Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Hihohe posted:

It looks like bokoblins just pickup whatever to attack you with. Just like farming equipment and brooms and poo poo.

I look forward to wacking the forces of evil with a mop.

Didn't they do this in Wind Waker too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So is the voice acting only during cutscenes? Because it seems the NPCs are the same old grunts and other noises with on screen text for dialogue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mahoning posted:

So is the voice acting only during cutscenes? Because it seems the NPCs are the same old grunts and other noises with on screen text for dialogue.

A while ago they said it'd only be for important cutscenes, yes

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mahoning posted:

I hope so, full voice acting is one of the most monumentally stupid decisions the games industry ever made.

I can't wait to catch every horse in Hyrule like they're Pokemon. :allears:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rime posted:

I hope so, full voice acting is one of the most monumentally stupid decisions the games industry ever made.

You can have five.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Do horses respawn? can I kill every horse in hyrule?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Rime posted:

Err, what? I don't think Zelda is a game that needs full voice acting, but other games having it is not a mistake if it's done correctly. For example all the banter in Final Fantasy XV was a pretty integral part of the game experience.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Didn't they do this in Wind Waker too?

The least weapon-like weapon in Wind Waker was sticks, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder how many hours I'll spend in the game just roaming and farming for consumables before even bothering with the next shrine or dungeon. New powerful runes? gently caress that I found a forest glade where I can gather 20+ rare mushrooms and herbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

Side by side comparison looks like the Switch is clearly an upgrade from the WiiU. The WiiU looks like the draw distance is less and and textures are at least 1-2 steps down if comparing to the standard "med-high-ultra" for PC settings. Same frame-rates allegedly so hopefully no crazy slowdown.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 14, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Megasabin posted:

Err, what? I don't think Zelda is a game that needs full voice acting, but other games having it is not a mistake if it's done correctly. For example all the banter in Final Fantasy XV was a pretty integral part of the game experience.

I mean, full voice acting kinda ruined Fallout 4 forever

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Augus posted:

Fallout always had full voice acting, what ruined it was giving the player character one as well. I don't think that will be a problem with Link

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

El Burbo posted:

Fallout always had full voice acting, what ruined it was giving the player character one as well. I don't think that will be a problem with Link

What ruined Fallout was

*granny voice* Yes you just need to go over to that village over there. *normal woman voice* They should know about the dragon *deep man voice* Good luck on your travels.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

What ruined Fallout was

*granny voice* Yes you just need to go over to that village over there. *normal woman voice* They should know about the dragon *deep man voice* Good luck on your travels.

But The Master was cool

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Augus posted:

Ruined is an over exaggeration. It was a fun game, but it wasn't much of a "classic" Fallout game like 3 and NV. It really wanted to be a gripping 3rd person action game like Mass Effect plus with a Minecraft building feature.

Whether or not VA ruins a game is usually down to the player perception of being removed from the role as the PC. If Link suddenly had lines of un-voiced text dialogue and could select multiple responses to questions it would probably be controversial as gently caress but nowhere near those lines being voiced.

I've never played a game franchise where the inclusion or lack of VA dialogue suddenly ruined the game for me and I'm amazed at the mentality "Link's never had dialogue it has to stay that way!" when the entire radical development of BoTW stemmed from the new devs being brought in and questioning the far more experienced staff on why things are done X,Y,Z instead of a different way. Once you break out of that mindset of traditional=good you can channel creative energies into something that has the potential to become far better then it could've been if stuck to a stock formula.

Just look back and how in 2001/2 the community flipped the gently caress out at Wind Waker and Cel-da because it was so completely different from what they wanted in a new Zelda game but WW turned out to be arguably the best Zelda. Then flash forward to 2006 when Twilight Princess was hyped to gently caress and back for being exactly what everyone wanted but its not nearly as well regarded.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pentyne posted:

I wonder how many hours I'll spend in the game just roaming and farming for consumables before even bothering with the next shrine or dungeon. New powerful runes? gently caress that I found a forest glade where I can gather 20+ rare mushrooms and herbs.

I really hope there's a ton of quests and interesting people to find and help out there, I don't want the world to be loving dead and empty without poo poo to do outside of the main storyline quests.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

I really hope there's a ton of quests and interesting people to find and help out there, I don't want the world to be loving dead and empty without poo poo to do outside of the main storyline quests.

