Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I just beat Deus Ex Human Revolution (director's cut) and was that really the ending? You press one of three buttons and Jensen muses about technology over some stock footage, roll credits?
Like a lot of games, development is way more focused on the start of the game than the end. A lot of players never make it to the ends of games, even relatively short ones like DX:HR. So when things have to be cut for time or budget, which happens a lot because games are an insanely huge project, it's usually from the end. Hence all the games with disappointing last levels and endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Judge Tesla posted:

Dead Domino is really really easy to piss off, one wrong move and he will turn on you at the end, granted he is a huge rear end in a top hat but for people trying to save everyone in DM, it's quite annoying.

If you skip that one Barter line and then just do everything he asks after that he's a pussy cat. The Barter line isn't clear right away that it'll piss him off, which is annoying. Plus it's so much less satisfied to fight him as an enemy than it is to gain his trust and then waste him when you don't need him any more.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Domino is a piece of poo poo and people should never be irritated when the game gives you an opportunity to kill him guilt-free.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Sure is a lot of posthumous joker happening.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Gitro posted:

If riddler challenges are going to be these garbage time trials this'll be the first arkham game I don't 100% them.

just coming off the heels of beating all of the riddler challenges i can assure you they arent all time trial races, there are puzzles as well and if youre using a controller it is way easier because kbm the batmobile handles like a pile of dog poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like a lot of games, development is way more focused on the start of the game than the end. A lot of players never make it to the ends of games, even relatively short ones like DX:HR. So when things have to be cut for time or budget, which happens a lot because games are an insanely huge project, it's usually from the end. Hence all the games with disappointing last levels and endings.

I get that, but it would be nice if there was any sort of indication as to what effect your actions had at all.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Psi-Ops was terrible for this. 90% of the game was awesome mind controlling scanners type stuff, then right at the end they introduced invisible floating monsters and mines which made the game completely impossible. If you somehow stuck that then oops turns out theres no ending as they never made part 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I get that, but it would be nice if there was any sort of indication as to what effect your actions had at all.
There are some differences in the narration based on what you did, but it's not great. I think part of the issue is that it's a prequel. Long-term, poo poo is set. We know what eventually happens. So what's more interesting is what happens to specific characters, and they can't wrap that up because they need sequel hooks, and it's a whole mess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are some differences in the narration based on what you did, but it's not great. I think part of the issue is that it's a prequel. Long-term, poo poo is set. We know what eventually happens. So what's more interesting is what happens to specific characters, and they can't wrap that up because they need sequel hooks, and it's a whole mess.

The endings worked for me because four of them are basically the same thing, with the one exception being the "blow it up instead" one and I thought that was the point. The last level worked pretty well for me too because for like half the game I chose the dialogue options to say "no I haven't gone insane with robot power and shotgun arms I'm still a good person" then the game hands you the most powerful stuff in the game and nothing to use it on but innocent people then says "prove it", and even though you can run out of non-lethal options it still can read that you put the effort in as part of the endings.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

this is a good point. there's a plot hole I've complained about before and I assumed it was gonna be addressed either as DLC or in the sequel. I haven't tried the sequel yet to see if it did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

im pooping! posted:

just coming off the heels of beating all of the riddler challenges i can assure you they arent all time trial races, there are puzzles as well and if youre using a controller it is way easier because kbm the batmobile handles like a pile of dog poo poo

I'm used to wonky driving controls with KB+M and I powered through reasonably fine (though some of the Riddler races just sucked). I will say that despite all the folks warning that 100% completion is absolutely not worth it, I did it anyway just to exhaust everything the game had to offer and...yeah, no, they're absolutely right. Don't go for 100% just to see the extra 10 seconds they tack onto the completely nonsensical ending. The conclusion to the Riddler quest itself isn't that great either.

Action Tortoise posted:

this is a good point. there's a plot hole I've complained about before and I assumed it was gonna be addressed either as DLC or in the sequel. I haven't tried the sequel yet to see if it did.

What's the plot hole?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gitro posted:

Sure is a lot of posthumous joker happening.

