Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gone

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I loved Quills when I was 16.

Also, was a huge fan of Lonesome Dove as a child.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Manson occupies that no-man zone between horrible shithead music on one side and more objectively just better music on the other. He's always toured with lovely bands (minus Slayer and NIN) and seems to either not give a poo poo about who he plays with or he himself has horrible personal taste in music.

Then you have Reznor, who seems to just bring on tour whoever he's really into at the time and they're not bands your typical NIN fan likes. I saw QOTSA, fuckin Autolux, Peaches, TV on the Radio, and Bauhaus open for NIN (when i saw him in Chicago the Dresden Dolls opened tho and that was terrible). Its like how Kurt Cobain felt this responsibility to bring bands on tour with him that he personally loved and had no obligation to cater to the lovely tastes of most Nirvana fans.

I cant imagine your typical Ozzfest concert goer being into a pasty dude prancing around in a corset on stage while singing pretty feminine lyrics. There were a lot of people in my small little town that were sure that I had to be gay because I really loved Mechanical Animals when it came out (still do).

The first time I saw Manson the tour was supposed to be Manson, Hole and Monster Magnet. Then Manson and Love couldn't stand each other and Hole dropped off. Then Monster Magnet got offered opening for Metallica and they dropped off. So then they got replaced by Nashville Pussy who were loving beyond terrible. Luckily it was the Mechanical Animals tour so it was the best show I ever saw Manson put on (with it getting worse and worse every time after that until I just gave up on him).

Also yeah, other than Slayer, I don't think I ever saw a good band open for Manson and the Slayer tour was funny because it was absurdly clear just from the atmosphere that the Slayer fans HATED Manson and all of his fans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good creepypasta movie: The Boy.
Bad creepypasta movie: The Bye Bye Man.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

General q: what movies did you all love as a kid that weren't "kid's" movies? I saw a used copy of Frida at the bookstore the other day and it reminded me of when I used to watch it over and over in sixth grade for some reason.

I was allowed to see The Blues Brothers when I was six and it's still one of my favorites.

Also was semi-obsessed with the 1956 Around the World in 80 Days when I was 8-9 years old.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Good creepypasta movie: The Boy.
Bad creepypasta movie: The Bye Bye Man.

There's no way I won't see The Bye Bye Man one day based on name alone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the best moments of my life was seeing Judas Priest while in the middle of a monsoon. Lightning struck incredibly close to the stadium during the guitar solo for Electric Eye and everybody in the audience ducked. :rock:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Live Through This and everything prior to it is some of my favorite music from the 90s, but goddamn Celebrity Skin was horrible.

I read a Slayer interview once where pretty much the only good thing they could comment on Manson was that they liked the song The Reflecting God a lot.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

weekly font posted:

There's no way I won't see The Bye Bye Man one day based on name alone.

same here, i cant even fathom how it got made/released

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Manson occupies that no-man zone between horrible shithead music on one side and more objectively just better music on the other. He's always toured with lovely bands (minus Slayer and NIN) and seems to either not give a poo poo about who he plays with or he himself has horrible personal taste in music.

Then you have Reznor, who seems to just bring on tour whoever he's really into at the time and they're not bands your typical NIN fan likes. I saw QOTSA, fuckin Autolux, Peaches, TV on the Radio, and Bauhaus open for NIN (when i saw him in Chicago the Dresden Dolls opened tho and that was terrible). Its like how Kurt Cobain felt this responsibility to bring bands on tour with him that he personally loved and had no obligation to cater to the lovely tastes of most Nirvana fans.

I cant imagine your typical Ozzfest concert goer being into a pasty dude prancing around in a corset on stage while singing pretty feminine lyrics. There were a lot of people in my small little town that were sure that I had to be gay because I really loved Mechanical Animals when it came out (still do).

The only cool thing Green Day ever did was choose Pansy Division as their opener in the early 90s and on one occasion they refused to play because the crowd was lovely and yelling homophobic poo poo at the opener.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Bye Bye Man shoulda been about Sam Hyde stalking teenagers and doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBNNlyI0Dn4

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The 90s had a lot of pretty cool instances of musicians directly confronting the prejudices of their fans. I cant even lie, Cobain was a big reason for me getting into feminism and punk when I was 11/12.

Without that influence, i had a lot of cynicism and life experience that could've shaped me into a pretty terrible human being.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 14, 2017

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The crowd at the initial Family Values tour being utterly horrified by Rammstein and their dildo acts was really great.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/thereaIbanksy/status/820298345310777344

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

As a shy dirtbag I can confirm this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hate pulling out my phone to look up something and instantly forgetting what I wanted to look up.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

MacheteZombie posted:

I hate pulling out my phone to look up something and instantly forgetting what I wanted to look up.

Sounds like you need to work on your pull out game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This particular sentiment would likely mean more coming from somebody who's actually shown their face.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Budgie Jumping posted:

As a shy dirtbag I can confirm this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I was about the post the exact same thing, except replace dirtbag with "deadbeat."

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

General q: what movies did you all love as a kid that weren't "kid's" movies? I saw a used copy of Frida at the bookstore the other day and it reminded me of when I used to watch it over and over in sixth grade for some reason.

My mom was super strict about media when I was growing up (first pg13 movie at 13, first R rated movie at 16) so I don't have anything. I did watch Disney's Robin Hood every week in elementary school so its a miracle I didn't turn into a furry.

