Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please do not pick up clients in a Prius.

This should elementary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sorry, it's been forever - what's your budget?

10,000-18,000

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
Background: I escaped grad school and got a real job. Unfortunately, that real job is in the burbs and my commute is 90 minutes each way through a subway>bus>train>bus and can be 2 hours if something goes wrong in one of my connections (which seems to happen several times a month). I wanted to put up with this for six months (started at the beginning of november), but the commute is driving me crazy despite me really liking the job and at this point I feel pretty secure about my chances of staying on (not much turnover in my job, if anything there's fast growth at the company). For what it's worth, the drive is 30 minutes in ideal traffic conditions, probably 40 minutes in lovely typical toronto traffic (at least i'm reverse commuting). I have never owned a car (school was all downtown), although I am fully licensed, drive my girlfriend's car occasionally and spent a year insured when I lived at home.

Proposed Budget: Not entirely sure... Ideally I'd like to get under 10K CDN but I'm making decent money (60K) and maybe it's better to pay a little more now to have a car that will last longer or is less likely to break down? Or maybe because this is a sanity purchase that I want to do soon while I'm still somewhat precarious financially I should get a sub-3k honda or something? I can only put about 2K down
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door sedan or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commute, groceries.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and mileage. I really just want to be able to get from point a to point b without having to worry about it. Also, no manuals.

E: Note that moving closer isn't an option right now because of a lease. I do plan on moving somewhat closer but I still think a car will be necessary because the GTA suburbs have pretty crappy public transportation and I don't want to move really close to my job because the GF and I want to move in this year and try and split the difference between our two job locations.

Business Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

euphronius posted:

This should elementary.

I'd say it depends on what you're selling and how old the Prius is really.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shooting Blanks posted:

Basically this. And I live in Houston, a town dominated by oil and gas - frankly, every other salesperson I know drives a truck or SUV. I just have no need or desire for either of those.

Check out the Avalon, gently used.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

This should elementary.

If you're selling solar panels or alpaca wool or fair-trade saitan or whatever the Prius is probably perfect.

IRQ posted:

I'd say it depends on what you're selling and how old the Prius is really.

If you're in sales with heavy client interaction with your vehicle you should be leasing or turning over your car fairly frequently.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're in sales with heavy client interaction with your vehicle you should be leasing or turning over your car fairly frequently.

What's the rationale? Flashing a lot of spent money is impressive, yes?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Michael Scott posted:

Same principle as dressing for success. I disagree that a Prius is only good for selling fair trade alpaca droppings or whatever but it's probably best to leave that call up to the guy buying the car who knows his audience.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know a dude who sells industrial valves and pipe stuff or something, most of his clients are in mining or oil and gas.

He drives a truck, despite the long road trips and poor gas mileage. If he drove a sedan he would probably be the only sedan in the parking lot at 90% of the client sites.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Asking your client to get in your lovely ex rental DCT Fiesta sedan isn't very nice for the client now, is it?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

canyoneer posted:

I know a dude who sells industrial valves and pipe stuff or something, most of his clients are in mining or oil and gas.

He drives a truck, despite the long road trips and poor gas mileage. If he drove a sedan he would probably be the only sedan in the parking lot at 90% of the client sites.

If you're selling in the field, or to refineries, yes you drive a truck. I'm torn on sedan vs. truck but it's Houston and not North Dakota.

And hell, new job may still be 100% remote sales in which case it's a moot point and just very lousy timing. Or not sales at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When do you know about the nature of new job?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When do you know about the nature of new job?

It's something I'm beginning to search for again. Post-election or end of the year basically shut down hiring, so I've been keeping an eye on various boards (indeed, glassdoor, linkedin) and specific company sights - job postings are ramping up so I'm revising my resume and versioning it for different roles, with the expectation that I'll start submitting it end of this week or next.

Which is why my original intent was to wait until I had a better idea of what I'd be doing, then buy the car. Having my current car die wasn't really in the plans, so now I'm doing it backwards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't imagine if one of my carpool mates showed up in a Prius one day . I'd die.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

euphronius posted:

I can't imagine if one of my carpool mates showed up in a Prius one day . I'd die.

