Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

beefnoodle posted:

I don't view it sorted by artist, so for me it is that bad. They don't handle compilations properly. Not even their own purchased songs.

Sorting for artist is where compilations don't work. If I want to play a compilation album I sort by album and the whole thing is there intact and not cut up into many albums. I'm not wild about a lot of things in the app but that one hasn't been an issue when I do it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I loved Google Music when I had my Android phones, but now that I have an iPhone and use Apple CarPlay so drat much, I'm stuck with Apple Music. I hope they open up Carplay to more third apps (lolololol right)

There's not really anything stopping Google Play Music from supporting Carplay right now. They just haven't.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I need to record voiceovers for a movie project. What's a good app for that? Looking for high quality voice recording and maybe a way to add notes on my iPhone about what I'm recording so that I can find/edit things easier later in iMovies (on a Mac).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unless you buy an external mic you might as well just use Voice Memos that's built into the phone.
You can add notes once you've made a recording.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need to record voiceovers for a movie project. What's a good app for that? Looking for high quality voice recording and maybe a way to add notes on my iPhone about what I'm recording so that I can find/edit things easier later in iMovies (on a Mac).

Notes plus might do this. It records and connects the recording to the notes you made at that time. So you can tap a word, and the recording will jump to the moment when you made that note. I haven't used it in years though so no clue how good it is nowadays.

EDIT: So actually I only ever did this with an app called Soundnote. Notes plus does have some audio recording, but I'm not sure if it allows you to tap a word to jump to a point in the recording.

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 11, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Go rent a good mic from a music store.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
But I just want to record voice on my iPhone with a lapel mic plugged into it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And you can certainly do that but it will sound like poo poo.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

But I just want to record voice on my iPhone with a lapel mic plugged into it.

I thought you said you needed to record high-quality VO for a movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Borrow a Zoom H4n or something, every film student / YouTuber in the world knows somebody with one.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
An app isn't going to make anything sound better if your mic is poo poo

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Borrow a Zoom H4n or something, every film student / YouTuber in the world knows somebody with one.

Hell, if you're a student there's a good chance you can just check one out from your university.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I loved Google Music when I had my Android phones, but now that I have an iPhone and use Apple CarPlay so drat much, I'm stuck with Apple Music. I hope they open up Carplay to more third apps (lolololol right)

Works with Spotify :kiddo:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

skull mask mcgee posted:

Hell, if you're a student there's a good chance you can just check one out from your university.

Do this. My university even opened up a podcast studio sometime last year open to all students. At the very least, you may be able to rent/borrow a mic from the school's news/radio team or something.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Works with Spotify :kiddo:

I just can't imagine either ones music app on the others car platform (Google Music on CarPlay, Apple music on Android Auto). One can keep hoping though!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Given Google's track record I'm a little surprised they didn't support CarPlay before Android Auto :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I use Google Play Music with CarPlay and it works fine, I can skip tracks and all that no problem.

I was used to just using bluetooth before my car got the carplay upgrade so I have low standards, can't browse on my car's display etc. Now it shows the album art where it doesn't with bluetooth :toot:

I've thought about switching to apple music but nahhh. I get $2 off per month with google so I can just stick with it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm using an old college email to get that student deal, €5 a month for Apple Music is very naice 👍

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is there a student deal on the family plan or no

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get Opener, it's free. You can make a share extension that opens YouTube URLs directly in ProTube

Wait i'm kind of confused as to the purpose of this app can someone explain it like I'm five

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wait i'm kind of confused as to the purpose of this app can someone explain it like I'm five

It opens ProTube automatically if you tell it to once you hit the Opener icon on the Share sheet.
It's really customisable and you can integrate it with Workflow if you're a massive nerd. I just use it for ProTube and VSCO

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh ok, will this open poo poo in chrome if it defaults to safari and I can't change it from that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think so but I don't use chrome on my iPhone.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I just looked at the list of supported apps and didn't see Chrome in there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I need a very specific document sharing app. Here's our situation at my company:

We have 20-30 company iPad's that are used by employees. As per legal requirements our SOP documents (PDF) must be downloaded and updated on each iPad as they come out. People are annoyed because our current method is is to upload the document online to a server that people can open in Safari, email them that a new version is out and to download the file to iBooks. It's not a big deal this way but you know how some people just can't be bothered to do a thing that they don't personally think is important.

So what I would love to bring to the table is a document viewer that syncs or updates 20 iPads off one master copy. Bonus points if there's any adobe style reader that can load a table of contents. It doesn't have to force push, I'd almost prefer just getting a notification that document version X is now version Y and to click here to update it. Basically just a document viewer that can notify and update the docs as I upload newer copies.

Is this making any sense?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Goodreader?

Alternately, fire anyone caught not following policy re: SOP doc updates.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Does iCloud Drive allow sharing across accounts? If so, you could put the master in iCloud, and let them access it through iBooks.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

GoodReader would probably be your best bet, though it looks like FoxIt has their own cloud PDF syncing poo poo that you may want to look into.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I love good reader but wish the ui was a little more...simple, I guess.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
PDF Expert can sync folders with cloud services and possibly dumber servers like FTP.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there an app that would show the current moonphase in a widget?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I'm sure many of the apps that show up when you search for "Moon phase widget" will do that yes

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure many of the apps that show up when you search for "Moon phase widget" will do that yes

:goonsay:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have a portable device that hosts its own AP. Is there a way to set iOS to only connect to that AP manually if I save the SSID password?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Snowy posted:

sorry about ur wiccan skyclad midnight hiking meetup group

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry I meant one that's *goon-approved* or especially good in some way as opposed to any random moon app.

I went with MOON, seems to do the trick. Ain't no werewolves catching me now.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Quick goons which apps do I impulsively buy before the UK app store prices go up?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/17/app-store-app-prices-to-rise-in-the-uk-by-25-following-brexit-exchange-rate-fluctuations/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably just hold off since the dollar is going to drop on Friday and it won't actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GobiasIndustries posted:

I have a portable device that hosts its own AP. Is there a way to set iOS to only connect to that AP manually if I save the SSID password?

Nope, it sucks.