You thought killing off the character would stop them putting him on the next game? Fool.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Convex posted:

Psi-Ops... oops turns out theres no ending as they never made part 2

I've never understood why this game never got a sequel or a spiritual successor. Picking soldiers up like rag dolls and throwing them into each other is still one of my favorite things in gaming. I would love to be able to do all of that in a modern game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

What's the plot hole?

one of Adam's goals in the plot is to find the kidnapped scientists, including Megan. when he rescues the scientists, they're kept in cramped rooms and fearful for their lives during their entire captivity. when Adam finds Megan, not only does she have much better living arrangements than her colleagues, she sounds quite sweet towards the guy who attacked her company, kidnapped her and the other scientists, and for all she knew killed her ex-boyfriend/security detail. Adam calls her out on it, but Megan never really says anything to explain it away. i think the game was implying that she was in on it all along since post-credits she meets up with Bob Page and the data she had on Adam's DNA but i really don't remember any text in the base game besides her research data on Adam explaining her character.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't remember the details or where they are, but I vividly remember the game having few bits where you can learn that Megan's love for Adam is more about his genetics than him as a person, and was complicit with the kidnapping from step one. I want to say you learn the bulk of it after you find her, but can't remember it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MisterBibs posted:

I can't remember the details or where they are, but I vividly remember the game having few bits where you can learn that Megan's love for Adam is more about his genetics than him as a person, and was complicit with the kidnapping from step one. I want to say you learn the bulk of it after you find her, but can't remember it.

yeah, there's stuff on how she's most likely dating him because she found out about his genetic compatibility with augs. i really don't remember any other texts that cast her in a different light other than the damsel in the story. and the Bob Page cameo was more fan service than a reveal of her actions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

moosecow333 posted:

I've never understood why this game never got a sequel or a spiritual successor. Picking soldiers up like rag dolls and throwing them into each other is still one of my favorite things in gaming. I would love to be able to do all of that in a modern game.

It did, kind of. Gemini: Heroes Reborn. Pretty sure actual ex-Psi-Ops devs worked on it, even.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

moosecow333 posted:

Wasn't it because someone sued them for plagiarism or something so they where tied up in costly court stuff until there was too late to capitalize on a sequel/ they went under or something.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

It did, kind of. Gemini: Heroes Reborn. Pretty sure actual ex-Psi-Ops devs worked on it, even.

Holy poo poo please tell me this game is halfway as good as the trailer makes it look

e: It looks a bit like a gunless FPS with silly combat and a slightly doofy high-sci-fi-fantasy "you were the monster all along" plot twist in act 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Somfin posted:

Holy poo poo please tell me this game is halfway as good as the trailer makes it look

e: It looks a bit like a gunless FPS with silly combat and a slightly doofy high-sci-fi-fantasy "you were the monster all along" plot twist in act 3.

It's kind of goofy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO5xcPR2ikk

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

I got it in a bundle last year, it's only a few hours long but it's fun for what it is. And it's pretty good about letting you go hog wild with your powers without ever having that late-game power creep where enemies are immune to everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBY-Xl13QnE

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I decided to power through the end of Shantae Half Genie Hero last night and man, that game sure wore out it's welcome fairly quickly for me. Having played Pirate's Curse a few months ago and finding myself really enjoying it, I kinda scratched my head at the design decisions with HGH.

They turned the Metroidvania style Pirate's Curse into a linear platformer more like MegaMan. Someone pages ago complained about how you eventually get an item that allows you to dig up stuff hidden underground but you have to completely restart the level to use it just outside the door you earn it at; I was pretty baffled at a lot of it.

By the end of the game I had 100% item completion, so I was given an item giving me infinite mana. So I basically just cast invincibility on myself and wandered through the final boss fights taking no damage because at that point I didn't care anymore.

For as long as it took them to get HGH out, I don't get why it felt kinda soulless compared to the previous game? Man, what a bummer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RBA Starblade posted:

The last level worked pretty well for me too because for like half the game I chose the dialogue options to say "no I haven't gone insane with robot power and shotgun arms I'm still a good person" then the game hands you the most powerful stuff in the game and nothing to use it on but innocent people then says "prove it", and even though you can run out of non-lethal options it still can read that you put the effort in as part of the endings.

