Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont know if i feel like i can agree with $70/$80 controllers being "about" the same cost as controllers that are $10-30 cheaper. thats a lot of scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ps4 controllers are $60 and the pro controller is $70. I'd love to know where you're getting a $30 ps4 controller that's not on sale

e: seriously, if you have a link to some $30 controllers that'd be rad

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Assuming Nintendo's not bullshitting on release dates, Zelda should be able to carry me to Splatoon which should then last more than long enough to get me to Mario Odyssey. I'm pretty confident that at least 2/3 of those will be genuinely great games. Then sprinkle some Virtual Console on that, plus the off chance that my girlfriend might enjoy some of the multiplayer stuff they come up with. It's probably going to be the one Nintendo console for a while (remember three pillars lol), so it's gonna get all their exclusives going forward, and on top of that it has nearly every gimmick they've introduced since the Gamecube, so it'll probably get all sorts of ports and remasters. I think I'll get my $300 out of it. But I can see why it wouldn't appeal to anyone but Nintendo fans or parents with 2 kids they want to shut up. Enjoy Skyrim! For 3 hours at a time, but that's all anyone can tolerate anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Manatee Cannon posted:

ps4 controllers are $60 and the pro controller is $70. I'd love to know where you're getting a $30 ps4 controller that's not on sale

e: seriously, if you have a link to some $30 controllers that'd be rad

lmao ya $10-30 less than 70/80 is obviously 30-60 and not u no 50-60

edit: wait how the gently caress do you get to $30 from $70 even with your made up numbers to make me sound like an rear end in a top hat

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

acksplode posted:

Assuming Nintendo's not bullshitting on release dates, Zelda should be able to carry me to Splatoon which should then last more than long enough to get me to Mario Odyssey. I'm pretty confident that at least 2/3 of those will be genuinely great games. Then sprinkle some Virtual Console on that, plus the off chance that my girlfriend might enjoy some of the multiplayer stuff they come up with. It's probably going to be the one Nintendo console for a while (remember three pillars lol), so it's gonna get all their exclusives going forward, and on top of that it has nearly every gimmick they've introduced since the Gamecube, so it'll probably get all sorts of ports and remasters. I think I'll get my $300 out of it. But I can see why it wouldn't appeal to anyone but Nintendo fans or parents with 2 kids they want to shut up. Enjoy Skyrim! For 3 hours at a time, but that's all anyone can tolerate anyway.

It does not have dual screens, so it can't do the gimmick of 3ds or wii u without getting ports that fix the dual screen situation, even if the screen was just a map or what have you

edit: I guess that's kind of what you meant

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 14, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

lmao ya $10-30 less than 70/80 is obviously 30-60 and not u no 50-60

edit: wait how the gently caress do you get to $30 from $70 even with your made up numbers to make me sound like an rear end in a top hat

$10-30 cheaper; 10 to 30 dollars cheaper

if you meant that some other way, I'm sorry but that's how I read it. also I was subtracting from the ps4 cost instead of the pro cost because I'm dumb. the pro controller isn't $80 also

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ethanol posted:

It does not have dual screens, so it can't do the gimmick of 3ds or wii u without getting ports that fix the dual screen situation, even if the screen was just a map or what have you

Yeah dual screen story is weak. Could turn the tablet sideways and render both screens on top of each other, with the bottom one responding to touch. That would be awkward with the controllers though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no the joycon or whatever its called is $80. if you think that's fine cool whatever but thats a lotta cash for a controller to me. so is seventy dollars. honestly so is sixty dollars which is why i only own a single ds4

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

no the joycon or whatever its called is $80. if you think that's fine cool whatever but thats a lotta cash for a controller to me. so is seventy dollars. honestly so is sixty dollars which is why i only own a single ds4

DS4 is missing crucial features like a rock paper scissors reader.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the joycon comes with the system. you don't need to buy more

you're right that controllers are expensive tho

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Maybe I have no soul, but I'm not enjoying The Last Guardian.

Every time I start to get into it, the camera and controls immediately pull me out of it. I get bored of it after playing about 20 minutes and don't care to play anymore.

Everyone has talked about how amazing the game is, so I'm going to finish it. I'm never thinking "man, I want to play TLG!" I usually have to force myself to slog through it.

I know I don't have to, but I want to see this ending everyone is talking about. Plus, I keep convincing myself that it gets better, or that I'm one play session from seeing what everyone raves about.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mrbass21 posted:

Every time I start to get into it, the camera and controls immediately pull me out of it. I get bored of it after playing about 20 minutes and don't care to play anymore.

Everyone has talked about how amazing the game is, so I'm going to finish it. I'm never thinking "man, I want to play TLG!" I usually have to force myself to slog through it.

I know I don't have to, but I want to see this ending everyone is talking about. Plus, I keep convincing myself that it gets better, or that I'm one play session from seeing what everyone raves about.

Try drugs while playing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

$10-30 cheaper; 10 to 30 dollars cheaper

if you meant that some other way, I'm sorry but that's how I read it. also I was subtracting from the ps4 cost instead of the pro cost because I'm dumb. the pro controller isn't $80 also

The joycon is $80 so that's where the higher point comes in. Also the pro controller looks like the one for the Wii and it looks really cheap so I'm wondering where they get off charging 10 dollars more than the PS4 controller.

The gimmick for the switch is definelty badass and I love it. But that weak launch line up mixed with Nintendos abysmal release schedule makes me think it won't even worth looking at for a couple of years or more.

