Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Twitter is also extremely funny if you know where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Twitter is also extremely funny if you know where to look.
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is also an excellent source of false and misleading information about rapidly developing situations. Too many news organizations don't emphasize enough that certain tweets are unverified accounts and treat them as fact, and then just pretend they never happen if/when they end up not being true.

And it should be up to news outlets to uphold journalistic integrihahahaa!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IMHO politicians, lobbyists and accredited journalists should be banned from posting on Twitter. It should be a social media platform, not a loving political psy-op arena.

OTOH, Twitter has been great for breaking news from largely out of reach areas abroad like Syria, so maybe I'm wrong.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Twitter gives everyone a voice! Including those who are very mistaken in thinking they should have one.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramek posted:

Twitter gives everyone a voice! Including those who are very mistaken in thinking they should have one.

it gives people a voice until they say something the admins don't like

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's fine for a private service to enforce arbitrary rules. That's why Twitter should not be used as a place of public discourse with potentially grave consequences.

Anyway Twitter is gonna go bankrupt soon, so it's not like this debate is going to matter.

Unless President Trump buys it out and establishes it as an extension of the White House staff.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

it gives people a voice until they say something the admins don't like

Is that like when they took away Milo's blue check mark?

That was good poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uber and Twitter will linger on like herpes despite making no money.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Wait, Uber isn't solvent? The gently caress?!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Wait, Uber isn't solvent? The gently caress?!

Uber has never been profitable. They literally lost $500 million one year, I think. Part of their strategy is to just undercut everybody until no competition exists.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress are their expenses. They don't own anything, except for an app. Are they subsidizing their drivers from their own (well, their venture capitalist pals') pockets?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

What the gently caress are their expenses. They don't own anything, except for an app. Are they subsidizing their drivers from their own (well, their venture capitalist pals') pockets?

Yes, actually.

I was horribly wrong.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/uber-s-loss-exceeds-800-million-in-third-quarter-on-1-7-billion-in-net-revenue

Literal billions in losses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So the worst I suspected was charitable. Jesus loving Christ, this piece of poo poo is literally just a timed bomb designed to destroy traditional employment and crush labor activism, with no real goal of creating a viable alternative.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Cold canned chef b ravioli out of a can is a fine lunch

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

People should be able to use sick days for pet care if they got 'em.
If my cats vomiting blood I got to handle that poo poo.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Uber is fighting unions and legislation all over the place. Huge ambitions, huge risk, huge potential pay off. In Finland the way taxi permits are handed out was corrupt as gently caress (it's changing soon), and using Uber is still illegal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Das Boo posted:

Twitter is an excellent tool for breaking news, amber alerts, and police, traffic and weather-related updates. It's banal for everything else.
Twitter is good only for comedy. Follow funny people and have something to make you smile when you're bored. That's it.

steinrokkan posted:

It should be a social media platform
Treating Twitter like social media is completely misunderstanding how it works. It's a blogging platform, not a social networking one. Everyone I know who says they hate Twitter has tried to use it as social media, following people they know or want to keep in touch with. Don't follow your friends, follow people who post entertaining things, then it's great.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

People should be able to use sick days for pet care if they got 'em.
If my cats vomiting blood I got to handle that poo poo.

I mean, if you need to use a sick day for something like that you could probably just lie about being sick. But I definitely agree with you on principle.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unless your boss is a true piece of poo poo or you take sick days all the time they won't question you if you call in once or twice.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unless your boss is a true piece of poo poo or you take sick days all the time they won't question you if you call in once or twice.

Want it formally in the book. Big rules lawyer baby over here.

Edit: love my little pussy-bear

Harvey Mantaco has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Jan 14, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I don't believe there should be any expectation from an employer that a minimum wage employee should go above and beyond. Minimum pay means minimum work.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THere should be no expectation that anybody without a share in an enterprise would do more than precisely the amount of work stated in his contract.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grandmother of Five posted:

a friend of mine who was a hairdresser at various salons said that she stopped asking guys if they'd like their brows done because it wasn't uncommon for dudes to get aggressively angry about simply being asked.

If you go to a good barber they tend to just do that poo poo without asking which rules. No guy should go to a normal hairdresser or salon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pro-wrestling is an inherently immoral, barbaric form of entertainment that represents the decadence and downfall of American culture, and its toxic influence on the world.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i'm real sorry your creative position with tna didn't work out, mister corgan

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

steinrokkan posted:

Pro-wrestling is inherently immoral

How so?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Violence is wrong. There should be no violence in any entertainment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's pretty weird how pretty much every wrestler from the last 20 years is either dead from suicide or in jail. Except for The Rock.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hulk Hogan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's pretty weird how pretty much every wrestler from the last 20 years is either dead from suicide or in jail. Except for The Rock.

Many of them are dead from the effects of substance abuse!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

most would be dead anyway because the whole thing has its origins with batshit crazy carny folk, like half of them from 20 years ago were just rednecks who wandered into (and out of) fame on a never-ending bender

my roommate in college loved some wwe, he thought it was a hammy soap opera in a format palatable to the average nascar fan, i feel like that youtube short film wrestling isn't wrestling proved him right

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wrestling is terrible. Much like my posting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Wrestling is terrible. Much like my posting.

More like Old Post Less.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

More like Old Post Less.

If I don't post.....ILL DIE

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

most would be dead anyway because the whole thing has its origins with batshit crazy carny folk, like half of them from 20 years ago were just rednecks who wandered into (and out of) fame on a never-ending bender

my roommate in college loved some wwe, he thought it was a hammy soap opera in a format palatable to the average nascar fan, i feel like that youtube short film wrestling isn't wrestling proved him right

That short film is really bad for multiple reasons and I only noticed that after watching it a couple times

Wrestling is also bad for multiple compounding reasons but I still watch it and know way too much about it. Like probably more than any other random trivia subject

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That short movie owns. Whats wrong with it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

That short movie owns. Whats wrong with it

He just blatantly makes stuff up for a lot of it or is remembering wrong. It's a fabrication of HHH having any sort of overarching storyline that actually matches what he's trying to make out of it. And the "look at all the hot models I know" thing gets pretty douchey once the novelty wears off

It's a fun thing to show people who otherwise wouldn't ever look at anything wrestling oriented but overall it's like listening to a Kevin Smith script about star wars. Yeah you like to write nerd oriented stuff but you don't really get what you're talking about

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But like I said I'm a huge wrestling nerd so I'm going to be a joyless dick about something fun because most of what he's claiming as motivation and history of why people watch wrestling/things that happen are focused around how he views it or appreciates it and not necesarily how other people do.

It's like if someone wrote about comic books and was like "people don't actually care about the action scenes it's mostly about the race allegories and artwork". Yeah that's part of it, might be all of it for some people, but it's kind of silly to claim that's the soul of the medium. And also that dude made up his own backstory about gambit being a really good jazz dancer or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It is messed up that the wrestling guy would present people with made-up fake information.