Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this chart is useless unless they isolate chromebooks from linux and other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can you post the mobile stats, i cant look at them at work

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

what on earth was the other that people were using before

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soricidus posted:

what on earth was the other that people were using before

probably console browsers or some old guy using webtv

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

is it even possible to use webtv in any capacity anymore

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

is it even possible to use webtv in any capacity anymore

doubtful if ssl is involved at all

edit:

As of September 30, 2013, MSN TV/WebTV service closed. Existing customers were offered MSN Dial-Up Internet Access account with a promotion. Customer service was available for non-technical and billing questions until January 15, 2014.[1]

maybe?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm the dialup offered in 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phoenixan posted:

i'm the dialup offered in 2013

Same but 2017

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

aren't bsds dead

EDIT: with the obvious exception of the world's most advanced operating system

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beamed posted:

aren't bsds dead

No?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beamed posted:

aren't bsds dead

yes

Beamed posted:

this exception primarily applies to phones

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

because the "just use the os's native widgets instead of rolling your own, you fucks" war was lost some time in the 90s.

people still recommend learning QT for doing GUIs and it's the worst thing
learning js is a bit of a pain but at least it's a skill you can use in the real world

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

funny, you gave an answer but seemed perplexed that your answer was incorrect

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ahmeni posted:

learning js is a bit of a pain but at least it's a skill you can use in the real world

qt is fine though :confused:

what sucked for you?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Beamed posted:

aren't bsds dead

netcraft confirms it

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

is linux good yet?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

qt has a really wonderful javascript binding

you write a declarative ui and then use js to hook poo poo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

chmods please posted:

netcraft confirms it

Doesn't the PS4 use BSD?

Not quite dead yet, I think...

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
also the world's most advanced operation system is bsd-ish

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Maximum Leader posted:

when people say that, they mean advanced as in 'the cancer has advanced through the host', just fyi

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm afraid the prognosis is quite severe. You have stage 4 terminal unix.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

this only matters for phones

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when people say that, they mean advanced as in 'the cancer has advanced through the host', just fyi

works 4 me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this only matters for phones

bash on ubuntu on windows isn't available for windows 10 mobile????

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

qt is fine though :confused:

what sucked for you?

there's nothing wrong with qt itself but if you want to make a UI people will actually use then web is the way to go

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ahmeni posted:

there's nothing wrong with qt itself but if you want to make a UI people will actually use then web is the way to go

note "people will use", not "people will want to use"

web uis are invariably slow, unreliable, fragile, restrictive, unpredictable, and generally terrible. unless your entire use case is "display data from a database", and also you don't want to display more than a few results at a time, in which case they can be tolerable.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

note "people will use", not "people will want to use"

web uis are invariably slow, unreliable, fragile, restrictive, unpredictable, and generally terrible. unless your entire use case is "display data from a database", and also you don't want to display more than a few results at a time, in which case they can be tolerable.

cool opinion from 2010 i guess?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ahmeni posted:

cool opinion from 2010 i guess?

not like web UI has improved since then

or really since 2001 or so

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I have yet to encounter a full web uithat didn't enrage me

even if the ui were gods perfect light you'd still be in a browser with browser shortcuts and drawbacks and you'd still have to be roundtripping needlessly to some edge server for everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
server side rendering is the only way to go. javascript is horseshit

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

*checks broken watch* yep, shaggars right!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is shaggar arguing for an x window system in here?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

*checks broken watch* yep, shaggars right!

second time today, so weird

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Like your list of software you use in Linux. Like you except alternatives and learning new software. I never had a problem doing so when I switch for Windows to Linux. Found alternatives for everything. I didn't game with Windows games until I was like 1 1/2 years into Linux. I just game with Native Linux games. Then I just wanted to see if I could get one of my Windows games working in Linux. First game up Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now (1998). Got it going three days later using wine. It just took a while to learn how to use wine. Then my second game was Re-Volt (1999). Didn't take long to get Re-Volt working. I move up my Windows gaming Library era 1995-2003. Took 6 years later. But, I got all my old Windows games working in Linux. I just had to wait for wine to get better over the years. I switch to Linux in mid July 2003 and never went back to Windows. 13+ years still using Linux and still counting.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I read very little of that post but the most I got was "games on linux" and 1998

The only thing I remember about the late 90s and Games on Linux was that Quake 3 came out on Linux and it was very good. I think I actually have a boxed copy. I know I also purchased Myth 2 on Linux at about the same time.

Tux Racer came out in 2000 and was actually pretty fun for about a half hour.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
not a linux but we run AIX at work

its a good work unix

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

el dorito posted:

Tux Racer came out in 2000 and was actually pretty fun for about a half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Olivil posted:

not a linux but we run AIX at work

its a good work unix

i wasn't aware IBM was even still supporting AIX but of course they are, they'll support anything if you pay them to

are you using it on POWER? are there even workstations any more or just servers?