I really really wish they had included Wii U BC for those of us that didn't have one. It would totally justify a day one buy of the switch for me but really that info just killed it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I wish it had backwards compatibility as well since I haven't owned a nintendo console that wasn't a handheld since the gamecube

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If they're smart they'll rerelease a bunch of Wii U games on Switch. If Mario Maker doesn't get ported, investors should sue.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The CEO of Sony Entertainment is out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they basically cant release anything that used the second screen functionality of the wii u pad without making changes so that doesnt seem super likely. like toyko mirage sessions doesnt even use it during most gameplay but virtually all of the UI/inventory/map features are on it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The Switch launch is just abysmal. 1, 2 Switch should be a pack-in title. I am hype af for Mario Odyssey, though. Hopefully there will be a holiday bundle and I'll get it then.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I watched the Treehouse stream and including 1-2-Switch would actively devalue the Switch. But it makes for some fun memes.

https://twitter.com/ElTorroGAF/status/820027252863803393

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bring on the Hirai era

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

mrbass21 posted:

You probably have no soul. I dont either and thought the game was much to flawed to be enjoyable. I finished it mainly out of spite.
A lot of people seem to like it though, so hopefully we will get another ueda game in the future.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I watched the Treehouse stream and including 1-2-Switch would actively devalue the Switch. But it makes for some fun memes.

https://twitter.com/ElTorroGAF/status/820027252863803393

1,2 Switch just seems like a spiritual successor to Wii Sports. Wii Sports is what got non-gamers to want to play the Wii and also taught people how to manage the new motion controls.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The new zelda looks dope, but im not buying a consolle for one game.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
$200 and a game and I'm in.

edit: Holy christ the Switch dock is $90?? It's got an AC port. A USB port. And an HDMI port.

Yeah I know it comes with one and extra docks are for setting up on other TVs but goddamn. That's high.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 14, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

It is a good point that if they are effectively going to try and replace the 3DS along with Wii U that it should have a higher rate of good games. That launch sure doesn't show it though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't understand the appeal of purchasing a console to only play one or two games a time (Zelda -> Splatoon -> Mario). But then again, I'm very frugal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bought my ps4, vita, and 3ds for 1 (one) game each. but then again, I'm very stupid

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Montalvo posted:

I don't understand the appeal of purchasing a console to only play one or two games a time (Zelda -> Splatoon -> Mario). But then again, I'm very frugal.

Owning a good gaming PC takes away almost all multiplatform titles from consoles, so you get used to it. I basically own PS4 for Bloodborne, MGSV, EDF, and Final Fantasy.

One surprising thing is that the the PSN has actually provided a bunch of free indie games that I would have otherwise purchased on Steam. I actually really like PSN game selection, and contrary to how most people feel, I hope they stick with indie games.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

acksplode posted:

Full disclosure on all Nintendo opinions: I own a DSi

A regular sized DSi with an Acekard 2i was the pinnacle of homebrew DS gaming

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This thread made a real switch in topic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The main thing I want to know is if the Switch will end up unseating the 3DS as a portable machine, in terms of what gets published for it. If it does I might be interested, since I know that a lot of portable games I want to play will go to Nintendo but as a piece of hardware I don't like the 3DS at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the switch is gonna supplant the vita. I don't think the 3ds is going anywhere just yet, tho that might be the end goal of the switch

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

Owning a good gaming PC takes away almost all multiplatform titles from consoles, so you get used to it. I basically own PS4 for Bloodborne, MGSV, EDF, and Final Fantasy.

One surprising thing is that the the PSN has actually provided a bunch of free indie games that I would have otherwise purchased on Steam. I actually really like PSN game selection, and contrary to how most people feel, I hope they stick with indie games.

Yeah - I have no other serious gaming platforms other than my console, so it made sense to purchase a PS4 rather than anything else. Still though, the cost of these Switch peripherals is mind boggling. :psyduck:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I don't game on PC, so even when PS4s launch lineup was really weak I could go in knowing that it would let me play virtually every multi platform game. With Nintendo it's a much harder sell since there is very little reason to buy one outside of exclusives.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

As a system I like it, but that launch sounds beyond barren. The only thing I'm interested in is Zelda which is getting a Wii U release. All of the controllers and extra stuff is super over priced...I'm feeling a lot less excited about it than I was a weeks ago.

tbh, what system has had really good launches? i've never owned any console immediately at launch, this is the first time i can afford to do it. i've looked at a wikipedia list and not a lot is sticking out besides the NES pack-in with duck hunt and mario bros and maybe us gameboy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

tbh, what system has had really good launches? i've never owned any console immediately at launch, this is the first time i can afford to do it. i've looked at a wikipedia list and not a lot is sticking out besides the NES pack-in with duck hunt and mario bros and maybe us gameboy

Console launches haven't been very robust in a while, but this one's especially weak, even more so when you consider how scanty Nintendo consoles' game libraries have been for like a decade.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PenguinKnight posted:

basically all launches are bad but i wouldnt begrudge anyone for being concerned about software support on a new nintendo system

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what is the launch lineup anyway? so far as I'm aware, zelda's the only one that's confirmed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

what is the launch lineup anyway? so far as I'm aware, zelda's the only one that's confirmed

bomberman and 1,2Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mrbass21 posted:

It might not be for you, I mean don't sweat it.

Just about everyone loved Witcher 3 and all I can do is respect it from afar...since I hate almost every design decision in that game. Still, not every game is for every person.

If it's something you really WANT to like then I might suggest:

- play in a less goal-oriented mood (it's a game about a relationship so start fostering that relationship)
- don't fight the camera, it has a will of its own just like Trico, but be sure to use the L1 button a lot
- play in 2 hour sessions. TLG's a fairly long game with a lot of mentally taxing puzzles, don't wear yourself out in one session
- don't cheat, and try to resist looking up solutions. quit for a while and come back after you've thought about it.
- stop and smell the roses once in a while