Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life - Manchild moving out arc continues.

Mike is secretly Dr. Krieger, creating his own Fister Roboto!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDekhoeEoCc

I really had to check to make sure this wasn't an edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I'm pretty sure that when Mandrake took 75% of their power he also lowered their IQ the same amount.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

I'm pretty sure that when Mandrake took 75% of their power he also lowered their IQ the same amount.

I just want to read the adventures of Luciphor and Derek forever. Or maybe have them go up against newspaper Spider-Man. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Castor Oyl is a breatharian.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

I love this. :allears:

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

$(".item-comic-link-disabled").removeClass("item-comic-link-disabled");

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 12, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Oh Lyndon

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wasn't actually aware that Mandrake and his knock-off relatives had powers other than "hypnotize people with mystical gestures and make them perceive whatever you want."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Very predictive.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dogs acting like dogs, not men, on Ballard Street!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

So is this a metaphorical representation of the same guy we've seen up until now or is this just literally every friendship Baek-ho has? Former seems more likely, but the latter would be funnier.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

There's a new drawing of Chief Dharma at the top, and a bigger picture of the dancing image. I remember someone asking for one of those years ago.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Argh, this is not my day! I know I was scanning something and was going to ask for people's preference, but the scanner seems to have hosed up and now I've totally forgotten what it was :ohdear:

˙pɐǝɹɥʇ
ǝɥʇ uᴉ uǝǝs ʎllɐɯɹou ʇ,uǝɹɐ ʇɐɥʇ
sdᴉɹʇs ɹǝdɐdsʍǝu lɐɔol pɹᴉǝʍ ɹo
ʎʇʇᴉɥs ɹnoʎ ǝɹɐ ʇuǝɯʎɐd ɟo sɯɹoℲ
¡xɐʇ uᴉɯooW ʎɐd oʇ ǝɹɐdǝɹԀ

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Honestly, it's a little terrifying to think about how so much of this little girl's life is just gone. She's only like 6. 1/6 of her life has gone poof. Considering she probably doesn't even really remember anything until around 3 or so, it's closer to a third. The entire book project, Rene the art teacher, Mrs P., Bugsy, any new friend she made in her new school; all strangers now.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Of course she won't call him Cindy. He's the Professor! :rimshot:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Honestly, it's a little terrifying to think about how so much of this little girl's life is just gone. She's only like 6. 1/6 of her life has gone poof. Considering she probably doesn't even really remember anything until around 3 or so, it's closer to a third. The entire book project, Rene the art teacher, Mrs P., Bugsy, any new friend she made in her new school; all strangers now.

Yeah, I've been feeling pretty bad about this whole deal. I wish something else was done to undo the 'rich people keep getting richer and everything goes well for them' streak they had.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Eh, How much of being 6 do most people remember anyway?

"I kicked a ball a bit, pet a dog, threw up some, and had some juice."

She's not depressed, isn't brain damaged. Not a huge deal. It will be a huge deal, if you keep shoving what she's forgotten in her face. Gonna give her a complex.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Once you accept this you can make strides in therapy.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

From where I'm sitting Rex Morgan could also stand to undergo bankruptcy. Just really pile on the misfortune for a while in some kind of hosed up reverse catharsis. I have tasted the sweet fruits of Judge Parker and demand more.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Eh, How much of being 6 do most people remember anyway?

"I kicked a ball a bit, pet a dog, threw up some, and had some juice."

She's not depressed, isn't brain damaged. Not a huge deal. It will be a huge deal, if you keep shoving what she's forgotten in her face. Gonna give her a complex.
Well I don't remember much now about when I was 6, but I live with a 5-year-old and a 7-year-old, and they certainly remember a lot from the last few years of their lives, and as someone who has been there with them, I know they've seen and experienced a lot. They're not toddlers at that age by any means. Losing a whole year of memory would be a huge deal for them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

quote:

Pearls Before Swine

This reasoning is actually backwards. Email scammers use the same old hackneyed scheme again and again because it weeds out people smart enough not to fall for the scam. If 99.9% of people can quickly identify an nigerian prince scam, well, your 1000 emails sent have quickly found the 1 person dumb enough to send you money.

