Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty interesting breakdown of how the PS4 works at a bare metal level. I learned a lot, like that the PS4 outputs DisplayPort and then converts it to HDMI

:psypop:

Helps if I put the link in: https://youtu.be/6hxEUm-pHUE

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of crazy that Sony basically kept the same controller design for like 20 years. If it was the perfect controller, sure but it was already feeling like a POS by the OG Xbox controller redesign.

I credit the DS3 as the main reason I played 90% of games on Xbox last gen.

DS4 is the best controller ever made outside of the thumbsticks which I will always dislike.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't like the hanging triggers. I feel like I'm damaging them when I place it on a hard surface

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

I don't like the hanging triggers. I feel like I'm damaging them when I place it on a hard surface

Every dam video streaming service uses them as fast forward and they get triggered on accident all the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Funny enough I actually have that "using the thumb joints" problem that people apparently had on the Dual Shock 3 with the DS4, mainly in Titanfall 2 and Dark Souls 2/3

socialsecurity posted:

Every dam video streaming service uses them as fast forward and they get triggered on accident all the time.

Yeah this is annoying as gently caress. People always flip out here when we use plex and I put down the controller.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

pairofdimes posted:

From the Ars Technica review of the sequel, it sounds like they answer pretty much everything, to the degree that it seemed like the developers were told they weren't going to get any more games to reveal stuff in.

Huh, on one hand that sounds kinda sad but on the other that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's better than doing what Golden Sun and that Sly Cooper sequel did and burning their second chance on a cliffhanger that will never ever be bothered with lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Funny enough I actually have that "using the thumb joints" problem that people apparently had on the Dual Shock 3 with the DS4, mainly in Titanfall 2 and Dark Souls 2/3

Have this problem with Rocket League. Or, I should say, I use the controller like this all the time but it only becomes a problem in Rocket League. It gets so intense that sometimes the top of my thumb goes too far and presses the touchpad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Yeah this is annoying as gently caress. People always flip out here when we use plex and I put down the controller.

This is why Vamos the Blacksmith had to die in my first Dark Souls run :saddowns:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I lost those two little springs that give the triggers some weight when I did the Xbox stick mod and they're even worse now.i like the sticks but I'm not gonna risk it on my second DS4.

(I didn't straight up lose them but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to put them back in place.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

Yeah that is a good point. Although they feel fine enough for gameplay I still think Xbox has better triggers. They are super prone to accidental pushes when the controller is set down.

I'd say.

DS4-Best ergonomics, best D-pad by a mile, best feeling buttons, best feeling bumpers.

Xbox-best thumbsticks, best triggers

subjective- thumbstick placement

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I literally cannot and WILL NOT stop playing Miku.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pretty interesting breakdown of how the PS4 works at a bare metal level. I learned a lot, like that the PS4 outputs DisplayPort and then converts it to HDMI

:psypop:

Did I miss a link or were you referring to something someone said? I'd be interested in knowing more.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

I had to do a bunch of grinding early in my first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 to repent for the sin of putting my controller down for a moment while I was standing on front of Andre of Astora.

The first time Trico grabs you as you jump across a chasm in slo mo in TLG 😭😭😭😭

So good

e: and then you grab his tail!!!!!!!

😭😭😭thank you Ueda

Haha I was just bitching in the TLG thread about how the pre-release gameplay trailer spoiled this moment. Glad you got to experience it fresh :)

acksplode fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 12, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

I had to do a bunch of grinding early in my first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 to repent for the sin of putting my controller down for a moment while I was standing on front of Andre of Astora.

That happened to me in Demon's Souls. The cat walked over the controller while I was pissing and aggroed the nexus vendor 50 hours in.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

try headphones. maybe its just your speaker set up

Nope, for some reason, Miku's voice is just extremely soft in her songs to the point where you can barely make it out over the instruments, if at all. The other characters are also quiet, but not quite to that degree.

Google gives me this, which seems to imply that it's a rare glitch or something? Restarting my ps4 hasn't helped at all. This is lame :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Did I miss a link or were you referring to something someone said? I'd be interested in knowing more.

Probably talking about this presentation from Chaos Computer Congress a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/6hxEUm-pHUE

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not letting this effort post get lost to the last thread. I just got this in the mail and about to open it up. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Right, so I like buying things I don't need.

I spent a while googling about the Razer Raiju and Nacon Revolution.

Neither are sold in the US yet and there's no possible date because of licensing and all that. You can find various reviews about both online. They are both wired. From what I gathered the Nacon seems more recommended--but also is cheaper. I assume that's why. The Razer seems more FPS orientated as it has physical trigger stops, and two extra bumpers? The other you can adjust the deadzone or whatever for the trigger but no stops. The Nacon has raised thumb sticks, the left is concave and right is round. Per google and youtube apparently the FPS freeks will fit on the Nacon sticks, but you probably don't need them. It also has adjustable weights and apparently a lighbar (which you can adjust via the PC app and turn off?) but it will not track VR. Reviews say the sticks seem "loose." Neither are preferable for fighters, but seems the Nacon would be better for that. The nacon also swaps the stick layout to the xbox fashion, which I prefer. The razer seems to be sold out everywhere overseas. It is quite a bit more expensive. Aside from the things mentioned above comfort seems to be what you prefer. A few people seem to equally hate both controllers for being uncomfortable, but I think it just depends what you are used to. They both have four buttons on the bottom to replicate paddles but have completely different layouts.

