Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So thinking about dropping Netflix after this month. Anything good on there? Doesnt seem like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Iron Fist comes out soon. Sens8 in May. New Doogie Howser show on Thursday.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

So thinking about dropping Netflix after this month. Anything good on there? Doesnt seem like it.

Santa Clarita Diet on February 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

House of Cards season 5 should come out end of February or early March. Series of Unfortunate Events looks pretty good. Most recent seasons of Bates Motel and Better Call Saul should probably drop by the end of February.

Of course, that's a difficult question to answer without knowing what you're looking for.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
There's also new MST3K, though that could go either way.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

I hadn't heard about this until today but the prospect of Tim Olyphant doing more comedy after The Grinder makes me happy, especially with the cast and pedigree there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

House of Cards season 5 should come out end of February or early March. Series of Unfortunate Events looks pretty good. Most recent seasons of Bates Motel and Better Call Saul should probably drop by the end of February.

Of course, that's a difficult question to answer without knowing what you're looking for.

Yeah its vague, but now I'm gonna hold off

DivisionPost posted:

Because of this. I LOVE Better Off Ted.

That was a close call guys and gals.

But goddamn I wish Netflix had better TV and movies NOW

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Netflix has the remake of One Day at a Time that just released. Its a multicam so all the cons of that come with that territory, but its better than network multicams, super feminist and has EGOT club Rita Moreno as the abuelita.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Netflix has the remake of One Day at a Time that just released. Its a multicam so all the cons of that come with that territory, but its better than network multicams, super feminist and has EGOT club Rita Moreno as the abuelita.

I'm watching this right now and it's drat good, but holy poo poo, Moreno looks great for 85.

EDIT: Scratch that, the first episode was straight-up fantastic. Justina Machado crushes it in the lead, the laugh track does a great job of accentuating the comedy without being too overbearing, and the situations it tackles -- at least in the first episode -- feel refreshingly complex. Definitely check this out.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 11, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of Netflix, I finished Bloodline season 1. It has fantastic acting but they only have maybe a movie's worth of story to go through and they stretch it out for 12 hours. The same writers did the same poo poo with Damages. Just make it into a movie it would have been great.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of Netflix, I finished Bloodline season 1. It has fantastic acting but they only have maybe a movie's worth of story to go through and they stretch it out for 12 hours. The same writers did the same poo poo with Damages. Just make it into a movie it would have been great.

That aspect gets much more obvious and annoying in season 2

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Was this posted earlier? The ABC president talks positively about SHIELD's time adjusted ratings and creative direction.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/10/abc-scandal-free-fall-lineup-once-upon-time/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, I think cinematographers for TV shows really need to take heed on what their stuff is going to look like after it's shitted out the rear end end of traditional cable.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Confirming, five episodes in: One Day at a Time redux is The Good poo poo.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Confirming, five episodes in: One Day at a Time redux is The Good poo poo.

I'm only on episode 3 but I read that in episode 9 Schneider gets roasted for wearing a Che Gueverra shirt and I'm looking forward to it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yer Burnt posted:

I'm only on episode 3 but I read that in episode 9 Schneider gets roasted for wearing a Che Gueverra shirt and I'm looking forward to it.

Oh that just sounds delightful, especially with Machado being some kind of goddess when it comes to busting balls. (Episode 3) All of her "Carmen is a vampire" riffs were beautifully delivered.

BTW, have a look at how awesome Norman Lear is.

quote:

Calderon Kellett: He would come to all the table reads. He would definitely give us thoughts about various episodes. Episode four is a great one because it’s an out of sequence episode. We just felt like that was the best way to tell that story. At first he sat down, he’s like, “Gosh guys, I’m concerned about this episode. I just don’t get it.” The scenes were shorter. We were like, “Please trust us.” He to his credit said, “Okay.” After the first run through where he saw it completely, he was like, “Guys, we need to talk.” Mike and I were like, “Oh boy.”