Re the Morgan daughter, my understanding is that memory loss like that is usually temporary. I imagine there will be a heartwarming moment when she starts to remember some things (but maybe being a prodigy artist gets retconned).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Fingerpori

-You've been in a fight.
-No! I slipped on a street.
-What about that mark?
-Skull weather.

"Pääkallokeli" = Weather conditions that cause dangerous icy roads. Apparently "kalla"/"kallo" used to mean ice but that meaning has been forgotten and replaced with "(pää)kallo" = skull (which is much cooler and still quite fitting).

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 12, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Safety Dance posted:

This reasoning is actually backwards. Email scammers use the same old hackneyed scheme again and again because it weeds out people smart enough not to fall for the scam. If 99.9% of people can quickly identify an nigerian prince scam, well, your 1000 emails sent have quickly found the 1 person dumb enough to send you money.

Re the Morgan daughter, my understanding is that memory loss like that is usually temporary. I imagine there will be a heartwarming moment when she starts to remember some things (but maybe being a prodigy artist gets retconned).

So what you're saying is Ces decided to turn Rex Morgan into the last episode of Full House?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

I love how it looks like Phantom just decked that last dude as he was walking past.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Bernice is the smart and level-headed one. :downs:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

I love that Sal and Ted are definitely late Gen X, and Ces refuses to let them slide into the default that Comics parents are Boomers, if not older.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

sweeperbravo posted:

So what you're saying is Ces decided to turn Rex Morgan into the last episode of Full House?

Ces isn't writing "Rex Morgan," he's writing "Judge Parker." "Rex Morgan'"s slide into childhood amnesia retconning is completely unexplained as far as I know.

Asaekkiga has no one to stop the wealthy!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori
For those who came in late, you should also know that the Phantom is a recurring Fingerpori character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I love that Sal and Ted are definitely late Gen X, and Ces refuses to let them slide into the default that Comics parents are Boomers, if not older.
With Hil's age, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to be boomers. It would mean they had her at 40 years old at the youngest, which is not impossible, but is very unlikely.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

My Lovely Horse posted:

For those who came in late, you should also know that the Phantom is a recurring Fingerpori character.

Phantom's Skull Cave is even located within Fingerpori city limits, this is canon.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Endless Mike posted:

With Hil's age, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to be boomers. It would mean they had her at 40 years old at the youngest, which is not impossible, but is very unlikely.

True, but that's also a point in favor of Ces. Compare the other strips on the comics page where parents are written as considerably older than is now realistic by those same metrics (Curtis, various legacy strips, arguably Dustin, etc.).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

drat, that's a long leg.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Say Nothing posted:

drat, that's a long leg.

Special guest cartoonist: Brooke McEldowney.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

To be fair though, I think he is actually just doing exactly the same thing all those other authors are, which is make the main characters his own age. It's just that his age happens to be appropriate to the characters right now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tiggum posted:

To be fair though, I think he is actually just doing exactly the same thing all those other authors are, which is make the main characters his own age. It's just that his age happens to be appropriate to the characters right now.

That doesn't become a huge issue until the main characters range from eight to eighty and are all the same person

GUY GILCHRIST

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Well, they were kind of clashing with the neon beer signs and the nudie mag pinups.

9 Chickweed Lane

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Big Nate

They still sell new stories in the "classic" Archie style, man. You can get your weird cartoony rocks off that way just fine.

Baldo has caught a case of the Gilchrist and needs a full hack-endectomy, stat:

Curtis

And ahahahahaha, Wizard of Id definitely has someone new on the writing staff:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Vargo posted:

And ahahahahaha, Wizard of Id definitely has someone new on the writing staff:

Wow, I was expecting a " The king is short" joke.

Now I'm not annoyed its in my local paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I want to punch this guy in the face SOOOO HARD. :mad:

• Locked thread