Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

In Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a world where everyone uses magic is weary of the one guy who can't. That world did just come to near extinction because of the LAST guy who couldn't use magic, of course, so it only makes sense to hate Kairu. He'll need to fight hard to
(USER WAS FROZEN DURING THIS POST)

Here's the thing: Black Sigil is an RPG that came out for the Nintendo DS in 2009, and it has some game breaking bugs in it. It also has some really frustrating design decisions. Part of this is because the game was put together by three people over the course of 5 years and two target consoles. It had a very poor production run because the publisher was not very good at their job. The lack of success on this title caused Archcraft Studios to close its doors. The three members of the studio that made this game have gone on to other things, with the artist and musician finding work in their field elsewhere and the developer/coder moving on to become a lawyer. This game, as a result of a number of these factors, has simply kind of died in obscurity. It isn't remember by all the people who gave it a great review score simply because "It's like Chrono Trigger yay" but it's also generally forgotten by the people who were like "Holy hell this thing is more broken than an antique piece of china left where the three year old can reach it." It simply was, and I'm gonna do my best to show that.

How Are We Playing This Thing?

I'm going to update this thing about once, maybe twice, a week. These videos are longer because RPGs in general don't add themselves well to small chunks of playthrough, but the farther we get into this game the more I may edit some things out like constant fights. In the beginning, however, you all will get to see this game at its best and at its worse. The idea here isn't just to point and laugh at a bad game, but also to appreciate the good stuff that is in this obvious labor of love. In short, I hope to

God drat IT.

Feedback

This will be my second Let's Play for this forum, but of course feedback is always encouraged. I can't get better if you don't shitpost in my thread, guys.

Spoilers
Tag it, but feel free to discuss all things, ESPECIALLY the bugs. Especially especially the game breaking bugs.

A Note About The Bugs
When the game was first being consumed by the game playing public, a number of bugs were presented on the official forums of Studio Archcraft, and also on other popular gaming websites. The official stance of both Studio Archcraft and the publisher Graffiti Entertainment was that if you came across any of these bugs, it was solely because you were playing a pirated version of the game. Graffiti went a step further and states that if anyone could prove the bug happened on the handheld, AND said person had kept their receipt, Graffiti would send out a new cartridge. It is unknown how many cartridges were sent out because of this (a lot of people "conveniently" lost their receipts) but several of those bugs were, in fact, able to be captured by people who were playing on their DS and if I can find the video of that I'll be sharing. So it is known, definitively, that at least a couple of these bugs were not the result of emulation or stolen property. Fun facts.

Videos
Everyone Hates Kairu [001]

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

boy are my arms tired posted:

its less that he needs people to talk, he needs people to talk and also record/play footage from the other factions if im reading it correctly, because you can't change factions on a character iirc

it might get more traction in the ESO thread; i had a sub but i've got too much to do right now to take on an MMO LP, good luck tho

Yeah, basically this. I'll check in the ESO thread and see if anyone's willing to roll a fresh character for my sake.

sethimothy posted:

LOL so meta, I love it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

sethimothy posted:

In Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a world where everyone uses magic is weary of the one guy who can't.

Note that "weary" and "wary" are very different things.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If the top screen remains as still as it does for most of the game like it does in the video id say blow up the bottom screen to take up most of the video space. Should be simple enough to do based on your workflow. iirc some helpful goon posted an AVIsynth script (quite a while ago) for streamlining that process.
Oh and hide your mouse, kinda distracting.

Dead air is fine, you really dont need to read out all the dialogue in the game.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 5, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, a nice goon made something that's fairly simple to use in avisynth for doing just that: https://github.com/Chromatophore/MDS

You can even do some sweet picture in picture for when it's needed to show the top screen for a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mrmcXa6OA&t=360s

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, a nice goon made something that's fairly simple to use in avisynth for doing just that: https://github.com/Chromatophore/MDS

Haha holy poo poo was that really almost a year ago?
How the gently caress could i remember that?

(And why have i forgotten much more important, much more recent things? :prepop:)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Your image isn't showing up for me. Would be a good idea to rehost on imgur/lpix/whatever that allows hotlinking.