I don't know why they even bothered putting the laser and plasma guns in the game at all since the only way to actually get any use out of them is to cheat and give them to yourself way earlier in the game. If it were just an overpowered but boring gun it would work just as well for your interpretation - but you've had the pistol since basically the start of the game, so that's not going to work. Why bother adding these flashy, impressive guns to the game if you're not going to let the player actually have fun with them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiggum posted:

I don't know why they even bothered putting the laser and plasma guns in the game at all since the only way to actually get any use out of them is to cheat and give them to yourself way earlier in the game. If it were just an overpowered but boring gun it would work just as well for your interpretation - but you've had the pistol since basically the start of the game, so that's not going to work. Why bother adding these flashy, impressive guns to the game if you're not going to let the player actually have fun with them?

I mean, if you don't care about that sort of thing there's nothing stopping you from going to town with them. :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It has a crossbow but good luck finding ammo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm starting to think I just hate roguelikes now despite the appeal to me. I went back to give FTL another go, got four runs with four hard counters to my starting ship in a row, then on the fifth run lost my boarding team because the game decided I didn't actually tell my guys to run away and heal, I told them to stay and die in the room I cut oxygen to.

e: Like I get that you can probably salvage things but at the same time, why bother

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jan 15, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

The laser had a use. Spoiler tagging it because it's the kind of thing some people like to figure out.

The targets in the final boss fight are behind bulletproof glass.

You have a laser.

Do the math.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I don't like roguelikes/roguelites because I find them repetitive as gently caress. I never feel like I'm advancing in them, everything gets samey very quickly, then I get bored and stop playing.

I played through Hitman GO last week, and it's excellent. The only thing dragging it down is that the last level (based on Hitman 2) is incredibly easy. One of my favourite parts of the game was having to rethink how to complete a board in order to accomplish two mutually exclusive objectives. Most of the boards in the final level give you the objectives "Kill Everyone" and "Get the Briefcase", which basically means "kill everyone, then get the briefcase". It's definitely a step down in difficulty from the previous level, which is a shame because it's meant to be the capper for the whole thing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The laser had a use. Spoiler tagging it because it's the kind of thing some people like to figure out.

The targets in the final boss fight are behind bulletproof glass.

You have a laser.

Do the math.

I love how I figured that out in my first playthrough because I happened to have the laser rifle equipped and wanted to see if the game would actually let me do that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tensokuu posted:

I decided to power through the end of Shantae Half Genie Hero last night and man, that game sure wore out it's welcome fairly quickly for me. Having played Pirate's Curse a few months ago and finding myself really enjoying it, I kinda scratched my head at the design decisions with HGH.

They turned the Metroidvania style Pirate's Curse into a linear platformer more like MegaMan. Someone pages ago complained about how you eventually get an item that allows you to dig up stuff hidden underground but you have to completely restart the level to use it just outside the door you earn it at; I was pretty baffled at a lot of it.

By the end of the game I had 100% item completion, so I was given an item giving me infinite mana. So I basically just cast invincibility on myself and wandered through the final boss fights taking no damage because at that point I didn't care anymore.

For as long as it took them to get HGH out, I don't get why it felt kinda soulless compared to the previous game? Man, what a bummer.

That honestly sounds a lot like the reaction I had to Pirate's Curse. It felt like they stuck metroidvania elements in levels that were designed to be linear.

Action Tortoise posted:

one of Adam's goals in the plot is to find the kidnapped scientists, including Megan. when he rescues the scientists, they're kept in cramped rooms and fearful for their lives during their entire captivity. when Adam finds Megan, not only does she have much better living arrangements than her colleagues, she sounds quite sweet towards the guy who attacked her company, kidnapped her and the other scientists, and for all she knew killed her ex-boyfriend/security detail. Adam calls her out on it, but Megan never really says anything to explain it away. i think the game was implying that she was in on it all along since post-credits she meets up with Bob Page and the data she had on Adam's DNA but i really don't remember any text in the base game besides her research data on Adam explaining her character.

