Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The PS2 had Tekken Tag at launch. That game was solid fun for 3 years. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mrbass21 posted:

Maybe I have no soul, but I'm not enjoying The Last Guardian.

Every time I start to get into it, the camera and controls immediately pull me out of it. I get bored of it after playing about 20 minutes and don't care to play anymore.

Everyone has talked about how amazing the game is, so I'm going to finish it. I'm never thinking "man, I want to play TLG!" I usually have to force myself to slog through it.

I know I don't have to, but I want to see this ending everyone is talking about. Plus, I keep convincing myself that it gets better, or that I'm one play session from seeing what everyone raves about.

A lot of people don't like it, maybe even the majority, so don't feel too bad. It's very divisive at best.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

The PS2 had Tekken Tag at launch. That game was solid fun for 3 years. So good.
The Dreamcast had freaking Soul Calibur...but I guess the age of fighting games being system sellers is over?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

A lot of people don't like it, maybe even the majority, so don't feel too bad. It's very divisive at best.

even if you hate last guardian its so so worth it to see the ending

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Dreamcast had freaking Soul Calibur...but I guess the age of fighting games being system sellers is over?

Yeah. Smash is a system seller amongst Smash fans but all the other big franchises have become niche. I mean, Soul Caliber and Virtua Fighter are dead. It's sad really.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Yeah. Smash is a system seller amongst Smash fans but all the other big franchises have become niche. I mean, Soul Caliber and Virtua Fighter are dead. It's sad really.

VF is coming to ps4 (in yakuza 6)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought TLG was looking decidedly last gen from videos but really it's just painterly in a way that does not translate to YouTube videos . Much more so than the last 2 Ueda games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't have a PS3 so Injustice ended up being my favorite PS4 launch game. Actually, no that was Resogun

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

even if you hate last guardian its so so worth it to see the ending

I intend to try it after it drops way down in price and hopefully gets a patch or seven.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Samurai Sanders posted:

Super Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat are big hits. Killer Instinct and Dead or Alive 5 found success as service games. On iOS/Android, Marvel: Contest of Champions is said to make over $25 million in revenue per month.

So either have lots of content or use a compelling business model for your target audience. We'll probably see a few publishers support the development of new fighting games since they want a breakout hit for eSports.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm only a couple hours in but I don't really feel like it's janky at all. I don't know why it would need seven patches.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I'm only a couple hours in but I don't really feel like it's janky at all. I don't know why it would need seven patches.

Yeah its not that bad at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I intend to try it after it drops way down in price and hopefully gets a patch or seven.

Your loss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sunning posted:

Super Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat are big hits. Killer Instinct and Dead or Alive 5 found success as service games. On iOS/Android, Marvel: Contest of Champions is said to make over $25 million in revenue per month.

So either have lots of content or use a compelling business model for your target audience. We'll probably see a few publishers support the development of new fighting games since they want a breakout hit for eSports.

I wouldn't mind a new Guilty Gear.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't mind a new Guilty Gear.
You mean newer than the one that is just a few months old...?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still gonna play it... But I still have several Black Friday games to get through. Haven't come close to finishing Dishonored 2, Final Fantasy 15, FIFA the journey, NBA mycareer, Madden anything, NHL anything...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean newer than the one that is just a few months old...?

I'll cop to not buying a fighting game since SF4 was a launch title on the 3ds and not buying a guilty gear game since the first one. It's a genre I like more as a concept than a thing I actually buy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I'll cop to not buying a fighting game since SF4 was a launch title on the 3ds and not buying a guilty gear game since the first one. It's a genre I like more as a concept than a thing I actually buy
I'm pretty much out of the fighting game business but people tell me that GGX3rd Revelator is pretty good.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I remember people saying months ago that GameStop accepts broken DS4's (knowingly so they can refurb them, I'm not talking about being a dick and tricking them). Is that still happening? Was it ever true?

I have a broken DS4, and am moving on Sunday so I am at the point of trashing it or if I can any money whatsoever (legitimately, they know it is broken when i trade it in), then I will swing by tomorrow real quick. The left control stick is all wonky, and you will push up and it will jump from going up to down and back, so your character will stop running or will walk when you push it all the way forward instead of run.

Thanks!

GameStop's site says "Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value", I'm fine getting $5 instead of $21 or whatever good ones go for.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 14, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty much out of the fighting game business but people tell me that GGX3rd Revelator is pretty good.

Its very good. Excellent game to learn with too. Presentation is beyond amazing and all characters rock.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
For fighting games on PS4 there's a really nice selection, but for recent games King of Fighters XIV and Guilty Gear are absolute must buys. After that Dead or Alive 5 is a lot of fun (you can buy the disk for like $20 and get all the characters at once except for the one or two DLC ones instead of buying them individually on the PSN version). If you like classic stuff on the PSN you can get King of Fighters 2000 and Last Blade 2, the former has a nice roster and great presentation for the price and the latter is straight up one of the best fighting games ever made.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I remember people saying months ago that GameStop accepts broken DS4's (knowingly so they can refurb them, I'm not talking about being a dick and tricking them). Is that still happening? Was it ever true?

