Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I feel like there are a few upperclassmen who come in and contribute right away every year, but from a personal standpoint I'd go as soon as I could get that guaranteed contract (see the cautionary tale of Alex Poythress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

I have no empirical evidence to back me up, but I'm of the the opposite opinion. Get to an NBA team as soon as you can because they have better coaches, you have no time restrictions on working with them and a pro team has a much bigger incentive to improve the game of a player on a four year contract they are invested in than a college does for someone who could leave and go pro any moment and they can replace with a five star recruit every year. Staying in school is only worth it if you think you could improve from undrafted to a draft pick, or jump from second rounder/late first to a lottery pick. Otherwise declare and get drafted ASAP will be best for you game long term.

You think you may have the opposite opinion but in fact we are discussing two different subjects!

I'm stealing the phrase 'basketball mortality' to describe that moment when a player who's dominated at every level realizes there are limitations to their game that other teams will exploit, things that will shorten their potential careers. If a player feels that basketball mortality in college I think it has a better chance of remaining firmly in their minds, becauase everyone expects a raw NBA rookie to struggle. So if other college teams gameplan around a super toolsy wings lack of shooting and eliminate their team from the conference tournament or what have you, that idea may stick, and they may do what they need to do to develop a shot. It's just an armchair psychological theory.

I do not disagree that the pros are the best place to learn basketball skills, my point is that it sometimes takes more than practice with good coaches to learn, there has to be a need, a deep desire, a fear of being without that thing

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Am I correct in thinking that Hamadou Diallo can be drafted in 2017?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He says he won't but he could. He'll be 19 and a year removed from high school

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Obviously we have to wait until official stuff comes out, but he certainly looks like he's closer to 6'3" than 6'6"

DraftExpress has him at ~6'6" on everything except his official college team record which is weird since you'd think UK would be the one pumping him up. Unless this is just some kind of Calipari mind trick where he doesn't want teams to see that extra 3 inches coming (I doubt it).

chunkles posted:

I feel like there are a few upperclassmen who come in and contribute right away every year, but from a personal standpoint I'd go as soon as I could get that guaranteed contract (see the cautionary tale of Alex Poythress)

I'll never know what this feels like but I think my personal flowchart would be:

Can I get that money? -> If "Yes" -> Get that money

1 million dollars is life loving changing money to almost anyone.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 9, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've posted this before, but it's not like the quality of life of a college star athlete is all that bad. In fact, I am willing to bet for most athletes the college years are more fun than the first couple years in the league. If a guy feels like he wants to extend that experience a bit longer, or he isn't ready for "the real world" (as most 19 year olds aren't) I can't really blame anyone.

The other side is we don't give agents enough credit for what they do. An agent could absolutely have a perspective that might help someone, (maybe it's better to lose a year & a bit of money but the next draft year is more advantageous to that type of player).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The second you are a consensus first round pick, the intelligent thing is to leave for the NBA. We're talking about pure opportunity cost, the risks greatly outweigh the positives of staying for 1-3 more years of college.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I've posted this before, but it's not like the quality of life of a college star athlete is all that bad. In fact, I am willing to bet for most athletes the college years are more fun than the first couple years in the league. If a guy feels like he wants to extend that experience a bit longer, or he isn't ready for "the real world" (as most 19 year olds aren't) I can't really blame anyone.

The other side is we don't give agents enough credit for what they do. An agent could absolutely have a perspective that might help someone, (maybe it's better to lose a year & a bit of money but the next draft year is more advantageous to that type of player).

I don't blame anyone for staying just like I don't blame anyone for leaving. Obviously the best life financial decision is to go out but college has less tangible benefits and if someone chooses it, cool with me.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

EvanTH posted:

Potential Lottery Picks whose names have not been mentioned yet:

OG Anunoby

Good News
https://streamable.com/srjt8

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What can you guys tell me about Bam Adebayo? He seemed pretty good in what I saw of him against Vanderbilt (who are not very good, mind you).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like Lauri Markkanen but I worry he won't be good in the NBA until he's like a 34 year old Spur.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

btw in case everyone isn't clicking on this it's a massive knee-in-the-chest dunk

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

EvanTH posted:

btw in case everyone isn't clicking on this it's a massive knee-in-the-chest dunk

that's a sagat-rear end tiger dunk

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/RealJakeHyman/status/819739382001319936

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

euphronius posted:

Lots of shooters in this lottery

...no? There's Fultz, Monk, Markkannen, and I guess Ball if you think that his trebuchet release is going to hold up

Paul Zuvella posted:

The second you are a consensus first round pick, the intelligent thing is to leave for the NBA. We're talking about pure opportunity cost, the risks greatly outweigh the positives of staying for 1-3 more years of college.

