Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Haha man I wish I had a yard that was convenient for one of those. My backyard is like down a flight of steps, my land slants down so I have a deck out the back door then the back yard is 15 feet below and is still on a slope so there's like no good place for me to put one even if I had one. I'm jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Doom Rooster posted:

Looks crazy awesome! And the pizza looks really good too.

What are you using for tomato? That looks crazy thick.

Thanks! They're San Marzano tomatoes, but I cook them down a little then stick blend it to smooth it a bit. It was definitely thicker than usual, but still thinner than it looks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Do you prefer the flavor of the cooked, or are you just trying to get rid of some of the water to prevent a soupy pie?

I run mine through the medium grind on a food mill to get a consistent texture and get rid of all of the seeds, but my favorite brand of tomatoes is still a little too watery. I plop that mixture into a fine mesh cheesecloth and let it drain. After about 20 minutes I end up with tomato solids the consistency of yogurt, and just add the tomato water back in to reach my desired consistency and chuck (or repurpose) the rest. I wash and reuse the cloth. It's a tiny bit more effort, but I get the perfect product without having to sacrifice the bright fresh tomato taste.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Do you prefer the flavor of the cooked, or are you just trying to get rid of some of the water to prevent a soupy pie?

I run mine through the medium grind on a food mill to get a consistent texture and get rid of all of the seeds, but my favorite brand of tomatoes is still a little too watery. I plop that mixture into a fine mesh cheesecloth and let it drain. After about 20 minutes I end up with tomato solids the consistency of yogurt, and just add the tomato water back in to reach my desired consistency and chuck (or repurpose) the rest. I wash and reuse the cloth. It's a tiny bit more effort, but I get the perfect product without having to sacrifice the bright fresh tomato taste.

It's a bit of both in regards to flavor and water content. I find that with my sourdough crust, a fresh crushed tomato is just harsh combo with the funkiness of the sourdough. I do a light sautee of some super finely minced onions and garlic, then stew down the tomatoes and basil with them. Maybe 1-2 hours at the most. Stick blend after to make even (I found that "natural broken" chunkiness just wasn't working for spreading on my pies) and let sit for a day or two to flavor up in intensity. It mellows the tomatoes and adds jusssst the finest edge of sweetness to balance the dough and helps round out the overall pizza better. Were I working with a fresh active yeast dough, I would definitely run more a straight traditional uncooked blend of San Marzanos. They're a wonderful tomato, regardless of how they're prepared - I've found them to be really forgiving overall.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That sounds really awesome. I may have to give that a try.

What brand of tomatoes are you using?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I got my stone/steel combo, I'm not sure i agree with the use directions with the stone all the way on the top rack on the broiler and the steel at the bottom.

Wouldn't it be better to bring the stone down a shelf or two to help the top of whatever i'm baking (bread/pizza)?

Or is the steel and broiler the real best method?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 14, 2016

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

That sounds really awesome. I may have to give that a try.

What brand of tomatoes are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/Marzano-Auth...TQ2DCV89E2&th=1

I just started using these because I can buy 'em 6 at a time. I'm slowly scaling up to larger and larger crowds, and need to start sourcing bulk items to help costs. There were a lot of other factors going on when I tried the first batch of tomatoes, but they were good and didn't seem any different than the DOP San Marzano tomatoes I would get at Whole Foods or Sprouts.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Regas are good, but you should give Carmelinas a try on your next order. They don't have the DOP stamp, but they are from Campania, they're notably cheaper, and they are tied for the best tomato that I have tried. I went through 12ish brands side by side, and Carmelina was tied with the Gusta Rosso's that were like $12 PER CAN, through an intermediary since they are only sold in Italy.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

The Regas are good, but you should give Carmelinas a try on your next order. They don't have the DOP stamp, but they are from Campania, they're notably cheaper, and they are tied for the best tomato that I have tried. I went through 12ish brands side by side, and Carmelina was tied with the Gusta Rosso's that were like $12 PER CAN, through an intermediary since they are only sold in Italy.