Anyway, I made it ~9 minutes into the video and then skipped ahead some, and as far as I can see, this would be much better suited to screenshot format. Your commentary's fine, but a video of someone reading jrpg text boxes out loud and slowly wandering around generic jrpg environments is not something I find terribly engaging. The gameplay doesn't look like anything particularly needing video, either. Your op and the game's intro are interesting enough to make me interested, but the format is not.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

The 'second' Akiba's Trip game, although it doesn't have any real connection beyond both games taking place in Akihabara and sharing the same basic concept. Also, despite "Undead" being in the title, you aren't fighting zombies or anything, just your friendly neighborhood manmade vampires, Synthisters.

Akiba's Trip U&U revolves are the Akibahara Freedom Fighters, a group of friends who basically take it upon themselves to patrol and keep the streets of Akihabara safe. This all takes on a new twist, when the protagonist - default name Nanashi - accepts a really shady part-time job offer and ends up turned into a Synthister himself. Stuff and things happen, and before they know it, there's an actual plot going on that involves the fate of Akihabara and the world! ... Or close enough, anyway. There's totally a plot.

Even if the game really is just a huge excuse to throw out anime, manga and game references, while letting you beat up Synthisters and normal people, to nick their clothes. That and its a fairly faithful recreation of what the real world Akiba looks like, and even includes flyers from some 130 real-world shops as an added collectible.

My plan for this LP is to aim to just clear the game as best as I can, including all 'four' routes. It's not going to be a 100% clear, probably, since I don't actually know how to get all the flyers, and seeing my run around checking every area over and over for them would probably be boring. But I will at least try to showcase all the content there is, including the side quests since they can be fairly amusing, and the Battle Arena is the way to get the really great stripping styles.

This is my first time doing a video LP - or a LP in general - so I apologize in advance if I'm not really good at it. :sweatdrop:

Also fair warning, while the game does involve stripping people down to their skivvies, don't be a creep about it. It's all in harmless fun!

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvJ8l_66HE

- - -

Okay! I've redone the first episode a... number of times now actually. I've decided to just not read out the e-mails or Pitter threads either. How does it look now?

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Seconding the suggestion of making this a screenshot LP. I've been waiting quite a while for a Black Sigil LP though (despite all its flawed I loved the game), so godspeed. Hopefully you - or someone in the thread - can have fun pointing out the eerie similarities between character sprites in Black Sigil and Chrono Trigger.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Wanted to say thanks to everyone here for the feedback. Between here, and our official Discord, I've gotten some pretty solid feedback. This video was essentially a dry run, because this is a project I've wanted to do, but constantly put off due to a number of concerns as to how to approach it. Several of you, and others, have suggested that I make this a screenshot LP, and I agree this game would go well with that style... but I also find the concept of doing one to be far more tedious than editing things out, trying to keep things concise, and moving forward. (In the discord we had a lot of discussion about the best way to handle any of the infinite random battles we are destined to have after the very first one, for example.) Hopefully you all won't be terribly disappointment and give it a shot when it's up and ready.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sethimothy posted:

Several of you, and others, have suggested that I make this a screenshot LP, and I agree this game would go well with that style... but I also find the concept of doing one to be far more tedious than editing things out, trying to keep things concise, and moving forward. (In the discord we had a lot of discussion about the best way to handle any of the infinite random battles we are destined to have after the very first one, for example.) Hopefully you all won't be terribly disappointment and give it a shot when it's up and ready.

I won't be terribly disappointed, but while I would have given this a shot as a screenshot LP with occasional videos to display freezes or the like, I'm not going to bother watching a video LP of an RPG, particularly not a DS RPG.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

sethimothy posted:

Hopefully you all won't be terribly disappointment and give it a shot when it's up and ready.

I actually am a bit disappointed because it looked like a somewhat interesting game, but that aside I'm almost entirely certain my answer's going to be the same as

ulmont posted:

while I would have given this a shot as a screenshot LP with occasional videos to display freezes or the like, I'm not going to bother watching a video LP of an RPG, particularly not a DS RPG.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the other hand, there are people who avoid SSLP's like the plague and even prefer VLPs of stuff like jRPGs.

The LPer should go with what they feel suits the LP and their personal style the best and try to make the LP work from there.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

He's obviously free to use or disregard advice as he sees fit and has clearly already done so.