There's something interesting around the corner in pretty much everything we've seen by now. Even if there's not, there's a ton of ways to kill Bokoblins.

I can't wait to go Wile E. Coyote on those fuckers

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pentyne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

Side by side comparison looks like the Switch is clearly an upgrade from the WiiU. The WiiU looks like the draw distance is less and and textures are at least 1-2 steps down if comparing to the standard "med-high-ultra" for PC settings. Same frame-rates allegedly so hopefully no crazy slowdown.

You're also comparing an older build to a newer one, so I think it's very possible this video isn't accurate.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I want to explore all the interesting ways to set things on fire.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seriously I want to one day make a montage of Bokoblin murder set to Yakkity Sax.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Full voice acting is just another thing to get wrong, and is most commonly found in games that have clunky animations, laughable realism, and take themselves too seriously given how bad the former qualities are.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cojawfee posted:

In the treehouse stream the non Miyamoto guy said you can sort of tame dogs and they will follow you around.

Not only that, the dude tried to feed his horse and dropped the apple, then the dog came over and ate it. After it did it got attached to the guy and started following him around. Breathe of the Wild: Extreme dog taming action.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Terper posted:

Geralt-dono

im surprised PCgamer hasn't done geralt in the bathtub, except it's link

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Full voice acting is just another thing to get wrong, and is most commonly found in games that have clunky animations, laughable realism, and take themselves too seriously given how bad the former qualities are.

That's a really silly argument, especially because realism is not the be-all-end-all goal of a video game and "they shouldn't do something because they might get it wrong" would apply to literally everything in games.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That's a really silly argument, especially because realism is not the be-all-end-all goal of a video game and "they shouldn't do something because they might get it wrong" would apply to literally everything in games.

It's not an argument, it's an observation. That's where the stigma comes from. Bioware and Bethesda games havea certain reputation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's not an argument, it's an observation. That's where the stigma comes from. Bioware and Bethesda games havea certain reputation

There are games made by other companies that have had perfectly fine voice acting since the 90's. You're the only one with a grudge against it on-principle.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Rime posted:

The movie industry made it first. Not every movie needs to be a talkie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is Ganon's name in this Calamity Ganon then? Because when they came to that line the latin american dub said "the cataclysm known as Ganon"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it was supposed to be "the calamity, Ganon."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Ganon the Gerudo Typhoon.

Maybe this is supposed to secretly be a Western-themed game. I hope all those important NPCs/sages you meet get cool nicknames as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Ganon the Gerudo Typhoon.

Maybe this is supposed to secretly be a Western-themed game. I hope all those important NPCs/sages you meet get cool nicknames as well.

If TP pulled it off, I don't see why this game can't

Ol' Zelda "Eyebrows" McHyrule.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Maybe it's like a named seasonal weather event.

Calamity Ganon
Calamity Hilda
Calamity Ingo (this one didn't live up to its hype)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Calamity Groose

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm stealing the name Calamity for the epic fantasy series I plan on writing in about 4 years.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are games made by other companies that have had perfectly fine voice acting since the 90's. You're the only one with a grudge against it on-principle.

But I don't? Are you conflating me with someone else here? Or do you routinely attack people for arguments they didn't make?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

El Burbo posted:

Fallout 1 had full acting for talking head characters and the intro and ending, but not for interactions with generic or minor characters. It also didn't have any voice acting for combat if I remember correctly.

Cojawfee posted:

The Japanese name seems to imply this too. Grammatically you would interpret it as Ganon who is a calamity. Kinda like that one game, I think it was called "That Dragon, Cancer"? Or like in Final Fantasy Tactics how you had stuff like "Magic City Gariland" or whatever. In Japanese it used the same adjective-describing-noun form that Calamity Ganon uses.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So if dogs are tameable and work similar to how Wolf Link works, i'm going to assume Horse Link summons Epona as a tameable horse.

If that's the case, i'm liking how these non anniversary Zelda amiibo work. Not gating any features, just giving Zelda themed skins for stuff you can already have.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Maybe its both. this iteration of Ganon is a calamity known as Calamity Ganon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Calamity Ganon is the Wii U of Gannons

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

One of the treehouse guys called him "Calamity Ganon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Calamity Ganon and Wild Bokoblin