Ordered! Thank you for the rec, can't wait to try them. The other tomatoes make for a good pasta sauce anyhow.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I love my homemade pizzas, they are extremely basic but to me they're delicious. Typically when I make them, I only have saputo mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, spicy pepperoni and various peppers, occasionally I may throw oregano & basil on the pizza sauce or add bacon but that's about it. I'd like to start making new variations but I'm not a cheese, deli meat, processed meat kind of guy so I'm wondering what kind of cheeses/meats/spices I can add/use to mix it up and add more flavour?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

whatupdet posted:

I love my homemade pizzas, they are extremely basic but to me they're delicious. Typically when I make them, I only have saputo mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, spicy pepperoni and various peppers, occasionally I may throw oregano & basil on the pizza sauce or add bacon but that's about it. I'd like to start making new variations but I'm not a cheese, deli meat, processed meat kind of guy so I'm wondering what kind of cheeses/meats/spices I can add/use to mix it up and add more flavour?

Don't neglect the veggies! I love deeply browned mushrooms on my pizza, as well as thinly sliced raw onion that cooks just enough while the pizza's cooking to take off that raw bite but still provide crunch.

I also love to mince a ton of fresh garlic and use it for a garlic and olive oil base rather than tomato sauce. I actually use that more often than an actual sauce. Forget about sexytimes if you do that, though.

A very non-traditional topping but one I really enjoy is cubed and roasted tofu. Toss tofu cubes with salt, tons of black pepper and a neutral oil and roast until golden and slightly crispy on the outside, but still tender and soft on the inside. It still tastes quite meaty and is a nice change of pace sometimes.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Slow cooked and shredded pork shoulder is great on pizza, whether or not you're saucing the meat. I really like unsauced pulled pork, feta , mozzarella and a variety of pickled hot peppers with very light tomato sauce.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
^^^^ That sounds loving delicious, and I am going to do that.

Try out various charcuterie. If you've got a mid-upscale grocery with a well stocked deli counter, ask any of the non bored teenager types about what charcuteries cook well. You can go raw as well, that you put on right as the pizza comes out super hot, to melt a little. Some of my favorites:

Cooked on pizza:
Calabrese
Hot Sopressata
any "Napoli" salami

After pulling out:
prosciutto
SUPER thinly shaved guanciale
Bresaola

For veggies, my absolute favorite is mushrooms. Just sliced and cooked on the pie is good, but you can do better! I quarter my mushrooms, then sautee them very hot in some butter and olive oil and salt. You want some real browning on there, not just cooking them through. When they are done and you turn off the heat, stir in a crushed clove of garlic and a sprig of rosemary. The residual heat will cook them some, and they'll be perfect when they come out of the oven.

Don't underestimate the value of tossing a thin layer of lightly-dressed normal/baby arugula on top after coming out of the oven. Lends some great fresh flavor and a great texture. One of my favorite pies is just provolone and olive oil in the oven, topped with prosciuto, then a balsamic dressed arugula with parm shavings. Simple and delicious. You can pick out each individual flavor distinctly, and together they are awesome.

For other toppings/sauces:

Lemon-infused olive oil (just grate a ton of zest into a light olive oil, heat up for a few minutes, strain)
Chili oil! Go to an Asian market and try a bunch (Ning Chi Extra Hot is my favorite)
Adobo sauce out of a can of chipotles
Smoked salt
Mexican Crema (If you can find crema in a mexican grocery, or your normal grocery store, just search for recipes for flavored cremas, like chipotle, cilantro lime, etc...)

Just have fun and experiment. Yeah, it sucks if you go to a lot of effort and end up not liking something, but you won't discover great new stuff without risking it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The family suprised me with a new portable pizza oven...

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 26, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I had an Uuni, and it is absolutely capable of kicking out some amazing pies. You're going to love it!

Some hard-learned lessons though:

Buy the pellets from Uuni. Every other brand of pellet I tried burned dirtier, less consistently, and at least 75 degrees cooler. Half of the other pellets left this awful dark resin on my pies.

Start the fire with the chute adjuster on the lowest setting, once you have a stable fire, open it all the way up.You're actually going to even want to wangjangle some more pellets than naturally fall out, out over the fire to get it roaring hot.

The fire goes in cycles as you knock more pellets loose. You are going to want to give it a full hot cycle to heat up the floor, then knock some more pellets loose to get another hot cycle going. Make your pizza quickly and launch it right as the new hot cycle is in full swing to get proper top browning.

Don't overload your pies with toppings. The steel peel it comes with is not actually super slippery, and the heavier your pie, the more flour you need, which scorches on the bottom and becomes bitter. Unless you want to make a custom wood peel to fit the Uuni, keep your pies relatively lightly topped (in the style of GLORIOUS NAPPOLI anyway).

