Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tales of vesperia: director's cut

it's actually just the regular xbox 360 vesperia but with lighting bugs and there's an extra hallway

"The bad news is they still didn't include Patty."

"What's the good news?"

"That's also the good news."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

My sleep-addled eyes got stuck on the end of "Derby Stallion" in the same row and jumped to the conclusion that it's a Leon game. Which it probably is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They haven't done a side game or enhanced version since the teams merged, right?

I'm just thinking back to when a bunch of Japanese fans were pissed off that the series was on a Nintendo system at one point.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phantasium posted:

They haven't done a side game or enhanced version since the teams merged, right?

I'm just thinking back to when a bunch of Japanese fans were pissed off that the series was on a Nintendo system at one point.

Xillia was 2011. Hearts R came out in 2013. Rays is in the pipeline right now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

Xillia was 2011. Hearts R came out in 2013. Rays is in the pipeline right now.

Ah, you're right, there was also that 3DS game the name of which I can't remember right now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hearts R wasn't really a vesperia ps3 situation to be fair. It's pretty much a different game then the original outside the story

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Reve Unitia? Yeah, I forgot about that too.

Cake Attack posted:

Hearts R wasn't really a vesperia ps3 situation to be fair. It's pretty much a different game then the original outside the story

Fine. Symphonia Chronicles was also 2013, and it's a rerelease of an enhanced Playstation port.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 13, 2017

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
It won't be a full new Switch specific mothership title. The days of that sort of thing are long gone. I see three semi-realistic possibilities:
  • The next main game comes out on Switch alongside PS4 and PC.
  • Some sort of crossover thing, in which case Tales of the Rays is due out this year and looks like it would be a lot happier on a system with buttons. (In case you didn't know, Rays is a smartphone game that looks to pretty much be Radiant Mythology 4: Now with CC)
  • Some sort of port / enhanced port / remake of an older game. My guess would be a straight port of Vesperia because it's the oldest one with no handheld port.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oldest? I don't think Destiny is on any handheld and I've wanted that on a console for ages (come on, Sony, what else is PS2 on PS4 even for); a Switch version would just be icing. And is Symphonia on Vita now?

I'd take Rays, too. I'm trash enough to go for RM but the thing that always bugged me about RM (other then the, uh, grind) was it being based on a poor man's Innocence, which is already a poor man's Abyss. Rays looks nice enough, such as it is.

The foolish part of me still hopes for the next Symphonia/Hearts/Graces, a bizarre moonshot with a completely new paradigm that quietly prototypes the next generation of Tales when it comes back on the PS4 in time for the 2020 anniversary. After four Udo-ish games over eight years, it's about time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a radiant mythology game, but it uses graces combat.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I kind of ignore phone releases because I haven't like a game on a phone yet, but if they're making a spinoff with CC for smartphones then bring on the Switch port.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caphi posted:

Oldest? I don't think Destiny is on any handheld and I've wanted that on a console for ages (come on, Sony, what else is PS2 on PS4 even for); a Switch version would just be icing. And is Symphonia on Vita now?

I forgot about Symphonia because Chronicles exists and they jumped to Abyss for the 3DS port. Some part of me was convinced that Destiny PS2 had a PSP port but looking it up I guess not? Vesperia still seems the most realistic to me though.

quote:

The foolish part of me still hopes for the next Symphonia/Hearts/Graces, a bizarre moonshot with a completely new paradigm that quietly prototypes the next generation of Tales when it comes back on the PS4 in time for the 2020 anniversary. After four Udo-ish games over eight years, it's about time.

I don't think there's another paradigm shift to be had at this point. Every previous one (unless you want to count the weird diversion into whatever Rebirth was and even that was the first attempt at getting rid of TP) was either an example of "modernisation" or fixing a bug in the previous paradigm, either in terms of actual game design or just what people generally seem to want out of these games (hint: it's big flashy combos). Also any major shake up basically has to come from Tales Studio and with them being stuck making one big game at a a time and being tied to smaller budgets and rising development costs, they can't afford to be as experimental as they were during the PS2 era. It's probably just different stamina systems, super gauge mechanics and fussing around the edges from here on out. Maybe we'll see jumping come back.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Whatever the next game is I just want random equipment enchantments to be gone, because it was in Xenoblade X too and it just makes dealing with any equipment stressful and tedious for very little actual gain. (As usual shoutout to Zestiria for not just doing it but making it much worse.)

