Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I shop at GS more than I care to admit and the quality of service just seems to vary wildly by location and employee. I've walked out of there thinking "Ya know GS is better than it gets credit for" as much as I've walked out thinking "I'm never giving this poo poo company another penny"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I shop at GS more than I care to admit and the quality of service just seems to vary wildly by location and employee. I've walked out of there thinking "Ya know GS is better than it gets credit for" as much as I've walked out thinking "I'm never giving this poo poo company another penny"

i pretty much only go when amazon doesn't take trades on something or has a worse trade it price (which is rare but does happen)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They were honestly a lot worse back when they dominated the market. I'll go there over a big box store any day. I think most of their bad reputation stems from the way they were a decade ago.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gamestop has put the wrong game in the box a couple times but other than that they've been fairly solid for me. I don't buy from them often tho since their selection is awful

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

I feel like you have some buyers remorse and you want others to suffer for spending $60 on a game that most people will only play once. I liked this game a lot but my red box rental was all I needed. For reference, I played Shadow of the Colossus back to back to back. The game isn't as frustrating as some would lead you to believe but going through the game a second time would take just as long in my opinion, and that second time would be very boring. Most of the game is spent waiting for Trico to jump up onto platforms. There is nothing to speed up the process.

Aloofa fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 14, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Gamestop near me is shite and I'd love for them to go bankrupt sometime soon.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

how will sony step up after the reveal of nintendos sweet HD-Rumble?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Healbot posted:

The Gamestop near me is shite and I'd love for them to go bankrupt sometime soon.

I'm 99% certain they're going out of business. They've all "remodelled" in Ireland and it looks like they just sold all their shelves and threw everything in bins.

I'd say they're being destroyed by CEX

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they're going to give the people what they want and raise the price of the DS4 $20 and give us ps1 games that expire after a month

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The owner of the ebgames near me keeps bragging to each customer that his son works for ubisoft montreal the 4 times I went in there

but i find the eb/gs that are inside malls are way worse than the stand alone ones

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

how will sony step up after the reveal of nintendos sweet HD-Rumble?

vita 2 coming soon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Aloofa posted:

I feel like you have some buyers remorse and you want others to suffer for spending $60 on a game that most people will only play once. I liked this game a lot but my red box rental was all I needed. For reference, I played Shadow of the Colossus back to back to back. The game isn't as frustrating as some would lead you to believe but going through the game a second time would take just as long in my opinion, and that second time would be very boring. Most of the game is spent waiting for Trico to jump up onto platforms. There is nothing to speed up the process.

You're being ridiculous.

The game is just amazing and the experience is well worth $60, hell I feel Sony deserves some credit for seeing the development through and demonstrating that this medium isn't entirely based around trying to generate a quick buck through microtransactions. TLG is way way way up there in the very small list of games that has an ending worth working toward and experiencing, and one of maybe four games I've played in the last 25 years that has made me tear up.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm 99% certain they're going out of business. They've all "remodelled" in Ireland and it looks like they just sold all their shelves and threw everything in bins.

I'd say they're being destroyed by CEX

The bins are easier to tidy because no-one browses them. This kinda makes sense?

Also, Gamestop employees don't get to open new games then play them for a week. We get to play traded in games for a week. We only open games when we don't get sleeves, because we know people like to buy sealed games. Once it's out of the charts you gut it because it'd be impossible to keep track of which boxes are real or fake in the bins.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rabidsquid posted:

i dont actually know that the casual market ever dipped into handhelds. i dont think the "wii market" ever did

I know some very normal non-gamer people who bought 3DSs just for pokémon sun and moon who probably hadn't played a pokémon game since red & blue. The pokémon go trickle down effect was real

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morby posted:

I have seen notifications there a couple times. When people invite you to a multiplayer coop event in a game, that's where the alert goes. I specifically saw it go there in Assassin's Creed games.
It goes there and not in the invitations section?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah nearly every gamer I know bought a 2DS for Pokemon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLG is goddamn amazing. It's so unique I really forget I'm playing a game sometimes. If nothing else my brain barely registers trico as an AI. It really feels like a real animal all the way.