Wait is there some post credits scene? I hit the skip button on the credits and it just kicked me back to the menu.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Jan 15, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Moon Monster posted:

Wait is there some post credits scene? I hit the skip button on the credits and it just kicked me back to the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTpSaN3EoU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A largely unrelated part to this that I think is pretty neat: the stinger you get actually changes slightly depending on which choice you took at the end, with your choice having a butterfly effect leading to one of the key elements of the original Deus Ex's setting. I think that particular version is for the 'gently caress it, everyone dies' ending, which as evidenced leads to the Morpheus AI. I know one of the others has it imply your choice causes the Grey Death somewhere down the line, and I forget the rest. (EDIT: And then it plays the original, absolutely amazing Deus Ex opening music.)

Of course they all happen anyway, because it's not like you stopped the Illuminati in any way there. They're just adapting to what you did.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Convex posted:

Psi-Ops was terrible for this. 90% of the game was awesome mind controlling scanners type stuff, then right at the end they introduced invisible floating monsters and mines which made the game completely impossible. If you somehow stuck that then oops turns out theres no ending as they never made part 2

Still makes me sad we'll never see another one,it hasn't aged well at all but the telekinesis was way ahead of its time.

content: I just finished mafia 2 and wow it's a great game.....up until the end, I wanted to become a loving godfather don't end the game there! also it's weird that there's no sidequests in this game at all, it's literally just the main story and collectibles if you can find them.

7/10

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Mafia 3 improved in that respect. You'll do a main mission then unlock a side mission to turn around and clear the exact same area again. :haw:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

The entire last third of Human Revolution is basically unfinished. There was supposed to be a Montreal hub, which would have been loving rad, but instead you just do the Picus building story mission and move on. The plasma rifle's inclusion reads as them throwing it in because it was something that they had finished and working, even if the rest of the content "supporting" it barely existed anymore.

Inco posted:

I played through Hitman GO last week, and it's excellent. The only thing dragging it down is that the last level (based on Hitman 2) is incredibly easy. One of my favourite parts of the game was having to rethink how to complete a board in order to accomplish two mutually exclusive objectives. Most of the boards in the final level give you the objectives "Kill Everyone" and "Get the Briefcase", which basically means "kill everyone, then get the briefcase". It's definitely a step down in difficulty from the previous level, which is a shame because it's meant to be the capper for the whole thing.

I think that's down to that chapter (and another one) being added post-launch, so it doesn't quite fit into the difficulty curve.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

also it's weird that there's no sidequests in this game at all, it's literally just the main story and collectibles if you can find them.

Speaking of games getting horribly chopped to pieces. The story goes that 2K made them cut out all the fat and package it as DLC. Either way, there's a ton of references to unseen content in the files.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

John Murdoch posted:

Speaking of games getting horribly chopped to pieces. The story goes that 2K made them cut out all the fat and package it as DLC. Either way, there's a ton of references to unseen content in the files.

Ahh that seems about right, the way the game presented itself was astounding though, the city's so gorgeous and the character models are great, and going from the 40's to early 50's was wicked, it's just a very abrupt ending :[ I wanted to be rich for more than three minutes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Convex posted:

It's way old by now, but XIII had probably one of the worst examples of this. The game was set up to be part one of some kind of episodic deal, to the point where several of the skills shown in the skill menu weren't actually unlockable, because they'd been earmarked for a later part. The game ended on a sudden cliffhanger, all set up for the sequel... which ended up being canceled.

So yeah, maybe don't build your whole game around being only one part of a series when you don't actually have any assurance that you can actually pull through.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Perestroika posted:

So yeah, maybe don't build your whole game around being only one part of a series when you don't actually have any assurance that you can actually pull through.

See also: Advent Rising.

Incidentally, that game really doesn't hold up any more. At all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

out of all the death stranding memes i gis'd, i couldn't find one of a crying gordon clutching episode three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

See also: Advent Rising.

Incidentally, that game really doesn't hold up any more. At all.

It's a game that lets you reload two assault rifles at the same time. It gets a free pass from me.