Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Seedge posted:

How, precisely, do you expect them to sell something without putting it on display?
1) Encase them in a security tagged box, or
2) Put display boxes on the shelf and keep the actual boxes sealed in a drawer in the front of the store, or stored in the back

That's how Game do it, it's apparently not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seedge posted:

How, precisely, do you expect them to sell something without putting it on display?

Literally every other retailer manages to do this without opening new copies of the game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty much out of the fighting game business but people tell me that GGX3rd Revelator is pretty good.

Depends on which GG you were into, really. It's far more like the pre-AC games and is noticeably slower than other games in the series both in terms of movement speed and match flow. The latter because of the new defensive mechanics and things related to the new RC system like slowdowns, input eating, and YRCs.

It's still a very pretty game though and if you're into it more casually it's not gonna steer you wrong. Especially since Rev in particular has a giant tutorial to teach the ins and outs of general fightgame and game specific stuff better than anything else in any other game.

But that said they did just announce an update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNRPiSQ1E-8

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It just occurred to me that I have no clue what the "game alert" section of the notifications is. There's never anything in it.

I have seen notifications there a couple times. When people invite you to a multiplayer coop event in a game, that's where the alert goes. I specifically saw it go there in Assassin's Creed games.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-01-12-developers-think-switch-can-best-wii-u-survey

quote:

According to GDC organizers, about 50% of those sold said they thought the Switch would outsell its predecessor, the Wii U, which had an installed base of 13.36 million heading into the last holiday sales season. That may not be a terribly difficult threshold to clear (the Wii U is the lowest selling major Nintendo console line to date, barring the Virtual Boy), but some 14% of respondents said they didn't think the Switch would even do that well. The remaining roughly 37% of developers were apparently not ready to hazard a guess.

lmao

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

That article is meaningless. Who cares with other devs think. Nintendo consoles pretty much exist to support first party Nintendo games. The Switch will probably do fine, especially if they make it the defacto handheld.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Megasabin posted:

That article is meaningless. Who cares with other devs think. Nintendo consoles pretty much exist to support first party Nintendo games. The Switch will probably do fine, especially if they make it the defacto handheld.

Part of Nintendo's issue over the last decade is the lack of third-party support. Nintendo cannot prop themselves up on their first party games alone, especially if they end up like being the WiiU and not having games for over a year.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Morby posted:

Part of Nintendo's issue over the last decade is the lack of third-party support. Nintendo cannot prop themselves up on their first party games alone, especially if they end up like being the WiiU and not having games for over a year.

They have that support in the handheld arena, and since Switch is there new handheld I'm guessing that will continue, but in reality people will buy their console just for Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash/Starfox/F-Zero. The last Nintendo console I've owned is a gamecube, and I've never owned a DS, but they seem like they will be more than fine.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Megasabin posted:

They have that support in the handheld arena, and since Switch is there new handheld I'm guessing that will continue, but in reality people will buy their console just for Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash/Starfox/F-Zero. The last Nintendo console I've owned is a gamecube, and I've never owned a DS, but they seem like they will be more than fine.

They're not marketing it solely as a handheld, though. And they are still planning to support the 3DS for at least the next year or two.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I for one look forward to 4 player splitscreen Mario Kart on a 6.2 inch tablet monitor using the extra pair of 79.99 Joy Con controllers that I purchase. I will be the toast of all the rooftop parties.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like the switch ad is an inaccurate representation of someone who would bring a Nintendo system to a rooftop party.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Morby posted:

They're not marketing it solely as a handheld, though. And they are still planning to support the 3DS for at least the next year or two.

Yeah just like they supported the GBA when the DS came out and the DS when the 3DS came out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like the switch ad is an inaccurate representation of someone who would bring a Nintendo system to a rooftop party.

The Switch ad was filmed in my hood and made for a good laugh in many respects. White people under 30 don't live here anymore and would definitely not have rooftop video game parties on one of the few days that it isn't raining.

The basketball court under the bridge is pretty great though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We are just a bunch of hip, rich white snake people, hanging out on the roof and having sober fun. Oh hey, look it's Becky, the hot neighbor. She looks like she's having a blast playing her Nintendo Switch™. Bring that thing over here Becky! It's time to party huddled around a tablet!

Actually I guess that makes sense if you assume they are Christians.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

veni veni veni posted:

Actually I guess that makes sense if you assume they are Christians.