I think it's really dumb that the way Trico doesn't always listen to you was something that the game got dinged for so much. Like, the narrative that people weave would have you believe it was some sort of bug, but it's clearly by design. I honestly don't think the game would have the same amount of impact if you could just command him with a button press. I can see how some wouldn't like it because it's really not a game for people with little patience, but it's really unfair that it's pegged as some sort of flaw.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's really dumb that the way Trico doesn't always listen to you was something that the game got dinged for so much. Like, the narrative that people weave would have you believe it was some sort of bug, but it's clearly by design. I honestly don't think the game would have the same amount of impact if you could just command him with a button press. I can see how some wouldn't like it because it's really not a game for people with little patience, but it's really unfair that it's pegged as some sort of flaw.
You're mischaracterising the grievance because you like the game so much. People don't think it's a bug, they just think it's annoying. And you go on to say it would be just as effective if it wasn't in the game!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Megasabin posted:

They have that support in the handheld arena, and since Switch is there new handheld I'm guessing that will continue, but in reality people will buy their console just for Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash/Starfox/F-Zero. The last Nintendo console I've owned is a gamecube, and I've never owned a DS, but they seem like they will be more than fine.

Switch is not their new handheld. Nintendo has said straight up that the Switch is a home console first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said I don't think it would have the same impact.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For me there's gotta be some compromise because I NEED to know that a command I entered actually registered. For games or any other kind of software, that's just something that if I don't have it I'll go nuts.

Granted I haven't played the game but from reviews it sounds like there's not.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Akuma posted:

You're mischaracterising the grievance because you like the game so much. People don't think it's a bug, they just think it's annoying. And you go on to say it would be just as effective if it wasn't in the game!

He didn't say that at all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me there's gotta be some compromise because I NEED to know that a command I entered actually registered. For games or any other kind of software, that's just something that if I don't have it I'll go nuts.

Trico's got a few tics that amount to "no, I'm not doing that." Usually when he responds to a command with a loud screech it's a sign to try something else.

Conversely, whenever you give him a command that he does listen to he usually responds immediately - like if you tell him to go forward and jump on something he'll snort and tense up for the leap.

The only area where I really had trouble getting him to listen was during a certain water puzzle where you need him to dive below the surface and swim while you're hanging onto his back. The AI doesn't respond to "forward" commands properly in water, so I had to trick the AI by hanging onto him while he was doggy-paddling on the surface and then climbing down so the kid was submerged beneath the water. Once that happened, Trico's AI must have gone into "follow" mode because he dove down right away.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 15, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

I said come in! posted:

Switch is not their new handheld. Nintendo has said straight up that the Switch is a home console first.

This is incorrect. It absolutely is their new handheld. Just because they straight up said it, doesn't mean anything, especially if you look at their history.

They said the same exact thing about continuing support for older handhelds when the DS and 3DS came out, and within 2-3 months all production had stopped. If you take a look at the 3DS's future line up, you will see that it has suddenly gone from robust to extremely anemic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trico actually gives you a ton of feedback in terms of body language and it becomes obvious very quickly when you're trying to make him do something that's not gonna work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been watching someone play the Last Guardian all day on Twitch, and they've had zero issues with Trico, making me think the complaints are coming from complete retards. This is making me want to buy the game now because i've been basing judgment on people who don't pay attention and assuming the game just had weird rear end mechanics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It might actually drive you nuts anyways , but it's not quite what you are thinking. Its not like you are generally left wondering if something has registered. It's more like, trico needs to go some place and part of the game is coaxing him to do it, but it's sometimes not as easy as aiming in the direction you want him to go.

The best way I could describe it is that sometimes Trico can be confused, but I haven't felt like the game itself is confused. It's not like something is failing to register on a technical level IMO.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I said I don't think it would have the same impact.
Sorry! Misread.

In any case, people don't like it on a design level. Different experiences resonate with different people, you don't have to make out like they're factually incorrect because they don't like something you do.

Weirdly I feel like we've been here before...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I'd believe them if the Switch hadn't been so painstakingly designed to work as a handheld, and if the 3DS release calendar wasn't barren past February. The 3DS install base is large but the hardware is showing its age, and it'd be dumb for Nintendo to cut into the appeal of the Switch by releasing another different handheld. I bet 3DS is gonna go into maintenance mode as the budget option and slowly die off as Nintendo puts all their resources behind the do-or-die Switch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

I'd believe them if the Switch hadn't been so painstakingly designed to work as a handheld, and if the 3DS release calendar wasn't barren past February. The 3DS install base is large but the hardware is showing its age, and it'd be dumb for Nintendo to cut into the appeal of the Switch by releasing another different handheld. I bet 3DS is gonna go into maintenance mode as the budget option and slowly die off as Nintendo puts all their resources behind the do-or-die Switch.
I only realized it yesterday when I saw one to scale with a WiiU controller but the Switch is omg huge and will not fit in anyone's pocket. I am really thinking that they have made a white elephant that isn't going to be particularly good as either a portable or home console.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

As a primordial dwarf I'm pretty excited for the Switch controllers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only realized it yesterday when I saw one to scale with a WiiU controller but the Switch is omg huge and will not fit in anyone's pocket. I am really thinking that they have made a white elephant that isn't going to be particularly good as either a portable or home console.
Look forward to the Switch Micro

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you bark a command at Trico he barks back in a very recognizable way, same as if you were talking to your own cat while gesturing at the food bowl and it meowed back at you in response.

