Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm not saying there's no logic to the controls or that they're tremendously difficult once you learn them, just that they are not at all obvious to someone just jumping in (especially if that person doesn't have prior real-world firearms experience) and are communicated in-game precisely nowhere.

Yea no ingame tutorial is a bit of bummer. He has said he wants to add one at some point but since it's still early days and controls are still changing somewhat he wants to leave until he's sure that controls are locked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
All I know is that there's a hell of a rewarding feeling when you transform from someone who fumbles with a pump-action shotgun, glacially trying load shells into it which spiral off into the distance, to your inevitable decline into a crazy gun nut, flipping shells into the open chamber of his wacky revolver shotgun thing before spinning the chamber and slamming it shut like a badass.

For someone who likes the mechanics of guns but not the actual idea of possessing or firing any in a real life capacity this game is just great. A lot of making your own fun, but I can't resist booting it up despite the fact I have a lot more fully featured actual games to play.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm just waiting for him to keep turning the Meat Grinder into a fully fledged Receiver VR instead of the mediocrity that the current version is. He puts out a lot of first drafts, which I like to see, but I wish he'd spend a bit more time on polish.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Finding and keeping extension cables working with the rift has turned out to be a maddening process. Had ~10' hdmi and usb extensions working great for over two weeks, now headset is bitching and won't stay connected to the PC unless I cut out the extension.

So loving over it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How important is the CPU in futureproofing a VR build?

I'm thinking of building a pc for VR gaming, and I don't want to end up finding out 2 years from now that I need an entire new one. Obviously any graphics card I buy today won't be good for long, but I'm hoping the same isn't true for the CPU or motherboard. Is it likely that an I5 6500 or 6600 won't be powerful enough in the near future?

And, is there anything I'd need to look for in a motherboard to make sure I don't run into trouble any time soon? I know I'd want to make sure it can support 2 graphics cards.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Can either of the headsets even utilize more than one GPU yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Something that overclocks will last you at least three years.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Republicans posted:

Can either of the headsets even utilize more than one GPU yet?
It has nothing to do with which headset you use, it was something that needed to be worked out between the GPU and engine vendors, and its pretty much a done deal at this point. Nvidia and AMD both support per-eye rendering in SLI/crossfire, and UE4 and (I think) Unity both support it in beta versions currently.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I just unboxed my Touch earlier this week, and holy hell these things are amazing. Just incredibly comfortable to hold, and intuitive too. Say what you will about Oculus, but they have some great designers on their team.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I just unboxed my Touch earlier this week, and holy hell these things are amazing. Just incredibly comfortable to hold, and intuitive too. Say what you will about Oculus, but they have some great designers on their team.

I think it's more because they had the time for ergonomics where as HTC released theirs in a rush with the headset.

I'm sure Gen2 will be gloves with feedback so none of it will matter in the end.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Orange Sunshine posted:

I know I'd want to make sure it can support 2 graphics cards.

No VR supports multi GPUs and moreover SLI/Crossfire doesn't scale like you might think it does. Just because you have two graphics cards doesn't mean your games will suddenly run better. Games have to support multiple GPUs and a vast majority of games do not and that's even outside of VR. Get rid of the idea of multiple GPUs you can't future proof against that, instead get the best single GPU you can.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

No VR supports multi GPUs and moreover SLI/Crossfire doesn't scale like you might think it does. Just because you have two graphics cards doesn't mean your games will suddenly run better. Games have to support multiple GPUs and a vast majority of games do not and that's even outside of VR. Get rid of the idea of multiple GPUs you can't future proof against that, instead get the best single GPU you can.

Yeah, today.

But I want to make sure I have a motherboard that can support 2 graphics cards, in case 2 or 3 years from now it turns out you need and want that for VR.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I really don't think that's going to happen.

That said, as long as you're using a full-size ATX motherboard (as opposed to something like ITX or mATX), most good ones will support multi-GPU setups just as a matter of course.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
As time goes on requirements for VR will probably go down, not up, especially if they want that mass market appeal the industry desperately needs. SLI has never really been necessary or factored into most things, I wouldn't worry about it.

Remember that futureproofing has always been a fool's errand, technology can change so quickly that there's no guarantee a flash computer will fare that much better than a solid midrange one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

That's quite surprising for me. I'd have thought SLi would've been top of their list from day-one, if only for ensuring framerate stability.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's quite surprising for me. I'd have thought SLi would've been top of their list from day-one, if only for ensuring framerate stability.

SLI has bad latency effects, and a very small user base.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad sli stopped being a relatively widely supported thing just as I stopped needing it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'm just glad I never opted for SLI.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I did SLI once on the advice of a moron. It was a mistake and I'll never do it again unless it helps for VR.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I get a chuckle every time someone with an SLI rig, in the year of our Luig 2017, is surprised/angry that the latest game doesn't properly support it.