Basically if you bring in a busted up system or a game that's scratched to hell they can still take it but just give you less for it. They're not supposed do that with accessories like controllers, headsets, etc. but the POS will still allow them to so a lot of times the employee will knowingly do it out of reflex/they don't know not to and I can say from having worked at GameStop for ten years that there's no real penalty to the employees or store for doing so. It only takes off a max of $4 for games and accessories (it will take off less if you're trading in a messed up game that's already only worth like $3) so go for it. The absolute most damage you will cause is that if the store manager cares they'll just tell the employee not to take in broken controllers anymore.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 14, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Basically if you bring in a busted up system or a game that's scratched to hell they can still take it but just give you less for it. They're not supposed do that with accessories like controllers, headsets, etc. but the POS will still allow them to so a lot of times the employee will knowingly do it out of reflex/they don't know not to and I can say from having worked at GameStop for ten years that there's no real penalty to the employees or store for doing so. It only takes off a max of $4 for games and accessories (it will take off less if you're trading in a messed up game that's already only worth like $3) so go for it. The absolute most damage you will cause is that if the store manager cares they'll just tell the employee not to take in broken controllers anymore.

If store policy is to not take them, then I won't try to sneak. I just thought that I saw they would knowingly take them and just give you less because they were using various parts to refurbish them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I have a broken DS4, and am moving on Sunday so I am at the point of trashing it or if I can any money whatsoever (legitimately, they know it is broken when i trade it in), then I will swing by tomorrow real quick. The left control stick is all wonky, and you will push up and it will jump from going up to down and back, so your character will stop running or will walk when you push it all the way forward instead of run.

Thanks!

GameStop's site says "Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value", I'm fine getting $5 instead of $21 or whatever good ones go for.

They take like $5 off. I think when i did it i got $25 instead of $30. All the used controllers they buy (working ones included) go to a warehouse for parts for refurb from what I understand; they don't get put directly back on shelves

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

If store policy is to not take them, then I won't try to sneak. I just thought that I saw they would knowingly take them and just give you less because they were using various parts to refurbish them.

It costs GameStop $00.50 to refurbish a PS4 controller so I wouldn't worry much about it, like I said many employees will knowingly do it, I'm not saying to try to be sly just bring it in and see if they take it even knowing that it's broken.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

goferchan posted:

They take like $5 off. I think when i did it i got $25 instead of $30. All the used controllers they buy (working ones included) go to a warehouse for parts for refurb from what I understand; they don't get put directly back on shelves

They immediately go up for sale unless they know that they're broken.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do they like, get cleaned or anything?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lQMXyNUmDs

Gravity Rush 2 out in a few days.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Last Guardian can be rough to play, but the experience is worth it.

It is probably the best game to come out on the PS4. Things can change, but 10 years from now it will be remembered as special in spite of its flaws while many other games will be forgotten.

It really is a work of great art. It does things that most developers don't even attempt. It makes you feel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome! posted:

do they like, get cleaned or anything?

LOL

Generally if the controller looks good it just gets bagged and put on the shelf or in backstock or whatever. But if it looks super lovely or cheeto encrusted or whatever usually one would just not take it or it would get wiped down or just sit around and never get sold because it looks like rear end.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

The Last Guardian can be rough to play, but the experience is worth it.

It is probably the best game to come out on the PS4. Things can change, but 10 years from now it will be remembered as special in spite of its flaws while many other games will be forgotten.

It really is a work of great art. It does things that most developers don't even attempt. It makes you feel.

Stockholm syndrome is an awful thing to go through.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can someone just go try to trade in their busted up DS4 to GameStop and tell us what happens

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can someone just go try to trade in their busted up DS4 to GameStop and tell us what happens

Someone said last year that they pay for them for parts/refurb

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh I did this recently actually.Just a few weeks ago. My launch DS4 was barely functional with mushy buttons, 30 mins of battery life and they gave me $30 for it without even testing it. I was even trading it in towards a new DS4.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

KrayG posted:

Stockholm syndrome is an awful thing to go through.

It's an amazing game tho? :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It just occurred to me that I have no clue what the "game alert" section of the notifications is. There's never anything in it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

I've got a copy on hold at a gamestop, it's just that it's a half hour away and I'm lazy and it's one they opened already, because gamestop.

How, precisely, do you expect them to sell something without putting it on display?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats why i always buy my cornflakes pre-opened

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Awesome! posted:

thats why i always buy my cornflakes pre-opened

Cornflakes aren't worth 70 euros, or can be easily resold for 50 euros at CEX.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont know poo poo about my cornflakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
These corn flakes are loving gold-leafed, it's just beyond extravagant and stupid really