The 2017 Prius has top IIHS crash ratings in all categories.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Asking your client to get in your lovely ex rental DCT Fiesta sedan isn't very nice for the client now, is it?

:lol: definitely not, I love luxury cars, I'm just poor right now and probably forever. I think it's super interesting how "dress for success" really does work, and wanted to hear more about the auto version from a sales perspective.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Michael Scott posted:

:lol: definitely not, I love luxury cars, I'm just poor right now and probably forever. I think it's super interesting how "dress for success" really does work, and wanted to hear more about the auto version from a sales perspective.

People are more likely to buy from a salesperson they identify with and are comfortable with, ultimately. Think of it as a hiring process - if you're interviewing at a bank, you wear a suit. If you're interviewing at a bar, you'd dress for the job. Sales is like getting hired repeatedly, you are constantly convincing people that your product or service is the best fit for their need, and that they should trust that they'll get good value for your money.

If I'm selling wrenches to mechanics, I'm not going to drive a Mercedes and wear a 3 piece suit. If I'm trying to pitch an investment idea to Goldman Sachs, I'm not going to wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Same thing applies to a car, if you're taking clients out, it applies to the restaurants you take them to, the events and activities - everything. Dressing for success will never close a deal for you, but it can sure as poo poo prevent it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Proposed Budget: $25-$30,000. I'm flexible on this as I have great credit and can finance it through my bank, but let's shoot for that.
New or Used: New or 1-2 years old
Body Style: 4 door, mid size to full size
How will you be using the car?: I prefer few gizmos - my general belief is that the more poo poo there is, the more likely it is to break. I have zero commute as I work from home and mostly in-town driving (store, bank), but I do take the occasional roadtrip with 1 or more friends. It does need to be decent enough that I can take out clients (I'm in sales) - while that doesn't happen currently, I'm looking to change jobs.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and cost of ownership. I want to be able to get the oil changed, brakes fixed, and not think about it much beyond that. My previous car got very few miles towards the end (probably 4-5k per year), if that makes a difference. Good AC is important - I live in Houston and summers are rough. Getting into a black car with black leather is simply unfun - cooled seats would be a nice bonus. Roads are particularly bad here, so something that doesn't have super stiff suspension, and on the smaller side is better. Parking can be a challenge. Those are far less important to me, though.

I'd also suggest looking at the current (2016+) Chevy Malibu and Impala, with the higher-spec engines. Maybe it's just me but I like the styling on those models and they generally review fairly well. (But I have no direct experience with them.)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I can't ever recall a situation where I needed to drive around "clients" or be driven around as a "client" and having anyone care about the car. Occasionally there will be a joke about some spectacular mess, but that's about it. This is over hundreds of meetings and client visits in many places.

If "clients" are actually rich enough to give a poo poo they are going to just hire a proper professional driver, otherwise noone cares if they are sitting in the back of a Prius or an Audi. It's a complete myth, if you want some big nice sedan for yourself then buy a big nice sedan for yourself, nobody else gives a poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I guarantee you it matters to them. It might not even be at a conscious level but if I was buying a house and they rocked up in a Civic I'd be pretty alarmed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Number_6 posted:

I'd also suggest looking at the current (2016+) Chevy Malibu and Impala, with the higher-spec engines. Maybe it's just me but I like the styling on those models and they generally review fairly well. (But I have no direct experience with them.)

The Impala is much nicer than the Malibu in every way, and it was refreshed in 2014 so you can find a good used example.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I can't ever recall a situation where I needed to drive around "clients" or be driven around as a "client" and having anyone care about the car. Occasionally there will be a joke about some spectacular mess, but that's about it. This is over hundreds of meetings and client visits in many places.

If "clients" are actually rich enough to give a poo poo they are going to just hire a proper professional driver, otherwise noone cares if they are sitting in the back of a Prius or an Audi. It's a complete myth, if you want some big nice sedan for yourself then buy a big nice sedan for yourself, nobody else gives a poo poo.

It sounds like you are referring to real estate clients. Most of my clients that I interact with are mid to upper mid level management at very large global companies, and they definitely give a poo poo.

Also clean your loving car if you're going to have anyone else in it, Jesus Christ.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also clean your loving car if you're going to have anyone else in it, Jesus Christ.