wateyad posted:

I don't think there's another paradigm shift to be had at this point. Every previous one (unless you want to count the weird diversion into whatever Rebirth was and even that was the first attempt at getting rid of TP) was either an example of "modernisation" or fixing a bug in the previous paradigm, either in terms of actual game design or just what people generally seem to want out of these games (hint: it's big flashy combos). Also any major shake up basically has to come from Tales Studio and with them being stuck making one big game at a a time and being tied to smaller budgets and rising development costs, they can't afford to be as experimental as they were during the PS2 era. It's probably just different stamina systems, super gauge mechanics and fussing around the edges from here on out. Maybe we'll see jumping come back.

I don't know, we had the Destiny-style aerial 2D and the Symphonia-style flex-range in parallel for years and then Graces sprouted fully-formed from neither of them (it is, I obviously agree, an improvement on whatever Vesperia was trying to do with group combats but I would not call it an incremental conceptual evolution). The general shape of Berseria feels ideal for 3D combat as it stands (I mean, why wouldn't it, it's basically free run with dodging) but I would still consider an entirely different resource mechanism (especially compared to "crit to restore" which has been the prevailing strategy since 2008) to be enough of a shift at this point, just not as visible.

Or, I mean, do some 2D Tales again. Go back to body blocking and line formations, which were abandoned with Destiny 2. And D2 had some decent ideas when it came to formation and front-line exchange tactics to build off of.

I'm not even trying to think realistically. I'm just fantasizing because the variety is one of the things I like about Tales as a whole. Realistically I'm as stuck on the probability of a prettier Udo joint with weakness chains and crit-fed action pools as anyone.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 13, 2017

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caphi posted:

I don't know, we had the Destiny-style aerial 2D and the Symphonia-style flex-range in parallel for years and then Graces sprouted fully-formed from neither of them (it is, I obviously agree, an improvement on whatever Vesperia was trying to do with group combats but I would not call it an incremental conceptual evolution).

Graces is what happens when you take the aerial style and replace the y-axis with the z-axis. I have a suspicion that it resulted from someone telling Team Destiny they had to make a 3D game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think I'd buy Symphonia a fourth time, but I'd happily buy most anything else on the Switch. "Most anything" because I'd by iffy on Ray or other spin-offs. Or yet another Phantasia.

The thing I'd want most is probably something Destiny.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't really see the Graces plane as having anything to do with the (CN)AR vertical which was all about jumping to get into offensive positions and the state of hitting while airborne (mostly with Stan and Chelsea). Graces' radial emphasis is largely about dodges and not being flanked. There's no analogue to those in Destiny.

Basically I feel like if Graces was a planar Destiny it'd be less about pressure point combos with properties and more about pushing enemies into formations. Graces certainly takes place more in space, if you know what I mean, then any other 3D Tales game, but not as much as playing a fighter in Destiny or Hearts. Even the ones that aren't actually aerial (say, Marie or Innes) are mostly about tossing enemies around.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was a bit of progress on the destiny: director's cut fan translation last month, apparently they've finished working on the first act of the main story and they've released a few screenshots

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I might be able to play Destiny remake in my liftime?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at this rate it'll be playable sometime in 2040, yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you will, at the very least, be able to play it before tales of phantasia: narakiri dungeon x

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caphi posted:

I don't really see the Graces plane as having anything to do with the (CN)AR vertical which was all about jumping to get into offensive positions and the state of hitting while airborne (mostly with Stan and Chelsea). Graces' radial emphasis is largely about dodges and not being flanked. There's no analogue to those in Destiny.

Basically I feel like if Graces was a planar Destiny it'd be less about pressure point combos with properties and more about pushing enemies into formations. Graces certainly takes place more in space, if you know what I mean, then any other 3D Tales game, but not as much as playing a fighter in Destiny or Hearts. Even the ones that aren't actually aerial (say, Marie or Innes) are mostly about tossing enemies around.

Maybe not directly like that but more in the sense of the aerial stuff being the result of "Okay, we have this y-axis we haven't been doing much with, what can we squeeze out of it?" and Graces being the same for the z-axis.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can still imagine a version of Graces that shares more DNA directly with Destiny, though. It basically looks like Rebirth but radial. I don't think that's my longstanding desire for a modern Rebirth talking, I think Rebirth has some genuinely good reusable ideas in terms of artes with interesting attack patterns and mobility side-effects (Veigue has like two moves that take him behind the enemy, Tytree is all about lateral motion, Force Flame, glyphs, etc.) that Graces could have used.