But he posted here asking for feedback, so he got it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any advice/pointers on how best to handle an LP of "The Sea Will Claim Everything?" Part of me is saying just "don't do it" because its format seems to resist LPs pretty hard -- large walls of text that wouldn't play well on video, but tons of back and forth that would make the story and progression feel weird and disjoint. Maybe screenshots joined by narrative to keep it flowing? Something like that would have to take the game very slow, I think. It's like a 5-hour game that would take many posts to do it like this. But it's such a neat game and story.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any advice/pointers on how best to handle an LP of "The Sea Will Claim Everything?" Part of me is saying just "don't do it" because its format seems to resist LPs pretty hard -- large walls of text that wouldn't play well on video, but tons of back and forth that would make the story and progression feel weird and disjoint. Maybe screenshots joined by narrative to keep it flowing? Something like that would have to take the game very slow, I think. It's like a 5-hour game that would take many posts to do it like this. But it's such a neat game and story.

My immediate thought is to point you to the ongoing LP of Geneforge by POOL IS CLOSED as a good example of a screenshot LP - if your writing can match the style, absolutely do it like that.

My more practical suggestion is to LP one of the prequel games like the Book of Living Magic as that's shorter and of similar quality, so you could get the hang of it there, maybe?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm planning on starting my first LP soon as a narrative-style screenshot and text LP of Mount & Blade: Warband.

I've played through the game multiple times before and have been on another kick with it recently again, I thought it'd be a fun idea to do a narrative-style LP of the game where I expound on the barebones medieval simulation with my own fictional supplements to add some flavor and action/plot to an otherwise unstructured player-driven game to add a narrative experience to the whole thing.

Most importantly, I'd want goons to vote on first how the character will be constructed (I would provide the main choices as Male or Female, Noble birth/soldier father/etc and etc and then fill in the gaps from there) and then major directions to take said Goon character in (eg do we want to train at the arena? or hunt down some looters near X city?).

I've normally done male characters of non-noble birth, but I'd be very curious and intrigued by a possible female lead in this narrative LP. Of course, it'd be up to the Goon Vote and that would take precedence over anything else.

I'd also eventually want to commission some basic artwork done of interesting moments in this medieval Goon story (I'd imagine basic charcoal sketches) to add some flavor to the experience as well as some basic banners/graphics done because I'm terrible with Photoshop :downs:.

Thoughts? I'll start working on the OP and first chapter tomorrow to post in here. I've gotten some interest from posters in the M&B:W thread in Games, so I know that at least.

I've never done an LP before although I've always wanted to. This is exciting! :D

e: Something like this, but more medieval obviously:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 8, 2017

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sandcastle can't really provide much input until you do this:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'll start working on the OP and first chapter tomorrow to post in here.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

biosterous posted:

Sandcastle can't really provide much input until you do this:

I just thought of something: if the LP direction is mainly based on reader input, how should I go about posting my sample chapters? Should I just cover the character creation or should I also make a 'fake' test character for the purposes of this Sandbox thread as if people were 'responding' with their choices already?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Start with your own character.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!
Doing this mostly to see if I need to iron out any kinks with formats and such

--

Hello! Welcome to Section-Z and Friends?

When I was a kid, I remember renting a game on the NES called Section-Z mainly because I really liked listening to the title music. However, when I was done listening to the music and actually played the game, I found that the game was pretty neat and had some really nice mechanics. When I was older and had access to the internet/MAME, I found out that it was actually a port of an arcade game and the first of a loosely tied trilogy of games involving heroes with jetpacks. I also found other games which seems to have taken an influence from Section-Z which also are worth looking at. So, let's get to playing.

GAMES THAT I WILL BE LOOKING AT (Videos links edited in as they are made)
  • Section-Z (NES/FDS)
  • Section-Z (Arcade)
    • Full Play
  • Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (Arcade)
    • Quick Look
    • Side Arms Special (PC Engine CD) - Before Christ
  • Forgotten Worlds (Arcade)
    • Quick Look
  • Abadox: The Deadly Inner War (NES)
    • Quick Look
  • Final Mission/S.C.A.T (NES)
    • S.C.A.T - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
    • Final Mission
  • Legendary Wings (NES)
    • Part 1
    • Part 2
  • Legendary Wings (Arcade)
    • Full Play

Why are you only doing "Quick Look" for some games and "Full Plays" for others?
Preference. It's about how much I like playing the game and what I feel would be interesting. For example, Side Arms is kind of long and honestly a bit samey so I don't know if I'll be playing through the whole game. I don't really care for Forgotten Worlds or Abodox so I'll just be taking brief looks at those and I very little experience with Final Mission.