I don't understand how people can drive around with their car full of poo poo and garbage rolling around and just generally being disgusting and be okay with it.

I'm not obsessive about washing my car, or even vacuuming out the normal every day dirt and dust of the interior. But actual stuff, or worse, trash, never stay in the car. If you have to move a bunch of garbage and junk around for someone to be able to get into a passenger seat of your car you are disgusting and should feel bad.

Also when people get their car broken into and someone steals their $10,000 camera bag I really have very little sympathy. You just plain don't leave anything in your car, ever. Especially anything remotely valuable. Even your gym bag full of dirty clothes (which you left in there for a week and has made your car reek) is going to entice some tweaker to break in just to have a look-see.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It sounds like you are referring to real estate clients. Most of my clients that I interact with are mid to upper mid level management at very large global companies, and they definitely give a poo poo.

I honestly thought he was referring to being an Uber driver.

Edit: I mostly say that because every RE agent I know drives an SUV or crossover. Never seen one in a Civic, or with anything but a spotless car.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 12, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guinness posted:

I don't understand how people can drive around with their car full of poo poo and garbage rolling around and just generally being disgusting and be okay with it.

If you want to come clean out my car you're welcome to it. That queen sized air mattress in the garbage bag in the back seat kind of works, you can take it inside or to the dumpster I don't care very much either way.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Come watch the ants-vs-cockroaches fights in my car

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The impala is so nice I can't decide between it an the Avalon / es 350.

Chevy seems to hit a home run with it even tho people don't want full size sedans anymore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean the obvious question there is how long do you want it to last?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

140,000 miles

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think I would spend my own money on the Impala in that class. I just drove an Impala LT2 V6 and an Avalon XLE back to back, and the Impala is a better designed car, period. Granted, it may not be quite as reliable, but overall reliability numbers are a lot better than they were a decade ago, so I think it's worth a roll of the dice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah

But only if I can get the black Chevy symbol. Or is that after market .

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
We have some 2014 and 2015 Impalas in the fleet, and one of them has 224,000 miles on it already(it gets driven from hospital to hospital 24/7). It's held up extremely well, no real issues except it needs new cats, CEL went on about a month ago with the dreaded P0420. Has the 3.6V6 with whatever auto they came with. The others are up about 80k miles.

The quality of GM and Ford's newer stuff is so much better than it used to be, it's amazing.

euphronius posted:

Yeah

But only if I can get the black Chevy symbol. Or is that after market .

I think it's only black on the highest trim level, but it does cone that way from the factory.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm about to buy my first new car ever. I have a 2003 Trailblazer that I've just about driven the wheels off of. I'm looking at a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE. Any tips on haggling? They seem dead set on 20k, but everyone says I should be haggling.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Serf posted:

I'm about to buy my first new car ever. I have a 2003 Trailblazer that I've just about driven the wheels off of. I'm looking at a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE. Any tips on haggling? They seem dead set on 20k, but everyone says I should be haggling.

I'd be curious about this as well - I was expecting to use a couple dealers' internet departments to avoid haggling, or ask a buddy in the business to get me invoice pricing via VINs, but I'm not sure if I'm buying in the near future or not. If there's a better strategy I'm all ears.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Serf posted:

Don't buy a Corolla.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't buy a Corolla.

What, why?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, if what is "affordable" to you when it comes to new cars is a Corolla, don't buy a new car. You probably can't afford it even if you think the payments are within your budget.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's not as good as anything else in the same segment.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not as good as anything else in the same segment.

That's a surprise to me, I only ever see the drat things. Along with Priusesessees. Priii.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's because Toyota has been coasting on its brand recognition as "reliable cars" for way too long, and most of its competitors are making better products in the segment than Toyota is.

But a whole lot of "not car people" still buy them because "Toyota = reliable". It's not necessarily wrong, but other cars are just as reliable and offer more modern features and designs for the same or less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Fwiw when I was recently shopping Honda flat out wouldn't negotiate on price, I imagine Toyota can do the same. High demand for their products gives them a pretty secure foundation. Costco auto program pricing is pretty aggressive, if you're a member.

I was pretty surprised to be honest. The new civic had a really awful interior, and a too-high MSRP.