If you bark too many orders at Trico at the same time he looks at you like you're crazy.

It's absolutely brilliant.

I said come in! posted:

I've been watching someone play the Last Guardian all day on Twitch, and they've had zero issues with Trico, making me think the complaints are coming from complete retards. This is making me want to buy the game now because i've been basing judgment on people who don't pay attention and assuming the game just had weird rear end mechanics.

This is basically what the uphill struggle has been on these boards, trying to convince the average cynical wait-and-see goon that the game is good, because the first impressions that everyone got from lighting fast review deadlines were from absolute idiots that either had no patience, no attention span, or didn't understand the point of the game in the slightest.

veni veni veni posted:

It might actually drive you nuts anyways , but it's not quite what you are thinking. Its not like you are generally left wondering if something has registered. It's more like, trico needs to go some place and part of the game is coaxing him to do it, but it's sometimes not as easy as aiming in the direction you want him to go.

The best way I could describe it is that sometimes Trico can be confused, but I haven't felt like the game itself is confused. It's not like something is failing to register on a technical level IMO.

I think this is a good way to put it, and is accurate for almost the entire game, granted a few hiccups.

The whole point is that they can't really ever cross the language barrier, but the friendship persists and deepens in spite of that, and both the trico and the boy develop a sense for how to motivate each other that's tied to things like hunger, pain, exhaustion, excitement, desire for fresh air, fear, and hesitance.

Really there's never been anything like this game, I mean the bug testing, pathfinding, quality assurance, and difficulty balance for this project must have been unbelievably taxing for such a small team.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eh, people's pockets already contain phones anyway. Nintendo's competing with phones now, and they can't beat their ubiquity or portability. They can only compete on game quality, so it's probably a good idea to emphasize controllers and good visuals and sacrifice on pocketability. If the Switch has a good enough library, it'll have a permanent home in many backpacks and laptop bags.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

Eh, people's pockets already contain phones anyway. Nintendo's competing with phones now, and they can't beat their ubiquity or portability. They can only compete on game quality, so it's probably a good idea to emphasize controllers and good visuals and sacrifice on pocketability. If the Switch has a good enough library, it'll have a permanent home in many backpacks and laptop bags.
Don't get me wrong, honestly that's what I want from a portable system too. I just thought I was in the minority and most people wanted something the size of Nintendo's portable devices up to this point.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is basically what the uphill struggle has been on these boards, trying to convince the average cynical wait-and-see goon that the game is good, because the first impressions that everyone got from lighting fast review deadlines were from absolute idiots that either had no patience, no attention span, or didn't understand the point of the game in the slightest.
Yeah, I was definitely a victim of that, plus I never expect games that have been delayed for years to turn out good. I guess I will get it at some point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dooooooooomed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 3DS XL is also generally too large to fit in a pocket, it's not really something they've been concerned about for a while.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

acksplode posted:

The Wired interview with Reggie makes it sound like the online service ties into a smart device app quite a bit which is interesting. The in game voice chat is done through your own smart device. Pretty loving weird. I wonder if there are going to be more mobile apps that tie into the games because that might help with the portability and off set the lovely battery issue. You can do all the busy work poo poo from games on your phone while you wait for a place to charge your dead Switch.

Here is the wired interview: https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sakurazuka posted:

Dooooooooomed

yowza!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Housh posted:

The Wired interview with Reggie makes it sound like the online service ties into a smart device app quite a bit which is interesting.

Nintendo has had a godawful track record at integrating the Internet into their systems so it's kind of laughable they say they're going to start charging for online for what sounds like a social media style app.

Housh posted:

I wonder if there are going to be more mobile apps that tie into the games because that might help with the portability and off set the lovely battery issue. You can do all the busy work poo poo from games on your phone while you wait for a place to charge your dead Switch.

Let's not get crazy here. Nintendo has barely surpassed the PS2-era DNA style online. They haven't shown they've learned any lessons from anyone over the years and they're not going to turn into some kind of online savant overnight.