Wait...why is Legendary Wings on there?
Because I like it and it has some side-scrolling flying sections that kind of remind me of Section-Z.

So you are super good at these games right since you played them a bunch?
Nope. Expect blunders and bad gameplay every once in a while. I'm not going to be abusing save states or anything like that, but I will use easy difficulty selections if they give me the option.

Hey, game X should totally be on that list!
If you think I should take a look at a certain game, let me know and I'll consider it if I feel it fits. The only game I'm straight out avoiding is Omega Five as I don't own it and from what I remember from the demo, it plays like rear end.

Also, this is my first video LP in a while so there might be some roughness around the edges. I'm also notoriously bad with audio balance so if you hear anything off, let me know.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

make a 'fake' test character for the purposes of this Sandbox thread as if people were 'responding' with their choices already?

Do this. It will allow the Sandcastle to give you the feedback you're after right away.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, who/where should I consult for reference on medieval-era slang and curse words? I'd prefer something a little less anachronistic than "you bitch!" or "fucker!" while still wanting to convey the same idea.

The best I can come up with for medieval equivalents are 'scurrilous trollop' and 'wretched scoundrel.' :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 8, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, who/where should I consult for reference on medieval-era slang and curse words? I'd prefer something a little less anachronistic than "you bitch!" or "fucker!" while still wanting to convey the same idea.

'cur' and 'knave' are old timey favorites.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

'cur' and 'knave' are old timey favorites.

And non-offensive vocabulary besides that?

I appreciate it! I usually remind myself of this for a laugh on old-fashioned insults, albeit not technically medieval:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

Insults were usually a bit more flowery than they are today. On a side note, 19th century speeches and insults were the best. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 8, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The first 11+ minutes of this video are not necessary. Let's Play videos should not be your powerpoint presentation; they should be gameplay. If there's things you want to say that don't have to do with gameplay, say them in a forum post.

For that matter, you do not need to show us how the save system works. We know how games in general work. Your goal is to show off this game in particular.

Audio balance seems fine, you could use some practice in making smooth running commentary though (in that you are occasionally stumbling over your words; not a huge deal). I didn't watch the entire video because frankly it seems like kind of a boring game. :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I don't want to seem like a nag or anything, but is there any word on when lparchive is going to start updating again? Just curious.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I was out of action pretty much all of december because I was moving cross-country. Unfortunately now that I've I arrived it's taken longer than I hoped to get internet hooked up, so I'm still on tethered mobile.

Once I'm able to update, I'll catch up. There's only ~30 or so in the queue right now so it'll only take a weekend or so.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Which reminds me, I noticed someone hotlinking images off the LP Archive on these forums recently, which didn't load correctly over HTTPS, because the LP Archive certificate only lists baldurk.org as a valid domain. Assuming hotlinking Archive images on the SA forums is okay, could you fix that?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'd prefer something a little less anachronistic than "you bitch!" or "fucker!" while still wanting to convey the same idea.

Neither of those words are anachronistic and both have recorded uses as we know them today dating back to the Middle Ages.

quote:

bitch (n.)
Old English bicce "female dog," probably from Old Norse bikkjuna "female of the dog" (also fox, wolf, and occasionally other beasts), which is of unknown origin. Grimm derives the Old Norse word from Lapp pittja, but OED notes that "the converse is equally possible." As a term of contempt applied to women, it dates from c. 1400; of a man, c. 1500, playfully, in the sense of "dog." Used among male homosexuals from 1930s. In modern (1990s, originally African-American vernacular) slang, its use with reference to a man is sexually contemptuous, from the "woman" insult.

BITCH. A she dog, or doggess; the most offensive appellation that can be given to an English woman, even more provoking than that of whore. ["Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue," 1811]

Bitch goddess coined 1906 by William James; the original one was success.

quote:

gently caress (v.)
"to have sexual intercourse with" (transitive), until recently a difficult word to trace in usage, in part because it was omitted as taboo by the editors of the original OED when the "F" entries were compiled (1893-97). Johnson also had excluded the word, and gently caress wasn't in a single English language dictionary from 1795 to 1965. "The Penguin Dictionary" broke the taboo in the latter year. Houghton Mifflin followed, in 1969, with "The American Heritage Dictionary," but it also published a "Clean Green" edition without the word, to assure itself access to the public high school market.