It'll catch on guys, you'll see!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It's me, the SLI user. 3440x1440 is a real bitch for single cards sometimes, I can't even imagine trying to play stuff at 4K. Games not supporting SLI is a bitch too but it works well enough and often enough that I haven't given up on it yet.

For VR it's obviously a waste right now but I haven't run into any performance issues with anything so whatever.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
It isn't like I'm talking poo poo about SLI just because I'm talking poo poo about SLI, I have an SLI system right now and it just isn't worth it. I have two Titan Xs (the first get Titan Xs, not the new hotness) and one of those Predator 100hz 3440x1440 monitors. More often than not any game I'm playing won't support SLI so at best the second card is useless and at worse SLI harms performance with frame stutter. Some games (like GTAV or Elite) do benefit with SLI at this res at this refresh but the vast majority of the time the second card sits useless. SLI will never be for VR outside of maybe one or two token games that Nvidia pushes otherwise like Subjunctive says virtual reality requires speed and wouldn't you know it SLI and Crossfire are anything but fast. A single card will always be faster than two because the single card doesn't have to talk with the other card.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I felt like SLI was the perfect fit for VR for the obvious reason (2 eyeballs 2 graphics cards) but that's coming from a total and complete moron using a child's reasoning

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, if they just rendered two separate images then they wouldn't have to talk to eachother, therefore no latency! :downs:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought Nvidia announced no support, ever for VR on Maxwell, but Pascal might support it one day. As I understand it, the pascal hardware already is capable, but the software isn't there yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

I felt like SLI was the perfect fit for VR for the obvious reason (2 eyeballs 2 graphics cards) but that's coming from a total and complete moron using a child's reasoning
That's how VR SLI works, requires more explicit engine support than more traditional AFR SLI, but it does introduce less latency and fucks with frame timing less than AFR also. Like I said before, UE4 and Unity have beta support for it currently, it won't be long until its in stable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

That's how VR SLI works, requires more explicit engine support than more traditional AFR SLI, but it does introduce less latency and fucks with frame timing less than AFR also. Like I said before, UE4 and Unity have beta support for it currently, it won't be long until its in stable.

Ah, cool. Yeah I thought I heard about some stuff but it's been a lot quieter more recently. I'm guessing that with stuff like ATW and ASW making the targets easier to hit and with foveated rendering offering better performance improvements (based on my understanding) anyway this is gonna end up falling by the wayside again, though

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, if they just rendered two separate images then they wouldn't have to talk to eachother, therefore no latency! :downs:

The latency imposed by alternate frame rendering (as most commonly used in SLI and Crossfire because it's easy and mostly works) is at minimum one full frame, plus whatever driver overhead is involved, plus whatever transfer latency there is for the frames from GPU 2 to get to the one that actually has the output connected.

At the current VR standard of 90Hz the AFR frame delay means an additional 11 milliseconds, where as far as I'm aware the other two parts are on the nanosecond scale.

While there obviously still will be a small amount of latency added by VR SLI its on the level of noise compared to other parts of the system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If someone wanted go whole hog on VR SLI, how hard would it be to set up a two-lane headset cable that plugs into both cards at once so each can feed one eye, then run the cards simultaneously with no attempt to merge their outputs?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I think that latency is one thing, but comparative latency is way worse. If the two eyes ended up even a fraction out of sync your brain is gonna go nuts. Also applicable to real visuals vs cg visuals for AR.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's more of a game engine problem than a headset problem. But only a fraction of people who use a game engine will have VR and two graphics cards so the pressure to optimize for that is very low.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fooz posted:

I think that latency is one thing, but comparative latency is way worse. If the two eyes ended up even a fraction out of sync your brain is gonna go nuts. Also applicable to real visuals vs cg visuals for AR.

Sounds to me you're afraid of unlocking your brain's hidden potential

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Fooz posted:

Easy solution to that...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TerminalSaint posted:

Easy solution to that...

Oculus Drift

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The future of virtual man

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fooz posted:

The future of virtual man

sli_vr.jpg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo GearVR is amazing, you guys. :lsd:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo GearVR is amazing, you guys. :lsd:

Now try big-boy VR :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Now try big-boy VR :v:

I will, one day. When I upgrade my PC :negative:.

And wait to see what kind of Gen-2 headsets and controllers we get this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I will, one day. When I upgrade my PC :negative:.

And wait to see what kind of Gen-2 headsets and controllers we get this year.

Gen2 is going to be way better than Gen1 so you're in luck. OR virtual reality will be dead by then, who knows.