly in front, couldn't be more thrilled!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Oh I see Zilla. Didn't notice him up there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just watched Godzilla Vs. Mothra. I kinda liked it, I guess. But I have to ask, does it help to enjoy these movies more if you're nostalgic of them? I feel like something was missing.

Watching Gorjira was a treat for me due to how serious and moody it all was. It felt very powerful, and quite interesting. And I didn't really feel that with Godzilla Vs Mothra. Some good stuff in it though, but it didn't grab me as much as I thought. I couldn't get into Godzilla Raids Again either.

Maybe I'm just weird and I like Godzilla when it's deadly serious and moody as hell. I feel like I'll dig Shin Godzilla a lot, but I'm not sure about the rest of the series. But I do want to enjoy them though, so who knows!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I just watched Godzilla Vs. Mothra. I kinda liked it, I guess. But I have to ask, does it help to enjoy these movies more if you're nostalgic of them? I feel like something was missing.

Watching Gorjira was a treat for me due to how serious and moody it all was. It felt very powerful, and quite interesting. And I didn't really feel that with Godzilla Vs Mothra. Some good stuff in it though, but it didn't grab me as much as I thought. I couldn't get into Godzilla Raids Again either.

Maybe I'm just weird and I like Godzilla when it's deadly serious and moody as hell. I feel like I'll dig Shin Godzilla a lot, but I'm not sure about the rest of the series. But I do want to enjoy them though, so who knows!

Track down Return of Godzilla.

Gojira, Return and Shin make a trilogy of sorts of very similar style movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay, I think I can snag that at the same store I got the other films. I'll watch them, but I may sell the box set after if they're not clicking with me too much.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Some Godzillas are significantly more serious/horror-styled than others, but Shin Godzilla is definitely one of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's just something so scary to me about giant monsters. Little monsters, or like, 8 foot ones you could probably lock up somewhere or have a shot at killing them.

You're completely helpless with something that huge.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

There's just something so scary to me about giant monsters. Little monsters, or like, 8 foot ones you could probably lock up somewhere or have a shot at killing them.

You're completely helpless with something that huge.

One of my lifelong recurring nightmares is some kind of giant monster bearing down on me and the feeling that no matter how small I am, he is looking right at me.

I've also always found Goya's The Colossus deeply unsettling.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cloverfield is the scariest monster film for me because it does add the double layer of the tiny monsters coming after you. Those on their own? Eh. But those paired with the giant monster, showing that there really is no escape from it? To me that's drat horrifying.

The little Zilla baby scene in the Emmrich movie could've been so dang scary if it was directed by someone who isnt' a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Cloverfield is the scariest monster film for me because it does add the double layer of the tiny monsters coming after you. Those on their own? Eh. But those paired with the giant monster, showing that there really is no escape from it? To me that's drat horrifying.

The little Zilla baby scene in the Emmrich movie could've been so dang scary if it was directed by someone who isnt' a hack.

I think you're going to like Return of Godzilla quite a bit.

Not gonna say why since you don't seem to know