Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

harperdc posted:

uh, no. because the safety would be sub-Group B levels as well.

The complete and utter disregard for safety was a huge part of the appeal of group B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I actually think the late Group B era, say '85 and '86, is nowhere near as enjoyable to watch as the Group 4 and early Group B days. The drivers simply looked scared and the cars couldn't be driven to anything like their potential.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Group A (the Lancia/Toyota period and the later mixed Group A/World Rally Car period) more than Group B. You could make a decent case for 1998-2001 being the peak of WRC.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd agree. When the Group A Formula was abandoned it fell off of a cliff. Group B resonates more with me because of how wacky the cars were.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Alain Post posted:

I like Group A (the Lancia/Toyota period and the later mixed Group A/World Rally Car period) more than Group B. You could make a decent case for 1998-2001 being the peak of WRC.

Group A was really, really good up until they neutered the events and the mega-fraud Makinen rose to prominence. Every rally became the same after that: Colin McRae would scream off into a ten minute lead after four stages and then drive into a tree, Sainz would then valiantly maintain a lead even as he struggled with punctures right up until the inevitable point his car would break down, and eventually Makinen would finish the rally 2 seconds ahead of all the actually interesting drivers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Makinen was the only guy who knew how to drive the Lancer Evo. Good comp is how only Casey Stoner could ride a Ducati in MotoGP.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm also under the impression that Mitsubishi spent a lot less than their competitors.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm also under the impression that Mitsubishi spent a lot less than their competitors.
That could well be true. I know they were still using a Group A car for like five years after the WRC spec came in.

One of the other good things about Group A: crazy homologation specials.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
A four time WRC champion that is universally respected in a team with less budget and resources than anyone else is a mega-fraud, gotcha.

quote:

I know they were still using a Group A car for like five years after the WRC spec came in

Mitsubitsi correctly believed that homologating VO's gave the Lancer as much freedoms as straight out WRC did for much cheaper.

quote:

When the Group A Formula was abandoned it fell off of a cliff. Group B resonates more with me because of how wacky the cars were.

Then you are going to loooooove the 2017 crop of WRC vehicles.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Group B was rad because it produced poo poo like a twin charged four wheel drive Lancia.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Makinen was the only guy who knew how to drive the Lancer Evo. Good comp is how only Casey Stoner could ride a Ducati in MotoGP.

I hadn't thought of it that way, that makes a lot of sense. Other guys like Burns couldn't really get it to work, and their other drivers post-Makinen didn't either.

yeah that mid-late '90s period is awesome. I also just went to Toyota's massive showroom/museum/facility in Tokyo, MegaWeb, and they have a lot dedicated to their rally history. The History Garage has a new section dedicated to motorsport, and that's focused on rally right now, with a half-dozen authentic cars including the 1995 Safari Rally winner, which still looks beaten to hell and back. They also have one of the Group S MR2 prototypes. Whole lotta Castrol liveried cars.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A four time WRC champion that is universally respected in a team with less budget and resources than anyone else is a mega-fraud, gotcha.

Well, he'd only be a small fraud if he hadn't won four titles, wouldn't he? Seriously though, it took an incredible amount of things going his way for that to happen: Toyota's ban, Colin McRae always crashing out from the lead at crucial moments, Carlos Sainz's constant unbelievable bad luck... what year was it Sainz's car literally died 200 meters from the end of the season?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I'm Crap posted:

Well, he'd only be a small fraud if he hadn't won four titles, wouldn't he? Seriously though, it took an incredible amount of things going his way for that to happen: Toyota's ban, Colin McRae always crashing out from the lead at crucial moments, Carlos Sainz's constant unbelievable bad luck... what year was it Sainz's car literally died 200 meters from the end of the season?

It doesn't deny that Makinen is in actual fact considered one the truly great rally drivers and on a level above McRae and Sainz - Is Loeb a fraud because he had completely inhuman luck and had cars that didnt break down alongside monster budgets? There truth is that what you call "luck" is in fact proper preparation and caring about details, two things Makinen was legendary about *especially* given the lovely budgets Mitsubitshi worked with - and still is today now he's about to bring Toyota into the WRC once again. Plus you know, it's kinda important to stay on the road if you want to win.

Calling Makinen a fraud is a truly dumb statement and shows a complete lack of rallying knowledge.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Calling Makinen a fraud is a truly dumb statement and shows a complete lack of rallying knowledge.

:ssh: he's a "fraud" because the F1 thread is leaking :ssh:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Colin McRae crashed from the lead a lot because he was a crasher. And I love Sainz but there's no way TTE didn't have a far larger budget than Ralliart did in those days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

big fraud makinen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UorDbxfBQLU&t=44s

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Compare to

https://gfycat.com/JoyousFastFallowdeer

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol my bad i probably shoulda watched that video to the end before posting, but hey, its still dope and you get to hear a stereotypical finish dude talk over the video

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Seems pretty fraudulent near the end to me. :colbert:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wow Cygni, you look different with all that egg on your face.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jokes on you, its peepee (its topical because of trump and the golden showers thing, you see)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Anybody else watching the Chili Bowl?

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It doesn't deny that Makinen is in actual fact considered one the truly great rally drivers and on a level above McRae and Sainz - Is Loeb a fraud because he had completely inhuman luck and had cars that didnt break down alongside monster budgets? There truth is that what you call "luck" is in fact proper preparation and caring about details, two things Makinen was legendary about *especially* given the lovely budgets Mitsubitshi worked with - and still is today now he's about to bring Toyota into the WRC once again. Plus you know, it's kinda important to stay on the road if you want to win.

It was a simple, basic, old and extremely obvious joke, my dude. Jesus.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm Crap posted:

1998, and yes it directly handed Tommi that championship.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm Crap posted:

It was a simple, basic, old and extremely obvious joke, my dude. Jesus.

I just think the Lancer is a ugly loving Car. That makes him a fraud in my book.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Lancer Evolution looks badass what the hell are you on about?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Lancer Evolution looks badass what the hell are you on about?

Never been a fan of Mitsubishi styling. :shrug:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Euro Corolla looks 1000 times worse. Which is a shame because the Celica GT4 is probably my favourite Group A car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I need to watch more group A. I went nuts watching everything I could find about Group B and fell in love.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/137633-wec-manor-commits-to-2018-lmp1-with-ginetta

but... why?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Is this the same Manor that just went bankrupt in F1?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Bentai posted:

Yes and no, it's an offshoot of it and the old management before the new buyer came in two years ago. Still incredibly stupid given the year they had in LMP2 though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its probably the best avenue in racing if you want to launder money tho

thats the only reason i can think of to participate in privateer lmp1

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Essentially it's the Manor that went bankrupt in F1 2 years ago.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
They have a near-endless supply of pay drivers who are ranked too high for LMP2, and it's those guys who want to launder the money.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

No, this is Manor Motorsport. The F1 team was founded by them but incorporated as a distinct company. It was sold first to Marussia, then some former Tesco exec. It's like how Motorola was split into two halves after Google sold them, but Lenovo only owns one of them.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ban the word fraud from all motorsports threads

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Looks like MSV is buying Donington. No way this doesn't lead to the track trying to get the British GP if Silverstone drops it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 12, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

julian assflange posted:

Ban the word fraud from all motorsports threads

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of frauds, there are racecars on track for Dubai 24h qualifying. Nismo TV are streaming it with RLM commentary.

• Locked thread