My girlfriend says she watched To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar religiously while in elementary school and middle school.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I loved Quills when I was 16.

Also, was a huge fan of Lonesome Dove as a child.

Quills is underrated. Not great, but underrated.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My YTOTD is an oldie but a goodie: a dude miming Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, with Natalie Imbruglia.

Unrelated, I decided to clean up my DVD and BR shelves. Needed an entire extra shelf (which meant I had to also do an emergency fresh look at what books I do and don't need), and at the end of it I still have only two feet or so left of space. This includes removing extra box sets I've gotten as presents over the years, and discs I've bought forgetting I already had them. I'm tired as poo poo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 14, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Terminator

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They Shoot Horses Don't They is incredible.

Incredible is the right word. Time for a rewatch.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Bye Bye Man shoulda been about Sam Hyde stalking teenagers and doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBNNlyI0Dn4

Nothing should ever be about Sam Hyde doing anything.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My dad didn't really have an age limit in terms of movies. When I was 10 we spent New Years watching The Blair Witch Project and Deep Blue Sea.

Also, introduced me to Dusk Til Dawn at a young age.

The first art house movie he showed me at 15 was Last Tango In Paris.

I think that's right parenting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got ahold of a VHS of Air Force One when I was 10 or 11 and watched it probably 15 or more times over a period of a couple years

Also I found a VHS in our basement media room that was some very adult movie. It was about a painter and he paints the body of a naked woman. That was the first naked woman I'd ever seen. I ejected the tape and in a panic shoved it under the big TV cabinet, which had a gap big enough for the movie. I presume it remained there until we moved out years later.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember my old babysitter/family friend would shut off movies if they used the Lord's name in vain.
One time they invited our family over to watch Speed 2: Cruise Control. I think there was an "oh my God" maybe twenty minutes in and it was over.

It worked out for me because they had just got a newly released Nintendo 64 and I got to spend a couple hours playing Super Mario 64.

I still haven't seen the rest of Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

blue squares posted:

Also I found a VHS in our basement media room that was some very adult movie. It was about a painter and he paints the body of a naked woman. That was the first naked woman I'd ever seen. I ejected the tape and in a panic shoved it under the big TV cabinet, which had a gap big enough for the movie. I presume it remained there until we moved out years later.

Haha that sounds like The Pillow Book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFNnmcvb7GU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Its like how Kurt Cobain felt this responsibility to bring bands on tour with him that he personally loved and had no obligation to cater to the lovely tastes of most Nirvana fans.

The Nirvana/Jawbreaker tour is one of my "if I had a time machine" shows

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nothing should ever be about Sam Hyde doing anything.

Well that's too bad because I'm already working on a script about Sam Hyde's vengeful cyber ghost wreaking havoc on liberal tumblrites and adult swim fatcats for cancelling his show.

But yeah for the record I do think Sam Hyde is a piece of poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Alien. I legit watched that movie almost every day.

That and Die Hard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To loop this convo back, my parents were impressively bad at judging the age-approprateness of movies, which resulted in my first David Lynch exposure being watching Mulholland Drive with them at age 12

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, and I sent out all them scripts. I forgot to mention there's probably a ton of grammar errors. Not too concerned with those right now. Unless a previous scene ended up being left behind somewhere, it's really just about the story on a whole.

I'll fix the grammar stuff when I get it down to a better length.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They Shoot Zombies films on YouTube, entries 601-700.

Ugetsu Monogatari (603)
Et mourir de plaisir (607)
Mais ne nous délivrez pas du mal (611)
The Lodger (612)
Terrore nello spazio (613): In English.
The Call of Cthulhu (618)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (620): Watermark in the top right corner.
The Tell-Tale Heart (622)
Only Lovers Left Alive (624): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Oculus (626): Hardcoded Hindi subs and a watermark in the top left corner.
Buio Omega (632): In English.
Just Before Dawn (640)
The House that Dripped Blood (642)
Excision (644)
Séance on a Wet Afternoon (645)
The Driller Killer (646)
What We Do in the Shadows (648)
Sien Nui Yau Wan (651)
Rubber (653): Hardcoded Portuguese subs.
Maniac Cop (654): Hardcoded Croatian subs.
Chakushin Ari (655): Watermarks in the top left and top right corner.
Il profumo della signora in nero (658): In English.
Alone in the Dark (662)
Esta Noite Encarnarei no Teu Cadáver (667)
Vredens Dag (673)
The Last House on the Left (678): The 2009 remake. Watermark in the top right corner.
Le Notti del terrore (680): In English.
Dust Devil (681): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (682): Hardcoded Spanish subs.
I Was a Teenage Werewolf (684): Hardcoded French subs.
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (692)
Castle Freak (693)
Psychomania (695)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just found out my girlfriend's favorite movie is Twister and I'm unsure how to feel about this except my new nickname for her is Dustman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weekly font posted:

I just found out my girlfriend's favorite movie is Twister and I'm unsure how to feel about this except my new nickname for her is Dustman.

Make sure to blurt out FFFFOOOOOOD whenever you're hungry.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Clemens, how are you finding all these? Just manual search labor and knowledge of foreign movie titles?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

Make sure to blurt out FFFFOOOOOOD whenever you're hungry.

Something something "finger of god" am I right?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I usually don't give out recommendations from the lists I post, but Terrore nello spazio is a must-see for anyone who loves Alien, which I assume is just about everyone in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My favorite film as a child was Terminator 2. Still pretty much is.

• Locked thread