Royce: He sits us down on the set super dramatically. The crew’s all standing around. I think we were off to the side, but it was like people were waiting for us. We’re just like, “We’re about to get read the riot act or something. We’re not quite sure what’s coming, but it doesn’t sound good.” He goes, “I said from the beginning that this episode wouldn’t work.” There’s a big pause and he goes, “But you live and learn.” He goes, “It came together beautifully.”

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/one-day-at-a-time-netflix-revival-interview/

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 11, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

precision posted:

Oy, that's a can of worms and no mistake. I bailed in season 3 because it just wasn't to my tastes anymore.
I fell off in s3 too, when it moved onto the Red Dragon plot. I just wasn't invested enough to keep up as it started in on the new villain. Now that I look at it it appears I stopped with just two or three episodes left, that seems kinda dumb :gerty: I did a similar thing with Boardwalk Empire though, where I dropped off early in the final season due to lack of interest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Prison Break is coming back in April

:dance:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ew.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe T-Bag will again eat some bad mexican? We can only hope.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

I fell off in s3 too, when it moved onto the Red Dragon plot. I just wasn't invested enough to keep up as it started in on the new villain. Now that I look at it it appears I stopped with just two or three episodes left, that seems kinda dumb :gerty: I did a similar thing with Boardwalk Empire though, where I dropped off early in the final season due to lack of interest.

I did the same thing with both series, except I couldn't make it past two episodes in each final season. Both seasons started so far up their own asses, with little that entertained me to compensate, that I'd rather a Dexter-like final season that's at least fun to hate watch

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The season 3 teaser's out for Better Call Saul, and last season's thread seems to be closed for archiving, so I hope it's okay to post this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3WzxpdUc0

This was inevitable, so there's not much point in being annoyed about it, but I wish this show was more interested in being about Jimmy's story and less interested in being an all-purpose prequel for Breaking Bad. I feel like they increasingly have a Daenerys problem where some characters feel like they're off in their own worlds instead of actually interacting with each another.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Totally agreed, but hopefully this is just a promo/hype thing and the show will continue splitting things down the middle.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sinteres posted:

The season 3 teaser's out for Better Call Saul, and last season's thread seems to be closed for archiving, so I hope it's okay to post this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3WzxpdUc0

This was inevitable, so there's not much point in being annoyed about it, but I wish this show was more interested in being about Jimmy's story and less interested in being an all-purpose prequel for Breaking Bad. I feel like they increasingly have a Daenerys problem where some characters feel like they're off in their own worlds instead of actually interacting with each another.

Honestly, I've been hoping to see Gus pop up since the show was first announced so I'm happy about this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As said, it's kind of unavoidable. Better Call Saul isn't set far enough back from Breaking Bad that you can ignore the "prequel" stuff entirely. It's been great seeing Jimmy and the man he was but at some point Saul has to present himself and Mike needs to become Gus' soldier or it kind of doesn't make sense.

I mean, I'd love ten years of Jimmy but they wrote themselves into a corner with that premise unless they just say "gently caress Breaking Bad". Which I'd theoretically be fine with but you know a ton of nerds will be freaking out over.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Prison Break trailer.

http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-scofield-back-gleefully-dumb-trailer-priso-248303

Yeah that's Prison Break alright, especially

T-bag with that loving robot hand

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

As said, it's kind of unavoidable. Better Call Saul isn't set far enough back from Breaking Bad that you can ignore the "prequel" stuff entirely. It's been great seeing Jimmy and the man he was but at some point Saul has to present himself and Mike needs to become Gus' soldier or it kind of doesn't make sense.

I mean, I'd love ten years of Jimmy but they wrote themselves into a corner with that premise unless they just say "gently caress Breaking Bad". Which I'd theoretically be fine with but you know a ton of nerds will be freaking out over.