RIP Patric Young

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems like a lot to me compared to other years.

Id also throw Smith and Isaac into the "can shoot" basket.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm going to make an effort to assemble a schedule and watch every single US prospect in at least one game if possible. Any must-watch games off the tops of people's heads?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What can you guys tell me about Bam Adebayo? He seemed pretty good in what I saw of him against Vanderbilt (who are not very good, mind you).

He's already evolved as a player from the start of the season. I don't know where his draft stock is but it seems like people are pleased with what they see from him so you're impression of him being "pretty good" is not out of step with what I'm reading from people who cover UK. He's moving his feet well, getting rebounds, and actually showing some ball handling skills.

Where he got exploited in the Vandy game, and it will continue to happen according to people who know more about these things, is he doesn't defend guards on the perimeter well and the UK approach to defense means teams will attempt to get a shooter on the perimeter matched up against him via screens.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

...no? There's Fultz, Monk, Markkannen, and I guess Ball if you think that his trebuchet release is going to hold up

RIP Patric Young

Isn't Ball also incapable of shooting from within the three point line?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rick posted:

I'm going to make an effort to assemble a schedule and watch every single US prospect in at least one game if possible. Any must-watch games off the tops of people's heads?
Washington Arizona obv

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't Ball also incapable of shooting from within the three point line?

He shoots .667 percent for 2s while taking 4 a game. An important thing to remember about Lonzo is that he actually does not take a lot of shots for UCLA. He only Averages 9.4 a game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lonzo Ball will be a good litmus test for hosed up jumper theory, insane dad theory (cross sport), the look (doesn't have it), the name tool (has it)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

straight up brolic posted:

Lonzo Ball will be a good litmus test for hosed up jumper theory, insane dad theory (cross sport), the look (doesn't have it), the name tool (has it)

That's a lot of factors to isolate, but thankfully there are several Ball brothers for sample size. Do we have a control Ball brother who we can isolate?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

Lottery prospect or like, guy who might get drafted?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Rick posted:

Are you asking for games that showcase everything about them, i.e. strengths and weaknesses? Just best games?

I think the Malik Monk 47 point game against North Carolina is a must watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Lottery prospect or like, guy who might get drafted?

I'm gonna try the top 30 US prospects. I figure I'll catch a few of the second round guys there.

mikeraskol posted:

Are you asking for games that showcase everything about them, i.e. strengths and weaknesses? Just best games?

I think the Malik Monk 47 point game against North Carolina is a must watch.

I'd prefer a showcase but I'll probably for some guys just settle for watching them play.

Washington Arizona obv

Good call, I should probably sports-morally watch that anyway.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Rick posted:

I'm gonna try the top 30 US prospects. I figure I'll catch a few of the second round guys there.

I'd prefer a showcase but I'll probably for some guys just settle for watching them play.

Good call, I should probably sports-morally watch that anyway.

You should make a point of catching the KU/UK game soon. Monk, Josh Jackson and DeAaron Fox.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Today was a prototypical Josh Jackson game: 20 points (5/13), 10 rebounds, 4 steals and an assist...and 0/1 from 3 and 10/17 (wtf?) from the line. :pwn:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

Today was a prototypical Josh Jackson game: 20 points (5/13), 10 rebounds, 4 steals and an assist...and 0/1 from 3 and 10/17 (wtf?) from the line. :pwn:

Kansas was getting a lot of touch fouls their way

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That was easier to put together than I thought.

I think I'm gonna schedule another Rabb game since I only managed to catch a half and apparently he was bad the first half. Not that I really think watching a single basketball game of someone play is enough to be informed on them anyway.

Evaluating post play is almost worthless in these games since a guy is posting up someone who he has a major athletic advantage on which anyone can do, but Rabb seems to at least have the baseline competency of "I can do something with my back to the basket."