Written form attested at least from early 16c.; OED 2nd edition cites 1503, in the form fukkit, and the earliest attested appearance of current spelling is 1535 ("Bischops ... may gently caress thair fill and be vnmaryit" [Sir David Lyndesay, "Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaits"]). Presumably it is a more ancient word, but one not written in the kind of texts that have survived from Old English and Middle English [September 2015: the verb appears to have been found recently in an English court manuscript from 1310]. Buck cites proper name John le Fucker from 1278, but that surname could have other explanations. The word apparently is hinted at in a scurrilous 15c. poem, titled "Flen flyys," written in bastard Latin and Middle English. The relevant line reads:

Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli

"They [the monks] are not in heaven because they gently caress the wives of [the town of] Ely." Fuccant is pseudo-Latin, and in the original it is written in cipher. The earliest examples of the word otherwise are from Scottish, which suggests a Scandinavian origin, perhaps from a word akin to Norwegian dialectal fukka "copulate," or Swedish dialectal focka "copulate, strike, push," and fock "penis." Another theory traces the Modern English verb to Middle English fyke, fike "move restlessly, fidget" (see fike) which also meant "dally, flirt," and probably is from a general North Sea Germanic word (compare Middle Dutch fokken, German ficken "gently caress," earlier "make quick movements to and fro, flick," still earlier "itch, scratch;" the vulgar sense attested from 16c.). This would parallel in sense the vulgar Middle English term for "have sexual intercourse," swive, from Old English swifan "to move lightly over, sweep" (see swivel). But OED remarks that these "cannot be shown to be related" to the English word. Liberman has this to say:

Germanic words of similar form (f + vowel + consonant) and meaning 'copulate' are numerous. One of them is G. ficken. They often have additional senses, especially 'cheat,' but their basic meaning is 'move back and forth.' ... Most probably, gently caress is a borrowing from Low German and has no cognates outside Germanic.

Chronology and phonology rule out Shipley's attempt to derive it from Middle English firk "to press hard, beat." The unkillable urban legend that this word is an acronym of some sort (a fiction traceable on the Internet to 1995 but probably predating that), and the "pluck yew" fable, are results of ingenious trifling (also see here). The Old English verb for "have sexual intercourse with" was hæman, from ham "dwelling, home," with a sense of "take home, co-habit." French foutre and Italian fottere seem to resemble the English word but are unrelated, descending rather from Latin futuere, which perhaps is from PIE root *bhau(t)- "knock, strike off," extended via a figurative use "from the sexual application of violent action" [Shipley; compare the sexual slang use of bang, etc.].

gently caress was outlawed in print in England (by the Obscene Publications Act, 1857) and the U.S. (by the Comstock Act, 1873). The word continued in common speech, however. During World War I: "It became so common that an effective way for the soldier to express this emotion was to omit this word. Thus if a sergeant said, 'Get your ----ing rifles!' it was understood as a matter of routine. But if he said 'Get your rifles!' there was an immediate implication of urgency and danger." [John Brophy, "Songs and Slang of the British Soldier: 1914-1918," pub. 1930]. The legal barriers against use in print broke down in mid-20c. with the "Ulysses" decision (U.S., 1933) and "Lady Chatterley's Lover" (U.S., 1959; U.K., 1960). The major breakthrough in publication was James Jones' "From Here to Eternity" (1950), with 50 fucks (down from 258 in the original manuscript).

The abbreviation F (or eff) probably began as euphemistic, but by 1943 it was regarded as a cuss word in its own right. In 1948, the publishers of "The Naked and the Dead" persuaded Norman Mailer to use the euphemism fug. When Mailer later was introduced to Dorothy Parker, she greeted him with, "So you're the man who can't spell 'gently caress' " [The quip sometimes is attributed to Tallulah Bankhead]. Hemingway used muck in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (1940). Related: hosed; loving. gently caress-all "nothing" first recorded 1960. Verbal phrase gently caress up "to ruin, spoil, destroy" is attested from c. 1916. A widespread group of Slavic words (such as Polish pierdolić) can mean both "fornicate" and "make a mistake." gently caress off attested from 1929; as a command to depart, by 1944. Egyptian legal agreements from the 23rd Dynasty (749-21 B.C.E.) frequently include the phrase, "If you do not obey this decree, may a donkey copulate with you!" [Reinhold Aman, "Maledicta," Summer 1977].