If you are cooking for more than one person, plan on it being a event for the night. It doesn't make huge pies, or kick them out quickly, so if you are looking to feed multiple people, it is going to take some time. Make that an event, and you'll have a drat good time of it.

Enjoy! If you have any questions about using yours, don't hesitate to speak up.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Held a NYE pizza party! Good excuse to break in the bigger oven.

One of the proofing trays ready to go!

A Margherita ready to go in the oven!

Making a diavolo style pizza with Calabrian peppers and fennel salami. Get your hands on real Calabrian peppers in oil if you can, they're amazing on pizzas, and the chili oil is a great drizzle on.

Cooking the Calabrian pepper pizza!

Firing off two at a time when I could, which was fun and challenging.

Overall a good night with lots of friends, wine, and pizzas.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Very nice! Where's the finished pizza shots?!? You don't tell your guests they have to wait for their hot food while you instagram it?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Very nice! Where's the finished pizza shots?!? You don't tell your guests they have to wait for their hot food while you instagram it?

The lesson learned was "don't get between a NYE reveler and their pizza."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm going back on a diet this year, and pizza dough might be one of the few things I can make in my new stand mixer that isn't absurdly high in calories per serving.

I've never made homemade pizza before. I'm looking for good dough and sauce recipes. Does anyone have any of either that are particularly good?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
We can definitely sort you out with some good dough recipe options. Can go simple, or super spergy. What's your setup like? How high does your oven go? Gas or electric? Do you already have a pizza stone/steel, and if not, are you willing to spend $20-$150 on one?

What kind of pizza crust do you like? Do you like a dark, earthy, herby sauce, or sweet, or bright and fresh?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Haha, yeah, we're all on the pizza "diet." :mmmhmm:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

We can definitely sort you out with some good dough recipe options. Can go simple, or super spergy. What's your setup like?

I have a small apartment kitchen that I share with a roommate. Not a whole ton of counter space, but I make it work.

Doom Rooster posted:

How high does your oven go?

525 degrees.

Doom Rooster posted:

Gas or electric?

Electric.

Doom Rooster posted:

Do you already have a pizza stone/steel, and if not, are you willing to spend $20-$150 on one?

I don't have one of those, but I could probably spend about $20 to $40 on one.

Doom Rooster posted:

What kind of pizza crust do you like?

... a crispy one? I honestly don't even know how to answer this. I definitely like my pizza to have a crisp to it, but I'm willing to try any type of crust. I'd love to do a deep-dish pizza at some point.

Doom Rooster posted:

Do you like a dark, earthy, herby sauce, or sweet, or bright and fresh?

Again, I have no idea how to answer this. I don't know what about half of those words even mean.

I like Papa John's pan pizza sauce a little better than their regular sauce. Does that help?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry for the delay. Work got crazy, and I wanted this to be pretty complete. I just got through about 80% of an effort post on a laptop before fat fingering f5 instead of the number 4, and lost all of it, so.... Will retype everything up in the next few days. Sorry!

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 6, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eh. start with a 66% hydration dough with 150g total flour, then ask detailed questions.

so per dough:

150g bread flour 100%
100g water 66%
3g salt 2%
3g yeast 2%
4g sugar whatever%
6g olive oil (feel free to skip) 4%

Sauce:

tin of whole tomatoes, crush, reduce, add some fish sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne and oregano to taste. Blend

Cheese + other toppings

Method:
Cast iron or other pan with more olive oil than you think you need, roll out the dough and put in pan. Put in a preheated 500 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.

For Crispy get a stone and:
Stone top shelf, preheat for an hour at max temp, broil and keep the broiler on via a spoon or something for a few minutes. Put the pizza on, probably a 6 minute pie with a stone and not steel.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What do mean by keep the broiler on with a spoon?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pry the oven ajar so it drains heat and keeps the element on.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, is that why it turns off? Well, if you have the stone heated to like 500 and the broiler on, is there any reason you can't just keep the door ajar like on its own?

Between the heat of the stone and the heat of the broiler do you even still need the air itself to be that hot?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I mean, you don't want to just open the door halfway or anything, but if yours can prop open a crack without a spoon, same difference.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Sorry for the delay. Work got crazy, and I wanted this to be pretty complete. I just got through about 80% of an effort post on a laptop before fat fingering f5 instead of the number 4, and lost all of it, so.... Will retype everything up in the next few days. Sorry!