That would explain her terrible fashion sense

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Morby posted:

There's like one major release left for the 3DS with no announcements of anything.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

katkillad2 posted:

There's like one major release left for the 3DS with no announcements of anything.

Exactly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Seedge posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about, mate?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Gamestop doesn't want to spend the extra $.14 per SKU to create displays. Why do that when you have a perfectly good box right there? Also so employees can play new releases when they come out via the checkout system. Easier o speak about product when you've played it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kortel posted:

Gamestop doesn't want to spend the extra $.14 per SKU to create displays. Why do that when you have a perfectly good box right there? Also so employees can play new releases when they come out via the checkout system. Easier o speak about product when you've played it.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. And it's been noted time and time again as a lovely business practice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nothing like buying a brand new game that an employee has opened and played for a week.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

nintendo's big failing is that they got caught on this casual market thing and don't realize that that crowd is nebulous at best and not something you can market a $300 dedicated video game console to. even if they buy it, most won't buy another game with it so it'll just be the 1 2 switch platform or w/e. they got lucky with the wii, yea, but they should really start looking to the market that actually props them up (ie the people that buys games)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've gamed out all the possible scenarios where I bring my Nintendo Switch to a party and they all end with me getting shoved into a locker

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well if you will bring a locker to a party...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I don't bring the locker, it just always materializes somehow. And that's only if I don't get swirlied in a toilet first.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Nintendo allready thought of that. Thats why its portable, so you can continue playing in the locker

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

considering how good phone games have gotten at constant engagement mixed with the fact that everyone is already going to have a smart phone i can't imagine what could possibly happen that would cause nintendo to capture that market again

since 1 2 switch isnt a pack in i dont really see how the switch is gonna become the 1 2 switch platform

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually it's because all phone games are poo poo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they are poo poo, the fact that multiple different laws have been passed in japan because of how exploitative they are is incredibly hosed up, but my point is that a lot of that gross predatory skinnerbox poo poo is why they have such a stranglehold on their market

edit: and also the fact that the games can play themselves, which is really a weird thing but makes sense culturally

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly hope real portable gaming never totally dies in favor of phone trash.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It won't, all it does it take out the people who only bought a DS to play sudoku on the train.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Nothing like buying a brand new game that an employee has opened and played for a week.

I mean, it's more just the audacity of a huge company not conceding to even discount the price of an opened "new" game by 5 loving dollars...but also not giving the customer actual new game return privileges, because it's unsealed in the first place.

I bought an unsealed $60 "new" game from them one time and came back half an hour later because I'd changed my mind and the clerk told me that the return policy on opened games was $40 trade credit.

That company can eat a :dong:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

considering how good phone games have gotten at constant engagement mixed with the fact that everyone is already going to have a smart phone i can't imagine what could possibly happen that would cause nintendo to capture that market again

since 1 2 switch isnt a pack in i dont really see how the switch is gonna become the 1 2 switch platform

that game not coming with the system makes zero sense. that's the whole reason wii sports took off like it did

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I bought an unsealed $60 "new" game from them one time and came back half an hour later because I'd changed my mind and the clerk told me that the return policy on opened games was $40 trade credit.

Schrodinger's Return

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I recently bought a used game with rewards points credits and didn't like it and they wouldn't let me apply the credits to another game.

For reference you have to spend 100 dollars to get a dollar back at GameStop so to get a new game it's like 6 grand.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont actually know that the casual market ever dipped into handhelds. i dont think the "wii market" ever did

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, they did, my freakin sister had one, she's the definition of a normie.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, it's more just the audacity of a huge company not conceding to even discount the price of an opened "new" game by 5 loving dollars...but also not giving the customer actual new game return privileges, because it's unsealed in the first place.

That company can eat a :dong:

they have special stickers they are supposed to reseal it with. they stickers ruin the case if you remove them because they leave so much residue lol but that's what they use to make returns possible

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i dont actually know that the casual market ever dipped into handhelds. i dont think the "wii market" ever did
For what its worth, I was talking to someone that actively dislikes video games the other day and for some reason Brain Age came up and it turns out that that is the one video game she played and enjoyed on her DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

they have special stickers they are supposed to reseal it with. they stickers ruin the case if you remove them because they leave so much residue lol but that's what they use to make returns possible

This was in 2010 so I can't remember if it had that, maybe it did and I didn't realize, but I haven't shopped there since so...