We know where Jimmy ends up, but even Saul wasn't all that deeply involved in the criminal world before the events of Breaking Bad; he was mostly just a corrupt sleazeball lawyer who had a fixer who was more connected than Saul realized. I don't think making a ten year show about Jimmy as a lawyer would have worked, but I don't think ten years of this is going to work either, especially since nobody's getting any younger. I still like the show we got, I'd just rather have had a smaller, more focused series about the Jimmy to Saul transition without quite as much Pre-Breaking Bad starring Mike the 70 year old badass and whatever callback characters are around this week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hear you and I basically agree, I'm just saying it's the inevitability of making your show "Better Call Saul" instead of some other new character named Jimmy. Saul may not have been a deeply invested cartel lawyer at the start of Breaking Bad but he was still a long ways off from where Jimmy is and he's going to have to get really dirty and work with some real dirtbags if that transition is going to work.

As for Gus, he's theroetically way more important to Mike's story since he does need to become deeply invested in the criminal world pretty fast. It's pretty clear how that's going to happen but it's gotta happen and Gus has to be involved sooner or later.

And of course Mike is important for Saul since hes the connection to the drugs.

It sucks because they've created a really compelling character and cast that I'm more invested in at this stage than Gus or Saul. But it always kind of had to happen with the choices they made.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Man, Street Science was a fun little show. The audience is always super impressed with the stuff they did, some of it was really neat-o to a non-science inclined person like myself, and everyone seemed to really enjoy being on the show. That's about all I ask from a 30 minute science show.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Iron Fist comes out soon. Sens8 in May. New Doogie Howser show on Thursday.

I want to believe, with EVERY fibre of my being, that Iron Fist will be incredible and live up to the potential material Ed Brubaker and David Aja produced with the character years ago in Marvel Comics.

Then I remember that loving Scott Buck - the final show runner of Dexter's epic, clusterfuck abortion of a concluding season - is Iron Fist's show runner and I die inside.

Also, I should feel shame because it comes from the MTV assembly line but Sweet Viscous has completely come out of left field to win me over. Love the casting, love tthat they've managed to stretch the premise further than it deserves to be and it still works, love the characterization and even love the music selection - especially this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twpQTna_9w

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Dead Snoopy posted:

Also, I should feel shame because it comes from the MTV assembly line but Sweet Viscous has completely come out of left field to win me over.

It sticks with you long after you've finished watching it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Snoopy posted:

Also, I should feel shame because it comes from the MTV assembly line but Sweet Viscous has completely come out of left field to win me over. Love the casting, love tthat they've managed to stretch the premise further than it deserves to be and it still works, love the characterization and even love the music selection - especially this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twpQTna_9w

I watched it all in one day, it's a good show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I should hate Vicious for being so inherently goofy and melodramatic but it really won me over too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It not even overly melodramatic, it's just the subject matter really, everyone else is just being your average run of the mill tv college student

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

I want to believe, with EVERY fibre of my being, that Iron Fist will be incredible and live up to the potential material Ed Brubaker and David Aja produced with the character years ago in Marvel Comics.

Don't worry, it will be great, it's part of the MCU after all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The trailer for Iron Fist shows the guy punching through a wall and he's taught by tibetan monks or something. Looks like Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If he doesn't punch through an entire helicopter by the end, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tahmoh Penikett just added to the all-star Incorporated cast.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rocksicles posted:

Tahmoh Penikett just added to the all-star Incorporated cast.

Now all we need is Callum Keith Rennie or Roger Cross to have Canadian Actor Bingo.

GreenNight posted:

Prison Break trailer.

http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-scofield-back-gleefully-dumb-trailer-priso-248303

Yeah that's Prison Break alright, especially

T-bag with that loving robot hand

I hate myself because I know I'm gonna be watching this just to see how much of a sneaky poo poo T-Bag is gonna be this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vanderdeath posted:

Now all we need is Callum Keith Rennie or Roger Cross to have Canadian Actor Bingo.

I hate myself because I know I'm gonna be watching this just to see how much of a sneaky poo poo T-Bag is gonna be this time.

Isn't T-Bag the only reason anyone watched post finding Curly's Gold?

• Locked thread