The nacon has a PC exclusive program that has 4 profiles and a ton of overwhelming features/settings you probably don't need. You can't remap your buttons without the program, The razer has no program but you can remap on the fly.

Anyways you can order both from amazon.co.uk or apparently https://www.game.co.uk/. Amazon says it does not ship to the US on the item description but I just placed my order and per google/reddit people have been getting theirs no prob. Again, the razer one is sold out everywhere. I would like to try it out at least. I ordered two--which is the purchase limit--from amazon UK for 223.96 with expeditated shipping. Says guaranteed delivery date is January 11th. Regular shipping for the 21st-23rd was $9 less. Tax is removed at checkout but there is a shipping fee to make up for it. It says the nacon is 80 pounds but at checkout it says 75? :shrug:

So yeah, two is the limit. I got an extra because hey, it's coming from across the world, why not. Hook up a goon or sell it locally.

Anyways there's my long effort post wall of text :homebrew:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Wendell posted:

I literally cannot and WILL NOT stop playing Miku.

It's really fun even though I'm still having a hard time figuring out the timing and placement of the new L1/R1 slide. Same with the new button holding, also. Like I'll be holding a note and then the exact some button prompt will come up. If I stop holding it and press down again, I don't get the hold bonus. If I keep holding it, I miss the next note.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Anyone in the Beta of For Honor? Looks kind of cool, depending on how tight the combat is. If it's just Dark Souls PvP THE GAME it could be pretty fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I tried the miku demo and the rhythm of the inputs seems off from the song am i just bad or is that the case?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Apologies if this has already been covered, but how the gently caress is Ark, currently an early access game on steam, currently selling for $55 on PS4?

Not only that, there's loving DLC? How in the gently caress is there DLC on an unfinished game?

What the poo poo?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I tried the miku demo and the rhythm of the inputs seems off from the song am i just bad or is that the case?

like many rhythm games if you arent playing on the harder difficulties they will often simplify rhythms in a way that makes them match the song less

unless you just mean you havent calibrated the lag in the options

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I bought abzu on sale y'all make me feel like I overpaid 😷I really liked the multiplayer aspect of Journey, added charm to it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

like many rhythm games if you arent playing on the harder difficulties they will often simplify rhythms in a way that makes them match the song less

unless you just mean you havent calibrated the lag in the options

oh weird.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I bought abzu on sale y'all make me feel like I overpaid 😷I really liked the multiplayer aspect of Journey, added charm to it

yeah i got it for 8 dollars and the music is good so i'm not that bummed but i really hate the gameplay

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but how the gently caress is Ark, currently an early access game on steam, currently selling for $55 on PS4?

Not only that, there's loving DLC? How in the gently caress is there DLC on an unfinished game?

What the poo poo?

Yeah it's baffling. The weirdest part is that there are usually 3 full parties of people playing it when I'm checking parties. It looks like a joke.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

What the poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah i got it for 8 dollars and the music is good so i'm not that bummed but i really hate the gameplay

Would be perfect for VR I'd think

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Someone help me secure the rights to NecroTech and Secret Agent Codename Agent NINA Secret Agent so we can make $$$ by selling them for $40 on PS4.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does anyone else think it is inexcusable that the PS3 had a great media remote but the PS4, over 3 years in, still only has a 3rd party POS?

The DS4 is simply horrible for media playback.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah it's pretty dumb but y'all should have a nice roku or smart TV for that poo poo :can: idk why peeps use a PS4, especially a pro, for streaming

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you have a modern TV, just set up CEC and use your TV remote to control your PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah it's pretty dumb but y'all should have a nice roku or smart TV for that poo poo :can: idk why peeps use a PS4, especially a pro, for streaming

maybe they get paid to waste energy.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bravia tv remote works but I use my chromecast to stream.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

homeless snail posted:

If you have a modern TV, just set up CEC and use your TV remote to control your PS4.

I couldn't get it to work with my KS8000 :saddowns:

I don't wanna spook y'all but everything I read online says any form of CEC/whatever causes input lag with your TV. I'm sure it depends on the TV but something to consider

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have other devices, but the PS4 is my blu ray player. That's the problem, really.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I couldn't get it to work with my KS8000 :saddowns:

I don't wanna spook y'all but everything I read online says any form of CEC/whatever causes input lag with your TV. I'm sure it depends on the TV but something to consider

nah thats a false rumor.

also cec works on my 55" ks8000

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Anyone in the Beta of For Honor? Looks kind of cool, depending on how tight the combat is. If it's just Dark Souls PvP THE GAME it could be pretty fun.

I've been in previous betas and.... yeah it's not tight. Hope they fixed it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Miku seems fun but if the two demo songs are any indication I'm guessing the music is a real mixed bag. 1/6 is pretty decent and has a nice beat but Weekender Girl is really not good.

Also what's the deal with having 4 different ways to buy it. I have no idea what these things are :psyduck:

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

CEC is awesome... until it randomly decided to not work anymore :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

weekender girl is one of her best songs soooooo

there are two 100+ track packs or you can buy them both together, those are the only ways to buy it