And it sort of does use them in a few places - Pascal's healing circle thingie, Vital Flair, Cedric, Emeraude - but it's so focused on that attack property system, and multiple artes, and status effects, and everything is so transient. Zestiria and Berseria (and hell, even Xillia 2) have only extended those in every way but quantity even as they came up with ideas that built on all that spatial stuff - mines out the wazoo, pushing and throwing artes, Rokurou's insane mobility, and Wind Armatus even has an arte (Weather Ring?) that gives you a damaging aura that's basically Lightning Robe, and it's all kind of wasted because the games are so excited by more chains and more weaknesses all the time. Zestiria and Berseria only do better by turning half into Warriors games (and for Zestiria, mostly under Armatus) so CC is almost as important as raw comboing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Decus posted:

I don't think I'd buy Symphonia a fourth time, but I'd happily buy most anything else on the Switch. "Most anything" because I'd by iffy on Ray or other spin-offs. Or yet another Phantasia.

Considering each subsequent port of Symphonia somehow manages to make the game shittier and buggier another port at this point is likely to just hijack whatever system it's on and ask you to pay $5000 to some ransomware thinktank in Singapore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Considering each subsequent port of Symphonia somehow manages to make the game shittier and buggier another port at this point is likely to just hijack whatever system it's on and ask you to pay $5000 to some ransomware thinktank in Singapore.
'only if you send me a jpg of magilou'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*boots up symphonia for the ps5*
THIS IS A NOTICE FROM THE FBI, WE KNOW YOU HAVE PICTURES OF ALVIN AND MALIK IN A BATH TUB AND WE ARE LOCKING YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU SEND THEM TO US FOR EVALUATION

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

*boots up symphonia for the ps5*
THIS IS A NOTICE FROM THE FBI, WE KNOW YOU HAVE PICTURES OF ALVIN AND MALIK IN A BATH TUB AND WE ARE LOCKING YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU SEND THEM TO US FOR EVALUATION

*in most fbi voice possible* im waiting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

posted this in the bersy thread, but: interesting to note the differences between the concept drawings and her final design. the other characters had their designs pretty set in stone going by the design book, so it's neat to see that Magi went through a few iterations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think you posted a different one here from the one you meant but I like that one too, it's neat to see all the Guardians laid out like that.

Magilou isn't my favorite Berseria character but that isn't a knock against her personally, there's just a lot of competition.

e: I do not recognize the accordion one or the six-pack one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah I did, here's the one I meant.

this tumblr has all the scans available for dl. don't believe there's any spoilers in the main party sheets either, it's just expressions and weapons and outfits and stuff. the npc/antagonists one does, tho.

Also the guardians could just be unused ones?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 13, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, I just think they would have been cool. Magilou already has the only really interesting weapon designs as it is (you'd think Phi would have some funny cards, but eh).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I have one complaint about Bersy's party, it's that the weapon spread is pretty boring. Velvet's fighting style is cool, but her and Rokurou have basically the same weapon-type. Same with Laphi and Magilou. #bringbacktalesarchers

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
And I don't understand the Zestiria/Berseria decision to make the "ultimate" weapons deliberately as boring and plain as possible instead of the logo weapons from Graces and Xillia.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

does bers have devil's arms

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I miss Devil Arms. And Sword Dancer. And Wonder Chef.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I miss having fun things encouraging you to explore towns like Wonder Chefs (Zestiria and Berseria have kind of crappy towns, and honestly so are the new ones from X2) but not actually recipe-based cooking. Bring back the Food Straps/Healing Crystal/Eleth Mixer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Toss all that poo poo in a bag

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*dumps fish, apple, squid, banana, egg in a bag*

*Full HP after one step*

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait there's actually no reason why you couldn't get Food Strap-style recipes from the Wonder Chef. That'd probably work best, really.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

*dumps fish, apple, squid, banana, egg in a bag*

*Full HP after one step*

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Raine, Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I kinda hated the ToB demo. The first skit was terrible and psuedo-deep without context, and they didn't explain any of the combat nuance like "why not always use the claw?" It seems like a terrible place to start us in the storyline.

I hope it gets better. It's pretty at least.