Online Etymology Dictionary is a pretty neat website. Also, I found this list on Mental Floss: http://mentalfloss.com/article/61819/42-old-english-insults

You could search those terms against their recorded uses and find which are most period appropriate (they don't date all of the words in that articles), since those insults are certainly a lot more fun.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Which reminds me, I noticed someone hotlinking images off the LP Archive on these forums recently, which didn't load correctly over HTTPS, because the LP Archive certificate only lists baldurk.org as a valid domain. Assuming hotlinking Archive images on the SA forums is okay, could you fix that?

Right I don't have an SSL cert set up for the archive since it doesn't really need one on its own. I didn't think of people linking images from the forums though, so I can set one up soon.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Hello! I've been enjoying some TES: Arena recently and I figured why the hell not try to screenshot LP it since it's good and has some minor story ties to the later TES games, and that way people can see what it was all about rather than play it if they don't like old DOS games' graphics. Here are my test posts' first drafts:

Intro post http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146434

Mechanics and Character Creation http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146435

Please rip them to pieces and make personal attacks against me, thanks in advance

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

What is this?
Before the Echo is the first game by Iridium Studios and is a rhythm RPG mix. Best part about the game is the music being quite good so it helps keep things fun.

How is this going to go down?
Being a RPG there is grinding that I'll be cutting out because nobody wants to see the same fight over and over again. Thinking of having some other folks come in to co-commentate, but nothing is set in stone.

Videos
Episode 1: Music Start

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh, this seemed familiar to me.

Apparently the game Sequence had its name changed at some point?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

gbuchold posted:

Hello! I've been enjoying some TES: Arena recently and I figured why the hell not try to screenshot LP it since it's good and has some minor story ties to the later TES games, and that way people can see what it was all about rather than play it if they don't like old DOS games' graphics. Here are my test posts' first drafts:

Intro post http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146434

Mechanics and Character Creation http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146435

Please rip them to pieces and make personal attacks against me, thanks in advance

Take screenshots in the original resolution or integer-scaled, yours look blurry.

Also, you are a horrible person.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

my dad posted:

Huh, this seemed familiar to me.

Apparently the game Sequence had its name changed at some point?

Yeah, there was some legal dispute with a boardgame or something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Garbonix posted:

How is this going to go down?
Being a RPG there is grinding that I'll be cutting out because nobody wants to see the same fight over and over again. Thinking of having some other folks come in to co-commentate, but nothing is set in stone.

Videos
Episode 1: Music Start
I'm going to beg baldurk to put this in the first post in the thread:

Include actual gameplay in your test post. Show us what an average update is going to look like. Recording the introduction is practically worthless.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JordanKai, in the OP posted:

: What is a test post? Why should I make a test post?

: Running a Let's Play thread is a lot of work. There are a lot of unforeseen problems that can crop up when making one so it is best to make a test post - it costs you nothing but a little time, and lets you gauge how people are going to react to your thread. This is especially true if you have not done an LP before and have no experience of what issues may come up, but a test post is almost always useful to some extent no matter how much experience you have.

A test post can vary depending on the LP, but usually will consist of an early update. This means it isn't just your OP - since that usually doesn't tell people anything more than what the game is about. It's useful to post your OP as well to give the first update some context, but make sure you post an update.

Also consider that if your first update will not be representative of the whole game (due to excessive tutorial sections or other reasons) then pick a later update and post that. The idea is to give people an idea of what your thread will be like so they can point out potential problems.

You should use the Off-site Screenshot test poster to post your test post if it's an SSLP, so that pages of this thread don't get overloaded with images.

However, even with all the above applying, test posts are not a requirement. Just a very, Very good idea.

baldurk isn't responsible for the sandcastle, just pointing that out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

baldurk isn't responsible for the sandcastle, just pointing that out.
Fair enough. Guess that bit might need some bolding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

Take screenshots in the original resolution or integer-scaled, yours look blurry.

Also, you are a horrible person.

You're right (on both counts), but I'm not certain why. I recorded with OBS and pulled stills, but even the recording is a little stretched and blurry. I guess I'll have to just gitgud with IrfanView capturing on the fly.

Better, yeah?