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

eh. start with a 66% hydration dough with 150g total flour, then ask detailed questions.

so per dough:

150g bread flour 100%
100g water 66%
3g salt 2%
3g yeast 2%
4g sugar whatever%
6g olive oil (feel free to skip) 4%

Sauce:

tin of whole tomatoes, crush, reduce, add some fish sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne and oregano to taste. Blend

Cheese + other toppings

Method:
Cast iron or other pan with more olive oil than you think you need, roll out the dough and put in pan. Put in a preheated 500 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.

For Crispy get a stone and:
Stone top shelf, preheat for an hour at max temp, broil and keep the broiler on via a spoon or something for a few minutes. Put the pizza on, probably a 6 minute pie with a stone and not steel.

I am..... skeptical about the idea of adding fish sauce to pizza sauce. That just... doesn't sound right, but I haven't read too much of this thread so maybe it's a common thing and I just don't know it?

Also is there any special equipment I need for making pizza sauce? Like a stick blender?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
A little bit of fish sauce is a pretty common way to up the umami in a sauce or soup. Kenji Lopez-Alt from Serious Eats and The Food Lab calls for putting it in most of his long cooked pasta sauce recipes for instance. For pizza sauce though, I'm not really looking for that sort of umami depth in my tomatoes myself. I like an uncooked sauce personally, just good canned tomatoes crushed or pureed, with s&p, garlic and oregano. This - http://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/how-to-make-the-best-drat-pizza-sauce is basically what I do most of the time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. :)

I am..... skeptical about the idea of adding fish sauce to pizza sauce. That just... doesn't sound right, but I haven't read too much of this thread so maybe it's a common thing and I just don't know it?

Also is there any special equipment I need for making pizza sauce? Like a stick blender?

Fish sauce is just a bunch of glutamates to help the pizza sauce taste more savory. It'd be the same thing as if you'd added a couple anchovies to the sauce, which is quite traditional. Same idea, slightly different application.

I stick blend all my pizza sauce since I like the uniform texture, so get one if you do too, but you can also just use a potato masher if you like it chunkier.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, I was going to effort post, but it was all pretty much just expanding on what Submarine Sandpaper gave you, without actually adding too much value. So, do what they said. (fish sauce is awesome, but you can use regular MSG if you cannot get over the idea of it).

Also, go here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

It it where all of the pizza spergs live, including a ton of pizzeria owners and can answer any question you could ever have. Pick a type you like, go to that subforum, and there will be a plethora of info.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone experimented with the stone + steel locations?

My steel instructions said steel on the bottom, and place the stone all the way up top.
If I only have a steel then yes, place it by the broiler.
To me wouldn't it be better to keep the steel and the bottom and move the stone to the lower middle for a smallish gap between the two?

Assume 550 degree oven vs broiler use.

Terrible ascii representation:

code:
From box/instructions:
|               |
|     Pizza     |
|-----Steel-----|

My brain:
|-----Stone-----|
|     Pizza     |
|-----Steel-----|

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 12, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm always afraid if I put the pizza on the very top of the oven that it will bubble up and actually touch the broiler wire or that it'll be really hard to get in/take out

There's not a lot of room at the top of my oven between the top rack and the broiler

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cat tree assembled! All I need now is a cat

wrong thread. Do the top, the element will instantly clean itself!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha it's not the element I'm worried about!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

toplitzin posted:

Has anyone experimented with the stone + steel locations?

My steel instructions said steel on the bottom, and place the stone all the way up top.
If I only have a steel then yes, place it by the broiler.
To me wouldn't it be better to keep the steel and the bottom and move the stone to the lower middle for a smallish gap between the two?

Assume 550 degree oven vs broiler use.

Terrible ascii representation:

code:

From box/instructions:
|               |
|     Pizza     |
|-----Steel-----|

My brain:
|-----Stone-----|
|     Pizza     |
|-----Steel-----|

Wait I thought the pizza was supposed to sit directly on the stone. :confused:

I don't think I understand what a stone and steel are for.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pizza goes on the steel.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha it's not the element I'm worried about!

parchment will catch on fire, but otherwise you should see smoke well before anything terrible.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

A steel is basically a superior version of a stone. Better heat retention and transfer to the pie, allowing for really great, fast cooking pizza in a typical home oven with the right setup. A stone is better than nothing, but a steel is a whole new ball game. In that diagram the stone is used as a heat sink above the steel/pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html