The thing that stood out to me about him was rebounding though, he is not a passive rebounder.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Saw Jarrett Allen in person today. Really unique prospect but he needs to get so so much stronger to do anything in the league.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Saw Jarrett Allen in person today. Really unique prospect but he needs to get so so much stronger to do anything in the league.

Similarly, I saw John Motley against WVU the other day and he looked like crap. Reminded me of Earl Clark, long and bouncy but no vision or awareness. Missed easy passes repeatedly and had basket tunnel vision. Not strong enough to finish through contact from WVU players who won't sniff the NBA. Only goes left, lazy rotator. Good hair game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Fultz

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Somebody tell me about Frank Ntilikina. I've literally never seen him play but on paper he seems to have great two way potential if his 3 point shot continues to develop. Also seems like he can fit in Philly with Ben Simmons seeing as he's played off the ball most of this season.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ty1990 posted:

Somebody tell me about Frank Ntilikina. I've literally never seen him play but on paper he seems to have great two way potential if his 3 point shot continues to develop. Also seems like he can fit in Philly with Ben Simmons seeing as he's played off the ball most of this season.
Typical caveats apply: I've watched 2 of his games as blurry frontrowsports streams and highlights

People want to compare him to Dennis the Benice Schroder, because they have African parents but grew up in German speaking regions. But it's not true, except that theres plenty of footage of them dominating slower, shorter guards. He's bigger, bouncier they might have similar wingspans, he doesn't play at full speed or dead stop like schroeder, he has a change of pace game. He also is a much smarter passer than schroder was, has a better jumper, and just looks more like an an NBA prospect, he's not just a turbo speed little guy with massive arms as schroder was. He'll be better than Schroder, probably, he has the size to get in the way on defense and if he improves his shot he could be a good starting NBA pg.

The Pistons are so bad that I'm looking at all the late lottery pgs in hope that there's diamond in the rough to replace Reginald Val Jackson with, or that Harry Giles stays hurt, falls to them and becomes a superstar.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

No more stealth tank. Phil needs to trade Melo, cut Rose and sit Zing.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Typical caveats apply: I've watched 2 of his games as blurry frontrowsports streams and highlights

People want to compare him to Dennis the Benice Schroder, because they have African parents but grew up in German speaking regions. But it's not true, except that theres plenty of footage of them dominating slower, shorter guards. He's bigger, bouncier they might have similar wingspans, he doesn't play at full speed or dead stop like schroeder, he has a change of pace game. He also is a much smarter passer than schroder was, has a better jumper, and just looks more like an an NBA prospect, he's not just a turbo speed little guy with massive arms as schroder was. He'll be better than Schroder, probably, he has the size to get in the way on defense and if he improves his shot he could be a good starting NBA pg.

The Pistons are so bad that I'm looking at all the late lottery pgs in hope that there's diamond in the rough to replace Reginald Val Jackson with, or that Harry Giles stays hurt, falls to them and becomes a superstar.

Appreciate it. I've heard the Schroeder comparisons non stop so it's good to get some insight.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

Appreciate it. I've heard the Schroeder comparisons non stop so it's good to get some insight.

Bodywise, he's much longer than Schroder; 3 inches taller and ~4-5 inches longer in terms of wingspan.

He reminds me a lot of Reggie Jackson in terms of his frame (weight/height/length).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't think I caught either Sumner or Patton's best game today. The reffing was just atrocious.

Sumner is a really nice passer, and his ability to drive and either force defenses to pay attention to him, or get to the rim, is nice (including a pretty nice dunk:
https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/675830087497871360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw).

Nothing to speak of as far as his shot, it's not ugly in form but it just wasn't there. I thought his decision making was ok for a young PG, he had 4 turnovers but two of those were very questionable offensive foul calls. Defensively he was inches away from making a great play several times, but just couldn't complete it, and seemed to let himself get switched on to centers constantly (although he did surprisingly well considering the height difference).

Patton was stymied with four fouls and barely played the second half. He did quite a few silly things. But he at least tried on defense (maybe too hard thus the fouls), he also probably won them the game with his ability to tip the ball into the basket. I probably need another look at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I genuinely do not understand how there is a debate over who the top pick is right now

• Locked thread